IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December weather thread

ruskinPalms

Jon,I have been growing a lipstick since 2003.It suffered damage from our Hurricanes but has never been effected by cold.Out of nowhere,I believe a Royal pup has volunteered right in the middle.

What you look for is what is looking

more rain last night(0.2 inch), making it 2.8 inches since friday, everything is enjoying the water and the moisture keeps the overnight lows up( 47F for a low last night).  My butias are still pushing spears and not so slowly.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

(syersj @ Dec. 11 2007,11:39)

(steve 9atx @ Dec. 11 2007,10:13)

Wow, Ken.  I too am pretty sensitive to sun angles as real low ones (like in AK this summer) have a depressive effect on me.  But, you've got me beat by a mile.

Speaking of that cold front yesterday when you had 40F in Austin: it made it to within five miles of my house and then stopped.  It was the damndest thing.  When I left for work yesterday the car thermometer said 68F.  On the radio, I heard it was 51F in Bellaire, a town just southwest of me, 10 minutes away.  After that, it clouded up and started raining as the cold front stopped in its tracks and turned around the other direction as a warm front.  More power to the Gulf!

Steve

I felt the exact second that front went thru, it went from calm to instantly windy, north winds and dropping temps.

Last night it turned around and went back through as a warm front.  At around midnight is was about 53F, then around 8 am it was up to 72F, temps rose dramatically all night.

Tuesday in Austin felt just like I was back in FL--warm, humid, fast-moving clouds streaming in from the Gulf. Out in shorts all day.

Training a guy from Yuba City, CA who's never been out of CA before. He's used to trimming trees in Sierra foothills. He was complaining how "hot and humid" it was yesterday! Guess he won't be working for us in FL next Summer...

Haven't stepped outside yet this morning, but I'm sure I'll need my Carhartt. Back to highs in the upper 40s like Monday. Brrr... :(

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Circa 8:30 AM in Palm Beach temp.77F.,surf a bit choppy,beachgoers out, pinkies on the stream.

(fastfeat @ Dec. 12 2007,05:42)

Wow, Ken.  I too am pretty sensitive to sun angles as real low ones (like in AK this summer) have a depressive effect on me.  But, you've got me beat by a mile.

Speaking of that cold front yesterday when you had 40F in Austin: it made it to within five miles of my house and then stopped.  It was the damndest thing.  When I left for work yesterday the car thermometer said 68F.  On the radio, I heard it was 51F in Bellaire, a town just southwest of me, 10 minutes away.  After that, it clouded up and started raining as the cold front stopped in its tracks and turned around the other direction as a warm front.  More power to the Gulf!

Steve

I felt the exact second that front went thru, it went from calm to instantly windy, north winds and dropping temps.

Last night it turned around and went back through as a warm front.  At around midnight is was about 53F, then around 8 am it was up to 72F, temps rose dramatically all night.

Tuesday in Austin felt just like I was back in FL--warm, humid, fast-moving clouds streaming in from the Gulf. Out in shorts all day.

Training a guy from Yuba City, CA who's never been out of CA before. He's used to trimming trees in Sierra foothills. He was complaining how "hot and humid" it was yesterday! Guess he won't be working for us in FL next Summer...

Haven't stepped outside yet this morning, but I'm sure I'll need my Carhartt. Back to highs in the upper 40s like Monday. Brrr... :(

If he thinks that was humid, he needs to visit in May, June, July, Aug, Sep, or Oct.  98F with high humidity is just slightly warmer.

Another cool down today, rebounding slightly into 60s tomorrow.  Will be a roller coaster the next 2 months with a mixture of warm/hot days and cool/cold days.  Still no freezes yet though.

(syersj @ Dec. 12 2007,10:06)

(fastfeat @ Dec. 12 2007,05:42)

Steve

If he thinks that was humid, he needs to visit in May, June, July, Aug, Sep, or Oct.  98F with high humidity is just slightly warmer.

