IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New purchases

Shon

Made two new purchases this past weekend.Actually it was more than that but these two were new to me.They are a Dypsis moorei and a Dypsis mayoette.Anyone in So Cal have any experience with these as far as how much sun,speed,etc.Thanks in advance for any info.

Shon

San Marcos CA

i have a dypsis mayotte island in full sun,been in the ground about 6 mos.& its doing very well.

good luck with yours!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Thanks not knowing exactly where you live that sounds promising considering the summer we have had.If it survived this summer in full sun I don't have much to worry about.

Shon

San Marcos CA

Hey Shon!! I got one in filtered sun and it grows about the same as alot of other Dypsis for me. I've had it for 4 or 5 months and it just opened it's second frond. :o

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Shon,

Here's a pic of the D. 'mayotte island'.

I would guess it grows in pretty much the same conditions as D. lanceolata, since they are so similar.

post-11-1156402272_thumb.jpg

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

(Shon @ Aug. 23 2006,23:07)

Thanks not knowing exactly where you live that sounds promising considering the summer we have had.If it survived this summer in full sun I don't have much to worry about.

Shon

i live in san diego about 2 miles southeast of s.d.s.u. :;):

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(Shon @ Aug. 24 2006,11:40)

Does anyone know about the moorei?

Shon! Dear friend! I believe you have a palm that I don't!  I'm speechless.  lol

Therefore, no info...Post a pic?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Shon,

I have a D moorei, but I can't say too much for sure about it.  It hasn't done that well for me, even in my greenhouse.  It puts out leaves regularly, but hasn't really gotten any bigger, and has had some fungal issues.  I've seen palms at Jerry Andersen's (probably where you got yours) from the same batch that are definitely doing better than mine, so I think mine is just a runt.

The only interesting thing about mine is that it just split, or maybe more appropriately it "branched".  It still looks like a single stem, but pushes two leaves at a time from the center of the crown at exactly the same time.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Thanks Matt.That's exactly where I got it.The only thing Dan could tell me was that it was slow.It is a pretty good sized five gallon.I just don't know where to put it.Full sun or give it a little protection?I think I will take a conservitive approach and give it some protection.Bill, it is about time I have something you don't have. I am also building up my numbers to join the container ranch club.What is the minimum amount of palms in pots to qualify?

Shon

San Marcos CA

(Shon @ Aug. 26 2006,09:28)

Thanks Matt.That's exactly where I got it.The only thing Dan could tell me was that it was slow.It is a pretty good sized five gallon.I just don't know where to put it.Full sun or give it a little protection?I think I will take a conservitive approach and give it some protection.Bill, it is about time I have something you don't have. I am also building up my numbers to join the container ranch club.What is the minimum amount of palms in pots to qualify?

Shon

I once asked this question previously and was amazed at how many potted specimens we all have. Every year I say to myself, no more, but I just don't seem to listen to myself.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

(Shon @ Aug. 25 2006,19:28)

Shon

Shon, Its not the quantity, its the lack of quality (care) !

So, I would say with about 10 pots, you're well qualified, BUT, you must have at least a FEW that you constantly forget or don't have enough time to weed, preferably one or two that have started to root into the soil!

See, its not the fact that they are in pots, DeezPalms (Dave) has managed a very beautiful arrangement of them!

You really need enough that you have to attempt to "corral" them, thus the "Ranch". This could be due to too many, not enough time, forgot in a back corner etc.

I think Dave in La Habra is a founding member, he just doesn't know it! :P  lol

All "Ranchers" are welcome! Just have a few palms that you "let roam free" so you can corral them later!  :cool:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(Wal @ Aug. 25 2006,19:40)

(Shon @ Aug. 26 2006,09:28)

Shon

I once asked this question previously and was amazed at how many potted specimens we all have. Every year I say to myself, no more, but I just don't seem to listen to myself.

Wal- I have even got to the point I mentioned to a neighbor that I had more palms than I could take care of and I was going to stop getting any for now.....

They called me on it when they saw me unloading a few not even 24 hours later :o