IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

COLD COMING TO CALIFORNIA

happ

NWS-LOS ANGELES 01-18-08 1500

. . .ALL EYES TURN TO THE NORTH AS A REMARKABLY LARGE AND

COLD TROUGH DROPS STRAIGHT SOUTH OUT OF WESTERN CANADA AND TAKES AIM

ON CENTRAL CALIFORNIA. THE COOLING TREND BEGINS SUNDAY AS THE TROUGH

BECOMES ENTRENCHED OVER THE CENTRAL PART OF THE STATE. ALTHOUGH THE

MODELS SHOW SOME DIFFERENCES IN THE EXACT TRACK AND DEPTH OF THE

TROUGH...THE OVERALL MESSAGE REMAINS THE SAME. NORTHERN AND CENTRAL

CALIFORNIA...AND EVENTUALLY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ARE IN FOR A MAJOR

PATTERN CHANGE WITH MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES AND PERHAPS A LITTLE

PRECIPITATION ON THE WAY EARLY NEXT WEEK.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

In Fallbrook last night we got down to 28.1 with a good frost.

UGLY

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

WE have had one of our coldest winters here on mississippi gulf coast. I have massive queen palms that have been through extreme cold spells, but this year they might be done. so much for global warming. my trachy's can't wait for it to warm up.

stephen lee

weatherunderground.com has the worst of it occurring next Wednesday morning. My forecast is 30F, the lowest forecast this winter. The next morning is 33F, and it's back in the 40s after that.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Once again, the temps. in Walnut Creek are hoovering right around or below freezing at 5:15 AM and it's not daylight yet. There is some very cold air here, and there is even colder air on the way. I don't like the looks of this. This could be nasty, and will be the second time this year I'll be covering things with sheets. I can only hope for some wind or cloud cover in the coming days. Damn, I was hoping to get the Parajubaeas through this winter without damage.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(scl113074 @ Jan. 18 2008,21:46)

WE have had one of our coldest winters here on mississippi gulf coast. I have massive queen palms that have been through extreme cold spells, but this year they might be done. so much for global warming. my trachy's can't wait for it to warm up.

We've had an above average winter here in TX, only a small handful of freezes, and barely any temps below 30F - got down to 27F one night.  Queens look fine around here, no damage.

on wen. or thursday i had frost on my window and it was 6:45 a.m. :(

sd mannnn

plz ignore my awful grammar

apparently zone 9b or 10a i donno

I hate winter!  One lousy night at 39 F. and everything looks haggered and "old" but it wasn't so cold as to cause frond necrosis.  What does that mean?  Means I look at this tanned mish-mash until May!  We won't even talk about the broad-leafed tropicals!  Not a pretty sight; no my amigoes, not too pretty at all! :(

Palm Dr.

(Good luck, SoCal!!!)

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

(happ @ Jan. 18 2008,15:41)

NWS-LOS ANGELES 01-18-08 1500

. . .ALL EYES TURN TO THE NORTH AS A REMARKABLY LARGE AND

COLD TROUGH DROPS STRAIGHT SOUTH OUT OF WESTERN CANADA AND TAKES AIM

ON CENTRAL CALIFORNIA. THE COOLING TREND BEGINS SUNDAY AS THE TROUGH

BECOMES ENTRENCHED OVER THE CENTRAL PART OF THE STATE. ALTHOUGH THE

MODELS SHOW SOME DIFFERENCES IN THE EXACT TRACK AND DEPTH OF THE

TROUGH...THE OVERALL MESSAGE REMAINS THE SAME. NORTHERN AND CENTRAL

CALIFORNIA...AND EVENTUALLY SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA ARE IN FOR A MAJOR

PATTERN CHANGE WITH MUCH COLDER TEMPERATURES AND PERHAPS A LITTLE

PRECIPITATION ON THE WAY EARLY NEXT WEEK.

This seems all-to-familiar, Chuck!

Oy Vay! :(

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Looking at Weather.com, I am showing the worst to be Sunday at 39 degrees:

http://www.weather.com/outlook....eclared

I could not find a way to forcast past 5 days with weatherunderground.com.

Terry, I am amazed we can be that far apart in degrees of cold.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

It got cold, though I forgot to put my instruments out.

I noted some seriously damaged Howea f's in La Mirada, just down the road a piece from here.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Len - Saturday morning my birdbath froze, but my sensor in another part of the yard only read 36F. The Oceanside Airport recorded 29F that morning. Third 29F this year.

If you drive Hwy 76 west to I-5, notice how you have hills north and south closing in tighter as you get close to the coast. I think that gap gets too narrow for the cold air to flow out to sea during an offshore event. No flow equals trapped cold air.

Len - The weather forecast has changed for the better since January 18. No worrisome numbers now. To get a 7-day forecast, click on "detail" for any day in the forecast, then scroll down lower. Not the easiest website to use.

We may have dodged the "snowball" Mother Nature threw out into the Pacific but this week will be very cold nonetheless  :(  Quite unstable - hail was reported in the Bay Area.

Today was the coldest day of winter for many areas:

San Francisco: 49F/9.4c

Los Angeles: 56F/13.3c

San Diego: 55F/12.7c

As we know, long periods of cold days leave their mark on palm fronds.  Frost is not the only problem of winter [ie wind/minimums in the 40's or lower for weeks  :o

Pablo,hola mi amigo & good to have you with us on this fine forum  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It got to 38 F last night.

