IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December weather thread

ruskinPalms

Bill-

Not far behind you......46.8F at 8PM with calm air.  Hopefully the winds will pick up a bit as this always raises the temperature where I am.

If the wind doesnt pick up though, some areas are going to get spanked.  I already see readings on weatherunderground just to the north in Pasco county knocking on the door of 30's.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

hunker dow ya'll :)

bottomed out at 32.8 degrees on my meter early this morning.

Tonight is supposed to be a hard freeze around 25/26 degrees. 39 degrees currently on my meter at 8:09 PM looks like it will hit 32 around 12am.

brought the most tropical plants in but left the haridier stuff out. looks like winter is here and i will get my first freeze of the season.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Palm in Ice

Once the shock wears off the Ice Crystals are beautiful.   Then the shock returns.  I have to keep telling myself 12 more weeks, 12 more weeks, 12 more weeks, and winter will again be gone.

DSC01104.JPG

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The INFAMOUS weathermen, and their MODELS, are predicting it will be warmer tonight than it was last night! ???

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

(keiththibodeaux @ Dec. 17 2007,20:11)

Palm in Ice

Once the shock wears off the Ice Crystals are beautiful.   Then the shock returns.  I have to keep telling myself 12 more weeks, 12 more weeks, 12 more weeks, and winter will again be gone.

DSC01104.JPG

Keith, that is a disturbingly beautiful picture. I hope I don't see the same sight on my Thrinax radiata tomorrow morning. 41.7F now, drop has slowed but it is only 9:00pm...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

You are lower than I was at this time last night, so cross your fingers for some wind, or some clouds, or something.  Otherwise, you might looks like this one, which is even more scary.  In the words of my Rangoon Creeper, pictured here, "I'm melting."

DSC01108.JPG

DSC01106.JPG

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

(gsn @ Dec. 17 2007,20:18)

The INFAMOUS weathermen, and their MODELS, are predicting it will be warmer tonight than it was last night! ???

Yes...I saw that.  The forecast low for Tarpon Springs is 42-43F (weather.com and NWS).

But, unless something changes soon, that will doubtful be the case in my yard!  Its already 43.5F at a little before 10PM.

Larry 

Larry,

Mind you they MIGHT be RIGHT , flip a coin, they have a 50/50 chance! :laugh:

But usually when a front comes through here in the  morning or mid day ,like yesterday. The second night after it pushes through is usually colder than the first night. Especially it being radiational in nature,with no cloud cover,and lighter winds!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Absolutely Scott...night 2 always seems to be colder especially when the daytime heating is minimal (as it was today).

Tonight the skies are crystal clear over here and winds are pretty much non-existent.  Perhaps the winds will rise to the 8-10 mph predicted :D

Although I would prefer them to rise, the dewpoints seem to be holding steady around 30F.

Larry 

heres to hoping your weathermen are better than ours, predicted 42 2 nights ago and I got 38!  wind was up so no frost, last night we got down no lower than 43 yet I swear I saw a tiny bit of frost in a ditch or 2....  I dont know how as I never saw a reading in the 30's.... yeah yeah I know stratification!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

Hi,

We have still get the cold! last night i have got a minium of -2,6/27.3F ...The daytempeture's are around the 2-4C/35.6-39.2F Tooooo collldddd for me!!

It's gonna look like, the cold is during to the end of the week and then richt before x-mas it's looks like too warm up, but then the wind is coming true... But before we going to warm up some little, it looks like the cold periode going to be ended with 2 very cold night's! I hope it will changing!

Robbin

Southwest

(galveston1602 @ Dec. 18 2007,00:40)

heres to hoping your weathermen are better than ours, predicted 42 2 nights ago and I got 38!  wind was up so no frost, last night we got down no lower than 43 yet I swear I saw a tiny bit of frost in a ditch or 2....  I dont know how as I never saw a reading in the 30's.... yeah yeah I know stratification!

Looks like they were right over here for once.  At 615AM, its 42F as temps have pretty much held steady all night.

Larry 

A nice breeze here at the Flatts, and at 0620 it's at 48.8, and a bit warmer back by the ponds where the tender stuff is planted.

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

It was forecast to drop to about 27 here last night, but it didn't get that low. I think the "official" temp at the airport (over 10 miles east of me) was 32F...It only got to 36 here. Dodged another bullet.

"You can't see California without Marlon Brando's eyes"---SliPknot

40.5F for a low this morning. I guess some moisture moved back in to save the day. It was perfectly clear with little to no wind last night, I'm not sure how we didn't go much lower. Maybe the Gulf and Atlantic are still warm enough to pretty quickly modify the cold air, even at night.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Same here Bill (41.0F).

The winds, albeit light, picked up through the night and this is what kept the temps steady.  Just a few mph of winds here and there makes a large difference.

Larry 

Circa 10:01AM-Palm Beach-68F.,overcast with breaks of sun,mountains on the Stream,people in overcoats.

What you look for is what is looking

Today i have got a maximum tempeture of + 0,9C/33.6F.... There are some places in the Netherlands the whole day the tempeture stay under freezing level.

