• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hola de Costa Rica - IPS Biennial

PALM MOD

If someone down there sends me some of those high altitude coconuts, I'll make it worth your while...

I get by with a little help from my fronds

Have fun guys! Looks to be a great experience. Will start making plans for Brazil and Thailand.

Bo you must be in vestiaria heaven.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wow!, I am kicking myself for not going to the Costa Rica meeting with you guys, but after the So Cal fires I just lagged and was in a funk. Now I am totally jazzed up about Rio and Thailand. I will go to both of these wonderful places, I must see the Amazon before they burn it all down and Thailand has always been on my wish list.

Thanks, I will stop because that is one natural wonder that I have to see. Every time I see the news about the Amazon I get depressed at how much is being burned for pasture land and now for crops associated with ethonal production. The figures they talk about like acres of burn per year is staggering and scary, I just wish it could stop.

Gary

Gary

Gary,

Don't worry the Amazon is not burning down and I am sure it will be around for a long time. In order to get to Rio you have to fly over the place, so if you decide to stop coming or going I could show you some palms. I am planning on being in Rio in two years. I will start saving a little money now.

dk

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

Amazing Veitchia and Areca groves!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

That Corypha sure is small ;)

I didn't realize that areca vetiarias got so big :o I wonder how old that grove is???

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Came back a few hours ago from a truly incredible day with an aerial tram ride through the rainforest canopy and then a walk thru the forest, full of native palms and gazillions of other plants. Plus cute snakes and athletic monkeys. Just today all by itself was worth the cost of the Biennial! And there will be plenty of pictures posted. Count on it!

And Gileno - thanks a lot! We are all having a great time here in Costa Rica and everybody is looking forward to Brazil in 2010! :)

Bo Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bo, you must be in the other group, I wondered why I didn't see you today.

Since there are so many of us, they split us into two groups. The group I was assigned to went to the Arenal Hanging Bridges today. It was a beautiful day and there was a perfect view of the volcano as the few clouds near the top cleared after we got there. The giant Iriartea's we saw from the hanging bridges were unbelievable!

Tomorrow our group is going to the Poas Volcano and then to La Paz Waterfalls and Gardens. I think Bo's group is headed to Carara National Park over on the Pacific Coast. It should be another great day!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

WOW. Fantastic pics!! I really, really wanted to go to this Biennial, but a new job and family obligations dictated otherwise. How safe is Rio de Janeiro? I have heard some stories, but I guess it all depends on what path you get off on. I hopefully should be able to make the Thailand event, since it will be a good excuse for my wife to spend time with her family in Singapore.

Meanwhile keep the pictures coming (even though it is heartbreaking not to see it in person!!!) :angry:

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County

Thru a difficult chain of events I finally logged in in COSTA RICA!! Pura Vida! What an Awesome place! So far its been awesome, (you can see some other pics in Deans birthday thread, Happy Birthday again Dean, this time via Palmtalk)

You`ve seen some pics here, over on Deans, thread, so I`ll just add that today we spotted a couple poison dart frogs, a LOT of spider monkeys passing thru, a Toucan, several birds, and a Black Panther crossed the road in front of our bus and climbed up the slope in front of us!!

IF i can steal Andrea`s pic, here we are. Or at least the number 4 "Chamadorea" OXCART bus. We constitue about 1/4 of the attendees in the pic, taken near the continental divide on the Carribean side.

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?ac...st&id=27888

If that works, I must say its harder to use the hotels spanish keyboard computer!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm sure this is the best attended Biennial ever. If that photo is only 1/4 of the attendees, it would be nice if you could get the entire group together for a photo shoot, or at least photos of the other groups. I'm sure Costa Rica has never seen a group lilke this before. We are enjoying your trip.......keep us stay at homes posted. A black panther across the road? That must have been a rare sighting. Look out for the Flur De Lance. I hear they lurk in the mountains where palms grow. Very poisionus and they are big.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

Just for everyone's viewing pleasure I've taken the liberty of enhancing that photo para ver las caras.

post-1155-1210187157_thumb.jpg

Great pics - even my 10-year-old daughter, reading the thread with me, was in awe at the Corypha and Arecas! (After explaining a few things from earlier in the thread...) :bemused:

Catherine Presley

Old Miakka

& Phillippi Creek

Sarasota

Just for everyone's viewing pleasure I've taken the liberty of enhancing that photo para ver las caras.

