IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Counting it down

_Keith

645am 28.0F in the coldest, most open part of the yard in New Port Richey. Front (treed, street faces due west) 29.8F it hit freezing at 3am, winds died down considerably. It's gonna look sad in the next few weeks. New Years Eve at midnight was 72F dewpoint 71F light fog; what a difference and the worst case scenario is this quick cold snap after a week of 80F highs and humidity. Oh well, time to visualize the cleanup! Greg  brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

27.0 here, but like that since at LEAST 4am (I woke up and it was 27.1).  According to the AP, it's been 27 since midnight, but last I checked it was 30.6 @ 12:30AM, so probably around 1 or 2 it hit 27!  Soooo glad I protected the king, built a house around it w/ heater!  We'll see how the D. lutescens does.  No frost...

They missed the friggin forecast by 7F!  Weather.com is right again...

Oh, and what makes me mad is they forecasted tallahassee to be 5F warmer than us, and, of course, they were 2deg colder.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Looks like it has bottomed out at 29.7F here. It is now 29.8F with the sun up. Went below 32F at 330AM. Will be posting damage reports as it becomes more apparent.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

15f this morning for a low - actually warmer then the forecast of a 9f.....  Alot of people didn't go to work today...

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

My final post in this chain.  It bottomed out here at 26.2 degrees as the sun came up.   Can't assess the damage now, but to agree with an earlier post, it is gonna look sad for a while,,,,,,,,,but then spring will come and fix it all up.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Has anyone heard from Ray?    He has so much stuff in his yard.. I was worried about him - tried to call him, but he's not around.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 03 2008,09:44)

Has anyone heard from Ray?    He has so much stuff in his yard.. I was worried about him - tried to call him, but he's not around.

Bobby-

All of this might just have been too much for him.  Hes probably lounging around somewhere in Barbados by now  :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Bobby-

All of this might just have been too much for him.  Hes probably lounging around somewhere in Barbados by now  

Yeah, I don't know Larry..... I think he probably slept outside last night after spending the entire day covering everything...  

I'm getting a little nervous now about Tampa Bay....    I really have to convince the wife to move to broward... I'd be freaking out - I feel your pain with this weather.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby-

If you go to Broward, make sure its way way east!

1-3-08-715AM.jpg

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

It is amazing how living right on the coast makes such a big difference. I wish I lived even closer to the water. I bottomed out at 27.0 degrees.......our local tv forcaster was pretty close on his forcast of 26 degrees.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 03 2008,10:43)

Bobby-

If you go to Broward, make sure its way way east!

Bobby,

I have to say I totally agree with Larry.  West Broward can get about as cold as St. Pete.  During the Valentine's Day freeze, I believe they were worse off.  It all depends on the freeze event.

Tampa's a different story.  I think they hit 29 last night.  Here in St. Pete, our coldest area of the yard hit 33, another area of the yard was 36.4 (with a more accurate thermometer), so I'm guessing we averaged 35 for our lowest temp.  Even the birdbath wasn't frozen.

And yes, I kept getting up to go check.  Coffee was a serious necessity this morning.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(PiousPalms @ Jan. 03 2008,20:24)

Sunny, they make sleeping pills for that. :P

hehehe

If only I could be that wide-awake during corporate meetingzzzzz :D

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

• 2 weeks later...

You may have lucked out Sunny. Many areas of St. Pete are showing significant cold damage now.  It froze over the majority of the Pinellas Peninsula including the beaches.  Some areas look much worse than my garden does.  My lowest temp in the open was 30F.   It did not freeze (despite the windy conditions) under my oak canopy.  If Albert Whitted bottomed out at 33-34F, then it was freezing a short distance inland from there.  Very few escaped this one locally unscathed.

BTW Bobby, Ft Lauderdale airport was in the 30's too that morning.  You'd better look in the Keys.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 03 2008,10:38)

Bobby-

All of this might just have been too much for him.  Hes probably lounging around somewhere in Barbados by now  

Yeah, I don't know Larry..... I think he probably slept outside last night after spending the entire day covering everything...  

I'm getting a little nervous now about Tampa Bay....    I really have to convince the wife to move to broward... I'd be freaking out - I feel your pain with this weather.

Only two letters I can think of if I ever move from Tampa... HI

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

• 8 months later...

Yep. The shadows are getting longer and the days getting shorter. My most hated day of the year is when Daylight Savings Time goes away till next spring. What a bummer.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

This is a fun read,especially when you are sweating like a fiend writing a check on Saturday night in an account with a zero balance!I am personally looking forward to November-May!

What you look for is what is looking

The Autumn winds have blown away the polystyrene heat shields from the roof of my tin-hut office in the garden - as if to say, "let the fading October sun remind you of summer, for come the evening you will freeze!" - and thereby be reminded that Winter days and nights are on their way.

And now a poem