IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

I saw some local Oceanside forecasts of 37F Tues and Weds nite. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

46F for me this morning. 1.33" of rain yesterday.

The next 3 mornings will be cold again. Forecasts vary, but 34-36F is what inland and low areas could see

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Last night was my first one without cloud cover for weeks, and my two temp. probes read 34F as a low this morning. I picked up a cat dish that was full of water and there was ice on top, but it was in a very exposed area. The roof tops are white with frost. It's supposed to be clear here all day and a high near 60F.

Dick

Richard Douglas

45F this morning.  1.25" of rain over the weekend!  The canyon is alive with the sound of rushing water.  Could we see frost tomorrow morning?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

WoW  :P San Diego enjoyed the bulk of the rain [only 0.40" here but rainyear total is already 18.50" - that's the average for the whole year!

46F /7.7c

Night temps should stay cold into mid-week though wind will modify minimums in most areas.  Warm-up coming  :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

The rain saturated the wood fence and when the sun hit it this morning it began to steam!

post--1202155276_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Love the pic of the steamy fence! :)

My low was 46.4F over the last 2 nights.  I got a scant 1/2 inch of rain, seems like the coast always gets less.

This morning I went out to get the newspaper and there was a tiny sliver of moon suspended under two bright stars in the dark blue sky to the east.  I ran for my camera but then the clouds had obscured the view, I will try again tomorrow morning.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I forgot to empty my rain trashcan from the last storm!!!  :D

I'm afraid of the cold over the next few nights.

OK- at this point, which is worse, the continued (for two months?) cool nights and days, or the record cold of last Jan 2007?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

record cold was much worse...i haven't lost a plant yet this winter due to the weather.

also...just checked the coldframe temp in the backyard....42F, so I turned the heat on! It's clear as a bell outside. weird that there are no frost advisories for tonite. I put a hi-lo thermometer at the base of some Cycas thourasii I have outside at Dad's...be interesting to see how cold it gets there tonite.....will post tomorrow and let ya know!

weatherunderground has me at 32F Wednesday morning. No it doesn't compare to last January, but it's still getting tiresome.

i hear that Terry.....I may end up having to move a buncha stuff into the greenhouse at my Dad's before tomorrow night. I kinda hate lugging a lotta plants around, but it sure beats dealing with the cold damage.

31.8F @ 6:50am NNNNNNOOOOOOOooooooooooo.

post-1261-1202222830_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Ouch Matt! 35.8F here and frost on the cars.

Tomorrow morning should be slightly colder, but it's uphill after that for a while... hopefully this is the last one of these we get this winter.

40.1F here this morning.  I took a sunrise hike down the canyon and no frost present anywhere.  It looked like it wanted to but just not quite cold enough and it was a little breezy.  Plus we have water running through the gullies still so I think that helps keep the lowest spots a little warmer.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Well,is not too cold in S. California.

Real Mediterranean climate.

I'm from Croatia on the Adriatic Sea and here is Mediterranean climate but S. CA Is much warmer that there.

Climate zone : 8b/9a

January average temperature : 41°F/5°C

July average temperature : 80°F/27°C

(Tony from Europe @ Feb. 05 2008,12:51)

I'm from Croatia on the Adriatic Sea and here is Mediterranean climate but S. CA Is much warmer that there.

Hi Tony,

How cold do you get at your place?

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I am tired also. Took a walk around the front today where I get my lowest lows. Noticed some spotting on some palms. The palms and plants just look worn out. I have a teddy bear and a Ravenea kingaly opening spears that just don't open right because of no heat Tonite looks like the last of it for awhle, with some days actually in the 70's :D this week.

San Marcos CA

Agree w/ you Shon  :( NWS noted that it has been 3 weeks since the last normal temps

Welcome Tony  :D glad to invite Croatia to the board

Chilly 43F /6.1 this AM

Pleasant weather heading our way  :cool:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I was VERY shocked to only see 42F this morning at 545am. When I left at 645 it was 43F (out front)  I checked several times and it was that temp! It also felt "OK" outside.  I don't know what anomaly happened near me, but I hope it happens again tonite!!  (or warmer)

As I drove east I saw frost everywhere in Escondido, People scraping windsheilds, etc.  YET, if you were lucky enough to be on a "steep hill", no problem.  :D

I KEPT heading east and working...several hours and calls later I was here, ...in Julian.  :) The snow can stay here!

snow003.jpg

snow002.jpg

Oh yes, at one point I came out to watch roughly 30? wild turkey trot on by the van!!!  The camera was in the van, though.

checked the hi-lo thermometer I stuck near the base of some Cycas thourasii outside @ my dad's in vista this morning.

i was shocked to see the low was only 40F. inside the coldframe at the bottom of the hill where all the orchids were lost last year the low was 37F.

i got a feeling tonite will be the coldest nite of the week, and then we get some warmth!

(freakypalmguy @ Feb. 05 2008,19:35)

(Tony from Europe @ Feb. 05 2008,12:51)

Hi Tony,

How cold do you get at your place?

Matt

Here is now 1:00 pm and 12°C  54°F

You can watch my town's weather on : http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/14457.html

:;):  :;):

Good morning, I have 38.3F as my low today, down from 40.4F yesterday.

Hi Tony, Croatia is a beautiful place, I visited Dubrovnik when it was Yugoslavia under Tito.  I especially remember a chamber music concert in a stone courtyard, perhaps a palace?  And men singing around a table in the evening after work, wonderful harmonies.  I am sure it has changed a lot since then, but still very beautiful.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim- I suspect it will still drop a teeny bit this morn...

37F this morn. I've heard tonite will be almost as cold, THEN start to warm up.  :)  Just like Burt said.

At 7 AM, it's 41 F, 11 degrees warmer than yesterday this time. I suspect the cold air bubble I had yesterday has drifted down to S. Calif. Yesterday morning was one of the coldest I've had in weeks, then it warmed up and was the first spring like day all year. Warmer days and nights forcast for the next week.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I bottomed out at 34.7F a few minutes ago, and there is also frost on my neighbors roof. At least it warms up quickly on days like this.

(Kim @ Feb. 06 2008,09:15)

Hi Tony, Croatia is a beautiful place, I visited Dubrovnik when it was Yugoslavia under Tito.  I especially remember a chamber music concert in a stone courtyard, perhaps a palace?  And men singing around a table in the evening after work, wonderful harmonies.  I am sure it has changed a lot since then, but still very beautiful.

Yes,it is beautiful but I think that CALIFORNIA has the same beauty.It's not too cold there now.

Here is temperature minimum in the morning was 7°C  45°F

:)

(Tony from Europe @ Feb. 06 2008,10:49)

(Kim @ Feb. 06 2008,09:15)

Yes,it is beautiful but I think that CALIFORNIA has the same beauty.It's not too cold there now.

Here is temperature minimum in the morning was 7°C  45°F

:)

Tony,

Your minimum 45F/ 7.2c matches my reading [foothills are normally the warmest during these cold/basically calm nights.  But as you can read, there are many reporting  30's this morning  :o  outside the metro areas.

Is your garden on a hill?

Tonight the off shore wind will guarantee safe minimums state-wide /nearing 70F/21.1c by tomorrow  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Yes,my town is on the hill and I'm 50 km away of the Adriatic coast. :)  :;):

41.5F this morning and I can see frost on the roofs of the houses down the hill.  I fertilized my banana heavily yesterday in anticipation of warmer weather to come.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

36f was the low for me... looking forward to a little warmth! Been wanting to fertilize the queens... as they're really looking yellow this winter. Everything else seems alright..

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

7C (45F) this morning in El Sereno.  When I went jogging in the "lowlands" this morning I saw heavy frost on grass/cars/roofs.  I bet there's a 5C difference between my place and the bottom of the hill on nights like this...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jack- Is that 5C or 5F ? ???

Man, no "So Cal snow" comments, I'm suprised!  :P

(BS @ Man about Palms,Feb. 06 2008,06:24)

Kim- I suspect it will still drop a teeny bit this morn...

37F this morn. I've heard tonite will be almost as cold, THEN start to warm up.  :)  Just like Burt said.

Ok, it dropped to 38.1, good call.

This morning I had a reading of 40.3.  On Valentine's Day I will take the bottle palm outdoors again.  It's been very happy in the garage near a window, even opening a new frond.  

Probably about time to turn the irrigation back on, too.  What do you think, Happ?

Kim Cyr

43.5F this morning.  Daytime temps are rebounding nicely.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Probably about time to turn the irrigation back on, too.  What do you think, Happ?

Yes Kim.  Hate to admit it but the medium-range models "horizon" [6-14 days] doesn't include rain for California.  January's "miracle" storms really helped ease the drought [but the ‘alcalde’ of LA is warning water restrictions, nonetheless  :o

46F /7.7c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23