IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

1-3-2008 lows, FL and S.E.

Eric in Orlando

Dropped to 31F here at Leu Gardens and is back to 34 now at 7:15. The cable connecting our weather station to my computer failed yesterday so I can't tell how long it was at 31F until I hook the new one up. Tender foliage on the drive in looked mostly alright, a few bananas burnt but not all the way wilted. The bananas and heliconias in my yard weren't black and wilted and the coconut still looked green.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

According to the weather channel, the low in Destrehan (10 miles west of the New Orleans airport) was 23°F. The temperature was 34°F at a location one foot off the ground and one foot from my house. At another location six feet off the ground and six feet from my house, the temperature was 27°F. I think the official low at the airport was 29°F. There was not any frost, which is my main concern during the winter.

Last night I moved a few large potted palms closer to the house, but didn’t protect anything else. Everything looks good so far.

That's good news.  

We were at 34-35 for maybe 5 hours in Vero Beach.  It will have been cooler inland, but it looks like the citrus should be fine.  I don't have the statistics, but the grapefruit groves west of town look like they have a great crop.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Here in my garden in N.W. Tamp I bottomed out at 28.3F/-2.1c. Went below freezing around 3am, at 8:45 went back above. I can see that my Caryota urens did not like those temps at all, but the Caryota no just a few feet away looks fine at this time. My 2 large Ravenea rivularis do not look happy.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

23F at my house.  No noticable frost as I was leaving for work today at 7:00am.

Had a temp of 31F at 8:00pm last night.

Definitely excited that we did not reach the forecasted low of 17 or 18F.

Have a few hundred of P. sylvestris youngsters that would not fit in the greenhouse.  Didn't think they would necessarily kick the bucket, but was expecting them to be torched.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I'll post here too.  27.0F in spring hill, dropped below freezing at about 11PM.  Hit the low at around 2AM and it held there until sunrise.

Driving to work, which goes through carrollwood in tampa, the bottles and adonidias didn't even look affected, but it may be too soon to tell.  I saw a few weather stations in that area, and they all read below 30F.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Lows summary around the state----

My yard in Tarpon Springs - 29.3F!

Tampa - 28F

Clearwater - 30F

St. Petersburg - 34F

Vandenberg AP - 30F

McDill AFB - 29F

Orlando - 32F

Melbourne - 34F

West Palm - 35F

Ft. Myers - 32F

Jacksonville - 26F

Pensacola - 23F

Miami - 39F

Ft. Lauderdale - 39F

Naples - 34F

Key West - 45F

I believe the Key West temperature set a record.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 03 2008,09:20)

Key West - 45F

I believe the Key West temperature set a record.

Holy poop!  Anyone on here from the keys?  According to weather.com, the previous record there was 46F in 1898!

I remember some of the folk from Australia saying that the lipsticks there were really suffering at that temp!

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Visual snapshot of temps at 715AM.  The freeze made it all the way to Broward/Dade.

1-3-08-715AM.jpg

Larry 

Low was 23.3 here in downtown Natchez, 19F at the (coldspot) airport in the countryside to the east. Currently 28.0F at 8:56am, we hit 32 at about 7pm so it looks like we'll have a 15-hour freeze. 9 hours below 28F, 4 hours below 25F. At least there was no frost. The booby-prize.

A light cirrus shield did move in overnight from the west, this may have saved us from dropping further, but still not to a huge extent...and from here east it was widespread upper teens or low 20s. At least it looks like the level of cold in Florida was overblown by the forecasters. That's great news!!!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 03 2008,09:34)

Visual snapshot of temps at 715AM.  The freeze made it all the way to Broward/Dade.

1-3-08-715AM.jpg

Thanks for the visual Larry--

Looks like my neighborhood, east of Lake O, was in a nice "warm" bubble of 38-40F. Unfortunately, my plants are now in St Lucie Co, in the 28-30F belt. Doesn't look promising...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Thanks for the summary, Larry.  Sorry to everyone who had freezing temperatures.  I have been following FL weather very closely in the last month to prepare me for my move.  

This data continues to support my desire to move to St. Pete and just deal with the almost daily commute to Tampa.  

The noaa site said there was "light snow" in Naples for a couple of hours in the middle of the night!  :o

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Glad I'm on the warm side of the lake!. I don't think I saw lower then 39 in my area. :D

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

(PiousPalms @ Jan. 03 2008,10:04)

Larry, where did you find that cool chart?

NWS Melbourne!

They are not always good at making forecasts, but their "after the bomb has dropped" charts are always cool!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/ldis/4km/ADAS_temperature.htm

Larry 

(redant @ Jan. 03 2008,10:47)

Glad I'm on the warm side of the lake!. I don't think I saw lower then 39 in my area. :D

Yeah...you were on the good side of this one!

Every time one of these things blast through I am continually reminded of things I already know.

1)  BE NEAR WATER!

2)  Wind direction means everything.

