IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Layered Planting

MattyB

Many of us have small gardens and still want to plant many species without overcrowding it all.  One thing I learned when I first started getting into palms is you can plant several different species very close to one another without overcrowding by having the appropriate sized plant having the desired growth rate.  For example I have planted all within a few feet:  (1)A. cunninghamiana, (2)Ptychosperma elegans, and (1) Ravenea glauca.  The A. cunninghamiana is the biggest, Ptychosperma medium sized, and the glauca the smallest.  The Ptychospermas crowns will never get into the Archontophoenix, and the R. glauca will never reach into the Ptychospermas.  So, as they grow this layered canopy is full, yet spacious.  What examples of layered planting to you guys have?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt,

where is the picture?? :(

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

sorry Bo wrong computer (stupid home dialup).  I'll have to post a pic later.  Can't you use your mental palm imagery?  Such a master garden planner as yourself must have the gift.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt,

That's not a problem. I just wanted to know if your reality lives up to my imagination! :)

And I love the layered look. Here's some Phoenix roebelenii (YES, I have Phoenix!!) at the bottom, some medium sized Cyrtostachys renda (to the right) and (of course) Clinostigmas above them.

Bo-Göran

post-22-1156577625_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And, YES, more Phoenix roebelenii, with (barely visible)Pinanga coronata just behind and above them, and (of course) towering over these, a row of Clinostigma samoense. This photo is taken just outside the entrance to our property.

post-22-1156577899_thumb.jpg

I use layering more for protecting against frost than to keep them from getting over crowded. I can take overcrowding more than I can losing to frost.

Here are some foxtails protecting me kerriodoxa, Licula peltata and kentiopsis.

100_1055.jpg

And washingtonias protecting a small Neoveitchia just to the right of the coccos.

100_1057.jpg

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

You're dead on Matt. For me it's about getting a jungle feel without that crowded look; also assuming that one, (sun lover), will filter the sun for another. My latest attempt at this are two Queens separated by about 15 feet, with a Pinanga javana & a Hedyscepe in their "shawdow zones". A different tack is a close planting of a Caryota Urens, which lives fast & dies young, and a no windows Beccariophoenix. I'm try to look a few years down the line...Anyway, great topic..

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Bret,

My experience is that Beccariophoenix 'no windows' is much slower when grown in shade compared to full sun.

Bo-Göran

I'm glad to see master gardener bgl uses lots of Phoenix roebelenii in his jungle paradise.  They are the "Rodney Dangerfield" of palms, but I love their look and their small size.  They are perfect for tucking in under bigger palms since they will grow in sun or shade and don't take up much space and grow fairly fast.

Fred Zone 10A

La Cañada, California at 1,600 ft. elevation in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains just north of Los Angeles

(MattyB @ Aug. 26 2006,01:40)

What examples of layered planting to you guys have?

These were all large transplants so it was easy to see how they would fit together.  Taken at night:

Butia capitata

Trachycarpus fortunei "wagnerianus"

Chamerops humilis

with small Dioon edule, Trithrinax schizophylla, and Rhapidophylum hystrix in the foreground and background (not visible)

post-376-1156653741_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Dear guys  :)

excellant topic & very nice pictures.

and post no.5 the layered planting of

palms in bo goran's property is very

pleasing to the eye.around 3 layer of

palms are seen in it ?

this techineque is new to us in india,it does

appear to be very neat & tidy.

thanks for sharing.

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Nice pics everyone.  Here's the King, double Ptychosperma and R. glauca I was talking about.  Obviously they are small still but I think you can get the idea of their separation in size vs growth rate.

post-126-1156781887_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"