IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Februari Weather Thread

Exotic Life

forcasters were off last night for me. I bottomed out at 26.5.... isnt gonna hurt anything that was already hurt. :o  airport registered 25 when the forcast was 31/32 eeek.

weekend warmup expected.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Wow, my north Florida brethen got hit hard.  I woke up this morning at 37 and a light frost which left me muttering under my breath, but now I feel fortunate.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It's been quite mild and nice the first half of Feb here.  Things are really springing to life and growing.  So far the first 2 weeks of Feb we have averaged a high of 75.5F and a low of 47.2F.  The average high for this date is around 67-68F, so that is about 7-8F above normal for the high.

You know ,beleive it or not I get tired of bashing weathermen... But  it is just so easy! :;): If I was that bad at my job I would be embarassed to say what profession I was in. The last two cold spells they haven't even been close. They were  7 degrees  high on the last little front,that came through before this one.Last night the forecast was for 48F ,my low was 37.2F. That is 10F degrees off high ,no mention of frost naturally at the forecasted 48 degrees. What the heck do these guys do ,throw darts??? :angry:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Actually, it got down to 41.4F this morning at 7:44am, after I had already left for work. The backup thermometer said 43.2F but it is actually under foxtail canopy.  Should be chilly again tonight.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Back to spring here in Louisiana for a few days, but with a projected 38 for Monday night, so if the pattern so far holds true will mean close to a freeze in NW Florida for Tuesday of next week.  

Wait, this is a projection by weather service, never mind.  They don't have a clue.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(gsn @ Feb. 14 2008,22:27)

Last night the forecast was for 48F ,my low was 37.2F.

Scott-

About the same here!

The forecast said 46F, but my thermometer said 39!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

lol.... they predicted 26 last night and I only got to 34.4....

Keith, you were on the west side of that high pressure over northern alabama... they spin clockwise so it was funneling down cold artic air here while pushing up warmer moist air on your side of the high.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Tuesday night:  our final cold snap?  Could be major.   Weather.com already says 34, NOAA is still at 39 though.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

(cobra2326 @ Feb. 16 2008,09:50)

Tuesday night:  our final cold snap?  Could be major.   Weather.com already says 34, NOAA is still at 39 though.

Well with their recent track record that puts the over/under at 24F to 44F! :angry:   ???

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(Tyrone @ Feb. 06 2008,15:17)

(keiththibodeaux @ Feb. 05 2008,10:25)

I sure look forward to the day when I read a temp in "C" and know what it is in "F" without having to go look it up in a table.  :D  :D  :D

Sorry for the C temps. I can't think in anything but Celcius. To convert my statements, here in Perth we are averaging 72F min and 97F max. Right now near midnight its 86F.

regards

Tyrone

just continue writing in C°.

This is an IPS forum...

and writing in C is using a metric system

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

February has been a cool one at least in the high temps, 5-10F below normal with highs at 60-67F due to clouds, moisture.  this might be the coolest february in the last 10 years.  Lows have been 39-49F, so the chance for a freeze event is about nonexistent.  The last overnight freeze was in early january.  The cool days/clouds do have a side benefit.  The desert wildflower season promises to be a real eye opener this year.  Once every 7-8 years enough rain falls to make an astounding carpet of purple, gold, red, and blue wildflowers on the north slopes of the mountains.  This is going to be one of those years with some areas getting as much as 11 inches of rain since early december.  My palms would prefer the heat, but we dont have to worry about lack of heat here, it'll be there soon enough.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Ok, after a little colder period with some frost in the night's but at daytime tempeture's above normal ... we are going mild again... The forecasted for the weekend are perfect! But too mild ;)

Normal daytempeture 7C/44.6F and nighttempeture 1C/33.8F

23-02

Daytempeture 11C/51.8F

Nighttempeture 6C/42.8F

Cloudy... but dry

24-02

Daytempeture 14C/57.2F

Nighttempeture 7C/44.6F

Sunny so maybe some higher tempeture's...

25-02

Daytempeture 10C/50F

Nighttempeture 8C/46.4F

Little sun with some clouds

26-02

Daytempeture 11C/51.8F

Nighttempeture 6C/42.8F

Cloudy

Also no rain... the first forecasted rain is for the end of this month.. i've got the last rain on 5 Februari.

Robbin

Southwest

Tom,

When would be the optimum period to see the wild flowers, and where? I used to fly over S. Calif. and Arizona and some areas would be orange with poppies. This may be a rare opportunity this year since we have been in a drought mode for some years. N. Calif. is green and lush now with all the rains and then a couple of weeks of mild sunny weather........and more rain on the way.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Over night low at 47.4F @ 4 am, highs in the low to mid 60's today(10 deg below normal).   Humidity is 45% now and it drizzling, only in arizona does it start raining at 45% humidity.  Last evening before sundown, my wife watched a lone cloud in the blue sky evaporate(disappear) right before our eyes in 10 minutes.

Tom Blank

(PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 22 2008,07:42)

Tom,

When would be the optimum period to see the wild flowers, and where? I used to fly over S. Calif. and Arizona and some areas would be orange with poppies. This may be a rare opportunity this year since we have been in a drought mode for some years. N. Calif. is green and lush now with all the rains and then a couple of weeks of mild sunny weather........and more rain on the way.

