IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern California

MattyB

38F it is.

Cristóbal - Now you know why I'll never try coconuts like you.

This year continues to be unfairly cold. I think the mean air temp has been 5-10F below average since early November. My historic average low for today is 48F.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Mar. 06 2008,10:45)

38F it is.

Cristóbal - Now you know why I'll never try coconuts like you.

This year continues to be unfairly cold. I think the mean air temp has been 5-10F below average since early November. My historic average low for today is 48F.

Wish I could cheer you up Terry  :( it was a colder than normal winter /La Nina-consistent though rainfall was fantastic while it lasted.  Day temps were 2-5 degrees F below normal but minimums were only 1-2 F below normal up in LA

Overall I suppose this thread has come to an end

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Mar. 06 2008,18:18)

Overall I suppose this thread has come to an end

NO  Not till Oceanside STAYS at 45F overnight :D

(Now, is that for Terry or me?  :)  )

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Come on you guys! It's March, spring is in the air. Start planting some palms. :D  Or move to Florida, you now have a choice!

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

38F low again, but 51F at 8am.

50F last night.  This thread is over and the pink crownshaft is in the ground! :cool:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Soooooo,

Should a new thread for California weather be started when Spring officially arrives? Then we can bitch about how hot and dry it is. I've had enough of this chilly winter. Another low of 40F this morning, but I think the worst is over. (I hope).

Dick

Richard Douglas

Man, this is a rough stretch for you guys in Oceanside...

12C (54F) for my low this morning.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

You can tell when I get cloud cover/marine layer, and Terry doesn't.  46F for me this morn.

The thread ain't over till Terry says its over!!!!

I have to say, the last few weeks have brought more sunburn than I ever had bring a palm from a greenhouse.  Cool and dry and sunny, plants are real slow to uptake moisture yet.   :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

If anyone remembers, I said it was over last week, and to shut the thread down. Since then I've had 4 days below 40F, and three weren't forecast.

Someone else say it's over and start a Spring thread. If I say it's over, that birdbath will be frozen again.

Generally by March winter cold is over but that doesn't necessarily mean warmth.  Difference in temps from Feb to March is only 1-3 F.  More sunshine helps & frost is rare.  April & May are very pleasant inland from the ocean [75-80 day / 55-60 night] w/ overcast mornings/hazy afternoons.

I don't know if there is enough to write about once spring is fully established  ???  BTW - there are signals of possible cold storms in the 7-10 day outlook.

Delightful today: 81f /27.2c

54f / 12.2c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Humm,

Maybe the fat lady hasn't sung yet. 46 F in Walnut Creek at 5 AM and an expected high today of 70F. No frost here in over two weeks. We could use some rain as it's getting dry here again.

Dick

Richard Douglas

44F here now, I bet Terry's in the 30's again.

42F here, and it's possible I hadn't reset my thermometer yesterday. It was probably 40-42F.

I'm running my irrigation for the first time in 2008 right now. Last Saturday was the first time I've watered the potted items.

Matty started this thread, so I think he should end it.

• 2 weeks later...

Did someone not kill this thread?  How come it hit 37F at my place!!!

The winter that wouldn't die. 36F on March 17.

I'm sure it was 35F (or lower) at the Oceanside Airport, and a easily new record for the date.

32F with frost at my place.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

43F at my place, it was chillyyy willyyyy.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Brief dip to 10C (50F) just after midnight, but it was above 12C (54F) most of the night at my place.

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jack & Happ are in some sizzlin' microclimates!  Awesome!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

A balmy 38F this morning....

Okay I can't hold my tongue any longer! :P

When I first came on this board about 2 years  ago, and started disscussing California winter weather,(frost,humdity,rain)you guys told me it never really gets that cold in southern California. That  some needed to worry about the  cold temps,while  for others  it was a NON factor.

Well since then all you guys have talked about is HOW COLD it  is, and has been there. :laugh: :D  

I feel for you guys 32F, 36F, 38F,and heavy FROST in mid March is not GOOD! Hang in there it is going to get warmer SOMETIME (maybe)! Must be hard to decide which thread to post in the winter thread, or Terry's new  offical spring thread? :D

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

35.8F and very light frost on the wifes, I mean ranch hands hoopdee.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt - I don't know what the ranch hand's "hoopdee" is (and maybe I don't want to know!), but I was barely warmer than you this morning at 36.3F. No frost though.

I really hope this was my last thirtysomething post until next December.

I was actually colder this morning @ 42.2F.  Hmmmmm....a very still night with no wind is probably why.  Put more flowers (Ranunculas, African Violets, Snapdragons) in yesterday.  Also planted a Nectarine!  I'm getting quite a fruit orchard going now.  I've gotta figure out how to get rid of the squirrels though.  They know that we have dogs and have steered clear for the most part.  But if there's fruit available I know they'll be back.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Squirrels are infectious as leprosy.Throw in free fruit and you have major trouble.The more fruit,the more squirrels.Then the Squirrels get brave and begin to understand strength in numbers.They begin to show their teeth to the Dogs and next they bite and freely attack.Ward this off by heavy use of Napalm even if the neighbors laugh. It could be them next.

What you look for is what is looking

Good luck with the squirrels, Matty.  I live in a protected habitat of native walnut trees loaded with squirrels.  There's absolutely nothing one can do about it since the trees [many infested with termites] cannot be removed & California law protects the squirrels.  I keep fruit trees [cheremoya /guava /java apple] in pots and semi-protected from the squirrels.  Just hope they don't eat too much of the fruit [but then there are tree rats to contend with  :o

49f /9.4c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Dirty rats!  At least we have tons of Hawks and Owls.  Our west facing canyon funnles up the prevailing sea breeze into great updrafts (I get uphill rain too) and the birds of prey are in abundance over our yard on any given day.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I'm surprised by the surprise of some Florida posters.  For example Janurary average temps are essentially the same in Los Angeles and for example: Titusville/Daytona Beach/Orlando [all 4 cities near 70f or cooler during the day & upper 40's/low 50's at night].

Latitude:

Los Angeles 34N

Titusville 28N

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Uh that is January happ, this is the middle of MARCH! I never said it didn't get cold here on occassion in December and January,sometimes even a brief cold spell in Febuary.

But if you do those same calculations for Febuary and March,I think the numbers will diverge rapidly! Well maybe not in your Zone 11 yard :;):  :D

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

I am dropping to 54/55 at night. Inside of house is not dropping below 60.

I, too, have squirrels, skunk, raccoon, snakes, deer and wild tourists from the tour buses.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

(gsn @ Mar. 18 2008,15:13)

Uh that is January happ, this is the middle of MARCH! I never said it didn't get cold here on occassion in December and January,sometimes even a brief cold spell in Febuary.

But if you do those same calculations for Febuary and March,I think the numbers will diverge rapidly! Well maybe not in your Zone 11 yard :;):  :D

Yeah, big difference:

Jan: Los Angeles: 68/48 – Titusville: 69/47

Mar: Los Angeles: 70/52 - Titusville:  76/54

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Truth stated, California has a standard Mediterranean Climate,that is outstanding but by no means out of the ordinary.Los Angeles,Ca at 34.05 N.has reported a low minimum temperature of -5c/23F. Other similar Mediterranean Climates lowest minimums as follows:

Tripoli,Libya/34.31--1c/30.2F

Auckland,New Zealand/36.52--.6c/31F

Lisbon,Portugal/38.42--2.8c/27F

Faro,Portugal/37.02--1.2c/30F

Cape Town,South Africa/33.55-1.4c/34.5F

Port Elizabeth,South Africa/33.58--.5c/31.1F

Malaga,Spain/36.43--.9c/30.3F.

Monte Carlo/43.46--2.3c/27F

Valletta,Malta/35.54--1.1c/30F

Naples,Italy/40.5--5c/23F.

The Mediterranean Climate of California is much cooler year round compared to Cental Florida south to Southern Florida.Even the Newport Beach Coconut is relatively mundane in view of the non-stunted Coconuts growing at a higher latitude at Port Elizabeth,SA.at33.58S together with the stunted non-planted coconuts growing at 35 S in New Zealand.It is a comparison of a Carribean Tropical Savannah Climate to a Mediterranean,which is simply much cooler.Perhaps easier to live in but no comparison when it comes to growing Tropicals.For that matter,it can even get cold in your area in the Baja,where a low of-.6c/31F was recorded at La Paz,Mexico at 24.1N

California mediterranean climate is much warmer than european mediterranean climate !!!

especially in winter  :P

Climate zone : 8b/9a

January average temperature : 41°F/5°C

July average temperature : 80°F/27°C

Tony, No doubt that many European Med Climates would be cooler than So.Cal.given the difference in Latitude(34 vs 40).However,for growing Tropicals and Palms Australia and Florida in a different League.

Tony, No doubt that many European Med Climates would be cooler than So.Cal.given the difference in Latitude(34 vs 40).However,for growing Tropicals and Palms Australia and Florida are in a different League.