IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jan 2 Cold Snap

_Keith

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 04 2008,16:24)

I can't imagine Ft. Laud had anything less than 45 or so...

39F at the Ft. Laud airport if memory serves.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I got lucky here ,they missed my forecast low by a pretty good margin! What else is new! ???

It was 33.6F here at the house in Titusville for the low!No damage here that I can see at this point.

They had my mom in Ponciana forecast for 26,thankfully they missed that also low, 29.6F there for a low.

I was kinda worried when the temp dropped to 38.8F about 30 minutes after sunset,(dark)and saw the dew points.I said we are headed for a rough night. But in the end the low dew points along with the wind was a blessing as that prevented frost.With those temps and frost the event would have been a whole different story,.

I didn't see any damage at her house either,when I left,I guess time will tell. All in all with the dire predictions,I guess we made out okay! Having said that the reality is they could have missed it high by just as much!

I'm really glad weathermen don't have a clue. :;):

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(Jimbean @ Jan. 04 2008,18:19)

Weathermen gotta love em!!!

I was watching the newsThursday morning,and they were all HYPED up about this supposed snow event! :laugh:

The one weather lady said she was REAL disappointed that we didn't set any record lows in central Florida,but in the same breath was giddy about SNOW! I bet there were alot of people on this board who didn't share her sentiments,as well as strawberry, fern,and citrus growers!

I guess if one hype goes away ,jump on the wagon of another!

Between the cold ,wind, and snow they were in hog heaven over it!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

(gsn @ Jan. 04 2008,20:36)

(Jimbean @ Jan. 04 2008,18:19)

Weathermen gotta love em!!!

I was watching the newsThursday morning,and they were all HYPED up about this supposed snow event! :laugh:

The one weather lady said she was REAL disappointed that we didn't set any record lows in central Florida,but in the same breath was giddy about SNOW! I bet there were alot of people on this board who didn't share her sentiments,as well as strawberry, fern,and citrus growers!

I guess if one hype goes away ,jump on the wagon of another!

Between the cold ,wind, and snow they were in hog heaven over it!

lol yeah I know, who out there really wants to set a record low, I mean come on now  :laugh:

Brevard County, Fl

Kathryn, Great news about the Psuedophoenix sargenti.That palm will look astounding next to those Live Oaks and other subtropical plantings.

After Habana reported a low of 46F.,Fidel Castro was quoted by Canadian press as stating that"he felt like break dancing!"

What you look for is what is looking

(Jeff Searle @ Jan. 03 2008,13:18)

Sunny,

Way to go, you got to do what you gotta do. :D  And anytime, your welcome back down.

BTW, I had 36 degrees last night at my house. And I'm just 5 minutes from the nursery. I think everything will be OK from this. But, too early to tell yet.

Jeff

Yikes, Jeff - you had 36?  That's strange - you were only a degree or so warmer than us.  Is everything okay?  I know you have some very tender plants in there.

Oh hey - remember the Pink Diamond cordyline we got from you last fall?  What a beauty - and it's flowering.  I'll have to post a piccie in the tropical plants forum.  But the leaves and stems are the real show, veddy nice  :cool:

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Hey Larry, thanks for posting the USDA map - looks as if we're designated 10A which makes sense.  

I did notice that the base years are 1981-1995, some of the coldest.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I fall in the 10A area on that map but there is a big differance in what is growing in central and southern Pinellas county compared to here..I think that southern Pinellas county is about as good as West Palm beach and western areas of Miami overall. Yeh, but Palm beach and miami beach and key west are warmer but southern pinellas is a lot farther north.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Southern Pinellas obviously has a great microclimate.Does anyone know the lowest low in the St.Pete area during this cold snap?

(bubba @ Jan. 05 2008,09:03)

Southern Pinellas obviously has a great microclimate.Does anyone know the lowest low in the St.Pete area during this cold snap?

Highest official low was 34F at Albert Whitted AP (on the Bay).  

Lots of amateur stations logged upper 20's to lower 30's.  

The NE winds pretty much eliminated microclimates this go round.

Larry 

After Habana reported a low of 46F.,Fidel Castro was quoted by Canadian press as stating that"he felt like break dancing!"
 :laugh:

Glad that freak polar invasion is over so quickly.  Assume that rapid warmup would improve plant conditions, right?  ???

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ,I think that the quick rebound is a critical factor in the limitation of damages sustained by tropical Palms/plants.As an example,the following temperatures were reported at these three Florida locations over the "freeze".

Miami-

1/3-60/39

1/4-72/53

1/5-75/61

West Palm-

1/3-60/35

1/4-66/50

1/5-75/54

Orlando-

1/3-52/32

1/4-66/42

1/5-70/50

These temperatures were the lowest experienced in six years.While cold,I do not believe it was cold enough long enough to cause any major losses. I can only comment regarding losses in our area and I know of none.The question now is what happens next!No matter what,these freezes are unifomly disliked by everyone trying to grow tropicals.In California in 2007,what kind of duration did you experience and how quickly did you rebound?

(bubba @ Jan. 05 2008,20:44)

These temperatures were the lowest experienced in six years.

Bubba-

Im sorry to nitpick, but I think they are the lowest in 4 years.  The January 2003 cold snap was a little colder.

Larry 

Bubba,

That is true to a certain point!

Down in south Florida you don't have to worry all that much about freezes,especally HARD freezes. But up here in central Florida it is another matter.

No matter how fast it warms up the next day or the day after that,if it gets cold enough on that one night , I repeat ONE night,(especially with FROST) the rebound temps will have very little if any effect on what  does or does not get damaged.

As an example if we hit 25F or 24F here on just one night foxtails,lutesens,mitis,adonida,spindles,bottles,

vetichia,coconuts, to name a few are pretty much toast no matter how much it warms UP the next day!

The absolute lows can not be recovered from. Don't get me wrong the fast warm up helps,especially in events that that are borderline say 28F t0 32F.

That is why I have said, and will continue to say that with exception of 1,2,at most 3 nights a winter we could grow just about anything that Miami can grow!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Scott, You are right. You guys are definitely testing the limits although with rather amazing results.I am sure you would agree that duration has a major effect on damage.