IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

Interesting contrast this morning:

NWS-LA 01-12-08 700

OCEANSIDE AP: 40F/4.4c - CALM

VALLEY CENTER: 57F/13.3 - NE2

SAN RAFAEL HILLS: 62F/16.6c - N5

LONG BEACH: 40F - CALM

Nice week coming our way  :D

56.3F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

43F here today, and I noticed that our John coleman said earlier this week that his "KUSISuper computer" showed a possibility of no more rain in January.  Good and bad I guess.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

40F again.

Bill - weather.com shows a good chance of rain next week.

post-662-1200331358_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

54F this morning.  Windy and very dry.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(osideterry @ Jan. 14 2008,12:22)

40F again.

Bill - weather.com shows a good chance of rain next week.

Terry,

In the other thread you guys said you were on a warming trend? ???

Everyone of those lows would scare me until Sunday night,well even the 41's wouldn't make me all that thrilled!

It has been my experience that is not at all uncommon for them to miss high or low by 3-5 degrees. Especially in your climate where one side of the hill is 10 degrees warmer,or colder, than the other side ,or bottom,or top of the hill!. Having said that any of those nights could freeze.

Good luck with the rest of the winter ,hope you make it through without a bad freeze like last year! :)

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

In the other thread you guys said you were on a warming trend?  

We sometimes experience our coldest nights when the days are the warmest due to dry santa ana conditions.  We're having a santa ana right now.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Scott - my O'side forecast lows are 5-10F lower than most in coastal SoCal. I'm not looking forward to 35-37F lows this week, but I'm not freaking out either. I don't worry until they forecast 33F or lower.

Florida is much different than here. I see guys in 9B Florida posting pictures of Adonidia and bottle palms. Your coldsnap last week looked like normal winter damage to me.

49F this morning, dry and clear.  Offshore flow.  You can see the smog sitting off the coast.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

40F again for me.

Hoping the predictions of 34F for the next two mornings are off. I always seem to read at 1F above weather.com's forecast.

Around 12C (54F) for my low last night.  It hasn't been below 10C (50F) for almost a week now...

Even better, there's actually been some warmth during the day.  Maybe my Cocos will still be alive in April :D

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Ohhhhhhhh great!!!! Now you've gone and done it Jack!  I was thinking the same thing about my Carpoxylon and Bottle Palms but I wouldn't dare say that out loud until at least mid-late february for fear of jinxing it!  But now you've gone and done it!  Say hellow to freeze my friends....thanks to Jack!  Say thanks to Jack everyone for the soon to come cold! :angry:   Nice work pal.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(MattyB @ Jan. 15 2008,13:57)

Ohhhhhhhh great!!!! Now you've gone and done it Jack!  I was thinking the same thing about my Carpoxylon and Bottle Palms but I wouldn't dare say that out loud until at least mid-late february for fear of jinxing it!  But now you've gone and done it!  Say hellow to freeze my friends....thanks to Jack!  Say thanks to Jack everyone for the soon to come cold! :angry:   Nice work pal.

Did I say my Cocos might still be alive in April? What I meant is that the Verschaffeltia I planted last summer will definitely be alive in April....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(MattyB @ Jan. 15 2008,08:57)

49F this morning, dry and clear.  Offshore flow.  You can see the smog sitting off the coast.

Matty, I suspect thats the "temperature inversion" versus smog.  (Humidity over the ocean pushed back by the dry air- I think)  Not much smog over San Diego if at all.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(elHoagie @ Jan. 15 2008,18:33)

(MattyB @ Jan. 15 2008,13:57)

Did I say my Cocos might still be alive in April? What I meant is that the Verschaffeltia I planted last summer will definitely be alive in April....

WoW  :P Verschaffeltia

Unfortunately cocos & splendida won't be very happy as a cold air mass descends upon California  :o

LA: 73F/22.7c

54F/12.2c  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

44F and a breezy fogbank here this morning, kinda weird.  Its socked in, but there seems to be a 5-10 mph breeze?  ???

45F and very foggy this morning.  My Cyrtostachys renda is looking great planted out in the open with no canopy at the bottom of my hill.  I think it'll start trunking this spring.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

41F, and no fog here a bit inland.

Not saying anything to jinx the weather...

(MattyB @ Jan. 16 2008,09:23)

My Cyrtostachys renda is looking great planted out in the open with no canopy at the bottom of my hill.  I think it'll start trunking this spring.

Good move, sealing wax palms need a lot of decomposed rubber in the soil to look their best.  I'd try one at my place if I could find a few more Michelins...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Oh man I surrender!  ILSHRN...I'm laughing so hard right now! :D :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

More bad news from the NSW.  Arctic air is sitting over western Canada & if certain atmospheric conditions occur the cold air will move into California. :o

Here are excerpts of this afternoon’s reports:

NWS-SAN FRANCISCO 1-16-08 1535

ECMWF AND GFS ARE COMING TO CLOSER AGREEMENT ON THE TIMING AND

POSITION OF A COLD TROUGH PUSHING INTO THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST

SUNDAY. IF THIS SYSTEM CONTINUES ON ITS FORECASTED PATH THE BAY AREA

COULD SEE SNOW LEVELS TO LESS THAN 2000 FEET BY MONDAY AFTERNOON. . .

THIS CUT OFF SYSTEM APPEARS COLD AND WILL LINGER AROUND THE AREA FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE FORECAST PERIOD.

NWS-LOS ANGELES 1-16-08

THE MODELS SHOW A LOW DIP DOWN FROM WESTERN CANADA INTO IDAHO AND UTAH AND RETROGRADE INTO SOUTHERN CAL BY MON NIGHT. YESTERDAY THE MODELS WERE SHOWING A SIMILAR PICTURE...BUT THE LOW DID NOT RETROGRADE AS FAR TO THE WEST. MONDAYS RUNS HAD THE LOW EVEN FURTHER TO THE EAST. THIS IS A TYPE OF SYSTEM

THAT THE MODELS HAVE TRADITIONALLY STRUGGLED WITH...BUT THE TRENDS

SHOW THIS LOW AFFECTING OUR AREA ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. IF THE LOW ENDS

UP FOLLOWING THE PATH CURRENT MODELS ARE SHOWING...WE SHOULD BE IN

STORE FOR SOME DECENT RAIN AND COLD TEMPS MON NIGHT THROUGH TUES

NIGHT...AND VERY LOW SNOW LEVELS AS THICKNESSES FALL BELOW 530 DM. IF THE

LOW FOLLOWS THE CURRENT MODEL TREND AND MOVES EVEN FARTHER

OFFSHORE...WE COULD GET SOME DRY OFFSHORE FLOW INSTEAD. IF THE LOW

CHANGES COURSE AND STAYS TO OUR EAST...WE WOULD BE IN STORE FOR SOME

RATHER STRONG NORTHERLY FLOW. END STORY IS THAT THIS SYSTEM WILL

IMPACT US NEXT WEEK...BUT THE OUTCOME IS HIGHLY SENSITIVE TO ITS

UNCERTAIN PLACEMENT.

Cold air is already moving south today but the mountains should block most penetration.  Next week, however, the conditions should change for the worse.  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Darn!  I'm blaming this on Jack.  After a week or so of lows ranging from 44F to 51F, this morning I've got 37F.  I wasn't expecting that until the weekend.  Ugh.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

45F/7.2c [ties 1/7/08 as coldest for month thus far

Wind was quite strong overnight but died down early this morning [dropping temps below 50F/10c

NWS trends temps warmer than some models next week but some cold air will spill into the state.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I was warmer than you Kim... a first. 39.5F

The forecast was I'd hit 32F this morning.

It was in the high 40's at 10pm w/ RH of 88% w/ dew all over the ground.

By 2am a dry easterly wind blew in and the temp dropped to the low 40's w/ a RH of 43%!  All the dew had evaporated.  Wierd!

I ended up with a wierd spread on my two sensors which are within 50 feet of each other.

38.8F & 42.1F

I only get that sensor to read lowest when it's real dry and clear out because that sensor has no canopy and can see the sky.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Lemon Grove was really cold last night too acording to my Mom.  She had a "heavy" sheet of ice on her windshield this morning.  I assume it got to 35F at least.  Strange that so many people experienced wind last night. After a light wind carrying the cold dry air came in last night it was still for 3-4 hours before sunset and it really got cold around here.  I spoke with BS who is up in north county, and he had a steady wind that kept him several degrees above 40F.  So in this case, the santa ana wind is your friend.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yep< I had 43F in the front at 530 am I was suprised when Matty told me how cold he got.  (Its about time  :P )

it was 35-36F here last nite.some plants are suffering,like the piper,which starts to MELT when it gets down around the mid 30's.

its not too cold out yet,i hope it stays that way tonite...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

My bottle palm is looking like ess aych eye tee, so I put it in the garage for tonight.  In case it gets colder than last night, which it might, tonight, what a fright, blight, ugly sight.

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

How poetic

kim you have a future writing broadway musicals. :D

i suggest one about the new palm discovery--what rhymes with "tahina"?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Marina, verbena, I seen ya, carina (there should be a ~ over the 'n').  Broadway musicals, how inssssulting.

Kim Cyr

POetry aside, this is our So-Cal winter season.

My place looks like death warmed over.  No freeze I know of, but everything looks like [fecal material].

Except the cold-loving stuff, Rhopies, Trachies, C urens.

Sigh.

Soon, this will be over.  By the time of the banquet

I keep telling myself.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

39.7  and crystal clear with lots of stars, warming already to 40+.

Kim Cyr

38F here at 445am :(   Bad, but I feel better than 1 year ago.

As my dear old Dad used say, "It's colder than a well diggers ass" in Walnut Creek this morning. It's either 28.8F or 32.5F, depending on which temp. probe I trust. It is several degrees lower than was forcast. It's been quite chilly here the past few days, and even lower temps. are forcast for early next week. There is some very cold air spilling into N. Calif., so you Southerners might expect the same in day or so. This is the coldest I've observed in over 3 weeks.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Oops and dang it!!  I didn't look again till just now, it dropped further!  :angry: At 650 am, make that 36F   no breeze.

36F also, but there is a slight breeze keeping it from being colder.

Yeah it's "crispy" like Paul after a night at Toshi! :D

42.2F  clear skies

By the way, my Lowes teddy bear palms are looking really bad.  2 are burnt all over but the spears look ok, which I expected, but one has a grey/green spear all they way down.  I hit them with a Fungicide drench this morning.  They're just so tender being Hawaii grown.  I remember several conversations with Phil Bergman where he was telling me about how plants brought in from Hawaii can be touchy sometimes, even if they're a species that can grow fine here there's a climactic shock that happens I guess.  Good thing I saved my receipt. :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Went and looked... we may have hit 32 last night. Not sure, cause I can't remember when I reset it... and haven't checked it recently. My stuff just looks all wind shredded and ugly. My little spindle - , which I'm using as my barometer, (canary in a coal mine) still looks ok.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland