IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jan 2 Cold Snap

_Keith

Gonna get chilly down here, lows of 31, 27, 33 respectively.  At least this is a holiday weekend, so I have plenty of time to prepare.  I am bringing quite a few plants in that I would normally leave out.  I will hit a few with a good burst of liquid fertilizer which might boost the salts in the leaves just a bit and yes, I know I should have done this at least a couple of days ago.  I may throw an old sheet over a couple of things, but probably not bother with a light.

So, what are you doing to prepare your plants for a brush with death?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

At the curret time, I am not planning on doing anything.  I am trying to act all tough!  LOL.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I am hoping that this blast clears the State so I can get a good picture of the Gulfstream mountain.The discussion I am reading suggests this is the real deal but we hear that alot only to find they were overly conservative for liability purposes.

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba, what is the gulfstream mountain?

Kieth, it is supposed to be 25F here. I am probably going to wrap a comforter around my coconut as it is about the only palm that I care to try to save that is small enough to wrap. I might try to save some of the bottles in the front of my house since they are in prominent view of the street. I have thought about trying frost cloth on the front landscape bed since it is all very low stuff that would be a little expensive to replace, and again, it is in plain view from the front of the house.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(ruskinPalms @ Dec. 31 2007,15:57)

Bubba, what is the gulfstream mountain?

Kieth, it is supposed to be 25F here. I am probably going to wrap a comforter around my coconut as it is about the only palm that I care to try to save that is small enough to wrap. I might try to save some of the bottles in the front of my house since they are in prominent view of the street. I have thought about trying frost cloth on the front landscape bed since it is all very low stuff that would be a little expensive to replace, and again, it is in plain view from the front of the house.

Well, the forecast has been all over the place.  In the last few days it has been 26, 27, 28, 29, 27, and now 28.  One thing I know is that all of them are cold for here.   So now the forecast for the next 3 nights is 30, 28, 32.   We haven't been this cold for 3 nights in a row for several years.  But, even this is 9b, which we have been consistently for the last decade.  

So, I went out and kissed my Papaya goodbye.  Poor things were flowering again.  They were all volunteers.  I was able to dig up one, and pot it for next year.  Also harvested the last Bellpeppers and Cherry Tomatos.    Plenty of citrus are still on the trees.  I will pick them over the next couple of weeks and eat or juice them.    They usually get really sweet after the first freeze.  

On the good side, next week is the start of seed sprouting for spring plantings.  6 weeks from now the risk takers will begin planting.   I even moved my turkey tractor to start preparing the tomato beds.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Bill, Because the Gulfstream,Florida current is so close to to the Coast in this area(we are furthest East in the State),when cold fronts make it through,we are able to see the larger waves on the steam. These are quite noticable in the warmer waters of the current and look like steamy mountains if it gets cold enough.I know this is not anything we with sensitive palms/plants wish for but an interesting thing to watch nontheless.

What you look for is what is looking

This could be the coldest weather in our area since Feb of 1996.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Does Al Gore get to keep his Nobel prize? 2 or 3 years ago he was giving a speach in NY on global warming during one of the worst blizzards NY has ever had.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Moved all my little potted stuff inside my little greenhouse with electric heater ready for the night. Got a ton of sheets ready to cover........even though the wind is supposed to be strong Tues. night.

Getting ready for sales on palms at the box stores. I got my eye on a spindle palm with 2 ft. of trunk for $135.00.........maybe I can get them to half-price it for me. Going to go purchase some 8ft. tall (oa) queen palms for $9.99.....that's a good price for around here.....to plant this spring.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I am moving the Cyrtostachys inside and maybe a few others, tenting all the seedlings in the shade house, and flooding the ponds for warmth...

.....and dreaming of a place further south.......

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

(Ray, Tampa @ Dec. 31 2007,18:00)

This could be the coldest weather in our area since Feb of 1996.

That thought crossed my mind as well Ray.

Larry 

I'm moving..... to key west !!!

nevermind.  j/k.  back to reality........

Ray & Larry, I'm afraid you be right.  What I just noticed is, on noaa radio, they're saying something evil about mid-20s for Hillsborough & Pinellas  :angry:   But on the nws website, our area's forecast low Wed. night is 34.  

Oh well, as they announced on the radio - stay tuned "for this developing weather situation."  Hate words like that, really I do.

