IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December weather thread

ruskinPalms

I'll take wet cold over a dry cold in SoCal. My low is forecast as 34F Sunday. If that's as bad as it gets, nothing I have will suffer. Is that a 60% chance of rain next Friday also... What are the odds of getting rain storms 3 Fridays in a row here?

post-662-1196887902_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(bubba @ Dec. 05 2007,15:21)

Jimbeam,I am having some difficulty understanding your map.Specifically, I know our surf temp. at Palm Beach Inlet is 77F.What does your map depict air temp. or water temp.?

Bubba-

The map Jimbeam posted is from the NWS Melbourne office.  It depicts air temperature at I believe 10m.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

It's summer again.  4 days in the 80s coming up with a high on Saturday all the way to the mid 80s.  Let the planting begin

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The same thing for New Port Richey. TV reported 39F which is a small airport 1o miles inland from the city, rural area. Here in my yard it was 44F in back, 46.7F in front (big pine trees). Not a drop of rain. I cannot remember the last time we had rain, and the forecast for the next 7 days is a gradual warm up to 80-82F, lows near 60F and 0% COP. Luckily the short days and low sun angle make watering less frequent. So far LaNina is winning! Greg in NPR

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

71F. around 8:00AM in Palm Beach.Ocean perfectly flat,Beachgoers already out,fluffy clouds out on the Gulfstream,absolutely perfect.Not too hot,Highs in upper 70's to around 80.Perfect Palm and Golf weather.

Still don't understand that map .What time?

What you look for is what is looking

Palm Beach temp.78F.around 8:00AM.Ocean flat,beachgoers out,blue skies,pinkies on the Gulfstream.

Current conditions in Manaus.  It looks like winter is here.,

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2007.12.08 0000 UTC

Wind from the W (260 degrees) at 3 MPH (3 KT)

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Temperature 73 F (23 C)

Dew Point 71 F (22 C)

Relative Humidity 94%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.80 in. Hg (1009 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Temps topped out here today at 84.1.  And we have 80's projected for several more days.  Don't get me wrong, all of these warm temps are wonderful IF we have a mild winter, but this is how we get sucker punched down here.  Everything has tender new growth, nothing hardens off and then bam, the Arctic Express blows in.  The most famous of those was the freeze of 89, where temps dropped as much as 70 degrees overnight.   Not only were our landscapes changed forever (many very old established palms and other trees bit the dust), but even fish.   Millions of fish died in the shallow marshes of Louisiana's cost.  With the previous warm weather they had not moved to deeper safer waters.  I was an avid fisherman back then.  Took years for fish stocks to recover.  Gives me the willies just thinking about it.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

I chickened out. All my potted plants are now in the garage. My lows have me worried.

post-1261-1197077328_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Keith, We are going to have to add Louisiana on the High temp.review list.Iam loosing confidence in Weather Underground!

Not sure we are up for any warmest awards, but our climate is unique for sure, even more so here.  I live on something called the Teche Ridge that formed by the Mississippi River about 3000 years ago.  It is a narrow strip of high land.  A few miles to one side of me is Vermillion Bay and a few miles to the other is the Atchafalaya Basin.  This picture kind of says it all.  The red dot is home.  Actually I should have put that read dot just a few miles further south.

SoLa.JPG

70F at 6:30 AM here in Austin, on its way to 84F today. Putting on my shorts and sleeveless shirt today. Feels like I'm back in FL, though the humidity and sun angle are considerably lower than SoFla. Still, can't complain...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Tuesday-Wednesday looks like we hit bottom here in SoCal. Forecast is still for 34F as a low, but sometimes they get it wrong. My garage will look very tropical Monday night as well.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

:cool:  Texas/Louisiana/Florida have the best weather in the US [even Hawaii remains under a flood watch  :o  

Some very cold air has hit much of the nation w/ heavy snow in mts  :P

Unsettled wx in California [widely scattered showers/t-storms thru Sunday.  Cold northerly winds [barely 60F today w/ 40's overnight into next week  :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Rain again last night, 1" of the stuff.  I have a confused Bizzie that opened a spear that is half way out of the bud.  Significant rain two weekends in a row in AZ, must be 500:1 odds there.  Supposedly we will get cold this week, down to 37F by next wedsday.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Dropped from 80F to 48F in about 3.5 hours here in Austin yesterday! So used to major temp swings in FL accompanied by thunderstorms, but here it stayed dry.

Low of 39F this morning, on its way to upper 40s for a high today. Brrr...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

At circa 8:00AM in Palm Beach temp is 77F. A little more humid,beachgoers out,squal blew in off the stream earlier.Fairly clear now.