Another cool down today, rebounding slightly into 60s tomorrow.  Will be a roller coaster the next 2 months with a mixture of warm/hot days and cool/cold days.  Still no freezes yet though.

By the time we got done with a meeting (11:00 AM), steady rain and 43F temps, decided to call it a day w/o any field work. Figured I wouldn't get my boots dry in time to start again tomorrow morning. Starting the day with cold, wet boots sucks...

Hoping for a little warmth Thurs...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Actually a chance for rain this weekend before the cold arrives for early next week. Looking at some nights in the mid 40's and even a day where the high is not supposed to get above 70. Ughh...winter is almost here again. Hopefully this cold won't last too long.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

It will not last long Bill.  I'll take the cooler temps if we'll actually get some rain from the front.  The NWS has actually done well with long range forecasting this year (hurricanes aside).  We're supposed to be well above normal for Christmas week.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

8:09AM in Palm Beach the temp.is 77F.,surf choppy,beachgoers out,puffies on the stream.

dropped to the low for the year, 35.7F this morning, brrrr!  Warming up to 64 F today sunny and clear, but possibly down to 33F tonight, glad my veitchia is inside.  After than awarming trend is predicted with lows in the low 40's as the sun from the clear skies continues to warm the earth.

Tom Blank

A freeze warning (30) was issued today for South Louisiana (zone 9a) for Sunday night.   Low for Saturday night project ed for 37 as well, with rain.  Thing Monday night for 40.  Gonna be one of those cold wet weekends.  YUCK!

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

8:07AM in Palm Beach temp. 81F.,humid, cloudy with steamy sun,surf choppy,South wind.Seems Artic blast is sure to come!

Not really too much to report from the southern equatorial zone.  Except that the rainy season has really begun in earnest.  We had a tremendous rain storm early AM yesterday and it rained a lot of the day.  The temperature stayed low.  It is overcast and cool today.

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2007.12.14 1400 UTC

Wind from the ESE (120 degrees) at 6 MPH (5 KT)

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Temperature 82 F (28 C)

Dew Point 69 F (21 C)

Relative Humidity 65%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.88 in. Hg (1012 hPa)

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Looks like a good  chance of rain coming up for Saturday and into Saturday night. Only problem with good chances of rain this time of year means that it is usually associated with a fairly strong cold front. Supposed to spend a couple nights down around 45F and a couple of days in the mid to upper 60s after the passage of the front. Then back into the 50s/70s where we should be at this time of year. I will miss the 60s/80s though :(

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Actually, this is not going to be too cold of a front. On the west coast, you have to get well north of Citrus county before freezing temps become a threat with this one. Probably, this front is being moderated by the warm for this time of year gulf waters. Could have been a lot colder had we had a cooler fall which would have left the gulf a lot cooler and made it less protecting.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(amazondk @ Dec. 14 2007,09:43)

Not really too much to report from the southern equatorial zone.  Except that the rainy season has really begun in earnest.  We had a tremendous rain storm early AM yesterday and it rained a lot of the day.  The temperature stayed low.  It is overcast and cool today.

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2007.12.14 1400 UTC

Wind from the ESE (120 degrees) at 6 MPH (5 KT)

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Temperature 82 F (28 C)

Dew Point 69 F (21 C)

Relative Humidity 65%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.88 in. Hg (1012 hPa)

dk

Don, the rainy season is from what month to what month, and how many inches of rain would you typically get during that period?

Keith

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Some parts is already freezing for some while of the Netherlands... the darker place, there is it freezing like crazy al for a couple nights...

I have got here only 2 little frost night for a couple hours, and now i still above freezing level...

Robbin

Southwest

Keith,

Here is the annual averages for Manaus (the temperatures are in Celsius).  As you can see we do have a fairly marked dry season which for the most part is normal for Amazonia.  In some areas it is of greater duration  with less rain.  In others it is wetter with less of a variation.  The temperatures are the official readings at the airport which is surrounded with green areas.  In the city the temperature in the hottest months will get to 105 F during the day.  We have very little variation in night time lows.  I think the all time low ever was 58 F.