PS - Ray, the glorioso croton you kindly pointed out to me at the last USF sale is absolutely beautiful.  Thank you for telling me about it.  Glad I have it potted up, and will be safely in the house tomorrow night.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(SunnyFl @ Dec. 31 2007,21:40)

What I just noticed is, on noaa radio, they're saying something evil about mid-20s for Hillsborough & Pinellas  :angry:  

Yes...I saw some numbers for extreme interior sections of Hillsborough in the 20-21F range  :angry:

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 31 2007,21:55)

What I just noticed is, on noaa radio, they're saying something evil about mid-20s for Hillsborough & Pinellas  :angry:  

Yes...I saw some numbers for extreme interior sections of Hillsborough in the 20-21F range  :angry:

Is this a typo, this can't be.  That is some serious cold if it comes to fruition.  We haven't been that cold in years, and I am in a supposedly colder place than you.

(syersj @ Dec. 31 2007,22:04)

Is this a typo, this can't be.  That is some serious cold if it comes to fruition.  We haven't been that cold in years, and I am in a supposedly colder place than you.

Check the NWS forecast for Lutz, Brandon, Dover, Bloomingdale, Plant City, etc, etc....ugly.

Larry 

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 31 2007,22:10)

(syersj @ Dec. 31 2007,22:04)

Check the NWS forecast for Lutz, Brandon, Dover, Bloomingdale, Plant City, etc, etc....ugly.

I just checked Yahoo weather and they have a low of 30 forecasted for Brandon.

hi people in florida. this look to me very bad. i find this in the weatherunderground for tampa.

Pronóstico para los Siguientes 5 días for ZIP Code 33601

Martes Miércoles Jueves Viernes Sábado

69° F | 33° F

21° C | 1° C  

49° F | 21° F

9° C | -6° C  

55° F | 35° F

13° C | 2° C  

66° F | 46° F

19° C | 8° C  

72° F | 48° F

22° C | 9° C  

21F in tampa !

and this for miami:

Pronóstico para los Siguientes 5 días for ZIP Code 33010

Martes Miércoles Jueves Viernes Sábado

80° F | 46° F

27° C | 8° C  

59° F | 38° F

15° C | 3° C  

63° F | 53° F

17° C | 12° C  

71° F | 57° F

22° C | 14° C  

74° F | 59° F

23° C | 15° C  

they say in the weatherunderground hard freeze for florida to area of miami away from ocean.

im very sorry, what happen to us in the january 2007 now is to happen in florida i hope damages not to much ok i think of you people there.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

I guess I should feel lucky about the 31F prediction at my house. The forecasts for places off the water are downright brutal - I foresee a lot of tender plants (Adonidias) kicking the bucket over Central Florida.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

(syersj @ Dec. 31 2007,22:34)

They are out in left field!

Larry 

I see forcast lows for Tampa from 26-34 Thurs. morning. That is a 10 degree spread. Fox has come up on the low to 31. He also said if the wind has any NW flow the temp west of I-75 should remain above freezing due to warm Gulf temps. He then said " we will have to wait to see how this plays out"

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

(Scott Mcintosh @ Jan. 01 2008,07:59)

I see forcast lows for Tampa from 26-34 Thurs. morning. That is a 10 degree spread. Fox has come up on the low to 31. He also said if the wind has any NW flow the temp west of I-75 should remain above freezing due to warm Gulf temps. He then said " we will have to wait to see how this plays out"

Scott-

Thats what we all hope for....some NW wind component!

When that happens, my yard stays toasty!  

Its when the winds die off, or come from the NE that me no likely as much :(

Larry 

The local weather man for Gainesville just said 28 tonight, 18 tomorrow night and a struggle Wednesday day to get to about 46.

I honestly do not remember the actual "on paper" predicted low ever being in the teens for Gainesville, in town, since I have lived here (15 years). They have said 20 many times, but  usually the teens are reserved for outlying areas.

I think I am going to just cut some stuff down prophylactically, make it easier to cover lower stuff with frost cloth

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

Maybe a little off topic, but if you guys get cold challanged in Florida, does anyone have Beccariophoenix growing outside? We have been trying in Calif. to find out how much cold they will take. Speculation is they will take 24 or 25 (no windows) with no damage.

Dick

Richard Douglas

22 is the forecast for up here in spring hill!  I've got a house built for the A. cunninghamiana.  The bottles and Adonidias will be brought inside, and I'll have to cover the Cordylines, Crotons, and Monstera that I have... Scary night.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Well, bad news this morning for all.  Forecast for So. Louisiana this morning have move downward a good bit.  Lows for next 3 nights are 30, 25, and 30.  