Brr. Felt a lot colder.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The temp. has been a flat 40 to 41F for the past 24 hrs in Walnut Creek. Moist and overcast, but at least not freezing, but it feels cold. I can live better with the weather than I can the damn stock market today. We are headed for a world wide recession. It's happend every time oil prices shoot up.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick

Life is depressing though weather nerds are in heaven  :laugh: driving up into the mountains looking for snow

Lots of action out in the Pacific heading our way - looks like some "heavy-hitters" in the rain & snow departments  :P  

LA: 60F/15.5c

46F/7.7c

Rain: 0.18

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(osideterry @ Jan. 21 2008,18:14)

Len - Saturday morning my birdbath froze, but my sensor in another part of the yard only read 36F. The Oceanside Airport recorded 29F that morning. Third 29F this year.

If you drive Hwy 76 west to I-5, notice how you have hills north and south closing in tighter as you get close to the coast. I think that gap gets too narrow for the cold air to flow out to sea during an offshore event. No flow equals trapped cold air.

I like this theory Terry...Now where did I leave my dynamite?  :o

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill - I was driving that way this morning, and noticed that the "flying bridge" literally closes the gap. Those new condos on the south side look like a good place to pull a Wile E. Coyote.

I have to think there would be a venturi effect, with icey high winds whistling under that bridge on our coldest mornings.

Terry, you'll have to take care of the SR-76, thats on the other side of the hill from me. I have to take care of the Oceanside blvd corridor.  :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If I could order weather, I could not have done a better job of what we have had in the SF Bay Area in the past few days. The temps. in Walnut Creek have ranged from 39F to 43F for several days, and we have recieved pulse after pulse of rain. This may seem cold to some of you, but this is a critical time when we could get hard freezes, but the big, slow moving low has remained over the Pacific and mixed with  subtropical air and the tems. have been moderated.

There will be another low moving in tomorrow replacing the one that is moving past N. Calif. now, and it too will be over the Pacific and temps. moderated. There is still a third low further north headed our way. It could make a more direct hit on California and bring colder temps. I hope it stays over the ocean. Rain and cloud cover for the next 5 days sounds good to me. This is my unscientific report.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Good summary, Dick  :D

I understand your situation but maximums in the 40's for much of NorCal is rare/unwelcome  :o coastal valleys around LA also recorded 40's/low 50's.  This was the coldest day since recording a maximum of 49F/9.4c in 1988 [all-time record.

I think we hit bottom today as the airflow mixes in moisture along the subtropical jet.  Some are predicting up to 10"/0.163cm of rainfall this weekend.  Surprisingly the hillsides in the burn areas haven't experienced landslides [even in sporadic cloudbursts

50F/10c

42F/5.5c

Rainfall: 1.50"/.245cm

Storm: 2.11/.345cm

Month: 7.35/120.4cm

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(PalmGuyWC @ Jan. 24 2008,07:33)

If I could order weather, I could not have done a better job of what we have had in the SF Bay Area in the past few days. The temps. in Walnut Creek have ranged from 39F to 43F for several days, and we have recieved pulse after pulse of rain. This may seem cold to some of you, but this is a critical time when we could get hard freezes, but the big, slow moving low has remained over the Pacific and mixed with  subtropical air and the tems. have been moderated.

There will be another low moving in tomorrow replacing the one that is moving past N. Calif. now, and it too will be over the Pacific and temps. moderated. There is still a third low further north headed our way. It could make a more direct hit on California and bring colder temps. I hope it stays over the ocean. Rain and cloud cover for the next 5 days sounds good to me. This is my unscientific report.

Dick

Dick,

Since you have been growing palms there, what is your all time record low.

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

Back in the 70's, 80's there were several winters in the low 20's, but I didn't keep records. My all time low was 14F in the 89/90 freeze and it lasted about two weeks, with several nights in the upper teens. One day of that freeze hardly got above freezing.

Dick

Richard Douglas

snow still all over the hamilton and diablo range. Diablo has melted for the most part, but I was just in San Jose today and there is snow all over the mountians. They acutally have forecasted sleet/scattered showers today.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Zach

It's been a yoyo down here.  Low snow levels followed by heavy rainfall up to 7000' [huge meltdown that came to a halt once the cold front passed over.  Light snowfall reported in both the Tejon & Cajon passes tonight [4000'/1219km

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

After over a week of almost constant rain, and drizzle, and moderated temps. a cooler, dryer air mass moved over N. Calif yesterday. The clouds were coming directly from the south but now are coming from the West and it's chilly this morning with a temp of 35F, and probably frost on the roof tops. Yesterday is the first day of sunlight in over a week. Chance of showers later today and the two following days.

Dick

Richard Douglas

We're about a day behind NoCal. Thursday morning is supposed to be our lowest in the 10-day forecast, at 33-34F for my area.

Heads Up :o

NWS has lowered night temps to near freezing in some of the valley areas for much of the week.  A weak front may shift winds to the NNW and clear the clouds out.  The cold airmass overhead continues to persist with very chilly day temps.  In-fact NWS-LA noted that this month has been the coldest Jan [for day temps] since 1979

It looks like the same into early next week  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

More of the same in N. Calif. It's been overcast and drizzling off and on all day and the high was about 48F. Now as evening is approaching, I see patches of blue sky to the West.....where the clouds have been coming from. If it clears, we could have a wet freeze...........which is NOT good.

Dick

Richard Douglas

High here today of 53F after a low last night of 37F. Should stay in the 40's tonight with scattered showers. January will soon be over!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

I was just discussing with my wife tonight that it seems like the daytime temps this winter have been WAY below normal.  It's just been downright cold most days.  So it's interesting to see this confirmed in LA, Happ.  I just checked for San Diego, and December and January daytime highs have been 4-5 degrees below normal on average (nighttime lows about 2 degrees below normal as well).  That's pretty significant I think.  No wonder it's seemed so cold.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Darn Global warming! I wish it would hurry up and get here!@$%&#