IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The Beauty of Winter

_Keith

I guess it was Wal's reply to an eariler email that sparked this thought.  As I was out just a little while ago picking up tender plants and covering the one palm I was worried about, I again remembered the beauty of winter.  Here in Louisiana winter is a time of clear vision.  For one thing it is clear physically and virtually with visibility for miles.  No haze, just clear blue skies and even clearer air near the ground.  The angles of the sun give the water an entirely different look too.   Being a fisherman, I alway remember marsh fishing at this time of year being great.  I guess my memories also remember the sun angles on the water, because no matter where I am when I see the water with this kind of reflection I immediately flash back to some outstanding angling days.  And the smells are as clear as the air.  The sound of the wind through the trees is even different.  With all of the deciduous leaves on the ground rather than the trees it also seems that I also notice unique things each year that I had never noticed before.  So, while winter always brings a sense of panic for us zone pushers, it also has its own unique beauty as well.  It is a time of renewal.  I cannot imagine appreciating the warmth of spring and summer without this brief spout of winter to spur my soul.  

What are the positive spots of winter for you?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Great post Keith...although I always say I hate winter, I really don't hate it.  The occasional cool blast is is sometimes refreshing.  I'm just glad it doesn't stick around and there is usually a warmup just around the corner.  That is why I enjoy living here as opposed to say, the midwest where I grew up, where winter hangs on month after month.  I don't think I could wait that long for warmth any more.  Every cold day leads to a warm one just around the corner.

Sometimes we need to experience the bad (cold  :( ), to truely appreciate the good (warm :D ).  I've thought many times if I had grown up in a tropical climate with palm trees it might not mean as much to me as it does today.

Pinellas Park, Florida

I was a ski racer when younger.  Not a real good one, but I did mange to make it down the mountain at a pretty good speed.  Winter in the Rocky mountains is a special time.  The forest covered with snow is silent and very pure.  On days where the sun would shine the view from the top of America was always breathtaking.  I hope I can get up to Montana next year during the winter.  Here on the equator the seasons are very subtle.  The new year has come in very wet.  The days have been overcast.  The thermometer stays under 90F and the tree frogs are having a great time croaking around the neighborhood.  Here where the winter is really the southern hemisphere summer one day can be summer and the next winter.  But, in reality there is no winter, but the seasons change.  When the sun comes out this time of the year the equatorial light is brilliant and the contrasts are sharp.  And, as the water in the rivers are rising all over the basin the force of the rivers on the seasons is marked.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

A few shots of winter.

Notice the winter berries next to the statue.

DSC01458.JPG

A couple of those palms that may not make it, but they sure look good today.

DSC01441.JPG

And those great winter sun angles on the water

DSC01469.JPG

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Keith,

What is the name of the fern you have growing there. The Chameadorea lookis like C. microspadix which has survived 12F here in Jax ..  

Best wishes

Ed

Edwin Brown III

The fern is a plain old Boston Fern.  Totally not hardy here if you read the book, but makes a great groundcover in the shade, and winter is the only thing that keeps it in check.  We had a mild one last year and it started to take over the world.  

Yes on Chamaedorea microspadix .  I am not worried at all about it.  Dypsis lutescens behind it does worry me a bit, but it was a bargain buy at a big box so Ce' la vie.

The Austrailian Tree Fern has seen 24 before and recovered, so I think it is OK as well.

What do you think that Pinanga's chances are?  Let us know how it does, I've always wanted one, but I'm scared.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Will do, by the way, just to show that zone ratings are suggestions at best, behind that 6 foot tall statue is a Schefflera.  It has been with me through 3 houses, has seen the low 20s, and is now 10 feet tall and 10 feet wide.  It is regarded here as a typical house plant, books say hardy to 50 degrees.   And beside it is a Norfolk Island Pine too.   I found it in a dump.  It had survived 24 degrees laying horizontal with a totally exposed root ball.  Never give up if you want it.  Sure, a freeze of 89 would take it out, but until then, the plants along with me will enjoy life every day.

(keiththibodeaux @ Jan. 01 2008,16:53)

Only listening to you guys reminisce about it and  having to only see it on the weather channel and not out my windows.  :P  

I don't miss snow blowers, ice trucks, skiing, snowmen, white Christmas', nothing...  Sorry to poopoo on the introspection!

The positive spots of winter for me are here...

EquatorSign.jpg

:cool:

Keith,Great shots! Reminds me of some of those Gardens around Avery Islnd with all the Greek-like statutes.Good luck in the cold front and hopefully it will not be as bad as expected.

