IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

(PalmGuyWC @ Dec. 28 2007,10:08)

Matt, you and I seem to have similar temps. I'm really amazed that the "bubble" of cold air that passed over me yesterday reached you today, and only moderated 1.5 degrees. The clouds arrived here yesterday about 6 hours to late, as I expect they will reach you today.

Dick

I have noticed that also. I see on the forcast the clouds are supposed to move in today and we will get back up to a nice and toasty 35F or so. Everything here is looking OK so far, my Ravenea rivularis are looking a little discolored, but not too bad. I've been covering my Caryota gigas and Beccariophoenix allfredii just to play it safe and all my containers are in the garage. Looking forward to warmer wx.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

my low was 31f out in Riverside. Quite a bit better than the 27 weather.com was predicting.

My closest station is the March ARB Air Field, but I think even though it's a few miles away its always a little colder than here. So far no cold damage, although lots of wind shredded stuff.. the winds really howled through here a few days ago.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I thought for sure we were in for it last night.  I was at 45F by 7pm.  As soon as the sun went down the temp dropped like a rocket.  I know from experience that on the coldest of nights the temp can drop 10-12 degrees between 10pm (bedtime) and morning.  Luckily there was a soft breeze all night.  Just enough to keep the cold air moving.  I bottomed out at 40.8F.  Whew!  All of my Caryotas have cold spotting on them.  The smallest of them are only little one galloners so they're only about 6 inches off of the ground out in the wide open.  I bet they're seeing near freezing leaf surface temps.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Ya' know this cold weather we've been havin' lately ? I'm against it , who do I complain to ? It needs to get fixed !

44F/6.6c that surprised me a bit since the wind died down before 12midnight & clouds never materialized.  Seems the cold air moderated since even the low valleys were well above freezing in Los Angeles area [can't explain this since dewpoints/relative humidity stayed below 20% all night  ???

Today is becoming cloudy & with an impulse moving down the coast there is a chance of rain tonight [though not much if any].  But the clouds will keep tonight from dropping much even though today will stay quite chilly [ie. at 11AM & temps are below 60F/15.5c throughout SoCal  :o

Much talk among weather nerds about a possible big storm later next week for all of California  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

It's been a very strange day here in Walnut Creek. It's been overcast and damp all day and the temp. has hardly budged.  It's ranged from 41F to 43F, and it's 42.9F at 4:10 PM. I have a trend readout on one of my temp probes.  It's been a flat line all day. 70% chance of showers later tonight, and a great day for Ceroxylons and a misserable day for me and my dogs.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(PalmGuyWC @ Dec. 28 2007,16:12)

. I have a trend readout on one of my temp probes.  

Dick

I have to laugh at that too. I have one on one of mine also and its showed a snowflake on the display many times this month.  If it snows in Oceanside, I might very well work hard on being one of Bo's neighbors!!  :D

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Bill,

Don't let a snow flake scare you.  They have been reported in Miami, and I saw them once in Phoenix. It's those temps. below 32F that are trouble.

The temps. up here have been a straight line between 41F and 43F for the past two days.  It misted and light drizzle here all night and it's foggy right now at 41.7F. All of the "impulses" as Happ calls them, have fizzled out before they reached the S F Bay area.

This morning the humidity, which must be 100%, is condensing on the palms, and it feels like light rain underneeth them. Drip, drip, drip. The gloom is misserable and depressing.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I'll take the gloom over 30's or 20's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

48F/8.8c

Thankfully the lower levels of the atmosphere are warming as humidity rises.  No rain here but a bud in Terrasanta measured 0.10"

The cold spell is over  :D

Rain in large portions will occur late next week  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

48.4F - Someone pinch me, I must be dreaming.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Ahh yes, 40F for me last night. Break out the shorts and flip flops. (Oh wait, that's what I wear all the time, regardless of the weather)

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Some stats from the Oceanside Airport for the month of December...

We set record lows 5 days this month:

December 4 - 35F

December 10 - 34F

December 22 - 29F

December 26 - 29F

December 28 - 29F

My yard tends to bottom out 1 degree higher than the airport.

Other interesting numbers:

We've had 23 days with lows below average (44-45F)

21 days with lows below 40F

6 days at or below 32F

3 days below 30F

Here's hoping the worst this winter has for us is over.

Winter still very much remains in N. Calif. It's been foggy all day and the high temp. for the day is/was 45.3. I expect around 41 for the low tonight if the cloud cover remains which I expect it will.  It could be worse. No rain today and I don't expect any.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I thought we were supposed to be warmer for a while.  ???   I'm at 48F and still right now :(  11 hours till daylight.

44F last nignt and 57F for a high today...better than the high of 48F yesterday! Getting ready for copious amounts of rain later in the week. We're expecting small stream flooding and four to six inches of rain in the Bay Area over a three day period starting Thursday.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

36f for me... unlesss I forgot to reset it yesterday :(

Already mid fifties at 8:30 am... so maybe it's starting to warm up around here.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

The temps. in Walnut Creek drifted up to 47F in the middle of the night, but there were clouds. When the clouds moved out the temp dropped to 41, the approx temp. here day and night for 3 days. Broken low clouds this morning, so maybe some sun and a little warmth today. We need drying out as everything is still drippy and wet from the fog and drizzle.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It was 34.9F here. Colder than forecast (39F). What's odd is it's still 44F at 9am.

46F/7.7c

High winds did not descend as predicted allowing the cold airmass another night  :o

Major change coming: NWS-LA 12-30-07 930

.LONG TERM...

