IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

How'd you make out in the FL Cold Snap?

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

I note that last night we were all yakking about how cold it was going to get, as I felt the temps at Ken Johnson's place here south of Miami fall and fall and fall.

But, no evident cold damage, though more cold weather is expected for this evening/morning.

But . . .

Tampa, Orlando, JAX, Tallahassee, YIKE, it got cold there.

So, how'd you all fare?

Sounds like you were getting prepared . . . .

Our joint crying towel is out and ready.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 02 2008,07:44)

Howdyall:

I note that last night we were all yakking about how cold it was going to get, as I felt the temps at Ken Johnson's place here south of Miami fall and fall and fall.

But, no evident cold damage, though more cold weather is expected for this evening/morning.

But . . .

So, how'd you all fare?

dave

Dave-

Not much going on up here (47F and some change at my house) in Tarpon Springs, or more or less the same as south FL (presumably due to the prodominant wind speed and direction).

Tonight will be the more evil of the nights if the forecasts are accurate.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Dave,51F. at my joint this morning.No mountain on the Stream yet but it is going to get cold tonight. I guess no one really has any idea how cold but it has everyone's attention,particularly the commercial guy's.

You may want to take cover in the Key's but then again I think it's great that you get to see a Florida cold event and I know the scientist side will find it interesting.Watch how fast it warms up.Hope your adventure is going well and you continue to have a great time!You probably should have ventured over to Hearne,Tx.,where they reported a record breaking high of 138F.or 59C.Very hot for Jan.2,2008!

What you look for is what is looking

Low of 40 this morning in Vero Beach near my house.  NWS has a freeze warning, but is still predicting a low tonight a bit above freezing.  Still pretty happy that I brought a bunch of potted stuff into the house.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Wow Bubba! 5 degrees warmer than my spot... I keep my palms a block and a half inland from the intracoastal and south of you in Lantana...  I guess water on both sides of you is what makes the big diff in temps...

Summary of Lows around the state this AM...nothing really all that bad yet.

My station - Tarpon Springs - 47F

Tampa AP - 43F

Vandenberg AP - 41F

Clearwater AP - 48F

St. Petersburg - 48F

McDill AFB - 39F

Orlando - 39F

Melbourne - 39F

West Palm - 45F

Ft Myers - 43F

Jacksonville - 32F

Pensacola - 30F

Miami AP - 48F

Ft. Lauderdale AP - 48F

Naples - 46F

Key West - 55F

Larry 

Here are the NWS graphical forecasts for tonight as of now.  Ive screen captured them so we can look back at them tomorrow and see how accurate they ended up being.

PAN.jpg

NE-1.jpg

EC-1.jpg

Larry 

I think I'll go camp out on buoy 41012 tonight.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

The temps at my house here in JAX got down to 35F.  Tonight will get down to 20F.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

The temps last night here in Davie weren't so bad but that wind is a killer.  I've got pots rolling around all over the place.  The sole frond on my Zamia variegata snapped clean off at the base.

South Florida

I made out great....last night.

Tonight, now thats something else entirely.

Supposed to get to 32F here by 9:00PM or slightly before.

Hey, but we made it to 42F this afternoon :D .  If it wasn't so damn windy....

I must say that this little cold snap doesn't really compare to the Cali freeze last year.

Forecast is for a mild freeze Friday morning with temps gradually rising up to 70sF highs/ 50sF lows on Sunday.

Gina, bouy 41012 would be an exciting place to hang out in 12ft seas!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

If it makes you guys in FL feel any better,  they just lowered our "low" for tomorrow morning to 9f  - that would be a record :( :( :(

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

(Palmy @ Jan. 02 2008,11:43)

Where are those maps? Can you give a link>?

NOAA.GOV, type your zip, and select the area forecast.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

We got down to 21F at my house last night NE of Atlanta.  Weather channel says low of 20F tonight.  NOAA predicts 17F.  From what you Floridians are saying is predicted there, I'm more inclined to trust NOAA.  At least it's supposed to warm up next week here and in FL.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Tonight is the night for low temps.  I am like Larry and plan very little action tonight, except running the dryer to warm my jakfruit area and to cover a yellow jaboticaba and bringing in a mangosteen or two. And bringing in my tortoises.

I am still hoping for a miracle, usually works ok.

My mango is in full bloom right now and at minimum won't be tomorrow.

I expect foliage damage out the wazoo,  My palms are likely to be more or less ok, without frost cold shouldn't be so bad.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Was 42.1F this morning. NWS Forcast was for 39F I think. But the day is not over yet and temps are already falling FAST as the sun goes down.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(Steve @ Jan. 02 2008,16:44)

We got down to 21F at my house last night NE of Atlanta.  Weather channel says low of 20F tonight.  NOAA predicts 17F.  From what you Floridians are saying is predicted there, I'm more inclined to trust NOAA.  At least it's supposed to warm up next week here and in FL.

Your low is forecasted to be the same as ours, and you're 5 and 1/2 hours north!  There is no justice :) .

I actually have found weather.com to be more accurate for our area.  At least for the past few years.  NOAA tends to be a few degrees lower.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 02 2008,15:49)

If it makes you guys in FL feel any better,  they just lowered our "low" for tomorrow morning to 9f  - that would be a record :( :( :(

Where have you been? :P

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

(Alan_Tampa @ Jan. 02 2008,17:03)

I am like Larry and plan very little action tonight, except running the dryer to warm my jakfruit area and to cover a yellow jaboticaba and bringing in a mangosteen or two. And bringing in my tortoises.

Thats a big EXCEPT my friend!  

C'mon......just throw all caution to the wind and see what happens  :D  hehehhehehe

Larry 

OK...bringing in the tortosies is not cheating :D

Larry 

(Alan_Tampa @ Jan. 02 2008,17:03)

I am still hoping for a miracle, usually works ok.

This is my preferred method as well :P

Either that.....or just dont care!  Either way gives the same result!

Larry 

BTW - Its not even 6PM and my station is barely showing 43F!  YOWIE!  The dewpoint is a very depressed 22F.  This one has some potential :P

I can see that my P. pacifica is already quite irked at me as the spotting/mottling has already begun.  If the blasted thing hadnt grown so much in the past few years, Id try and wrap the sucker up!

Larry 

I should run out and buy a weather station, even if the airport's just up the road.  Looks like a short freeze.  Feeling good about having potted stuff in the living room.  Looks rather festive in there.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(Dave from So-Cal @ Jan. 02 2008,07:44)

Howdyall:

But . . .

So, how'd you all fare?

dave

Hi Dave,

We're still waiting for the Big Chill.  I dunno about Tampa, but last night in St. Pete was okay.  It was about 53 this morning at 7:00 at my house.

But the temp dropped after that and by mid-day, we were at 50 and by 6pm it was (brrrrrr) 47!  They're talking about mid-20s - just disgusting.  I can't believe that by morning I may lose my beautiful spindle (too big to adequately protect anymore).  I've had that palm in the ground for about 8 years, makes me sick to think it may be mush by morning.  

I can only imagine what you all in CA went through last winter when you had to deal with 4 days of this (expletive).  

Radio is announcing hard freeze warnings for everywhere but Pinellas, a freeze warning for us, wind chill adivsories everywhere, water-pipe advisories, frostbite and on and on.

So pass the hankies and hand over the crying towel.  wahhhhh.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(Dave-Vero @ Jan. 02 2008,18:02)

I should run out and buy a weather station, even if the airport's just up the road.  Looks like a short freeze.  Feeling good about having potted stuff in the living room.  Looks rather festive in there.

Yours too, huh?

I must say, it's nice to look at all my crotons n' baby palmies in here - but it's not looking good for the stuff outside.  While I was hauling 50+ plants into the house, my dear husband was out putting frostcloth over some of the plants, but I guess he ran out of the stuff and I'm praying the forecast 33F holds (sounds like hooey!) but honestly I don't see how it can.

Has anyone ever used Planket frostcloth and does it work?

