IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

(jenks @ Jan. 25 2008,01:29)

Pretty windy here in Laguna Niguel. I just saw a bulletin on tv warning of possible TORNADO'S in LA. That is the first time in my life I have seen a tornado warning in socal.

Happ - whatcha got?

Hey Jenks

Yes, I also noticed the tornado warnings issued by the NWS last night due to water spouts coming onshore near Long Beach/Palos Verdes as well as Ventura coastline.  Rather unusual but weak tornadoes do occur in California when a cold upper air mass clashes with the warmer ocean temps.  I understand that these disturbances did not cause any damage.

Minimum was 48F this morning after a record cold maximum of only 50F yesterday.  Close to 10 inches of rainfall so far from the storms this week with more heavier showers forecast for this weekend.  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I guess I should start a N. Calif. weather thread, but not many would read it since there are so few palm nuts up here. We are connected, so what we get, you guys usually get a day later in the South. What has surprised me this year, is how close our winter temperatures have been, and I don't think it's normal. Normally, I would expect your night time lows to be about 10 degrees above ours, but this year they have been pretty close.

For the past week, I have seen nothing but overcast, rain, drizzle and mist, but it's been constant all week. The temps have ranged from 39.5 to 50 and mostly in the low 40's. This morning for the first time, there was a beautiful orange glow as the sun came up, but it soon dissapeared as more clouds moved in. Just as I stepped out a gust of wind blew a Washingtonia frond down.  It narrowly missed me, but landed in the middle of a barrel cactus. I would just as soon it had hit me as the cactus.

It's not raining now for the first time in days, but there is another low moving in and more rain expected later today. There is snow on many of the Bay Area hills, but it's melting fast. We can expect rain or showers up here for the next week and maybe slightly warmer temps, as the next low is dragging in tropical air.

As misserable as it may seem, with the gloom, I'll take this over clear cold nights with frost.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick - as a SoCal guy, I have no problem with you posting here... In hindsight it could have been just a California thread.

Since November our overall temperatures have been 5-10 below normal. On an almost daily basis, my low has been 35-40F with our Dec-Jan average normally being 45F. The only positive is no minimums below about 30F.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Looks like the bulk of the rain has wound down though isolated t-storms/showers may occur thru the night.  Over 7 inches in 7 days  :P that nicely soaked into the soil - very few mud & rock slides statewide.  Biggest along Pacific Coast Highway [1] south of San Francisco.  

Dick

I'm sure you've been happy with the temps.  Week ahead stays unsettled w/ some clouds/wind/below normal temps  :( I’d like some warmer soil temps & keep caryota urens/no green

LA: 61F/16.1c

52F/11.1c

Rain: Jan - 12.38"

Year: Jul-Jun - 17.48"

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

50.0F this mornings low.  Nice and wet, not too cold.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

43F this morning. Partly cloudy and humidity is still high.  It's chilly.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

44.4F this morning.  Brrrrrrrrrrr!  No daytime heat at all lately.  We've been in the 50's during the day for the last week.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Today is the first time I've seen the sun come up in days. The low this morning touched 35 briefly and now it's a balmy 47.5F with a high today around 55F. Everything is drippy and wet as it drizzled during the night. At least today, with no clouds, things may dry out.....somewhat. More rain forcast for tomorrow. Still cooler than normal, but at least no freezing temps. forcast for the next week.

This winter is getting on my nerves, and I'm getting grouchey and crankey. Just a few sunny days in the mid 60's would make me happy. The 70's would make me delerious. :)

I can see signs of spring. The days are getting noticeably longer, and the bulbs have sprung up and buds showing. The pear trees in the neighborhood are begining to bloom, but no Robins yet.

Dick

Richard Douglas

My low for Jan Was 32 and my high was 72.5. Tonight is supposed to be a cold one. I'm going to throw out a couple frost cloths on smaller stuff.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I was 40F again this morning. (Matt, I like the weather widget thing)

My numbers...

December: Historic Ave Low = 45F. '07 Ave Low = 39F. My Low = 30F

January:    Historic Ave Low = 45F. '08 Ave Low = 41F. My Low = 32F

It was colder this morning, 41.7F, whereas the last few days the low was around 44+.  

I've been remiss about posting every day, but if it's especially cold, I make an effort to get on the board.

Dick-- Your contributions to this thread are very worthwhile, don't stop posting now!  But maybe a brief vacation to a warmer climate would cheer you up.  I too have noticed the days lengthening and am grateful for that.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Fricken 39F here again this morning....    I'm glad Jeff and Ken during the WARMER part of this winter!  :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

36F here. Coldest day in over 2 weeks.

Thanks Terry.

I got down to 39 where my sensor is. I'm sure it got colder in other areas and lower for sure. Hopefully that's the last of it.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Yeah, it was a cold one.  42F for me.  The humidity was pretty high too.  We were definately under the dew point.  Did anyone experience frost on roofs, lawns or windshields?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Really weird weather here...Only down to 42F here this morning, early....but another front is approaching and we have cloud cover. Sunny day here yesterday, and I worked along with my garden helper all day. Sore feet and a snarkey back this morning. My garden is still a mess from the winter storms, and a few more days of intensive work to get it whipped back into shape. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Wow, this "snarky" thing is really taking off!  Now even backs can be snarky.  We should be giving my wife the credit for bringing this antique word back into circulation.....and Paul for mass distributing it on the internet.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Actually, I picked the word up from you, Matt. I really don't know what it means...but it sounds catchey.  Do you have a definition?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Humm, Snarky actually IS a word. I just pulled it up on Google. It means to annoy or irritate or to be bitchey, all which fits the way my back feels.

Dick

Richard Douglas

No frost on cars, and more important, no ice in the birdbath!

I always wondered if snarky was combining "snide" and "sarcastic". I'll try to avoid snarcasm from now on.

My wife just threw that word out in a conversation one time.  We laughed because we thought she just made up a word, which we do often.  A week later she was reading an old book and that word was in there!  We looked it up and not only was it a real word, but she had used it in the right context.  I guess it was a word that her subconcious had filled away and just decided to spit out one day.  The rest is history.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Around 6am it was 41, but dropped to 39.9 as the sun was rising.  

MattyB and Paul are snarkmasters, just watch them in action and you'll understand the definition.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

oui,oui, si, si

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Last 4 days - Min: 43F-49F /6.1c-9.4c

Max: 60F-67F /15.5c-19.4c

Another trough is developing w/ rain likely though much weaker than the last storm.  Next week looks nice  :P  

Where is SnarkVille?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Take the last train, it'll get you there by 4:30.

(BS @ Man about Palms,Jan. 31 2008,19:01)

Take the last train, it'll get you there by 4:30.

You're quoting the Monkees??  Oh, that is bad.  That is really bad.  Where is the rolling eyes icon?  (I think 'snark' is the sound made when inhaling while laughing really really hard.)

So Happ:  Need to get a housewarming gift for a friend who's built a compound in Malibu just south (east?) of the Zuma Beach point area, ocean-side of the PCH.  Is this part of the banana belt below the mountains?  I'm thinking a nice Alcantaria imperialis or a hybrid vriesea, or an orchid, if I can find one blooming...  I know she gets the Santa Anas big time.  Do you know the area?

Sorry if this is too off-topic...

Kim Cyr

Shouldn't a new Feb. Calif. weather thread be started? This one has about run it's course and we can kiss a cold Jan. goodby.

Dick

Richard Douglas

37F this morning  :angry:   PLEASE send some global warming soon!!!

Kim, I thought the Monkees were the great philosophers of their time.  :D

Happ-  this was just a "wintertime" thread, it was started in Dec., so its still fresh............

36F again. 10F below normal shouldn't be such a common experience.

Last night was my first cloudless night for many a moon, and the temp. is 35.8F. My rain saturated deck was slick with frost or ice and I almost busted it. Clouds forcast for later today and tonight, then more rain over the weekend.

Kim......I'm headed for S. Fla in March.....hope to attend the S. Fla. palm sale while there. That should improve my disposition. I'm sure I'll see the palm boys that just visited you in S. Cal. Maybe I'll even ask for an autograph since they are celeberties now!

Dick

Richard Douglas

36f the low for the last two days here.... was nice because about 3 days ago, weather.com was predicting a low of 29 for me.... so 36 doesn't seem so bad.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

42.1F this morning.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(Kim @ Feb. 01 2008,01:20)

So Happ:  Need to get a housewarming gift for a friend who's built a compound in Malibu just south (east?) of the Zuma Beach point area, ocean-side of the PCH.  Is this part of the banana belt below the mountains?  I'm thinking a nice Alcantaria imperialis or a hybrid vriesea, or an orchid, if I can find one blooming...  I know she gets the Santa Anas big time.  Do you know the area?

Sorry if this is too off-topic...

Kim

Malibu is safely USDA zone 11 [  21 miles of south-facing beach/mts.  Often observe warmest winter minimums in California.  :cool:

Thinking of warmth - I getting tired of these cold temperatures  :(  coldest Jan in 30 years

LA: 64F / 17.7c

46F / 7.7c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Thanks Happ, lots of choices then.

I had 39.9 again last night, and it wasn't very warm during the day, although my high was recorded as 64+.

Usually we get some incredibly nice weather for the golf tournaments to show off on TV, but not this year...

Kim Cyr

i'm for abolishing winter....all those in favor....vote AYE!

under my administration, we shall go right from fall into spring-time weather.

:P

I'm with you Burt.. at least its in the 40's this morning

49F at my place, with light drizzle. More rain tonight.

There are more ill defined waves of moisture moving into the SF Bay Area this morning. Rain is imminent here and the temp is 39.5F. Yesterday was tollerable weather and I finished up hauling two truck loads of winter debris to the dump, mostly palm fronds. I guess this is Super Bowl weekend and to heck with the garden. The rain just started here at 8:35 AM.

Dick

Richard Douglas

some of my Cycas thourasii's took some leaf hits at my dad's over the last few nights.....poor guys. it's gotten into the 30's over there in Vista.

'til i get the greenhouse "painted", i have the choice of torching them in the sun inside or freezing them outside at nite. I think i may have to just put up some shadecloth inside and put 'em in there for the next few weeks.

The Bay Area storm will be SoCal's storm tomorrow.  Rainfall conditions appear healthy but wind may be an issue.  "Palmdale Wave" [winds exceeding 70mph /112km  :o forecast for upper Mojave desert tomorrow

This may be the last storm for a while & California will warm to normal values next week  :D

Gives us time to assess mid-winter garden conditions  :(

Lo: 46F /7.7c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23