IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Highest Winter Temperatures

bubba

Technically winter doesn't start til Dec 21, but most people think of the winter months as Dec thru Feb.  Trust me, in South Texas, Spring starts Looong before Mar 21, despite what the calendar states.  Stuff starts budding out and growing in late Feb usually, if they went dormant.  My wife's rosebushes are still pushing tons of roses now.  I think more of March 1st as the real start to spring around here, as it usually is getting pretty warm by then and stuff is growing.

Dec.15,2007-MH-Ft.Myers,Fl.-86F.; ML-Miami,Fl.-77F.Results-MH-Tx.-10;Fl.-4;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.-13;Tx-1.Things are likely to change as an Artic front advances towards Florida.

What you look for is what is looking

(bubba @ Dec. 15 2007,11:16)

Dec.15,2007-MH-Ft.Myers,Fl.-86F.; ML-Miami,Fl.-77F.Results-MH-Tx.-10;Fl.-4;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.-13;Tx-1.Things are likely to change as an Artic front advances towards Florida.

This is moving across the screen about as fast as I have ever seen one move.  It is 75 degrees right now and this is less than an hour away.  Low tonight will be 37 degrees.  Freeze tomorrow night.  Why is it when I look at this picture, I hear the music of "Jaws."

post-1207-1197743759_thumb.png

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Dec.16,2007-MH-Ft.Myers,Fl.-85F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.80F.-Results-Tx.-10;Fl.-5;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.-15-

Tx.-1.Only other state with warm temp.was Houma,La.with 82F.T5he Artic blast has hit Fl. It will be interesting to see how low we will go!

Dec.17,2007-MH-Ft. Lauderdale,FL.,Miami,Fl.-83F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-80F.;Results- MH-Tx.10-Fl.6-Ca.-1;ML-Fl.16-Tx.-1.The Artic blast has hit Florida and it will be interesting to check the results!

Dec.18,2007-MH-Key West NAF-70F.;ML-Key West,fL.62F.Results-MH-Tx-10;Fl.-7;Ca.-1;ML-fL.-17;tX.-1.The Artic front is here! Santa Claus has arrived!

Dec.19,2007;MH-McAllen,Tx.-82F.;ML-Richtrav's South,Tx.-63F.Results-MH-Tx.-11-FL.-7 Ca.-1;ML-Fl-17;Tx.-2.

Rich,I use Weather Underground and do not have access to that neat gadget.According to Weather Underground,Key West had the highest low at 62F.,while Brownsville and Port Isabel reported minimums of 61F.The highest Max. in Fl. was Miami at 77F. I appreciate your imput and please feel free to correct me anytime.Also greatly enjoyed your book!

Bubba

Hey yes you're right, Bville did record 61 the other morning, it must have occurred after Unisys printed their maps. The local news last night had the morning low at 63, but I think they're out of Weslaco which would fit the data coming in from that town:

http://www.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KT65.html

I believe the Bayview Airport also had about 62-63 that morning

At any rate the warmth is definitely back with a vengeance for the next dew days

Dec.20,2007-MH-McAllen,Tx.-87F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-67F.;Results-MH-Tx.-12;Fl.-7;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.1

8;Tx.-2.Checking other states,Los Angeles high was 63F.and Phoenix was 64F.New Iberia was 77F. and the best Fl. could do was Plant City at 80F.(!)Several other stations reported it also.It can get a little weird on Weather U nderground.In the morning yesterday, Yuma was reporting 89F.Last week a place called Middlthon Tx. was reporting 126F.!

Rich,Please chime in when you have better info.At times,Tx. is an inferno.When is the West going to warm up?

(bubba @ Dec. 20 2007,04:35)

When is the West going to warm up?

For coastal SoCal, maybe in June??  We're at the same latitude as Dallas and Atlanta, so it's amazing we can compete at all.

In all seriousness, it seems like at least once per month in the winter we usually have a string of days with highs around 30C (85F) in LA.  It just hasn't happened yet in December...

I doubt we'll ever win the maximum low temperature competition, the best I ever see in the winter for LA is around 15C (60F).

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Jack,I seem to recall numerous times in the past when Highs for US were definitely in California and Arizona.I have never looked this closely at temps before(and probably never again)and am suprised that Ca. and Arizona are not more involved.The Winter heat in Tx. has been my biggest suprise. I am sure this will all change as it always does.

Bubba

Good question, I don't think you'll see the nat'l highs in the desert southwest until the spring or unless a cold snap grips the entire country east of the Rockies. Too bad they don't take readings in Presidio anymore

We will be near 80 day after tomorrow here in South Louisiana.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

BREAKING NEWS ALERT: KEY WEST NAVAL AIR IS REPORTING A TEMPERATURE OF 88F.WHILE KEY WEST PROPER IS ONLY 78F.IT HAS TO BE NUCLEAR.PLEASE GOVERN YOURSELF ACCORDINGLY.

(elHoagie @ Dec. 20 2007,10:04)

(bubba @ Dec. 20 2007,04:35)

When is the West going to warm up?

For coastal SoCal, maybe in June??  We're at the same latitude as Dallas and Atlanta, so it's amazing we can compete at all.

In all seriousness, it seems like at least once per month in the winter we usually have a string of days with highs around 30C (85F) in LA.  It just hasn't happened yet in December...

I doubt we'll ever win the maximum low temperature competition, the best I ever see in the winter for LA is around 15C (60F).

Dallas is actually further south than LA (and ATL), going by the lat/long.

(bubba @ Dec. 20 2007,07:35)

At times,Tx. is an inferno.When is the West going to warm up?

I've said all along that So. TX gets it's fair share of winter heat.  People don't realize that I think, because of the occasional cold fronts that roll through.  Every month in winter S. TX gets some 80 degree + weather.  The only thing stopping So. TX from being an even palmier tropical paradise than it would be is those stupid blue nother express cold fronts a few times a winter.  Other than that, for example, Corpus Christi is further south than Tampa FL, the RGV is at the same latitude as Broward and Dade county FL

Dec.21,2007-MH-McAllen,Tx.89F.;Ml-Marathon,Fl.-69F.-Results-MH-Tx.-12;Fl.7;Ca.1;ML-Fl.-18-

Tx.2.Key West NAF was reporting 88F.early and it was obviously like Yuma the day before.The best in Fl. was Ft. Myers at 81F.with 80F at numerous locations.

Alert-Math Correction-MH-Tx.-13;ML-Fl.-19;Did not Presidio report like 90F-100F every day in the winter?

Presidio averages about 70 in the winter (but the 30s at night), it starts to jump in Feb when the sun gets higher and Mexico really starts to warm up. There is also no oceanic influence that far west that might hold temps back

Dec.22,2007-MH-Laredo,Tx.-90F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-71F. Results-MH-Tx.-14;Fl.-7;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.20;Tx.-2.Good God,90F.on the first day of Winter!

Dec.23,2007-MH-Harligen,Tx.-81F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-63F. Results-MH-Tx.-15;Fl.7;Ca.-1;ML-Fl-21;Tx.2.I checked La. but could not find any 80's.Numerous locations in Fl. reported 80F..My car thermometer reported 84F. on the way to the course but we can not open that Pandora's box!

Dec.24,2007-MH-Melbourne,Fl. and Okeechobee,Fl.-82F. ML-Miami,Fl.-66F.;Results-MH-Tx.15;FL-8;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.-22;Tx.-2.Other notables included Corona,Ca.with a high of 79F.and Yuma,Az.at 76F.The West is getting warmer!Other states highs included Harligen,Tx.60F.(yesterday's MH)and New Orleans,La. at 58F.Other notable ML's included Avalon,Ca.at 53F.,Yuma,AZ.at 46F.,Brownsville,Tx.at 44F.and New Orleans,La. at 40F.

Dec.25,2007-MH-Miami,Fl. and Ft.Myers-82F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-70F.Results-TX.-15;fL.9-Ca.-1;ML-Fl.-23;Tx.-2.West continues to warm as LA hit 75F. and Yuma 74F. Merry Christmas to all and Peace!

Dec.26,2007-MH-Plant City,Fl.82F.(?)but numerous other locations at 81F.-ML-Marathon,Fl.-71F. Results-MH-TX.-15;fL.-10;Ca-1;ML-Fl.24;Tx-2.

(syersj @ Dec. 22 2007,12:21)

I also see Wink TX as another place that has the high temp in the spring.

Don't rule San Angelo out come February for the same reason.  We have had the MH several times since I've lived here starting in Feb.  Our record highs in February are all in the 80's or higher.  I seem to recall a couple of triple digit February days a few years ago, but couldn't find them on Weather Underground.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Wink is about 30 miles W of Odessa, basically 15 miles straight S of the NM/TX state line that runs N and S between the two states.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

Dec.27,2007-MH-Hollywood,Fl. and Miami,fl.-81F;ML-Marathon,Fl.-70F.Results-MH-Tx.-15;Fl-11;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.-25;Tx-2.Brownsville and environs appear to be warming up as it had a high of 77F.Freeze warnings for desert Ca. and Az. ,where Blythe reported 29F.and Imperial Ca.reported 30F.Generally a little chilly for Ca. where LA. reported 61/43F.,San Diego 59/42F.and Palm Springs 58/35F.Winter is digging in and no place in the Continental US is safe!

Dec.28,2007-MH-Marathon,Fl.-85F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-72f. Results-MH-TX.15;fL.-12;Ca.-1;ML-FL.-26;Tx-2.Brownsville warmed up to 80F.Rather chilly West where LA reported 58/45F,Palm Springs58/46F. and Phoenix 51/33F.The West is getting it early so the East will likely get it latter!

Dec.29,2007-MH-Naples,Fl.-85F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-77F.   Results-MH-TX.-15;fL.13;Ca.1;Ml-Fl-27;Tx.-2.Plant City,Fl reported 87F.(?)Okeechobee,fL. reported 86F.It does get toasty out there. It has been very hot for us in Fl. and I am looking forward to a cool breeze.That stated,however,our worst cold devastation comes after cold fronts preceded by lengthy periods of warmth.We shall see.

decembers usually most cold month in california and west mexico. in florida and east is usually january, february ? i have brother who live in fort lauderdale florida he say to me the end of januarys most worse for the cold.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Cristobal,I agree and do not understand why. It will be interesting to watch this year.

Dec.30,2007-MH-Plant City,Fl.-86F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-77F. Results-MH-Tx.-15;Fl.-14;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.-28;Tx.-2.Intense cold front is on it's towards Texas,Louisiana, Florida and the Southeast next week.

Dec.31,2007-MH-Okeechobee,Fl.-86F.;ML-Marathon,Fl.-77F. Results-Tx.-15;Fl.-15;Ca.-1;ML-Fl.-29;Tx.-2.Strong Artic blast is on it's way!

(bubba @ Dec. 31 2007,07:15)

.Strong Artic blast is on it's way!

Yes...I think the max highs/lows will need to be looked for outside of FL for a few days.  I see that NWS even has south FL struggling to get into the upper 50's for high temps!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b