Bamboo - When is the best time to divide and transplant clumping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,941 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 07:24 AM

I have an Alphonse Karr planted too close to my property line, so I need to dig it up and transplant it further back onto my property. At the bottom it is about 2 feet in diameter so I want to divide it as well to make some new plants.

First question, when is the best time of year to do this?

Second, how many sections? I was thinking four nice sized sections, but these things are expensive, so the more the merrier as long as I don't set it back to far recovery wise.

In my post I sometimes express "MY" opinion.   Please do not feel insulted if your opinion differs from my opinion.  That is fine.  You get to have one, I get to have one.  Its kind of like they teach you in Kindergarten, but we don't even have to share.  Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 bepah

bepah

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 08:16 AM

Keith,

Bumbusa multiplex 'Alphones Karr' normally shoots in the fall (Septembner,October). As you know it is a clumping bamboo. You could break it up now, but any shooting it may do will be stunted as now is the time it is building strength for the fall.

If it were me (but I live in a different part of the country) and I felt it must be moved before the shooting, I would do it now (probably should have been done in February or so) in order for the expansion of the clump to be problematic if it crossed the fenceline.

You said that it is too close but not how far it was from the fence.

If you want to move it, dig up the entire clump (it will be heavy) and try to find 'cracks' in the rootball in order to determine the divisions. Never let the roots dry out and pot up your divisiions ASAP. Lots of water over the next few days and hope for the best. I do not think you will have any die, but recovefry may be a year or so, even if you are doing it at the correct time.

Good luck!
John Case
Brentwood CA
Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden
USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer
"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

#3 FRITO

FRITO

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

Keith,

look into trench layering. you can get about 20 plants from growth from the nodes on one cane.

http://pubs.caes.uga.....ting Clumping

culm cuttings are an option as well. I am going to try propogating one way or another with regular B multiplex at my mothers house.

I want to get some more exotic types of B. multiplex like alphonse karr and 'silvestripe' keep me updated on your progress.

My black P. nigra shot up 3 new culms after just 1 year in the ground.
Luke
Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a
63" rain annually
January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73
North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

#4 MattyB

MattyB

• IPS MEMBER
  • 17,352 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 02:06 PM

I don't really understand what they're saying to do in that propagation link.
Matt Bradford
"Manambe Lavaka"
Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)
10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)
9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

#5 Creekside

Creekside

• IPS MEMBER
  • 462 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:09 PM

Alphonse Karr is not a good candidate for trench propagation, but is very easily done by root divisions. Do it now before new culms start emerging. (This won't affect the success of the divisions, but you'll lose less culms, as any new ones would most likely die off.) Dig it up and just slice through it with a reciprocating saw (not a cordless) with a toothy blade, then pot up each division so the roots don't dry out and water them well. A loose organic mix with lots of pine bark works well. Make the divisions as large or as small as you'd like, but keeping at least a few culms in each will almost guarantee success and subsequent vigor. This method has worked well for me for 20 years. Keith, do you have a photo of the clump?
Catherine Presley

Old Miakka
& Phillippi Creek
Sarasota

#6 popper1

popper1

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:09 AM

I got my Alphonse Karr a few years ago as a division off a friend's plants. We did this in late winter/early spring, taking a 2 or 3 culm piece (it was difficult to get a larger piece). The 1st year we had 2 new culms come up. The next year we had about 25, last year nearly twice that. This will be its 4th summer and it is about 4' in diameter. Here in Florida it adds new culms starting in spring and continues until it cools off.
david

#7 Walter John

Walter John

explorer

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 14,430 posts
  • Location:Darling Downs and Sunshine Coast Hinterland, Queensland , Australia

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:59 AM

Whatever happened to your alphonse karr bamboo Keith ? Did the transplant and propagation work out ?
Happy Gardening
Cheers,
Wal
Queensland, Australia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users