WeatheraveragesMAO.jpg

This graph really shows the variations in percipitation and lack of variation in temperature. The temperatures in the graph are Celsius.  Sometimes I think I really should not post our climate data as it is little relevance to most.  And, it does not change for the most part.  The sky is real heavy with moisture today and it probably rain in the afternoon.

AveragesgraphMAO.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

NWS has me forcast for 38F for Sunday night and Monday night. I would not be surprised to see them bump Monday night down a few degrees if the winds calm down and skies are clear. May see my first frost of the season. No plans to protect anything though.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

I am glued to the computer screen  from both the ADAS temperature map and Ron Paul graphs  :P

I am forecast to get down to 44 F tonight.

Brevard County, Fl

And the pendulum continues! Between Fri night and Sat/Sun overnight, we received an incredible 3.8", and the tornado touched down only a few miles east of me. It was like a tropical storm for about 10 mins. Sat was 83F w/dewepoint in the low 70's. By Mon AM we are expecting low 40's with dewpoints in the 20's. That was after 7 weeks without a drop! Hope those cold fronts just don't barrel thru, just glance us! Greg In New Port Richey

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Supposed to get down to 30 tonight.  No big deal to me since all my stuff is hardy.  Also supposed to warm into the mid 70s all week starting Tuesday which will be a little above the norm of mid 60s for this time of year.

Tonight

Dec 16  Clear 30°

Mon

Dec 17  Mostly Sunny 62°/50°

Tue

Dec 18  AM Clouds / PM Sun 72°/53°

Wed

Dec 19  Isolated T-Storms 75°/53°

Thu

Dec 20  Sunny 73°/47°

Fri

Dec 21  Partly Cloudy 75°/57°

Sat

Dec 22  Few Showers 77°/40°

Sun

Dec 23  Sunny 63°/44°

Mon

Dec 24  Sunny 68°/47°

Tue

Dec 25  Mostly Sunny 70°/50°

Was expecting 26 here in Austin last night, cold enough to melt any remaining bananas and give a good hit to the few young queen palms I've seen around town, but it's only 32 at 5 AM, so I doubt it'll get that low. Rest of the week looks warmer.

_____

The temperature just started increasing here.  It bottomed out at 34.2 last night.  It was too windy for any frost last night.  Tonight will be the first real test.  The forecast has been updated to 33, with patchy frost as the wind will subside.  I may break out a few sheets just in case.

A definition changing event!!!

It wasn't the temperature, which bottomed out at 32.0, it was the frost.  This morning we have the worst frost we have had here since we bought the place 5 years ago.  It is safe to call this one a "killing frost" including many things that I thought were in protected microclimates.  My definition of microclimate here is changed forever.  Even the Southside of the roof was as heavy with frost as the Northside of the roof.   I supposed winter is now here in earnest.  

I think I am going to need more anti-depressants.

It bottomed at 40.6F at my house in Tarpon Springs this AM.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(keiththibodeaux @ Dec. 17 2007,07:59)

A definition changing event!!!

It wasn't the temperature, which bottomed out at 32.0, it was the frost.  This morning we have the worst frost we have had here since we bought the place 5 years ago.  It is safe to call this one a "killing frost" including many things that I thought were in protected microclimates.  My definition of microclimate here is changed forever.  Even the Southside of the roof was as heavy with frost as the Northside of the roof.   I supposed winter is now here in earnest.  

Bummer Keith.

I'll fast track you those seeds. Nothing raises the spirits like new seedlings coming up...

