IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Croton "on fire"...

ThunderSRQ

This may very well be more than one plant grown together as a clump (I couldn't tell since it's so thick) but, does anyone know what type (or types) this may be? (this was taken in Sarasota, Florida out on one of the islands so it could be a sub-tropical type -- zone 10 or 11)

P1030856.jpg

P1030857.jpg

Thanks...

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Tim,

It looks like a Mammie with one helluva prolific sport.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Which is correct Mammie or Mammey? I see it both ways but never knew what is the accurate one.

We have a grouping of this and it sometimes sports a big leaf mutation. I have tried to root these to see what would grow from it but they never take.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

Sports should hold their form if they are able to root. Try an air layer for nearly 100% success.

The spelling I'm unsure about now that you mention it.

Ray

Eric,

Sports should hold their form if they are able to root.

Ray

Ray,

Thanks a bunch for that ID info. -- can you tell me what you mean by a "sport"? (and is that why this plant is so thick/lush?). I'm thinking I might try to contact the owner of this plant to see if there is something special that has been done to it or if it is a unique hybrid.

Tim

Sarasota, Florida USA (zone 9B) - 1 acre with approx. 91 types of palms & many other plants/trees

My two favorite palms are Teddy Bears and Zombies... zombieteddybear2-compressed.jpg

Tim,

Crotons are by nature genetically unstable plants. Sports are branches with different genetic characteristics than the original plant. In other words, the plant just randomly decides to send up a branch with leaves different than the mother plant. It's a mutation of sorts but fairly typical with crotons.

From your picture, the sport seems to be a more prolific grower than the original plant. The mother plant, Mammie, is a dwarf never getting much above 3 or 4 feet tall. The sport doesn't seem to like those height restrictions very much and looks like a taller, more leggy variety.

I hope this helps,

Ray

Tim,

It looks like a Mammie with one helluva prolific sport.

Ray

Yeah....Ive got a gazzilion Mammies and many of them have shot off sports. Its pretty cool how Crotons do this.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry,

Did you make it to Phil's on Saturday? His croton collection is staggering.

Ray

Larry,

Did you make it to Phil's on Saturday? His croton collection is staggering.

Ray

Yes I did make it...and yes his collection is fantastic! There are probably more varieties there than I have ever seen in one place.

Your collection aint bad either bud!

Of course, I cant ID any of them...even half of them that are in my yard :mrlooney:

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

The correct spelling is Mammie. No seriously, I looked it up in the croton book. :lol: Oh....I have plenty to sell if anyone needs them. :lol:

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The correct spelling is Mammie. No seriously, I looked it up in the croton book. :lol: Oh....I have plenty to sell if anyone needs them. :lol:

Jeff

I'll definitely need one next Friday... :rolleyes:

Hey Ray, how come YOU weren't at that CFPACS meeting? I thought for sure you'd be there. I wanna see your garden. I was very happy to meet Spock, Larry, TikiRick, and Marge and to see Christian again. Those gardens gave me some desperately needed motivation. The array of crotons at Phil's place was staggering. I'm going to miss Searle's sale again, darn it. I'll get there one of these days. :(

Aloha, JungleGina

Zone 9b, Sunny Sarasota, Florida

Hi Gina,

I was in Biloxi, MS last weekend but would have loved to attend the meeting. Send me a PM anytime you'd like to come up and see my garden.

Ray

• 4 years later...