IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Size of photo attachments

ruskinPalms

Hi Dean,

I have recently been experimenting with compressing photos to fit the 112640 byte limit. I feel that uploading photos directly to the forum server may be better than using iffy photo hosting services that may go out of business at any time resulting in a 1000's of broken links to photos making most of my posts less than useful. I think this forum should be able to stand the test of time and not be subject to such failures. However, I have found the 112640 byte limit to be very restrictive to posting at the quality that I am accostomed to by using photo hosting services. Is there any way that this limit can be raised using this current forum software ??? Incidentally, I have noticed that Gileno Machado has been able to post photos in his recent "Palm Garden in Sergipe, Brazil" thread above the 112640 byte limit. I also have noticed that he is an IPS Member. Are IPS members allowed to post above the 112640 byte limit? If so, I understand. This would be yet another incentive to become an IPS member, which I plan to do once you have all the bugs worked out of the online registration and credit card payment system. Thanks for any info. By the way, I originally wanted to send this as a PM, but I really don't know how to start a new PM (embarrasment).

Thanks!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill,

Let me first say that Dean is travelling today, but will hopefully be able to respond soon. One thing I can tell you is that IPS members do NOT have any special privileges when it comes to the size of the photos we post. Apparently the current software has this restriction, and we've been discussing for quite some time to switch software (LONG story...), but it hasn't happened yet. I don't know how Gileno was able to post photos that are above the limit but maybe he and Dean can fill us in? I'm very interested...

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Dear Bo Goran & Dear Dean  :)

even i have similar request like any other memeber is that we like to request the board to make some arrangement for 800x600 res with a file size of 125 or 150 Kb.since the main res & clarity chunk falls i that region.and this will help guys like me who keep posting stills too often.i do not find time to keep editing all my images...so my uploading action is limited ! and for that reason i have used photobucket account..

And dear Gileano Michado can you tell me at what res & file size you are uploading to our IPS server ? that will be a very useful peice of information that all of us will love to know.so as even we can tweak our setting in our softwares...both in our camera & the comp's photo editing software !

thanks & love,

Kris  :)

love conquers all..

43278.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill, Bo and Kris:

Well, I really don't know...When I hit the reply button it shows that I'm allowed to attach a file up to 215 KBytes !

In the old board the limit was about half of this and I thought it had been upgraded for everyone...

I usually photograph in the highest resolution, which results in pictures of ~1 Megabyte. The resizing program I have installed allows me to reduce the photo resolution into 3 different sizes, at my choice: large, medium and small...Depending on the photo, I usually resize them to the maximum allowed size, which is just under some 200 Kbytes and then attach the file to the post directly. I hope this helps...

And thanks Kathryn for PMing me about this thread...I don't usually come to the Administration forum, so sorry for not replying in time.

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

This is just a test. The photo attachment is 117KB.

Edit: Wow - it worked! So, Dean is there a new official limit now? 215KB like Gileno says...? ???

post-22-1201825766_thumb.jpg

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

News to me. Nothing I have done. Let me do some checking.

Bo, Try posting something larger, around 200 KB. Without a lot of tech talk. Bytes are not the same as bits, so kilobytes and kilobits has been confused so much the meaning is useless. Quote from Wikipedia --- "The exact number of bytes in a kilobyte has traditionally been ambiguous. " So your post may still be under the old limit depending on the program reporting the size of your file.

When I post, it says my limit for an attached file is 102400 bytes. Are others seeing something different?

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Weird.

As Dypsisdean it says my limit is 215040. Clearly something is happening. I'll do some more research.

Testing large file again.

post-11-1201847098_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

test - 224KB

post-22-1201852233_thumb.jpg

Well,

Thanks to Bill's inquiry, we have discovered a way to offer the ability for IPS members to attach larger and more detailed photos to their posts. See the main forum for a more in depth explanation in the pinned topics.

Thanks a lot Bill. Your observation made it obvious the possibility existed (and was already partially in play), and made me search until I figured it out.

Notice that we will continue to try and limit photos to a horizontal width of 1024 pixels. On most monitors, anything larger will cause all posts on that page to need scrolling from side to side. In Bo's previous post his horizontal width is 1280. And as you may notice (unless you have a very good monitor), scrolling is necessary for the entire page.

Again, a more detailed explanation is available in the Discussing Palms Forum.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

I guess it depends on the size of the monitor/screen. I have a 22 inch monitor and the entire photo fits on the screen so I don't have to scroll.