IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Potash/Potassium Chloride (Muriate of Potassium) ?

Mindaries_Perth

Hi people. This is my very first post here after having found it a very informative site I'm wondering if someone can help me out.

I live in the northern coastal suburb in Perth Western Australia. The soils here are very basic so leaching of nutrients and water is always a problem.

My question is to do with Potassium fertilizers. I'd like to feed my palms with a good source of high but long lasting potassium. Which one should I use given the choice of potassium sulfate or potassium chloride. I know that the latter is derived from salts and thats problematic, but does this last longer (slower release) than the other ?

Rahaidi

Rahaidi

Mindaries (30kms North of Perth, Coastal)

@ Lat 31º 41' S Long 115º 42' E

Perth Western Australia

try phased release products from      www.hifert.com.au

they have a k mag and some other blends, dont know if you have to buy in quantity,bulk,or what but it looks like a starting point anyway.

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Hi, Mindaries_Perth:

In general, I'd agree with Palmotrafficante, being from an area of Florida noted for sandy soils w/ little cation exchange capacity [CEC].  OTOH, if your soils there have decent CEC, the sulfate is much better than the chloride.  A good dose of the chloride ion can damage a lot of susceptible plants, and should be used sparingly if at all.  OTOH, sulfate or magnesium deficiencies are not unusual, so I use potassium sulfate if not using KMag, in which the Magnesium is essentially a free bonus.

Best Wishes,

merrill

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

I use Potassium Sulfate and Potassium Silicate (I would guess that Silicate would last longer but its much more expensive).  Chloride would most likely cause damage when its applied in high amounts.

I would always supply Magnesium as well when applying potassium. (easily leached and very important to palms)

Zone 7a/b Delaware

Unusual Plants

Kmag is a good way to go if you can find it. As it has both potasium and magnesium which if not applied together will cause an imbalance. It is not slow release ,but the kind I get from Lesco here in the states is in grandular form(crystals) which disssolve over a period of time.

By the way just a heads up, I beleive Lesco is going to discontinue carrying this here in Florida, as I just picked up 4 bags ,what was left in their stock,in Kissimmee for 1/2 price!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

• 1 month later...

There is a fair amount of experience with oil palm planted on high calcium soils in Columbia and Costa

Rica. When KCl is used palms absorb large amounts of calcium from the soil solution causing problems

with K absorption due to cation competion. K-sulphate has less effect and oil palm leaf levels are generally higher, since there is less Ca competion. In oil palm plantations the empty bunches after

milling are high in potassium and are often applied as mulch. Oil palm roots invade a layer of this

organic matter and can absorb potassium in the absence of Ca competion. I would try thick mulches

with organic matter that is high in K.

D.L.Richardson

Southern States Coop [we have one in nearby Trenton, FL] Carries KMag in bulk, $13.50 / 100 lbs.  Our local Lesco here in Gainesville, FL has three formulations of KMag, from about $24 - $30/ 50 lb bag.  This store expected to continue selling it.   merrill

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

Scott -- I picked up a couple of bags of KMag Friday at the Lesco in Port Charlotte. Workers there said they were going to continue to carry it. I use about a half-bag a year.

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

Just noticed this thread. Mindaries is coastal with salt spray etc, so KCl would be a prob I think with chlorine toxicity possibly. In addition your soil pH would be high because of the high limestone content, so Potassium Sulfate would also lower the pH a bit. I'd go with the sulfate first, but also add trace elements to stop any nutrient lockup from excess Potassium. You'll find that lowering the pH will also unlock other nutrients laying there already, such as Iron etc.

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hey thanks guys for your replies. Geez theres bit of science with all this.

How often do you guys feed your palms with the addition K suphate + trace elements ? Only in the growing season ?

The soils where I am is fast draining, but the I have it built up over time and its enriched with humus.

I've observed on many of my palms have browned tips. These happens to the the Spindles and especially to the Chamy Cascades. I got a feeling that I need  to supply them with the additional K.

I'll have to post some pics to show, as soon a I can work out how to do it here.

Cheers

Rahaidi

Rahaidi

Mindaries (30kms North of Perth, Coastal)

@ Lat 31º 41' S Long 115º 42' E

Perth Western Australia

I've just given my Hyophorbe indica's which are trying to flower and my flowering Bangalows some Thrive Flower and Fruit. That has 26% Potassium. It seems to colour up the indica's trunks nicely too. That's probably the easiest fert to get with the right mix.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.