For everyone's furthered viewing pleasure, I've taken the liberty of further enhancing that photo. I didn't know they had bunnies in Costa Rica.

post-126-1210195574_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

For everyone's furthered viewing pleasure, I've taken the liberty of further enhancing that photo. I didn't know they had bunnies in Costa Rica.

Actually, Bill looks more like an Optunia than a bunny.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I am really envious! Looks like you guys are having a great time and I just sat in traffic on the interstate for an hour at $3.75 per gallon. Ugh. Moving to the jungle looks better everyday.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Actually, Bill looks more like an Optunia than a bunny.

Gee, I don't remember being that hoppy when the picture was taken. :huh:

Oh yes, it is harder to use a Spanish keyboard!!!

First, I should correct yesterday. We saw a JAGUARUNDI, not a Panther, still, quite rare.

As for today, not much happened other than we left for the Arenal Volcano late because people did not let the guides know if they were going that day or not, so we left only to pull over 30 mins later to let a Taxi drop off Bilbo to us, we went to see the Volcano, saw and heard howler monkeys, saw lava flow, a lot of pictures, stopped by a group of 20 foot tall Red Lipstick palms only to somehow see the seeds fall to the ground, have another truck knock the mirror loose on our bus in a turn, have a blowout on an inside tire 20 mins. later, which we changed in a half hour, and have disco dancing in the bus aisles on the way back.

But other than that, an uneventful day. :rolleyes:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill is just barely scratching the surface on what our day was like. And you WILL see pictures!! :mrlooney: All I am saying at this point is that when we arrived back at the hotel, almost two hours late, people were booing because they didnt want the fun to end..... :lol:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Forgot the camera did we Bill ? 20 foot lipsticks if you please !!

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Photos will definitely be posted of people actually climbing that Cyrtostachys.... :)

Rick!

What are you talking about, "moving to the jungle?" You live in a jungle, and a beautiful manicured one at that. I can feel for you being stuck on the freeway as it happens in California all to often, but gas in San Francisco is already over $4.00 a gal., and climbing.

Dick

• Upvote 1

Richard Douglas

looks like everyone is having a BLAST!

looking forward to seeing all the pics.....be safe you guys! We want you all back in one piece!

Yes please tell us. For everyone's heightened viewing pleasure, I've added numbers.

post-1155-1210340259_thumb.jpg

2 aussies there are 43 - John Price, 37 - Jean Price

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

John,

I'll give it a try. There are at least 12 active PalmTalk members in that shot.

38 licuala (Paul Craft - outgoing IPS President)

8 is me.

5 jdapalms (Jerry)

34 Trinidad Bob

33 Jerry TreeZoo

13 Jeff Searle

14 Co Moderator (Angela)

15 Moderator (Dean)

16 Darold Petty

22 elHoagie (Jack)

20 BS Man About Palms (Bill)

24 Kathryn

Jeff, great pics of the Areca vestiarias jungle! Where is Herrero brothers farm located? I would like to stop by there. See you & Bren in MA next week.

I`m jumping in to edit Bo`s and I think I can get quite a few

John,

I'll give it a try. There are at least 12 active PalmTalk members in that shot.

38 licuala (Paul Craft - outgoing IPS President)

8 is me.

5 jdapalms (Jerry)

34 Trinidad Bob

33 Jerry TreeZoo

13 Jeff Searle

14 Co Moderator (Angela)

15 Moderator (Dean)

16 Darold Petty

22 elHoagie (Jack)