What you look for is what is looking

Well, winter isn't that cold here ie no snow and very rarely frost. The positive aspect is that I seem to get less palm damage in winter than summer nowadays. Palms that took off in the spring and appeared sunhardened are incinerated by the 44C summer days with high dessicating winds. I think they may be equivalent to the Southern California "Satan annas". It's after midnight now and it's 32C blowing a gale with 28% humidity. Expecting 40C tomorrow. It'll probably get higher. It all makes you appreciate winter a bit, and I never thought I'd ever say that.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Keith, your fine description makes winter sound almost appealing...almost.  I agree the quality of the light in winter is different.  I see many more sunrises in winter than in summer, and the sky has a golden pink brilliance mixing with the soft cold blue that some fine painters have captured so well on canvas.  There is probably a scientific explanation for that relating to the low angle of the sun, but enjoying the colors is good enough for me. (But that low angle makes it seem like the sun is always blindingly in my eyes.)

Even though I do my share of whining about the cold temperatures, I feel lucky to live where snow is something occasionally seen sparkling in the distance, not something I have to live with for an entire season.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks all.  

I have to do this to keep my spirits up.  Tonight's nearly 12 hours below freezing will change my garden forever.  It has been quite a few years since we got this kind of blast, but at least I have lot of pictures.  So here are some more positive thoughts.

Winter sunsets.  Those brilliant orange and turqoise sunsets are always striking here in winter.  

DSCN1936.JPG

And sounds seem to be so clear and crisp, they seem to travel for miles.  I love the sounds of the trains in winter, which I never seem to notice in summer.

(PiousPalms @ Jan. 01 2008,19:48)

Only listening to you guys reminisce about it and  having to only see it on the weather channel and not out my windows.  :P  

I don't miss snow blowers, ice trucks, skiing, snowmen, white Christmas', nothing...  Sorry to poopoo on the introspection!

The positive spots of winter for me are here...

EquatorSign.jpg

:cool:

William,

I still would enjoy a week in the snow.  But, where I live that is just a brief trip and I can come back home where I never have to wear a jacket and can always go out in the garden in shorts and no shirt at 3 AM and feel comfortable.   And, I never ever will have to worry about protecting plants from the cold, only making sure they get enough water in our short dry season.

Here on the equator 3 degrees south, 3 degrees north or 0 degrees is the same.  Except that at 0 degrees satellite TV or  Satellite internet reception is worse.  There is some strange interference at 0 degrees.  At least that is what they tell me.

Just another typical winters night.

That is my latitude 3.2 degrees South and 60.03 degrees West.

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2008.01.03 0100 UTC

Wind Calm

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Temperature 77 F (25 C)

Dew Point 73 F (23 C)

Relative Humidity 88%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.83 in. Hg (1010 hPa)

Here is my son, who lives in Fort Lauderdale,  surfing on the Equator monument about 350 kms north of Manaus in September.  It is sort of in a poor state though.  I go over this point all the time, about once a month, either by air or car.  It is interesting how the climate flips on such a short distance.  Here it is wet and north of the line it is dry right now.  And, in 5 months it will reverse.  But, I still look forward to being in the northern Rockies in the snow again.  And, then coming back to my part of the Equatorial tropics.  I love it here in the middle of the largest tropical forest in the world living on the largest river in the world right in the middle of South America.

ShaneTrip369.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

There are none.

The temp hit 9*F with wind gusts over 40mph and blowing snow last night. I had a cold windy and snowy walk into work today.

Winter means high utility bills, sub-zero temperatures at least one night a year, lots of cold rainy days, hardly any snow, busted water pipes, cars that won't start, slick roads & icy hills, frostbite and cold walks into work and the bars.

This weekend we'll be back up in the mid-50's though.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Jake,

That just sounds wonderful.  In the late 80's I used to work as a sales manager for a Miami based transportation company.  My territory included all of South America, Detroit, New York, and Chicago. I was constantly going either north or south.  It was quite a contrast being on Avenida Atlantica in Rio de Janeiro one week and sliding around the icey streets of Detroit the next one.  The great thing of not living where winter is a part of life is that you can choose to enjoy it on your terms not on mother nature's.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I love winter , cause thats when I can finally wear shorts , as there are no damn Mossies around then .