Dick

This year due to the consistently low temps, it will be mid to the end of march.  I will be hiking the lost dutchman state park in the superstition mountains(near apache junction) within a few weeks and will post a pic.  I have never seen such a spectacular display of wildflowers in my life, so ironic that it happens in the desert, and then its in its full glory, perhaps only once a decade.  And you're right Dick, those golden poppies can be seen for miles.  when you're on the ground its even better with the purple lupine and other varieties(reds and yellows) more visible up close.  I even found rust orange daisies with blue centers last big bloom.  Hopefully this one will be like in the year 2001.  Then there will also be spectacular blooms of cactus flowers after the poppies go.  Rain in the desert changes everything, browns go to greens and flowers everywhere, I can hardly wait.  The filiferas and phoenix palms will also be glowing in greens blues and greys in a month due to our higher than normal rain.

Tom Blank

3 yrs ago the winter rainfall broke records all over California. Death Valley literally flooded - the spring was magnificent  -  http://www.pbase.com/brianowski/deathvalley

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Tom,

I am sure that is a beautiful sight.  I have never seen the wild flowers in your area.  One of the most beautiful sight is when the wildflowers bloom in the high alpine meadows of the norther Rockies.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Supposed to see some rather cool air move in by the mid part of next week. Supposed to get down into the low to mid 40's in my area with lots of upper 30's in the colder areas around Tampa. Of course the Pinellas County side of the bay has nothing to fear.  Probably won't be any freezes or frost from this one though.

Rained a bunch today and very warm and humid. The whole yard is definitely in recovery mode now. If we can get through the next week or two without any major mishaps then my palms will be off to the races.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Same here in Louisiana, just a day earlier.   Tuesday night and Wednesday night are each forecast with lows of 38, and the high won't break 60 on Wednesday.  Then it is back to spring, like today.  It sure was georgeous.  Spent the day outside cleaning up and doing odd jobs.  Had to resist planting, but with wet soils and two cool days ahead, it was easy to talk myself out of it for one more week.

Yep, NOAA is saying 34F, weather.com 35F wed. night here for me.  Temps have been very warm and nice.  I really don't want to see 30's any more after the warmth and humidity we've been having.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

February's Weather Data for my Yard in Tarpon Springs, FL

FreeWX monthly summary for February 2008

There are 29 entries in the selected almanac file

covering the period 1 February to 29 February.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maximums and minimums

Maximum temperature: +82.9 °F at 15:31:00 on 17 February

Minimum temperature: +39 °F at 07:34:00 on 14 February

Maximum humidity: 100 % at 19:45:00 on 26 February

Minimum humidity: 26 % at 12:04:00 on 11 February

Maximum dew point: +72.1 °F at 17:08:00 on 26 February

Minimum dew point: +20.5 °F at 05:09:00 on 28 February

Minimum wind chill: +28.4 °F at 07:36:00 on 28 February

Maximum heat index: +83.3 °F at 13:29:00 on 26 February

Maximum barometric pressure: 30.36 In.Hg at 12:14:00 on 29 February

Minimum barometric pressure: 29.71 In.Hg at 07:16:00 on 13 February

Maximum wind gust: 25.7 MPH from 228° at 17:46:00 on 26 February

Maximum indoor temperature: +80.2 °F at 17:40:00 on 17 February

Minimum indoor temperature: +69.3 °F at 08:09:00 on 11 February

Averages

Average temperature: +64.7 °F

Average maximum temperature: +74.5 °F

Average minimum temperature: +54.9 °F

Average humidity: 69 %

Average maximum humidity: 93 %

Average minimum humidity: 44 %

Average dew point: +52.9 °F

Average maximum dew point: +60.9 °F

Average minimum dew point: +44.9 °F

Average minimum wind chill: +51.1 °F

Average maximum heat index: +78.2 °F

Average barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average maximum barometric pressure: 30.1 In.Hg

Average minimum barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average indoor temperature: +75 °F

Average maximum indoor temperature: +77.3 °F

Average minimum indoor temperature: +72.7 °F

Rainfall summary:

(Entries are for the 24 hours Midnight to Midnight on the indicated dates)

7th February - (0.04 In.)

8th February - (0.08 In.)

15th February - (0.08 In.)

18th February - (0.08 In.)

20th February - (0.08 In.)

21st February - (0.08 In.)

23rd February - (0.36 In.)

26th February - (1.31 In.)

27th February - (0.04 In.)

Number of rainfall days: 9

Maximum rainfall rate: 30.04 In./hour at 17:42:00 on 26 February

Total rainfall for February: 2.15 In.

Average of daily peak wind gusts: 15.2 MPH

Average of daily peak wind gust direction: 230°

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Thanks for your thorough data, Larry  :D  as we close out the month & greatly lower chances of frost

Februari was an unsettled month of some rain & cold though nothing damaging

AVE MAX: 69.2F / 20.6C - NORM: 71F / 21.6C

AVE MIN: 50.1F / 10C - NORM: 52F / 11.1C

HIGHEST MAX: 84F / 28.8C

LOWEST MAX: 56F /  13.3C

HIGHEST MIN: 58F / 14.4C

LOWEST MIN: 43F / 6.1C

RAINFALL

1.90" / 4.82cm - MONTH

20.00" / 50.8cm - RAIN YEAR [JUL-JUN]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

In El Sereno...

avg max: 21.1C (70F)

avg min: 8.8C (48F)

highest max: 30.1C (86F)

lowest min: 5.6C (42F)

rainfall: 23.2mm (1 inch)

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...