IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm soil

Surf Guy

I mix mine like PiousPalms does and I water every two days in the summer if we get no rain. This is a good mix for here. I sometimes add ground up pine bark when I can get it and that works well also and cuts down on the peat.

David

Hi everybody, this is in my experience "the best" soil for more than seedlings here in my sunny, and very dry part of the world.

I think Sonorapalm has the same problem than I, here in spring and summer the soil is HOT, so if the soil drain very quick you can be in trouble.

What I am doing right now is small composted wood chips mixed whit sand and top soil, sometimes I add perlite and on top of the pot usually fill whit 2 inches of worm humus, (humus de lombriz don't know if it is well traslate to english). Also feed the palms with osmocote, nutricote or any other slow release with micronutrients.

The best part of the thing is... it's free, and the big wood chips are used to mulch the soil.

• Upvote 1

Alicante (East coast of Spain)

Mediterranean climate, very hot and dry summers and mild almost frost-free winters.

Poor rain average.

How do you determine the liming rate for your media? And which sources of calcium and magnesium do you prefer for palms? I have been using some magnesium oxide with good results.