And the rains finally finish [usually] , and I can finally get under a blanket in bed .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

I'm sorry but I can't wax nostalgic about winter. As a commercial pilot for 32 years, I saw enough snow and blizzards in Chicago, Denver, and most of the midwest to last me a lifetime. Believe me, it's not fun landing in that stuff, with a 30 knot cross wind, and getting bumped around pretty hard. Then there are the times when the brakeing is reported as good, and you find youself landing on a sheet of ice and you stop just feet from the end of the runway. That happened to me once in Medford Oragon. Thank God the wind was coming right down the runway, but we stopped less than 100' from the end. It was so slippery we couldn't even taxi in, and had to have a tractor tow us to the terminal. Thanks, but I'll take the good old summer time.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Not the best shot because I was in my car when I took this...   how often can you get a Coco palm and snow in the same frame?

IMGP7126.jpg

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

(putu enjula @ Jan. 11 2008,02:04)

how often can you get a Coco palm and snow in the same frame?

First one I have seen.  

I sometimes envy those in tropical climates, but then again it is our short winter that truly makes me appreciate summer.    Kind of like love, you don't truly appreciate it till its gone, but summer comes back ever year.

These photos were taken last Monday after a series of storms moved thru California & dropped snow down to 4000'.  Of-course beauty is in the eye of the gardener, so to speak, since temps have been chilly all week.

07Jan08_snow_from_LAX_5703.jpg

07Jan08_snow_from_LAX_5605.jpg

07Jan08_snow_from_LAX_5608.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Those pics are awesome.  I love how clear the air gets in the winter.  I just walked out to look at the stars for a few minutes.  Skies here are crystal clear tonight with only a sliver of moon showing.

There are none.

The temp hit 9*F with wind gusts over 40mph and blowing snow last night. I had a cold windy and snowy walk into work today.

Winter means high utility bills, sub-zero temperatures at least one night a year, lots of cold rainy days, hardly any snow, busted water pipes, cars that won't start, slick roads & icy hills, frostbite and cold walks into work and the bars.

This weekend we'll be back up in the mid-50's though.

WOW... Jake that's really cold..  I don't remember the last time it got that cold here... Only been down to 15f so far this winter - no snow to speak of.... It was in the high 60's last week, but now it's hovering in the boring 40's, but it's 80f in my little biosphere where I'm sitting on this sunny sunday morning typing this :)   .. My little piece of the tropics until I move...   I REALLY hate winter - I want it once a year for a week during Christmas, and want to be sitting in a chalet in the mountains of vermont getting drunk and watching the snow outside.. then go right back to the warm weather when that week is over.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby,

A week is good amount of time to enjoy winter.  

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

I love the sounds of the trains in winter,

What a cool line, gotta be song out of that.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Happ, those are great pictures.

It has been raining here everyday and been overcast much of the time.  This the the normal winter rainy season pattern.  But, this year I guess due to la niña the rains are more constant and heavier.  Today was a cool winters day, at noon the temperature was at 25 C / 77 F.  On the way home the sun had come out and the clear equatorial light was crisp.  This picture was taken at about 5 PM which is an hour from twilight so the light is nice and golden.  It looks like the city has yet to take one of the street light mounted christmas ornaments down.  I noticed on a street temperature sign that the temperature had risen to 27 C / 80 F since the sun had come out.

It may be southern hemisphere summer, but here it is equatorial winter.  

dk

Winterdaymao.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Agree those photos are great courtsey of Bill Reid - AMS-LA.  Here are a few more from LAX

07Jan08_snow_from_LAX_5700.jpg

07Jan08_snow_from_LAX_5658.jpg

07Jan08_snow_from_LAX_5623.jpg

Snow has melted except on highest peaks.  Santa ana's like chinook winds, eat snow  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The winter rains let up a bit and some sun came out today.  It was not too hot though.  I was at the port terminal loading some containers with wood and took this shot looking out over one of the port terminals in Manaus, Super Terminais.  The owner is a friend of mine and landscaped the terminal perimeter with coconuts that he brought up to Manaus from Bahia.  I sort of like the coconut container mix.  The view out across the Negro River is also great.  

The thing I like about winter here is that it is warm, but normally does not boil yours brains like it does in the dry season.  I suppose the temperature was around 85 F more or less at this time, which was around 10 AM.

dk

Supercoconuts.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Don

It's great having a palm grower on the equator  :P [do you ever want a different season?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

By the end of the rainy season it is real nice to have more sun and less rain.  And, by the end of the dry season (July through October) it is nice to see more rain and less heat again.  That is enough seasons for me.  The nice thing about this time of year is that you never have to worry about watering any plants.  The bad thing is that it is impossible to keep your car clean.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg