IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

January Weather Thread

ruskinPalms

46.0F here this morning. Was supposed to be 50F. I have been cooler than forcast several times this year. Next few days are going to be pretty rough on some of my battered tropical palms with highs only making it into the mid 60's with lows getting into the lower to mid 40's.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Got to 33.5 this morning.  Forecast was 40F (weather.com) and 37F (noaa).  Ouch...  Brooksville was 29F.  Talk about climate envy, you guys down in pinellas didn't even see 30's.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Jon-

It was colder than forecast here as well.  I think the forecast called for something like 44-45F, but I logged 41.9F.

Those rats near the water at Albert Whitted AP only logged 51F and Clearwater AP 50F.   Tampa AP did drop to 43F though.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I've learned to ignore the reading at stations on the water as they're generally not relevant to those of us without beachfront property (and the high insurance that comes with it!)

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

My station logged 42.1F at 7:36 AM, got back up to 69F for a high today.

Cobra, did you get frost last night?

There were some wunderground stations in brandon that were right around 33-34F this morning so it must have been a good night for radiational cooling.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill-

I saw frost on rooftops in NW Hillsborough/NE Pinellas this AM on the way to work.  It didnt look like there was frost on the ground/plants though....just some rooftops.

My car thermometer read as low as 36F around the Pinellas/Hillsborough county line.  This is always the cold spot for some reason.

Larry 

forecast from weather.com for ocean springs, ms. was 45. we were 33 at 700 a.m with frost every where. so much for the warmer night they promised.

stephen lee

Was 40.4F here in Titusville this morning,no frost.

My mom in Poinciana just south of Kissimmee was forecast for 42.0F, actual low was 37.4 F with FROST on the ground, car,and rooftops, didn't appear to get on any vegitation above ground level.

Again I say, weathermen gotta LOVE em! :o

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

These are the type of nights that can cause a lot of unforeseen damage.

I did not see any rooftop frost or any frost at all this morning between Ruskin and Sun City Center where I work.

Tonight has cooled off more rapidly than last night but they are still calling for 42 here tonight. They had forcast 43 for me last night and they were close enough. Perhaps the winds will shift more to the east overnight and bring in some of that Gulfstream goodness across the state :)

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

No frost here in South Louisiana, but it sure felt aweful nippy out there.  There was frost in rural areas surrounding Baton Rouge.   Otherwise the weather here is starting to moderate to warmth as is normal when we enter February.  I researched the historical lows thanks to info in some other posts.  Seems like mid March is the magical time around here, when can let the guard down a bit.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Winter is unrelenting in the West  :o rainfall is really appreciated & nearing record levels for the month.  Soil is deeply hydrated but the temperatures remain well below normal.   :(

Hi 60F/15.5c

Lo 48F/8.8c

Jan rainfall: 13.01"

Rainyear : 18.07

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Ahhh...the warmer air is on its way!

48F here at 6AM, but the real low occurred around 330AM at 43.3F.

The next 10 days look fantabulous!

The countdown to Valentines Day is on.  Heres hoping for a non-repeat of the past two years for this time frame!

Larry 

Got down to 42.4F in around 4:00AM today. Supposed to be looking at a nice warmup this week. Lots of mid to upper 70's for highs and upper 50s to low 60s for lows. Should be some good cold and freeze damage recovery weather!

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Jan. 29 2008,17:11)

Should be some good cold and freeze damage recovery weather!

Yes it should be ,PROVIDED we don't have a repeat of middle Febuary, like the last two years as Larry alluded too!

Then it would be better if it just staid a little chilly. The previous two years by Febuary 14th everything thought it was spring already.New spring growth on alot of plants,just to be frozen back into WINTER!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Its warm, its cold, its warm, its cold.  Next two nights lows are 37 and 38.  Right now, it's cold again.  I hate it.  Nuff said.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

January was both colder than normal & wetter than normal although very few are complaining especially since it was a great start in reversing the drought  :D in-fact all areas of California are no longer classified as "severe drought."  

JAN 2008

AVE MAX: 65.0F - NORM MAX: 69F/20.5c

AVE MIN: 49.1F - NORM MIN: 51F/10.5c

Highest Max: 79F Lowest Max: 50F [record]

Highest Min: 57F - Lowest Min: 42F

RAINFALL: 13.01"

RAINYEAR: 18.10

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hi,

Januari was just like Jananuari 2007 a lot too "warm". This Januari 2008 has taken the second place for warmest Januari ever... the first place has taken by Januari 2007.

Normal daytempeture: 5.1C/41.2F

Average daytempeture Jan 2008: 9.5C/49.1F

Normal nighttempeture: 0.3C/32.6F

Average nighttempeture Jan 2008: 4.6C/40.2F

Normal Month tempeture: 2.7C/36.8F

Average Januari 2008: 7.1C/44.8F

So a lot warmer again... Jan 2008 has been 1C colder then 2007.

Normal rainfall Januari: 68mm/2.67 inch

I've got this Jan 2008: 80 mm/3.14 inch

So a little wetter also! So i've got so far 3.14 inch of rain in 2008.

I've got also this picture's but only in Celcius, for the people that can't read Netherlands :D The black line is the normal tempeture, and the red line is the tempeture's i've got.

Day

Jan2008Tempdag.jpg

Night

Jan2008Tempnacht.jpg

Al this tempeture's and rainfall is from my own exotic garden :) Other parts of the country has been wetter and colder ... or a little more dry and "warmer"... Not too more because i live already in one of the mildest parts of the country i guess. :D

Robbin

Southwest

Heres the January 2007 data from my yard.  It was a cold month.  Im not sure iof I believe the minimum wind chill value, but cold was cold!

FreeWX monthly summary for January 2008

There are 31 entries in the selected almanac file

covering the period 1 January to 31 January.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maximums and minimums

Maximum temperature: +80.6 °F at 15:44:00 on 31 January

Minimum temperature: +29.3 °F at 07:24:00 on 03 January

Maximum humidity: 100 % at 08:28:00 on 28 January

Minimum humidity: 34 % at 13:04:00 on 28 January

Maximum dew point: +71.8 °F at 13:54:00 on 19 January

Minimum dew point: +9.9 °F at 06:51:00 on 03 January

Minimum wind chill: +10.4 °F at 04:04:00 on 03 January

Maximum heat index: +80.6 °F at 12:29:00 on 12 January

Maximum barometric pressure: 30.59 In.Hg at 23:55:00 on 03 January

Minimum barometric pressure: 29.76 In.Hg at 16:12:00 on 19 January

Maximum wind gust: 25.3 MPH from 325° at 00:21:00 on 20 January

Maximum indoor temperature: +77.7 °F at 16:46:00 on 31 January

Minimum indoor temperature: +67.5 °F at 06:43:00 on 28 January

Averages

Average temperature: +60.6 °F

Average maximum temperature: +69.8 °F

Average minimum temperature: +51.4 °F

Average humidity: 70 %

Average maximum humidity: 91 %

Average minimum humidity: 49 %

Average dew point: +49.9 °F

Average maximum dew point: +58.4 °F

Average minimum dew point: +41.4 °F

Average minimum wind chill: +44.4 °F

Average maximum heat index: +77.7 °F

Average barometric pressure: 30.1 In.Hg

Average maximum barometric pressure: 30.2 In.Hg

Average minimum barometric pressure: 30 In.Hg

Average indoor temperature: +73.9 °F

Average maximum indoor temperature: +75.8 °F

Average minimum indoor temperature: +72 °F

Rainfall summary:

(Entries are for the 24 hours Midnight to Midnight on the indicated dates)

13th January - (0.16 In.)

18th January - (0.04 In.)

19th January - (1.02 In.)

22nd January - (0.28 In.)

23rd January - (0.79 In.)

26th January - (0.04 In.)

Number of rainfall days: 6

Maximum rainfall rate: 19.57 In./hour at 17:19:00 on 19 January

Total rainfall for January: 2.33 In.

Larry 

45.1F this morning. Chilly

WOW, Bill..  I can't believe how cold you guys down south are getting... Not much different from up here (it was 40f here this morning).. And those shots of Mississippi look more like Southern Vermont.  Surprisingly, we have only gotten a trace of snow this winter with temps staying kinda on the mild side... I have a few sagos, saw palmetto, and a sabal xtensis outside all winter with no damage whatsoever. It Seems the jetstream has all the cold bottled up in Canada - but that's why I can't understand why it has gotten so cold down south.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Yeah, 37.4 here.  Forecast was 44.  I didn't even bring my sensitive stuff in.  They really missed the forecast.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Really appreciate the monthly reports  :P  provides average values.

Robbin

Another warm winter in Europe  :D

Larry

9.9 dew point  :o is that common for central Florida?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Feb. 02 2008,13:00)

Larry

I think thats the lowest my station has logged since being online in May 2006.

Larry 

A couple of days ago, the weather service predicted a low of 38, which for me usually means 39.  Instead I woke up to 33.  A few sensitive things I left out are really unhappy about life right now  

But today, it is a perfect spring day.  Sunny, highs today around 75.   I know better than to be sucked in at this time of the year, but it sure is tempting.  Makes you want to go out and plant, plant, plant

(happ @ Feb. 02 2008,13:00)

Really appreciate the monthly reports  :P  provides average values.

Robbin

Another warm winter in Europe  :D

Larry

Yeah,

I looks like he going to be milder the  normal again...

Robbin

Southwest

(happ @ Jan. 31 2008,22:13)

January was both colder than normal & wetter than normal although very few are complaining especially since it was a great start in reversing the drought  :D in-fact all areas of California are no longer classified as "severe drought."  

JAN 2008

AVE MAX: 65.0F - NORM MAX: 69F/20.5c

AVE MIN: 49.1F - NORM MIN: 51F/10.5c

Highest Max: 79F Lowest Max: 50F [record]

Highest Min: 57F - Lowest Min: 42F

RAINFALL: 13.01"

RAINYEAR: 18.10

It was a little different over in El Sereno, at least for rain and low temperatures...

Ave max: 18.7C (65.7F)

Ave min: 8.0C (46.4F)

Highest max: 27.3C (81.1F)

Lowest max: 4.4C (40.0F)

Rainfall: 160.6mm (6.3in)

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...