I guess we are going to find out real quick on that Wodyetia, haha.

I'm sitting in an Austin motel room watching what few tropical plants the former landlord didn't steal prepare to meet their maker in inland St Lucie County...

Looks like a good day to start ordering seed online... :(

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

(PalmGuyWC @ Jan. 01 2008,09:54)

Maybe a little off topic, but if you guys get cold challanged in Florida, does anyone have Beccariophoenix growing outside? We have been trying in Calif. to find out how much cold they will take. Speculation is they will take 24 or 25 (no windows) with no damage.

Dick

I'm about to find out.

Tom

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

The Arctic Express arrived in Louisiana around 10am.  Winds are cooking and it is cooling fast.    Look out MS, AL, and FL, here is comes.

All of my palms will be in the greenhouse with the space heater on high.  My guess is 18F at my house.

Jacksonville, FL

Zone 9a

First Officer

Air Wisconsin Airlines (USairways Express)

Canadair Regional Jet

Base: ORF

Good luck folks, we went thru this a year ago for 4 days. My only overall observations were, take care of your rare smaller plants, the bigger a plant is, the better a chance it has!  It seems if a growing point was more than 4 or 5 feet in the air, it did OK.

Now, all of that was with still air. Not sure what your winds will bring.

Heres hoping 2008 is not so bad for all of us!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Forecast here is 19/20F at the airport in the countryside (NOAA), 24F or so downtown (Weather Channel). At least this is radiational and dewpoints are low so perhaps the damage will not be so horrible and temps can moderate more quickly.

I do have small Beccariophoenix alfredii and mad. 'no windows' in the ground, but I will probably cover them with leaves as a precaution. I think they're just too small to give them the full acid-test if it does make it down to near 20F. I pulled two Heliconias out of the ground and in the greenhouse they went, the others are large and will finally go down, so the test will be a good one for this winter. I think the Livistona chinensis will probably burn a bit, I'm not really worried about the Phoenix, Cham. microspadix and radicalis, etc. Dypsis lutescens will probably get tented tonight but I've come to terms with losing them since they are easily replaceable. I hope I don't lose my large fruiting bananas that I'm trying to hold over for bloom next year. Oh well...I guess we'll all know pretty well later this week how it pans out.

Am worried very much for y'all in central and northern Florida, it sounds like ol' man winter is playing a very mean New Years game here. With all that tender material planted there, especially around Tampa/St. Pete and Orlando, I hate to think...here's keeping the old fingers crossed.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 01 2008,07:49)

They still only have 28F for Brandon.  (I check out Brandon weather occasionally, because I used to live there for 5 yrs before moving to TX).

I am going to play the odds. All my palms are on their own, even the potted ones.I will put them to the test.If they do not make it, so be it. Most of more tender palms are to large .

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

(syersj @ Jan. 01 2008,13:35)

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 01 2008,07:49)

They still only have 28F for Brandon.  (I check out Brandon weather occasionally, because I used to live there for 5 yrs before moving to TX).

It looks like the forecasts for much of East Hillsborough have been revised up....and those for the western areas have come down some.  BOOHOO!

Larry 

They have upped to forecast somewhat for some areas in tampa.  There is now a fighting chance I think.  ( I was forecasted for, like -150F but am now at a balmy 28F) 28F is a good cut off for a fighting chance sometimes so I have stopped SOME of the tears.  Wunderground has Tampa at 20-21F.  They piss me off, and histerically they are the low temp leader.  

Noaa says 28F, weather.com says 30F, all up from what they were.  weather.com does seem to do better as a front approaches that the others (about equal with  noaa, I think)

Ray, Spock, what do you think about this assesment as to weather prognosticators ability to irk guys like us? (You know, dim wits?)

I am hoping for the best as this has worked well for me in the past.  I am  planning some drag ins tonight to lighten the load wednesday.

With tears in my beer,

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Ray, I remember that February in 96, all the way down to sarasota was frozen like a popsicle.  it sucked.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Forecasting 27F in Orlando, and I'm in Pennsylvania.  I'm so screwed...

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Well it is 5:30 PM here and the wind is dead a** calm, NE 1 MPH!

According to the forecast it was supposed to blow today 15 to 20 with gusts to 30 MPH? Maybe if they missed the wind forecast they missed the COLD forecast also,

one can only hope. Granted it might blow tonight after the front has completely cleared the area,but they were late on the timing ,if it does blow!

But NO wind here  kinda scares me more than if  it was blowing!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD