IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

January Weather Thread

ruskinPalms

I thought a January weather thread was already started, but I can't find it.

Of course the main thing on my mind is the expected hard freeze on the night of Jan 2. I have protected my most exposed landscape bed in the front of the house, but it seems that most of my palms are just too big for me to realistically protect unless I want to erect several "palmscrapers". The rest is just going to have to ride it out.

My forcast lows for Jan 2 at the time of this post (zip 33570):

NOAA/NWS: 28F

Accuweather: 29F

TWC: 29F

Wunderground: 35F ???

Pic of the front protection:

post-228-1199206647_thumb.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill,

It looks like all the attention is going to the soon to arrive cold front.  I wish you all luck.  Here on the equator the rain keeps coming.

Here is a new local weather site from the Amazonas Federal University.  It is in Portuguese, but I think that the information is sort of self explanatory.  As you can see we have been getting a bit of rain and more is forecast.    We should be getting an average of from 1/2 to nearly 1 inch (25mm), per day for the next week.  Chuva is rain. And, the temperatures are moderate not going over 30 C for the most part.  I thought that it is pretty interesting.  Not that weather forecasting is too difficult here to begin with.  It is either warm with rain, or hot to very hot with sun.

Good luck with the cold.

The forecast is split up daily, manhã (morning), tarde (afternoon), noite (night), and madrugada (early AM hours).  And the days in Portuguese- terça (tuesday), quarta (wednesday), quinta (thursday), sexta (friday), sabado (saturday), domingo (sunday).

1Jan2008.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Jimbeam-

Heres hoping that map looks the same this time tomorrow!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 02 2008,08:38)

Jimbeam-

Heres hoping that map looks the same this time tomorrow!

Yeah, I know right?!

Brevard County, Fl

I have to leave here early tomorrow morning, and I am wondering if anyone will be willing to get an ADAS pic of Florida at the lowest temperatures tomorrow morning.

If anyone does that, I will appreciate it!  :)

Brevard County, Fl

(Jimbean @ Jan. 02 2008,13:06)

I have to leave here early tomorrow morning, and I am wondering if anyone will be willing to get an ADAS pic of Florida at the lowest temperatures tomorrow morning.

If anyone does that, I will appreciate it!  :)

Jim-

I will do that tomorrow.

Larry 

The forcasts for my area (zip 33570):

NWS/NOAA: 29F

Wunderground: 30F

Accuweather: 29F

TWC: 31F

So far, my "frost cloth" is holding up to the wind on my front landscape bed. I might have to leave this stuff on even for tomorrow night as it could be a sneak up and bite you on the ass radiational freeze...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Updated forcast discussion for north and central Florida:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAMPA BAY RUSKIN FL

117 PM EST WED JAN 2 2008

...COLDEST AIR OF THE SEASON EXPECTED TONIGHT AND EARLY THURSDAY

MORNING WITH SEVERAL HOURS OF SUB-FREEZING TEMPERATURES EXPECTED...

.SHORT TERM (TONIGHT - FRIDAY)...STRONG COLD SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE BUILDING

INTO THE EASTERN U.S. WILL SUPPORT SOME OF THE COLDEST TEMPERATURES SO

FAR THIS SEASON ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA TONIGHT AND EARLY THURSDAY

MORNING. NORTHERLY FLOW DOWN THE SPINE OF THE PENINSULA COMBINED WITH

CLEAR SKIES AND VERY DRY AIR MASS WILL SUPPORT SEVERAL HOURS OF SUB-

FREEZING TEMPERATURES ACROSS MOST OF THE FORECAST AREA...EXCEPTION BEING

RIGHT ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST.

AFTER LOOKING OVER CURRENT TEMP/DEW POINT TRENDS AND MODEL GUIDANCE

WILL BE UPGRADING AND EXPANDING THE HARD FREEZE WATCH TO A HARD FREEZE

WARNING FOR THE NATURE COAST EXTENDING SOUTH INTO CENTRAL AND SOUTHWESTERN

PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA. BASED ON CURRENT MODEL DATA TEMPERATURES

ARE FORECAST TO DIP INTO THE TEENS OVER THE NATURE COAST AND 25 TO 28

DEGREE RANGE OVER CENTRAL AND SOUTHWESTERN PORTIONS OF THE FORECAST AREA

MAINLY EAST OF I-75 CORRIDOR...WITH 6 TO 8 HOUR DURATIONS OF LESS THAN

32 DEGREES EXPECTED. THE EXCEPTION TO THE HARD FREEZE WILL BE OVER PINELLAS

AND LEE COUNTIES WHERE TEMPERATURES SHOULD BOTTOM OUT ~30 AND A FREEZE

WARNING WILL BE IN PLACE FOR THESE TWO COUNTIES WITH 2 TO 4 HOURS DURATIONS

BELOW 32 DEGREES POSSIBLE. IN ADDITION TO THE COLD TEMPERATURES NORTHERLY

WINDS IN THE 15 TO 20 MPH RANGE ALONG THE IMMEDIATE COAST AND 10-15

MPH INLAND WILL MAKE FOR VERY LOW WIND CHILL READINGS OVERNIGHT...AND

A WIND CHILL WARNING WILL BE ISSUED FOR THE ENTIRE FORECAST AREA EARLY

THIS AFTERNOON.

AFTER A VERY COLD START ON THURSDAY MORNING THE VERY COLD DRY AIR MASS

OVER THE REGION WILL BEGIN TO SLOWLY MODIFY AS THE COLD SURFACE HIGH

PRESSURE AREA SHIFTS EASTWARD WITH AN EASTERLY RETURN FLOW DEVELOPING

OVER THE REGION. THURSDAY NIGHT WILL BE ANOTHER COLD NIGHT BUT NOT

AS COLD AS TONIGHT...BUT ANOTHER ROUND OF FREEZING TEMPERATURES WILL

BE POSSIBLE OVER PORTIONS OF THE NATURE COAST...SO WILL HOISTING ANOTHER

FREEZE WATCH FROM HERNANDO COUNTY NORTH LATER THIS AFTERNOON FOR LATE

THURSDAY NIGHT INTO EARLY FRIDAY MORNING.

ON FRIDAY EASTERLY FLOW AROUND THE SURFACE HIGH ALONG THE MID ATLANTIC

EAST INTO THE WESTERN ATLANTIC WILL ALLOW THE AIR MASS TO CONTINUE TO

MODIFY WITH DAYTIME HIGHS ON FRIDAY CLIMBING BACK TOWARD SEASONAL NORMS

UNDER PARTLY CLOUDY SKIES. MAV/MET TEMPERATURE GUIDANCE IS VERY CLOSE

SO WILL USE A BLEND.

SOME RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES FOR THURSDAY MORNING JAN 3 2007.

TAMPA            26 1928

SAINT PETERSBURG 32 1979

SARASOTA         30 1979

LAKELAND         27 1979

FORT MYERS       24 1979

&&

.LONG TERM (FRIDAY NIGHT - WEDNESDAY)...COMBINATION OF HIGH PRES

CENTERED OFF CAROLINA COAST IN COMBINATION WITH RIDGING ALOFT WILL

PROVIDE DRY AND WARMING CONDITIONS OVER THE WEEKEND. TEMPS WILL BE

BACK UP TO NEAR OR EVEN SLIGHTLY ABOVE NORMAL FOR THE WEEKEND WITH

HIGHS IN THE MID 70S AND LOWS FROM THE MID 40S NORTH TO MID 50S

SOUTH.

LITTLE CHANGE IN THE SYNOP PATTERN ON MONDAY THROUGH EARLY

TUESDAY...BUT A POCKET OF DEEPER MOISTURE WILL MOVE IN FROM THE

EAST. FORECAST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST MOISTURE PROFILE WILL FALL JUST

SHORT OF SUPPORTING SHOWERS ON MONDAY. BY LATER TUESDAY...THE NEXT

SIGNIF TROF WILL BE APPROACHING FROM THE WEST...CROSSING THE LOWER

MISS RVR VALLEY BY 00Z WED. THIS TROF ALONG WITH ITS COLD FRONT WILL

CROSS THE AREA ON WEDNESDAY...BRINGING AT LEAST A SLIGHT CHANCE FOR

SHOWERS TO THE AREA WITH ITS PASSAGE. EARLY NEXT WEEK UNTIL THE

FRONTAL PASSAGE...TEMPS WILL BE WARM WITH HIGHS IN THE UPPER 70S AND

LOWS IN THE 50S. TURNING COOLER BEHIND THIS NEXT FRONT...BUT NOT

NEARLY AS COLD AS CURRENT COLD SNAP.

-On a "WTF" note, Chiefland, a city about 30 miles west of Gainesville is forecasted by NOAA to get down to 13F tonight.  Big bummer for them.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

Jan.4,2008-8:28AM EST-64F.Balmy compared to yesterday,surf is choppy,no mountain ever this time on the Stream.I heard through the grapevine that no chopper time was necessary at our operation near Pahokee and that is good news.

What you look for is what is looking

Here in Austin, it's not so much the absolute low temps in the mornings (upper 20s-low 30s in town, upper teens to mid 20s outskirts). It's been the highs only in the upper 40s to low 50s with a light to moderate wind that suck!

I finally pussed out yesterday and bought some gloves and over-the-calf socks, to go with my four upper layers (T-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, two jackets). Working in dense shade of red cedars all day--could never get warm...

Looking forward to upper 70s this weekend.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

After some cold in December, Januari starting mild just like last year but last year it was more "warmer" and we don't have cold in December.

I've got today a maximum tempeture from 11C/51,8F. Forecast are daytempeture between the 8-10C/46.4-50F and night tempeture from 5-7C/41-44,6F.

Robbin

Southwest

I'll take these temperatures any time! Cincinnati will have the warmest low in the SE ex Florida tonight.

MinT1_midatlantic.png

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

Jan.10,2008-75F at 8:19AM EST.Surf is flat,Puffies on the stream,simply stated a beautiful day!

Jan.11,2008-77F.-8:18 AM EST-Surf is flat but clear and very blue.Nice puffies on the stream.

looks like were out of the freezing lows, none this year and the days are getting longer in this sun dominated weather area.  consistently we have been mid 60's for a high and high 30's low 40's for the low.  Unless some serious moisture comes in from socal, its time to prepare for spring.  Next couple weeks I'll be pruning roses, feeding palms and enjoying the weather.  then I can place that special order for some new palms from the nursery.  I am yearning for a royal, a couple foxtails, a dypsis baronii, a livistonia decipiens and a phoenix rupicola.  I can hardly wait to dig the holes.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

I wish the worst of winter was over, Tom but NWS long range looks cold in another week  :o

Quite nice today [even hit 80F/26.6 San Fernando valley.  More warmth into next week, while it lasts.  

LA: 73F/22.7

51F/10.5c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

A little too early for us here in Louisiana as well.  Got a cold week coming with 3 or 4 nights in the upper to mid 30s.  I'll start to breathe a little easier once January is over as it is statically our coldest month of the year.  Average last frost date goes all the way out to first week of March, but for all practical purposes winter here is done by mid Feb.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Jan.12,2008-Circa-8:30Am-76F,puffies on the stream,feels like it could be hot.Registered 91F on car thermometer coming back from golf yesterday afternoon.That is way too hot.

After a nice warmup after the early January Freeze, mid to upper 30's are going to be sneaking back down the inland west side of the state all the way to Lee county. Watch out for frost! A frosting might be the nail in the coffin for a lot of my plants. I have no plans to protect, only plans to plant smarter if I lose a lot of plants this winter.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Dang it!

A low of 33 snuck in on me this morning bringing with it a heavy frost.  I was caught completely off guard.  Can't drop you guard for a minute in the winter.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I've got a forecast for 33F (NOAA) or 37F (weather.com) up here in spring hill for tonight.  Supposed to be very calm, can anyone say frost?

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Anytime they forecast at 40F or below I start to get a little nervous,

As said,  frost can be as damaging to some palms as an actual FREEZE! :angry:

In that respect, I wish we were more like California,as they don't seem to worry much about FROST, low humidty most of the time I guess.

The problem with Florida is FROST can form on plants way above actual freezing temps.I have seen it frost when I recorded temps no lower than 39F!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I had 41F with a pretty good coating of frost.  I didn't cover anything as I didn't anticipate the frost.  Everything seems ok so far.  Frost burned off by 9:00 a.m.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Not sure we'll see frost tonight, but I can't rule it out.  Right now, dewpoints are forecasted to stay about 10F cooler than the temps outside.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Seems to be a high cloud layer here and even a little breeze. I doubt there will be frost here tonight.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

39F this morning with a little rooftop frost, none that I saw on palms or other plants...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

44F here at my house this AM.

I saw that inland Tampa (Vandenberg AP) logged 35F!  Albert Whitted on the bay in St. Pete logged 51F.

Larry 

Man, don't even post what they have in St. Pete, I'm jealous enough of your temp :-P

36.5 here for the low, although @ 7am, it was 39.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

I think we were lucky for the little bit of cloud cover that was present last night. My damn back yard really seems to cool off on radiational nights (and apparently advective nights too :(  ). I think this will get much better in the future though as all the little oak trees in the neighborhood grow. As it is now, it is a stark, flat canopy-less neighborhood out in the middle of a rural area - it is going to get colder here...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Hi,

The last couple day around the 10C/50F and the nights ar around the 6-7C/42.8-44.6F. Gray sky's, sometime rain and wind...

Tonight we get some stormy weather ... wit a lot of winds and rain.... It's what we called over here "Kanaalrat". This a low depression what is moving quick but can something getting high wind speeds in a short time... so this typcal depressions are not easy to forecast... This depression coming fast and moving fast, and if the wind speeds are rising, damage can be there... Maybe this time wind speeds not rising and get we only a lot of rain.

Normally is winter now, but we get the weather and also tempetures just like autemm.

Robbin

Southwest

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 15 2008,09:44)

44F here at my house this AM.

I saw that inland Tampa (Vandenberg AP) logged 35F!  Albert Whitted on the bay in St. Pete logged 51F.

Our thermometer was a little over 50 at about 6:45 this morning when we went out.  Didn't feel all that cold.  The forecast I heard this morning was saying mid-30s for tonight, but now they've backed off that and the lowest temps seem to be around 40.

Have my fingers crossed that the coldest temps are behind us.  but I'm not going to bet the farm.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Well, this winter stinks.  Projected lows for 29 on Sat night here in Louisiana.  Look out Florida, what comes here, goes there next.

Sat night for us is already projected at 35 (NOAA) and 34 (Weather.com).  I'm guessing it will drop further by then...

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

This AM was forecast for upper 30's to middle 40's around central FL.

But, a quick scan of area readings on weatherunderground makes it hard to find anything below 50F!  

Its nice when they miss by this much in the right direction!

Larry 

On tyhe forecast yoyo.  I put up here a couple of days ago that Sat forecast here were for a low of 29.  Last night they dropped it to 28 and I was really in the dump.  Today it is up to 30 as the forecast low.  That is for Sat night here, might be Sun night for the Florida effect.  At any rate things are looking up (for now).

cold and rainy here, i think we just reched 46 degrees. that will probably be our high for the day.

saturddday forcast low of 28 and sunday 30 degrees. (weather.com)

noaa says 29 for saturday. not too worried here.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Same cold and rain here.  We just topped out at 51 temp wise and probably topped 2 inches of rain at my house.  YUCK!

Jan.17,2008-76F.circa 8:30Am, overcast,choppy,squalls out on the Gulfstream....

(bubba @ Jan. 17 2008,09:23)

squalls out on the Gulfstream....

...big storm comin' through...passed out in my hammock...God I slept till way past noon  ???

1130AM....74F and drizzle.

Larry