They're talking about burst pipes and frostbite on NOAA radio and I think it's going to be a lonnnnnnnng night :(

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 02 2008,19:57)

Hi Dave,

We're still waiting for the Big Chill.  

The big chill has arrived to Tampa Bay :angry:

Currently 39F in Tampa and 43F all the way out at St. Pete Beach!

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 02 2008,19:57)

But the temp dropped after that and by mid-day, we were at 50 and by 6pm it was (brrrrrr) 47!  

Yes....what pitiful pitiful pitiful highs we had today.  Most all high temps were reached a little after midnight and it was generally downhill from there.  Even Albert Whitted spent all day in the 40's.

Larry 

Our local weather guy at 6pm said our dewpoint was 4.

F-O-U-R.

I don't think I have ever seen a dewpoint that low, except maybe in Los Angeles?

They think its possible that there may be some places that break the current record low for this area, which is 15F from, I believe, 1989 (before my time)

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

(metalfan @ Jan. 02 2008,20:22)

Our local weather guy at 6pm said our dewpoint was 4.

F-O-U-R.

Holy mackerel...I thought it was dry here.  My station is showing an extremely dry dewpoint of 16F right now.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 02 2008,20:21)

Yes....what pitiful pitiful pitiful highs we had today.  Most all high temps were reached a little after midnight and it was generally downhill from there.  Even Albert Whitted spent all day in the 40's.

Seriously, Albert Whitted all day in the 40s?  Lealman did better at about 51 most of the day.  I noticed that a couple of times, that we were close to, or a degree or so more, than AW, as weird as that is.

This is a strange freeze - and as you said earlier, it got unbelievably cold very early in the evening.

Have you checked out your Point Forecast on NWS?  I entered my city and it (still) predicted 33F.  But when I clicked on the Point Forecast, it predicted 34F.

Doesn't matter - now that the wind has died down, they'll probably be adjusting those forecasts - downward. :o

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 02 2008,22:24)

I noticed that a couple of times, that we were close to, or a degree or so more, than AW, as weird as that is.

Hey!  Take it where you can get it Sunny!

Larry 

I think one should only have tortoises appropriate to one's zone........

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Have you checked out your Point Forecast on NWS?  I entered my city and it (still) predicted 33F.  But when I clicked on the Point Forecast, it predicted 34F.

Both the "generic" forecast for 34689 and my point forecast yield the same result....32F on NWS.  The way things look right now, that sounds pretty dang good. :P

I do see a small little flickering light shimmering though......as I closely watch my wind plots, it appears that the predominant winds are slowly trending back to the N/NW from the NE.   This would automatically raise the temperature in my yard.

Larry 

(steve 9atx @ Jan. 02 2008,22:30)

I think one should only have tortoises appropriate to one's zone........

Steve

hehehehehehe....good one :P

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 02 2008,22:29)

I noticed that a couple of times, that we were close to, or a degree or so more, than AW, as weird as that is.

Hey!  Take it where you can get it Sunny!

You got that right! :D

Update:

Albert Whitted  39F

St. Pete/Clw Airport 37F

my house         41.6F

I have no idea why.

Even 32 would be okay.  It's hours till daylight and can't see how we can avoid the 20s.  Larry you say the wind is turning more N/NW - let's hope it keeps up.

St. Pete

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 02 2008,22:59)

Update:

Albert Whitted  39F

St. Pete/Clw Airport 37F

my house         41.6F

I have no idea why.

It probably just measurement differences bewteen equipment and/or measurement heights/locations.

The wind is strong enough tonight to pretty much eliminate all the normally warmer areas and spread the heat around.  Or, spread the cold around  :P

Heres the current central/south Pinellas temps....not much difference between the coasts and inland areas (which we know is not the normal routine).

pinellas-1-2-08.jpg

Larry 

(SunnyFl @ Jan. 02 2008,22:59)

Larry you say the wind is turning more N/NW - let's hope it keeps up.

Yes....its was trying to just a little bit...see the below plot from my weather station.  But, it seems to be waffling a bit now and back to NE slightly.

wind.jpg

Larry