_____

Other readings----

Jacksonville - 30F

Tallahassee - 34F

Tampa AP - 39F

Clearwater AP - 42F

St. Petersburg - 44F

Orlando - 37F

Ft Myers - 44F

West Palm Beach - 48F

Key West - 64F

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Bottomed out at 30.1 here at my house in Natchez. 7 hours at or below freezing. It could have been worse. Lots of frost in exposed areas and on rooftops, etc. but plants under canopy (e.g., Heliconia) look okay so far. Dang...forgot to bring in one of my Licuala elegans!! It was under some canopy and near the house so have my fingers crossed, it looks fine right now. (This is an amazingly cool and cold-tolerant palm!) I think I'll be kissing the banana foliage goodbye for the most part, but lots of places in the region saw mid-to-upper 20s so I'm feeling lucky to still be (barely) having a 10a season so far!!!

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

(fastfeat @ Dec. 17 2007,05:51)

Was expecting 26 here in Austin last night, cold enough to melt any remaining bananas and give a good hit to the few young queen palms I've seen around town, but it's only 32 at 5 AM, so I doubt it'll get that low. Rest of the week looks warmer.

fastfeat, got into the upper 20s here and I am south of you.  Austin might have stayed warmer than us.  Good news is that it warmed up fast and is supposed to be warm (70s) all week after today.

I seriously doubt any queen palms were harmed, it didn't get cold enough.  It would need to get below 24-25F to start damaging queens, even small ones.  I have an 8-9 foot queen and I'm not expecting any damage at all.  The rest of my stuff is practically bullet proof, Washingtonia, CIDP and Butia, so I never worry about them.

I recorded a low of 38.4 here in Citrus Park.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

Sorry to read about the chill/frost.  Certain lowland/wind protected areas in SoCal dropped into the 30's all last week - warmer in metro regions.

This will be the second week in a row that temperatures will remain below normal but rainfall is forecast so nights may rise above 50F/10c for the first time since Dec 8th  :(  Last 2 days managed to reach above 70F/21c [70F is average max for Dec] but this week will stay in the 60's.  Only good news is the rainfall starting tomorrow [something we desperately need in California  :o

LA lo: 46F/7.7c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

weather underground recorded 33.7F low this morning at 8AM, 1 mile away.  My temp sensor in my heated shadehouse hit a low of 54F.  Prior to this 36F was the lowest so far this year.  Its 62F now and rising at 1PM AST.  Lows will be in the low 40's till friday, when it will move back down into the 30's.

Tom Blank

(keiththibodeaux @ Dec. 17 2007,07:59)

Keith,

You need to get in touch with Ray in Tampa,he has the good stuff!

Same here on the east coast as Scott in Citus park, 38.4 F!

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Last night's forecast was for a low of 34F.  The big airport bottomed out at 31F for about two hours.  Last night was the second night of the cold front (usually the coldest night).  On the second, radiational night I am usually almost as low as the forecast low.  Fortunately, I think I bottomed out at 35-36F.  Like the rest of you in TX/LA, we had a ton of frost, though.  For some reason I left my truck in the driveway last night and the windshield had a good buildup of ice on it this morning.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Hit 39.6F this morning. Already 43.7F tonight in my cold drain back yard at about 7:10 PM :(  I think frost is a very real concern for me tonight as there is not a cloud in the sky and not a bit of wind.... I know I have said this before already once this year, in more inland areas around Tampa, like where I live, people may be taken by surprise by a freak radiational freeze that goes well below the predicted 38F (at least for my spot).  Folks better also watch out in Orlando's suberbs tonight. I don't think the actual cities of Tampa or Orlando will have a bit to worry about though as thier customary respective domes of pollution will protect them a bit more than in outlying, inland suburbs.  Pinellas county should be in the clear as always due to all of that nice warm bay and gulf water surrounding it. At least central and southern Pinellas are in the clear. Northeast Pinellas county might just get a surprise spanking too. Sucks that I am probably going to wake up to damaged Adonidia and V. arecina tomorrow morning. They were doing so well...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B