Now already frost again.... i hate winter and it's even started already :(

Robbin

Southwest

Larry,

They did get it right for a change! :laugh: However they missed Sunday night by 4 degrees,predicted 42F  it was 38.4F

43.2F over here in Titusville!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Another similar cold front is on the way for Christmas morning.  I wonder why Christmas morning cold fronts make me nervous?!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

So far Ray, it does not look to be as potent as this last front. Weather.com forcast for my zip heading through Christmas:

post-228-1198012246_thumb.jpg

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bill,

The old reliable GFS model shows 42F for Christmas morning followed by 47F on Wednesday.  Accuweather is saying the same thing.  I wish it weren't true.  Maybe it will not come to fruition as it is still a week out.

Ray

Here's the GFS data

KTPA   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE  12/18/2007  1200 UTC                    

Temp |WED 19th- 52  74|THU 20th- 55  73|FRI 21st- 61  77| SAT 22nd- 60  79|SUN 23rd- 62  75|MON 24th-52  63|TUE 25th- 42  64|WED 26th- 47  66

Accuweather 15 day for Tampa

In my mind (jaded as it may be), unless one has a bunch of Lipsticks in the ground, it doesnt seem worth getting riled up unless the forecasts are calling for something less than 35F.

Larry 

I would agree, the weather lately has spoiled us into getting concerned about temps well above freezing.

NW Hillsborough County, FL (Near Tampa)

10 miles east of the Gulf of Mexico

Border of Zone 9b/10a

Lakefront Microclimate

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 18 2007,21:54)

In my mind (jaded as it may be), unless one has a bunch of Lipsticks in the ground, it doesnt seem worth getting riled up unless the forecasts are calling for something less than 35F.

Larry,

I would tend to agree for the most part,except I might revise it up just a bit! I start getting a little nervous around the 38, 39 degree forecast mark.

As we both well know, they have missed  it on a number of occasions by 5 to 7 degrees on the  high side!! ???

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

I have a yard full of stuff that is not fond of temps below 45F so getting "riled" up is part of the plan every year.  I know it's my fault but it is worth it for 95% of the time.  Also remember guys, 42F forecasted for next week has a nasty tendency of becomming 35F as the week progresses.

8:13AM in Palm Beach-67F.,clear skies,surf flat ,Mountain on the Stream  gone,something is biting pretty good because tons of boats and pinkies on the Stream.It looks like the Stream soundly defeated the Artic blast rather quickly.

(gsn @ Dec. 18 2007,23:58)

(spockvr6 @ Dec. 18 2007,21:54)

Larry,

I would tend to agree for the most part,except I might revise it up just a bit! I start getting a little nervous around the 38, 39 degree forecast mark.

As we both well know, they have missed  it on a number of occasions by 5 to 7 degrees on the  high side!! ???

I used to be a big chicken!

But, as time has gone on, Ive seen that little gets damaged even in the middle 30's.  

And, as time has gone on, my yard has become somewhat self protecting in that there is so much stuff some natural protection has developed.  

I cannot get full shots of my yard anymore (too much of a jungle and no panorama lens), but this gives an idea.

Yard_119.jpg

Yard_112.jpg

Yard_138.jpg

Yard-1.jpg

Larry 

Yesterdays lows---

Larrys Yard Tarpon Springs- 41F

Jacksonville - 29F

Tampa - 43F

Clearwater - 46F

St. Petersburg - 50F

Orlando - 45F

West Palm - 47F

Miami - 54F

Key West - 62F

Larry 

Nice garden Larry.  That Pritchardia is the longest running annual I've ever seen LOL.  

47F in Palm beach?  Wow, that's only 4 degrees warmer than me.  I guess I should have gone fishing too.

Ray-

This annual is coming up on three years now.  So far...so good.  Its seen down to 34F several times and hasnt been affected growth-wise (but the lowest leaves get brown at that temp).

Larry 

Larry, great jungle growth you got there!

I breezed through the night before last with a low on 12/18 of 34.4 degrees, i had this temp at around 1 am and then temps leveled out, i guess i had a warm cloud blanket or some southerly breeze.

still frost free in my yard. bananas and cannas holding out

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Larry,Great selection of tropicals grown(very well) in a more Northern area than one would expect. Ray brought up an interesting point and in reviewing temp's it looks like St. Pete is warmer than West Palm.Is this possible?By the way,I would take 74/47 all year.Can you say Medellin?

(bubba @ Dec. 19 2007,11:31)

Ray brought up an interesting point and in reviewing temp's it looks like St. Pete is warmer than West Palm.Is this possible?

I think if one looks at the best part of St. Pete (i.e. near downtown and the Gulf and Bayside areas) then St. Pete is likely warmer (with regard to night time lows) than much of the Palm Beach area that is not immediately near the water.   Thats the catch with looking at the weather data as the St. Pete station is on the Bay, while the WPB data is taken at the airport (which I believe is 3-4 miles inland)?

A year or two ago I actually averaged out the record lows for all the days in December/January/February and found that the St. Pete average value was within a few tenths of Ft. Lauderdale! Both were 36F and some change.

However, this data also shows that when the history making Arctic blasts come through, then Ft. Laud and Palm Beach are warmer (according to the absolute lows ever recorded (28F for Ft. Laud, 27F for WPB and 22F for St. Pete)).

Up here in the northern reaches of Pinellas county, the record value is 19F!

Larry 

Larry, wow, all that watering really paid off. Things are huge since I last saw pictures. Looks great.

Do your neighbors think you are a little unusual? Let's face it you yard is not quite typical of the rest of the group. :D

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Larry,

There's obviously no home owner's association right?  I hate most of those those organizations.

Ray