20 BS Man About Palms (Bill)

24 Kathryn

1 don`t know

2 ^Johnny^our cheif guide

3 LeAnne

4 Cindy Andersen

5 Jerry

6 Judy Glock 2

7 Andre, Bo`s son

8 Bo knows

9 Andrea Searle

10 Andres

11 Judy 3

12 Dan , new Palmtalk member?

13 Jeff Searle

14 Angela

15 Dean

16 Darrold

17 Georges

18 Barry

19 Allen, AVB, Kims bro.

20 BS Man

21 Ron Keifert

22 Jack

23 Lindsey, La Hoagie

24 Kate

25 Craig, Kates date

26 Mrs Arnold

27 Rod or Ron, I think Rod

28 Judy 1

29 Lyle Arnold

30 JayAnn

31 Jim Glock

32 Lawrence Davis

33 Jerry

34 Mr Wilson

35 Paul 1

36 Larry Noblick

37 Mrs Price

38 Paul Craft

39 Paul 2

40 Anders

41 Bill Simpson

42 Linda Simpson?

43 John Price

So, I guess I can`t get No. 1 and Ryan snapped the pic I believe using Angelas camera.

BS Man

Every day just got better and better. Today off to Corcovado for a post tour. :):):) I haven`t seen a monkey yet, but all the other groups have, so bring on the monkeys!! Photos eventually...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

It's been a great trip so far! Unlike Kim, I got to see some monkeys :mrlooney: We're sitting in the hotel waiting to fly out to Manuel Antonio for another week. It was great meeting fellow palm talkers and I think you'll see a lot more IPS members signing on. All of the palm people I met have been wonderful people!

Here are a couple shots from La Paz waterfalls

100_1542.jpg

100_1555.jpg

Arenal Volcano..shot taken from a high suspension bridge, I believe they said 140ft up

arenalvolcano075.jpg

arenalvolcano076.jpg

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Just in case y'all were wondering why I was hiding behind a camera in Bill's photo, here was the reason. Our "official" photographer hardly gets his own picture taken and of course this is the notorius blue bus, aka Chamaedorea bus, aka bus number 4 of which stories will be told for many years to come. :rolleyes:

Pablo

post-19-1210520255_thumb.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

This little guy was found sleeping in some Iriartea stilt roots. Nearly everyone who walked on this trail for several hours got a chance to photograph him. Although he may look imposing here, he was perhaps just a bit longer than 6 inches.

Eyelash Viper

post-19-1210521160_thumb.jpg

Paul Craft

Loxahatchee, FL

Here are a couple of random Costa Rica photos.

One is a truckload of Bactris fruit on the way to market and the other is related to Pablo's earlier post.

post-1325-1210527907_thumb.jpg

post-1325-1210528065_thumb.jpg

Larry Davis

Time flies like an arrow,

But fruit flies like a banana

Larry,

It was nice meeting you in C.R.

I came to enjoy those Bactris fruit. Hopefully I can find some in Hawaii. I remember those crazy guys in that truck as they passed us. Hopefully I can find some in Hawaii.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Here's a few more from Costa Rica. I trying to figure out how much to reduce the files and post photos, more than trying to pick out the very best ones right now. And, I haven't identified the palms correctly, either. I just got back.

post-1325-1210530341_thumb.jpg

post-1325-1210530368_thumb.jpg

post-1325-1210530386_thumb.jpg

post-1325-1210530399_thumb.jpg

post-1325-1210530564_thumb.jpg

Larry Davis

When the Bus 4 picture was put up, someone asked about a photo of the full group. This is about as close as I have to a full group photo. It is the first lecture at Inbioparque (I think that was the name) on Sunday evening. They have a very nice amphitheater. The first lecture was on Hearts of Palm and conservation of the endemic palm species (I think. It was a good time for a nap). The other lecture was on the Palmetum in the Canary Islands, and it was very interesting - I had no idea.

post-1325-1210537855_thumb.jpg

post-1325-1210537882_thumb.jpg

Larry Davis

When the Bus 4 picture was put up, someone asked about a photo of the full group. This is about as close as I have to a full group photo. It is the first lecture at Inbioparque (I think that was the name) on Sunday evening. They have a very nice amphitheater. The first lecture was on Hearts of Palm and conservation of the endemic palm species (I think. It was a good time for a nap). The other lecture was on the Palmetum in the Canary Islands, and it was very interesting - I had no idea.

Yeah Larry, If I had to have one complaint, is that there was no area or time for a "designated group photo". Yours comes pretty close with I bet about 90% attendance.

BS Man.