IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

Yeah, that 30F-32F mark seems to be the magic number for a lot of plants.  If you can squeek by above that then you should be fine.  Even if it's a bit lower than that a sheet covering a plant will eek you by with little to no damage.  I had real good luck with just throwing a sheet over some plants last year.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

53F overnight with a whopping 1.48 inches of rainfall.  Was so surprised since I could not hear it raining last night even with the bedroom window open a little bit [love to hear the sound of rainfall at night  :P

The current storm is moving eastward into Arizona/New Mexico with cut-off energy circulating over the coastal waters of SoCal with clouds/light showers/humidity.  Another much weaker system should move into SoCal tomorrow w/ possible rainfall.  But the real concern is the cold air behind the front.  NWS keeps minimums in the 40's metro areas & 30's inland w/ above freezing temps including Oceanside/Temecula well into next week :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

1.48" dang, that's a lot for overnight.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

(happ @ Dec. 19 2007,17:42)

w/ above freezing temps including Oceanside/Temecula well into next week :D

Ahhhhhhh...... that's encouraging news happ, thank you  :D

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Oceanside got a reported .61 inches, looks about right in the "trashcan guage".  I'm mostly exstatic that I've recently put a very good sized Psuedophoenix eckmanii in a 7 gal pot and put it on my south facing deck, and it's growing!!!!  (knock on my wooden head here)  :D

(I should note here, Ithink its the sun on the black pot and the radiant heat from the wall that is making this guy happy,  sun ready helps too!!)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I'm in Hawaii right now, but laHoagie reported 34mm of rain last night at my place...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

34mm?  What is that like a foot...I don't know....come on Jack this is the SoCal thread you can use inches...

53F for a low last night.  We still have cloud cover this morning.  I thought it was gonna be clear and cold.  This is great though staying in the 50's.

Bill, on several occasions I've noticed plants that I've dug up performing better in black pots getting heated up by the sun than their counter parts that got put directly into the ground.  This leads me to believe that if you have to dig up something in the colder months then put it in a black pot and let it bake in the sun until spring.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

41F. Nice to be above 40 2 days in a row. It was 53F by 8am.

I'm going to boldly predict that this will be an average/moderate winter. Average lows (no arctic blast), and 9-12" of total rainfall. Some might think predicting "average" a safe and boring move, but average is something we only get about 1 year in 5.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I envy the rain count in the LA area, it wasn't much here yesterday.  (Haven't installed the rain guage yet.)  Overnight low was 56F, cloudy.

Terry, I hope your 'bold' prediction is correct!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Yes the rainfall from yesterday’s storm over LA County was gratefully received in the bone-dry earth.  In-fact just like the last storm all the rain soaked into the soil without puddles  :P

Remember the last big storm dumped several inches of rain over San Diego County [esp northern areas like Oceanside] since the system moved up from Baja.  Yesterday's storm moved down the coast from the north [normally northern storms don't provide much rainfall for SoCal but the storm stalled coming around Pt. Conception and sat over the Basin for several hours.

Our big rains in SoCal have a tropical connection [Pineapple Express] that unloads abundant moisture.  Let's hope we get a few of those storms this winter  :P

Lo: 52F

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

52 last night. Weather.com has me warming up this fri night to 34,up from 31 which it showed on monday. Let's hope it keeps going up.

San Marcos CA

more rain would be good.i heard on the radio that we are only slightly below our "normal" rainfall so far.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

(MattyB @ Dec. 20 2007,12:45)

34mm?  What is that like a foot...I don't know....come on Jack this is the SoCal thread you can use inches...

53F for a low last night.  We still have cloud cover this morning.  I thought it was gonna be clear and cold.  This is great though staying in the 50's.

Bill, on several occasions I've noticed plants that I've dug up performing better in black pots getting heated up by the sun than their counter parts that got put directly into the ground.  This leads me to believe that if you have to dig up something in the colder months then put it in a black pot and let it bake in the sun until spring.

Matt,

300 mm is a foot.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

(pohonkelapa @ Dec. 20 2007,15:04)

more rain would be good.i heard on the radio that we are only slightly below our "normal" rainfall so far.

Well, the worker guy type people moved around 3 windows today, so I am not quite as weatherproof in the house as I was recently.    This shall ensure continued rainfall until I am able to get more stucco around the windows.

Glad I can help everybody out.   ???

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 20 2007,17:37)

(pohonkelapa @ Dec. 20 2007,15:04)

Well, the worker guy type people moved around 3 windows today, so I am not quite as weatherproof in the house as I was recently.    This shall ensure continued rainfall until I am able to get more stucco around the windows.

Glad I can help everybody out.   ???

Thank you so much for that, Bill!  Got a good drenching between 9:30 and 10:00 last night.  Keep up the good work!

Low this morning 44.4 under mostly clear, starry skies.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

43F and damp out here. Afraid to go look at "water incursion".........

39F, and I got a rogue shower early in the morning.

Tomorrow mornings forecast is 32F, with 22mph winds from the ENE, translating into 19F windchill temp.

How alarming should that be regarding palms?

35F. Tonight is forcast to 28F

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

45.3F exactly on both sensors.  .16" of rain and it occured in about an hour then stopped.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

49F here due to quite strong winds overnight [watched the temperature jump up & down all night  :o

There is another cold airmass over California but wind should be a major factor in mixing the night temperatures.

freakypalmguy

NWS-SD 7-day for Temucula 12-21-07 200h

TEMECULA  

Today:  SUNNY  60

Saturday:  SUNNY  35/66

Sunday:  SUNNY  35/67

Monday:  SUNNY   39/66

Tuesday: SUNNY   39/64

Wednesday: PTCLDY  36/60

Thursday:  SUNNY  39/61        

Are you in a low basin/canyon?

Looks like December will remain cooler than normal w/ the remote possiblity of showers.  Not the best weather for palms  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

The temp. in Walnut Creek fell to 31F this morning before daylight, and it was at or below freezing for about 6 hours. There was the whitest frost of the season, but there was a lot of moisture left from the rain two days ago. It never really warmed up today, so I expect tonight will be even colder. I'm throwing a sheet over my Parajubaea T V T tonight. It was pretty badly burned by 23F last winter, and now it looks so nice. It was covered with frost this morning, but looks fine.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Last night's low here was 40F. Today's high was only 55F. Forecast for tonight is between 32F and 38F depending on the weather forecast source.

One interesting note: I have two 20 gallon bottle palms. One is in my living room for the winter and the other one has been outside on a south facing wall. Since Dec. 5 the spear on the one inside grew 0.5" while the one outside in the cool to chilly weather has put on a full inch of growth in the same period.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Jim

Soil temps likely cool down slower then the air, right?  ???

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Dec. 21 2007,18:04)

Jim

Soil temps likely cool down slower then the air, right?  ???

My soil temps have remained fairly constant over the last month with soil temps in the mid 50s except 60s in the warmest part of my yard. The potted bottle palm's soil cools rapidly at night but warms nicely during the day if there's plenty of sun.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

It hit 29.7 and is at 29.9 now. A nearby birdbath's water is frozen a good 1/8" thick.

I pulled everything movable into the garage at midnight because it was 34. Definitely got frost on the lawn. Nothing real tender in the ground thanks to last year's freeze.

Can anyone beat 25.8 last night.

The coldest December night that I can remember!!

SO MUCH FOR GLOBAL WARMING. :(

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

34F lastnight/this morning.  :(   I will add an interesting note, at about 10 pm or later I went out to pull in a couple palms.  When I walked by my indoor remote monitor, my cold spot showed 41.7F , it was fairly still out. I was only out for 3-4 mins max, but the wind kicked up while I was out there, when I came back, I glanced at the monitor again and it was at 43.2F!!!   (I was nowhere near the monitor) Yep, I like breezes at night!!  :)

36F right now.

Not surprisingly, the NWS has computer problems but you can locate your location/temp here

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/mwmap.php?map=la

It is really cold in places [sorry that includes some member's gardens  :o NWS underestimated impact of cold air but, as always, it is entirely location

NWS-LA 12-22-07 700H

SAN DIEGO 42                  

NORTH ISLAND 45                

CAMP PENDLETON  29                  

OCEANSIDE AP 34                  

CARLSBAD 41                  

DEL MAR 45                

VALLEY CENTER  45  

N. ESCONDIDO 41            

RANCHO BERNARDO 45  

POWAY 34      

RAMONA 48  

HUNTINGTON BEACH 38  

FULLERTON AP   38  

L.A. AIRPORT 47  

L.A. DOWNTOWN 39            

BURBANK 36              

VAN NUYS 48

MALIBU 53  

CORONA 44  

CHINO 32  

SAN BERNARDINO 45  

MURRIETA 42  

TEMECULA 35          

Temp remained above 50F/10c until 2 hours before sunrise; minimum so far is 46F/7.7c

Hey, this has been a shitty month: cool days/cold nights so early.  Northern Hemisphere winter solstice was yesterday  :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Dec. 22 2007,07:45)

It is really cold in places [sorry that includes some member's gardens  :o NWS underestimated impact of cold air but, as always, it is entirely location

NWS-LA 12-22-07 700H

VALLEY CENTER  45  

N. ESCONDIDO 41            

RANCHO BERNARDO 45  

RAMONA 48  

MALIBU 53  

MURRIETA 42  

Temp remained above 50F/10c until 2 hours before sunrise; minimum so far is 46F/7.7c

Some how, these numbers don't look accurate, I wonder how often they check their accuracy.

I think especially the Ramona one

Official report from laHoagie is that the low in El Sereno was above 6C (43F), and happened sometime around 3AM...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

In Riverside I hit 34... much better than the 29 that was forecast...  wind held up around here until today.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Ah... Wind. That would have been nice.

33 last night, and tonight lookin about the same.36 in the best part of my yard. My only solace is at least December almost over.

San Marcos CA

(BS, Man about Palms @ Dec. 22 2007,10:51)

(happ @ Dec. 22 2007,07:45)

NWS-LA 12-22-07 700H

VALLEY CENTER  45  

N. ESCONDIDO 41            

RANCHO BERNARDO 45  

RAMONA 48  

MALIBU 53  

MURRIETA 42  

Some how, these numbers don't look accurate, I wonder how often they check their accuracy.

I think especially the Ramona one

Bill

I was also surprised by the data coming out of Ramona until I looked closer.  Take a look at this link.  The temp jumped from 35F at 11PM to 45F after midnight when the wind started  :o

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowes....ner=off

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Thanks for the link, Happ.

Got down to 34F up here last night. Forecast for tonight is 39F. No visible frost in my yard yet this season. High today was only 55F. Tomorrow's expected high is 60F.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Actually turned out to be a nice day w/ low 70s in places & more to come Sunday.

NWS is forecasting widespread 40's & above freezing in usual high risk domains.  :o  keep in mind last night's forecast was for above 32F/0c coastal/low desert yet some got stung  :(  

Week ahead looks dry/sunny & staying chilly day/nights  :(

LA: 68F/20c

46F/7.2c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Love that breeze. above 40F all night here.