ALL EYES TURN TO WHAT COULD BE THE FIRST MAJOR STORM SINCE FEB 2005.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Well, tell us more about it.  I hope it's a warm one....but we need the rain regardless. Most of the fronts this year have either skipped the SF Bay Area or have fizzled out before they got here. I want to see dead Washingtonia fronds come down, some wind and some real rain.

I was reading about the prolonged drought in Australia in a science magazine. They have REAL problems and it could go on for years. I'm afraid we are not far behind.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(PalmGuyWC @ Dec. 30 2007,09:38)

Well, tell us more about it.  I hope it's a warm one....but we need the rain regardless. Most of the fronts this year have either skipped the SF Bay Area or have fizzled out before they got here. I want to see dead Washingtonia fronds come down, some wind and some real rain.

I was reading about the prolonged drought in Australia in a science magazine. They have REAL problems and it could go on for years. I'm afraid we are not far behind.

Dick

I wouldn't worry Dick. We're very close to seasonal norms right now ( less than an inch behind average). Heavy rain is forecast for the Bay Area later this week through the weekend that's expected to put us over 100% of normal in the entire bay region for the year. Some of the rain should reach southern CA later in the week.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Sunday 12-30 = 43F

Monday 12-31 = 44F

Planted this weekend:

Syagrus romanzoffiana

Pritchardia beccariana

Coccothrinax fragrans

Ravenea glauca

Dypsis madagascarensis

(2) plum trees

Hass Avocado

Jackfruit

I refuse to stop planting! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Sheesh, I hit 30F again this morning. Light frost on the grass and the surrounding areas below me covered in frost.

Matt in Temecula, CA

35F as usual.

Matty planted a queen! I'm gonna tell Wal...

Actually I saw a 15g queen triple at Evergreen Nursery yesterday that had real potential. 3 different heights and already curving trunks.

50F/10c

Matt in Temucula  :( frost-central unforunately

Seasonal temps for a few days followed by rain - big time  :P

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Sorry to cut in on a good California thread, but winter weather in Hawai'i can get somewhat depressing in the wet areas also.  At my place between Hilo and Bo's, I have seen the sun fewer times this month of December than I have fingers.  The temps have varied little from near 70 deg F day and night, but the real depressor is that we have had 27.3 inches of rain so far this month!  Gloom and wet!  How can one do any garden work?  Even the moss all over everything is drowning out!  I moved to this area because of dependable temps and rainfall, but this month has been the worst ever for depressing weather!  Luckily I got away to Kona last week for a day of ocean kayaking, and that was a real picker upper!

garrin in hawaii

Excuse me Garrin, were you looking for sympathy?  ???

Oh, there it went!  I hope you didn't blink, it's gone already.    :D

(MattyB @ Dec. 31 2007,08:51)

Planted this weekend:

Syagrus romanzoffiana

Pritchardia beccariana

Coccothrinax fragrans

Ravenea glauca

Dypsis madagascarensis

(2) plum trees

Hass Avocado

Jackfruit

I refuse to stop planting! :angry:

Matt, when it comes to Plum trees. Are two too many or is one just not enough?

PS - I would have waited till Spring to plant Dypsis madagascarensis.  :P

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Yeah, Garrin, I'll shed a tear for you. A low last night of 32.5....and sunny here today, but the high is only 47.9 and breezy. The breeze saved me last night and I hope for some more tonight. This has been a totally misserable Dec. in N. Calif.....not even a few warmish days which we can normally expect. Can El nina really be causing all of this?

Dick

Richard Douglas

My low was 51 F last night. Reading through the thread, I think I am a degree above Jack and Happ most of the time. The beauty of canyon living.

BTW-my Kentias are pushing fronds like crazy.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

David

Given shade/wind protection, kentia are a perfect foothill palm [H. forsteriana grows vigorously all year  :P

Spent last night in San Diego w/ quite mild temps in Tierrasanta.  Are you posting this morning's minimum? [most areas were in the mid 50's close to 60F/15.5c.  Cloud shield overhead should keep it comfortable tonight.

56F/13.3c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hi Happ,

Last night's min was 51 F. Most of the night it was 55F and then we had a quick drop and it went back up within 2 hours.

Some of my Kentias are protected but most aren't. Still, they keep on going. When the 50 of them get some trunk going (is that the right way to express that?!?!), it will be quite a sight.

FYI: If you wanna see what orographic effects look like, due to the upcoming storm, I'll be offering life-ending waterfall rides down my hill side this week.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

I like the warmer overnight temps and our local SD guy John Coleman says its so cloudy and conditions are right for a possible little spritz tomorrow, but more than likely the rain will get here Thurs morn and then rain thru Sunday I hope its not too much!  :D

(garrin @ Dec. 31 2007,12:56)

Sorry to cut in on a good California thread, but winter weather in Hawai'i can get somewhat depressing in the wet areas also.  At my place between Hilo and Bo's, I have seen the sun fewer times this month of December than I have fingers.  The temps have varied little from near 70 deg F day and night, but the real depressor is that we have had 27.3 inches of rain so far this month!  Gloom and wet!  How can one do any garden work?  Even the moss all over everything is drowning out!  I moved to this area because of dependable temps and rainfall, but this month has been the worst ever for depressing weather!  Luckily I got away to Kona last week for a day of ocean kayaking, and that was a real picker upper!

How long have you been on the Big Island?  Just wondering if it takes some getting used to.  At least it's not cold, and as you say, you can go to the dry side of the island for a break.  Are you in Leilani Estates?  I think I saw a post by Bo saying this December was wetter than usual for the east side of the island.

My low last night was 39.7.  I don't know how you guys are all getting these lows in the 50s!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.