IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A New Cold Front Sweeps Through

_Keith

(junglegalfla @ Nov. 17 2007,08:03)

My 2 el cheapo thermometers read 42.5. The closest weather station says the low was 43.1.  Come on sun and warmth! This bites. :angry:

Bren, you should move to Albert Whitted, the min there was 54!  Talk about envy, thats 20deg warmer than me, and about 65 miles away...

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

I heard on the radio that people had frost up towards Apopoka and Plymouth, just 15-20 miles NW of Orlando.

What a difference the heat island makes.

The director at Leu Gardens lives up towards Lake Mary and there has been quite a few times he comes in and says he had frost on the windshield and it was 27-30 at his house. Then at Leu Gardens we are sitting at 40-42F.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Bren, you should move to Albert Whitted, the min there was 54!  Talk about envy, thats 20deg warmer than me, and about 65 miles away...

I think she only lives a few miles from there.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Way too early to start crying yet, boys and girls.  Not cold enough to even flinch yet.  Geez, what happens when cold weather gets here in earnest?  Be sure and stock up on Kleenex.  

Just kidding, wore two shirts and left my pajamas on under my pants for work.   Nearly died from exposure.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Cobra & Larry,

I live 5.2 miles NW from the airport off of 38th ave, 2 miles from coffee pot bayou, on a hill no less. Water and concrete obviously do wonders for their temps. I still don't believe their reading.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

(Alan_Tampa @ Nov. 17 2007,15:57)

Way too early to start crying yet, boys and girls.  Not cold enough to even flinch yet.  Geez, what happens when cold weather gets here in earnest?  Be sure and stock up on Kleenex.  

No kidding. You guys need something to keep you busy?

Winter hasn't even started. Don't let your palms hear your nervousness....they can smell weakness from a mile away.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

That's exactly the problem. Winter temps before winter actualy arrives spells trouble.  We will need the Kleenex sooner than later.  Move to the tropics now and save yourself!!  I won't say I told you so.

Ray  "Soothsayer of doom"

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

41.5F at 2:00am, then it warmed up through the night. Closest FAWN station bottomed out at 44F last night. I'm not sure how I can be colder than a station that is about 10 miles to the east northeast (inland from the bay) of me that is out in the middle of an open field, not on a hill, not near any kind of water...and I live on a small lake... Larry, I think our weather stations read too low. It is a conspiracy perpetrated by Oregon Scientific  :P  I was too close to the 30's for comfort. Thank god that moisture began to increase in atmospere very early this morning. Turned out to be a really nice day today with a high near 80F.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

(junglegalfla @ Nov. 17 2007,16:37)

Cobra & Larry,

I live 5.2 miles NW from the airport off of 38th ave, 2 miles from coffee pot bayou, on a hill no less. Water and concrete obviously do wonders for their temps. I still don't believe their reading.

Junglegal-

I too was very surprised to see my reading this AM as well.  NWS called for 49F!  I ended up the same as you with a low of 42F!

Larry 

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 17 2007,18:52)

Larry, I think our weather stations read too low. It is a conspiracy perpetrated by Oregon Scientific  :P

Bill-

I would tend to agree, but every time I do a double (and triple) check of my sensor, its never all that far off.  So, I guess its not lying to me all that much  :angry:

Larry 

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 17 2007,18:52)

Turned out to be a really nice day today with a high near 80F.

Very nice day over here as well...but highs nowhere near 80F.  My station maxed out at 70.9F.

Larry 

I am right there with all of you who are already freaking out about the cold.  We have not gotten below 52 yet but have had several nights in the 50s and my adonidias are spotting and the veitchias are yellowing out.  

Now I have waaayyy too much stuff to protect, not even enough room for my pots.  Plus I'll be out of town for a solid month in December-January, so I won't even be able to water anything.  And there is a chance I will move someplace COLD next summer, so all of my protection efforts would be wasted since I would have to give everything away anyway.  

Argh

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Digging around weatherunderground, I found a station that reported 36F this morning in Brandon/Bloomingdale area! I was at a softball game in Bloomingdale last night until about 9:30 PM and it seemed like frost could have settled any moment. I am sure there was frost there last night at some point. I don't mean to be an alarmist, but I think that these nights of radiational cooling can catch people off guard. To be thorough however I should mention that other amateur stations in the similar area logged no lower than 45F to 46F though. One really needs to know how these people have their themometers mounted. I would say a good portion of any stations that logged higher than 43 or 44 last night anywhere not on a barrier island or right on the shore of the bay or gulf probably don't have their thermometers mounted at the right height (i.e. they have it on the roof or mounted on the wall of their house instead of about 5 to 6 feet high on a pole in the most open area of the yard) or their thermometer was under canopy. This is understandable, however, as some people in older neighborhoods with establised oaks have no choice but to have their thermometer under canopy and not everyone likes the curb appeal of a free standing weather apparatus in thier yard... On these cold nights, I tend to give the colder reporting stations more credence when I am looking through Wunderground. Heck, Bren got 42.5 in the middle of pinellas county not but a few miles away from the Albert Whitted's unrealistic 54F. Stations were inconsitent all over pinellas and hillsborough counties last night. I would say that most areas were in the low to mid 40's with higher temps in the upper 40's to lower 50's within one or 2 blocks of the bay and gulf, and lower temps in the mid to upper 30's with frost in traditionally colder places like New Tampa, Brandon, Riverview and Wimauma. Orlando was equally inconsitent with stations reporting from the upper 30's to upper 40's with no discernable pattern. I did not find a station in Orlando reporting as low as in Brandon however. Perhaps the moisture that saved me from an early season frost moved in from the Atlantic from east to west.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

That part of Brandon is subject to cold air drainage.  It is frequently much colder there than areas just a stone's throw away.  If you don't live in this cold pocket, use it as a worse case local cold spot, you will likely stay warmer than that area so if they do ok, you should be safe in your own area on cold nights, otherwise don't let it bring you down.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

the coldbowl airport logged a low of 34 this morning. My meter was in thie high 30's.

I recorded 32.4 on saturday morning. while airport logged in 26!

I am still frost and freeze free.  banana and tender foliage is fine.  my experimental areca palm looks good.

high 70's/ 50 forcast for the next few days. thats more like it. :)

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Defintely nice looking forward for the next week with highs in the low 80s and lows in the high 50s to low 60s. It did manage to get back down to 52.3F this morning. We need this warm week to recharge the water temps in the bay and gulf (and the little lake in my back yard) which really are my real protection from the cold. Mid 60s water temps after this latest cold.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

By the way, the NWS in Ruskin recorded 44F on the 17th as the low. Why am I so much colder considering the NWS is literally only 2 miles to the east northeast from me, and folks, there is no topography here...

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Was reading about you guys feeling some cold for the first time this growing season and today we were trying to find a parking space with some shade as the sun was very warm - had to use the AC in the car.  Of course that's usually the case here nost of the year.  We have been getting a few degrees cooler here too tho', infact check the Kailua-Kona, Hawaii Island temps forcast for the next 5-days.  It's gonna drop below 70F!

Nov. 18    83/71F     28.3/21.6C    (Sunday)

"     19   83/69       28.3/20.5

"     20   83/69       28.3/20.5

"     21   84/69       28.8/20.5

"     22   84/69       28.8/20.5    Thanksgiving Day

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al,

I hope you're bringing out the blankets! :D

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I feel for you guys out there on the west FL coast--so dry and cold already. While it was cooling down quite a bit here, my low of 51 a few days back doesn't seem so bad for 16 mi from the water...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

My lowest low so far was 46.8 which is normal relative to your 51F.  Miami bottomed out at 57 that same morning.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B