39F here this morn.  :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

29F and a light dusting of frost. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

No winter down here in So. Louisiana. yet, but I know its coming sooner or later.

10-Day Forecast

Today

Dec 10  PM Showers 83°/64° 30 %

Tue

Dec 11  Partly Cloudy 83°/65° 20 %

Wed

Dec 12  Mostly Cloudy 82°/60° 10 %

Thu

Dec 13  Few Showers 71°/54° 30 %

Fri

Dec 14  Few Showers 64°/55° 30 %

Sat

Dec 15  Few Showers 64°/44° 30 %

Sun

Dec 16  Mostly Sunny 68°/45° 20 %

Mon

Dec 17  Sunny 61°/42° 10 %

Tue

Dec 18  Partly Cloudy 64°/52° 10 %

Wed

Dec 19  Partly Cloudy 71°/52° 20 %

Ken

Are you sensitive enough to the difference between 30.30N and 26.68N to call the sun angle "considerably" lower?  Just curious.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Ohhhh, so this is where we're comparing temps.  Cool.  I was curious.

43F this morning.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Steve,

I don't know what my latitude is, but it's approx. the same as Richmond Virginia. The sun angle is extream here in N. Calif., and this time of the year I can almost detect a daily change. The mid day sun is very low on the horizon, and many of my palms are totally shaded now. In the summer time they would be getting full sun.

Dick

Richard Douglas

(fastfeat @ Dec. 10 2007,06:40)

Dropped from 80F to 48F in about 3.5 hours here in Austin yesterday! So used to major temp swings in FL accompanied by thunderstorms, but here it stayed dry.

Low of 39F this morning, on its way to upper 40s for a high today. Brrr...

fastfeat, I saw that front come thru yesterday around 6pm.  It dropped instantly from about 82 to about 60 in a matter of minutes...I hate cold fronts.

Supposed to be back up to 80 again tomorrow, then cool down again...

December so far at my place, these are mostly above normal temps for Dec, except for the lows on the 3rd and 4th...

H   L

1  76  66  

2  86  59  

3  66  38  

4  70  33

5  80  40  

6  76  47  

7  81  66  

8  82  70  

9  82  50

Avg H: 77.7, L: 52.1

(bubba @ Dec. 10 2007,08:19)

At circa 8:00AM in Palm Beach temp is 77F. A little more humid,beachgoers out,squal blew in off the stream earlier.Fairly clear now.

So, at 8AM you were warmer than Key West, Miami, and Honolulu, HI?  That must be one heck of a microclimate you've got there.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

Just another typical winter evening.  It kind of gets boring on the equator.  But, I like the rain.  Things grow well.

dk

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2007.12.11 0000 UTC

Wind from the NE (040 degrees) at 5 MPH (4 KT)

Visibility greater than 7 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Temperature 77 F (25 C)

Dew Point 69 F (21 C)

Relative Humidity 78%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.77 in. Hg (1008 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Warm here in the North..........North Florida that is...... supposed to be up near 80 F. for the next several days. Got a little greenhouse going and a space heater for when the inevitable happens. Need to take pictures.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Really, except for a little blip of cool weather in early November, it has been steadily warm in the mid 70s to mid 80s for highs and mid 50s to mid 60s for lows. This is actually pretty typical for central FL. Don't worry though; there is sure to be some more substantial cool to cold weather in January and February around here. There will likely be a freeze or 2 here this year before all is said and done. But, things will be looking up in about 2 months or so as we head back into spring.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

After a mild spell for the past couple of weeks, during which my Musa started growing again, it is currently -4°C/25°F.  We are due a cold spell now for the foreseeable future, but this morning is the only freeze forecast at the moment.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Neofolis,

Freezing? Here it's still above freezing level, at the end of the week we get some colder weather for the nights and also day's. But not that frost that you have got ...

Robbin

Southwest

Bill,

Bite your tongue on that one or two nights of freezing temps...LOL.  December has historically been the "killer" month around here.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

(steve 9atx @ Dec. 10 2007,14:23)

Ken

Are you sensitive enough to the difference between 30.30N and 26.68N to call the sun angle "considerably" lower?  Just curious.

Steve

Steve--

I'm outdoors, mostly surveying, for 8-10 hours a day. The sun angle of different latitudes is indeed, very noticeable to me. Even when back in SoFla, the difference in sun angle between Palm Beach Co and South Dade is pretty apparent, especially at this time of year.

Looking forward to upper 70s for high today here in Austin. Yesterday's high in the upper 40s with fog/drizzle all day made me feel like I was back in Portland...

_____

Circa 8:30AM Palm Beach temp.78F. on my car thermometer.Look's like another nice day,surf a little choppy,puffies on the stream,beachgoers all over the place.

Jon,All I can say is it sure feels warm.I am a very close to the Gulfstream here(look at a map and you will see we are the furthest East in the State). The stream is one to two miles off and it definitely effects temp. My experience with weather service reports is that they are taken at airports,which are usually inland.For example,Palm Beach International is approximately 4 miles inland.I have been suprised in my High Temp. thread how few times the Max Low has been in Key West.This has been an extremely warm winter here so far but we all know how quickly that can change.

Wow, Ken.  I too am pretty sensitive to sun angles as real low ones (like in AK this summer) have a depressive effect on me.  But, you've got me beat by a mile.

Speaking of that cold front yesterday when you had 40F in Austin: it made it to within five miles of my house and then stopped.  It was the damndest thing.  When I left for work yesterday the car thermometer said 68F.  On the radio, I heard it was 51F in Bellaire, a town just southwest of me, 10 minutes away.  After that, it clouded up and started raining as the cold front stopped in its tracks and turned around the other direction as a warm front.  More power to the Gulf!

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Help,

Can somebody blow some heat to us? The expect for sundaynight -4C/24.8F

I hope in that time, the weathercards are different.... and give tempeture's above freezing level! :)

Robbin

Southwest

(fastfeat @ Dec. 11 2007,08:03)

(steve 9atx @ Dec. 10 2007,14:23)

Ken

Steve

Steve--

I'm outdoors, mostly surveying, for 8-10 hours a day. The sun angle of different latitudes is indeed, very noticeable to me. Even when back in SoFla, the difference in sun angle between Palm Beach Co and South Dade is pretty apparent, especially at this time of year.

Looking forward to upper 70s for high today here in Austin. Yesterday's high in the upper 40s with fog/drizzle all day made me feel like I was back in Portland...

The sun angle (latitude) of Austin is actually slightly further south than Tallahassee and Jacksonville FL by a few miles.  I am at the same appx latitude of Gainesville FL.

(steve 9atx @ Dec. 11 2007,10:13)

Wow, Ken.  I too am pretty sensitive to sun angles as real low ones (like in AK this summer) have a depressive effect on me.  But, you've got me beat by a mile.

Speaking of that cold front yesterday when you had 40F in Austin: it made it to within five miles of my house and then stopped.  It was the damndest thing.  When I left for work yesterday the car thermometer said 68F.  On the radio, I heard it was 51F in Bellaire, a town just southwest of me, 10 minutes away.  After that, it clouded up and started raining as the cold front stopped in its tracks and turned around the other direction as a warm front.  More power to the Gulf!

Steve

I felt the exact second that front went thru, it went from calm to instantly windy, north winds and dropping temps.

Last night it turned around and went back through as a warm front.  At around midnight is was about 53F, then around 8 am it was up to 72F, temps rose dramatically all night.

Winter is coming back, but only for a couple of days again.  At least after that we will stay in the 70s.  I don't like cold air, but after a long very hot summer, I was looking forward to some cooler air.

Today

Dec 11  Partly Cloudy 83°/64° 20 %

Wed

Dec 12  PM Showers 82°/62° 30 %

Thu

Dec 13  Scattered T-Storms 69°/56° 50 %

Fri

Dec 14  Showers 71°/57° 50 %

Sat

Dec 15  T-Showers 62°/35° 60 %

Sun

Dec 16  Sunny 56°/38° 20 %

Mon

Dec 17  Sunny 64°/45° 10 %

Tue

Dec 18  Mostly Cloudy 73°/55° 0 %

Wed

Dec 19  Showers 70°/52° 60 %

Thu

Dec 20  Showers 74°/51° 60 %

(bubba @ Dec. 11 2007,08:58)

Circa 8:30AM Palm Beach temp.78F. on my car thermometer.Look's like another nice day,surf a little choppy,puffies on the stream,beachgoers all over the place.

Jon,All I can say is it sure feels warm.I am a very close to the Gulfstream here(look at a map and you will see we are the furthest East in the State). The stream is one to two miles off and it definitely effects temp. My experience with weather service reports is that they are taken at airports,which are usually inland.For example,Palm Beach International is approximately 4 miles inland.I have been suprised in my High Temp. thread how few times the Max Low has been in Key West.This has been an extremely warm winter here so far but we all know how quickly that can change.

I remember you saying that it's been quite a while since it's been below 40F there.  You really should try a lipstick in the ground!  I've got loads of plants that are out of my zone in the ground, and if I could have a lipstick, I'd do it.  I just cover mine the 5-6 times a year that it gets too cold and add a small heater...

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a