Larry 

BTW - After 8 years in my current location with pretty much all Zone 10 years......it feels good to be back into 9b again  :P

29.3F this AM :D

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 03 2008,10:58)

BTW - After 8 years in my current location with pretty much all Zone 10 years......it feels good to be back into 9b again  :P

29.3F this AM :D

Ummmm, i think there is some medication for that,  Larry! :laugh:

i was happy with this morning, but  only because it wasn't as bad as i had feared......... but i would be happier if the fronts reversed direction and pushed me up to Zone 11. :D

...anyway, somewhere around 34 this AM at Jackass Flatts.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Not as bad in Houston as forecast low of 30F.  I got down to 34F for maybe an hour.  Back up to 38F by 7:00 a.m.  Still one more cold day today with a high of 50F before the warmup begins.  All in all a strange cold front as the worst of it bypassed us in favor of the Southeast and Florida.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

my meter bottomed out at 23.0 degrees. only palm that look to have any apparent damge so far are tiny tiny 2 leaf washingtonias (collected from local tree) look lke pure robusta. my filiferas and filibustas look great.

bird baths and dog water bowls all frozen over.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

After hitting 28.3F this morning it looks as if my Raphia farinifera took the worst hit, it looks to be 100% damaged at this time. Dypisis ambostrate(?) looks to be 75% damaged.Royal 60% damaged.Foxtail palm 60% damaged the 3 Adonidias ,the bottle and the spindle show no damage at this time.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 03 2008,09:34)

1-3-08-715AM.jpg

Yes!  Thank you for doing that!

I save these as a part of my record of freezes in the area.

Brevard County, Fl

Jimbeam-

Heres another snapshot from 545AM.

1-3-08-545AM.jpg

Larry 

got lucky to only hit 37 here, we had a little cloud cover that moved in late so it saved all of us texans from getting nasty!

Surgeon83,

I dont live there but did alot of research and everything I saw said not to attempt a daily commute across the causeways to tampa from St pete.  that is assuming you enjoy your sanity!!!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

(galveston1602 @ Jan. 03 2008,13:48)

Surgeon83,

I dont live there but did alot of research and everything I saw said not to attempt a daily commute across the causeways to tampa from St pete.  that is assuming you enjoy your sanity!!!

I make a similar drive (from Tarpon Springs to NE Tampa) and yes.....one must change their view of what is "sane"  :P   My commute is 65-70 minutes each way, but I put up with it because I like where I live and have family nearby.  So, its either be close to work or close to the rest of life, so I make the drive  :D

Larry 

29F or so at my place at 0500.

When I get home from slavery today will do a looksee.  At 0500 everything was ok looking.

( a bad freeze makes papayas look like boiled spinach in short order, i.e. that same night as well as some other plants, mine were ok.)

please x cuse my grmmr and spiling

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

The freeeze was over hyped here --perhaps 27 or 28F in Jax. at the lowest.  low dew points were there but wind kept temps up.

I slept in and it was 33 when I got up ..  

All this worry for nought, ---clipped alot of large cycads and palms for nought.

Best regards,,

Ed

Here in Pembroke Pines, the coldest I recorded was 44.1 F in my backyard which is fairly protected from the wind. I haven't heard yet from places further west, which may have seen a frost. I was not brave enough to check the mercury thermometer out in front during the night, it was cold enough indoors.

Ryan

South Florida

26F at my house.  Luckily the space heater kept the temperature above freezing in the greenhouse.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

(Alan_Tampa @ Jan. 03 2008,14:03)

( a bad freeze makes papayas look like boiled spinach in short order,

Alan-

My papayas look as described!

I just cant figure out how all the boiled water got 20 ft up though :P

Larry 

So whats the deal with tonight?  Forecast for Larry's place is 41 and it's 46.4 there right now.  I'm forecasted for 35 and I'm 45 already...?  I hope we don't have a repeat of last night.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Lows of 27 and 29 last 2 nights.  Seems TX missed out on most of the cold, it went east of here.  No damage to my queen palm, everything else is hardy.

Sorry for all of those who experienced below freezing temps and damage to plants this morning. We really lucked out in Orlando - 31.8 F for only a half hour around 7 am, then back above freezing by 7:15, climbing to a balmy 36 by 9 am - can't remember the last time that I've been happy to see 36 degrees!

I am surprised how cold the Tampa Bay area got and how far into south FLA the cold air penetrated.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

here in Pinellas park got down to 37F went to bed around 3am was at 39F and recheck the temp for the morning was 37F check the palms did fine mostly wind burn due to the dry winds nothing major

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Our temperature bottomed out at about 34 degrees for around 5 hours. I covered the smaller, more cold sensitive palms and brought into the garage most of  the potted palms. I don't know   if anything was damaged yet. Everytime it gets below 45, I always loose the noni to the ground,  but it usually comes back.

It felt very cold with the moderate breeze.

:(

Hot and humid Loxahatchee Florida. 16 miles inland from

West Palm Beach in Palm Beach County

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 03 2008,10:54)

(PiousPalms @ Jan. 03 2008,10:04)

Larry, where did you find that cool chart?

NWS Melbourne!

They are not always good at making forecasts, but their "after the bomb has dropped" charts are always cool!

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/mlb/ldis/4km/ADAS_temperature.htm

Larry--

Thanks for that link. Just bookmarked it.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

(cobra2326 @ Jan. 03 2008,18:13)

So whats the deal with tonight?  Forecast for Larry's place is 41 and it's 46.4 there right now.  I'm forecasted for 35 and I'm 45 already...?  I hope we don't have a repeat of last night.

Cobra-

It ended at 38.8F in my yard earlier this AM.

Larry 

39.9F for a low this morning. The worst is over from this event now. By the way, NWS was spot on for my forcast for last night and this morning. They forcasted 29 for wednesday night and I got 29.7, the forcasted 40 for this morning and I got 39.9.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

On the Jax Southside we were forecasted for 25 Thursday night and 31 last night.  I bottomed out at 28.9 Thursday night/Friday morning and reached 32.7 last night.  I was prepared for much worse and very glad that my worst fears were not realized.  I know it will eventually happen, but I'd like to delay the inevitable as much as possible.  My yard would be torched at 25.