IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nypa fruticans in a pot

redant

I know these are water lovers, would these palms prefer a saucer under the pot to retain extra water so the soil stays extra swampy? I have other palms that thrive on this situation & I killed a couple before I realized this is what they wanted.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Hi Doug,

My two Nypa are constantly in water.  The same goes for Mauritia and Mauritiella.

Ray

• Upvote 1

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Thanks for the heads up guys.You can learn something everyday. I just got a 1gal. plant at the palm sale from Faith Bishock. My only other one is growing along the bank of my pond.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Not having much experience with Nypa, I would recommend the saucer over the container with no drain holes.  Even in habitat, Nypa is not always submerged, but with low tide is out of the water twice a day.  I think the saucer comes closer to this than being completely submerged.  I have done this (saucer) with red mangrove and Metroxylon to good effect.  When I submerged a Nypa one gallon into a small pond, it declined and finally croaked.

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

Thanks for the good info.

Another thought I had but am more hesitant with is I live on a brackish river. I don't know the salt content & it certainly varies with tides & rains but mangroves love it around me. Would using the river water to water these in the pot be a bad idea? I'm thinking to much salt buildup if done more then once in a while.

Jupiter FL

I think they prefer an estuarine habitat, so a tidal canal ( I am guessing that is what you have there) would be OK, I think.  Mine is in a tote filled with freshwater and is submerged in a pot within this tote, out in the sun.  Also, left it like that all last winter and it lived!  (Got in the 30sF here.  A pinch of salt would help to keep fungus under control as well as other nasties as these in general (many exceptions) do not dig a salty drink.

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

My suggestion would be once grown to a decent height in a pale of bucket or barrel,this baby needs a lake or pond like the one seen in the following stills_

post-108-1195020861_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(krisachar @ Nov. 14 2007,01:14)

My suggestion would be once grown to a decent height in a pale of bucket or barrel,this baby needs a lake or pond like the one seen in the following stills_

Yes, mine needs to grow up a bit before being put in the swamp. Right now the dog would crush it while stomping on lizards.

Jupiter FL

Dear redant,

I have tried serveral my own way to grow Nypa. See my pictures below may you decision on your own way easier. No one wrong. As I seen their habitat, I know immediately the water could not kill them. So I first try with holeless pot + clay soil. Even I tried on pure water soilless saucer. Sometime water was dried out but they still alive. So they proved that they are strong palm, don't worry to grow them. I Think growing in pot + saucer is the another best way to treat and fertilize.

Enjoy Growing Palms

post-117-1195292966_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Komkrit Yensirikul

Bangkok, Thailand /17C to 40C Avg32C /rain 4 months a year.

Cool picture, looks very prehistoric, like a T-rex would all of a sudden poke his head through and snatch you!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I kept mine in a pot but bought a cat litter box and kept the box filled with water and put the pot in. I changed the water out every couple of days so it didn't get stagnant and this worked just find. Also worked for Maurtia flexuosa, Maurtiella armata, and a rare horsetail.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Thanks, your pictures are very informative, I was worried about keeping them to wet. I guess that's not possible.

The last picture is fantastic!

Jupiter FL

We grew the nypas at the Palmetum in half-submerged pots and it worked. I also tried one in a fully submerged pot and one in a pot with just the base in the water and saw little difference in growth, they all did fine. A few years later all nypas died when the Palmetum was abandoned and they were left with no water at all.

A tip: the more water you will put in the "saucepan",  the more stable will be the temperatures. So, it is better to submerge various pots in a larger sink than each pot in one small sink.

Carlo

• 12 years later...

Hello,

according to RPS new list there will be many of us who wants to try grow Nypa fruticans in pot. Is there anyone who know how to grow them indoors or at least in pots? 

here is my attempt (pot without holes):

4F70D68D-FE2B-4054-9ED5-032D0865F11E.thumb.jpeg.4c42d371bc3fc64279100c753e91c74a.jpeg

1DB6C7C2-28E6-4FF5-9F5B-0307C1F07147.thumb.jpeg.266c4ca2625b8c2341ac69fb22027345.jpeg0EEBD121-34AE-479F-8C96-69051E64444F.thumb.jpeg.c85e1c0509b2356a7acc58b3d1e51f03.jpeg

I preferred mostly anorganic mix (a lot of zeolite, pumice and seramis and a few pinium bark chips)

07096C2C-CB13-4E49-9A27-EB08F4D827F6.thumb.jpeg.06ed7811d02c50e283298aed4e198a03.jpeg98337DCE-8482-4654-A9F5-919F6141EF18.thumb.jpeg.d1dbeae409a93a7bdc6facbd389c3ba1.jpeg

I keep it warm (it’s right on the heating), minimal temperature is 22C and goes to maximum at 30C. 

Will this work for Nypa well? Thank you for any advice

• Like 1

Pot with holes, in the summer outdoors in a tank, in winter in a heated greenhouse on a saucer full of water (temperature around 18 ° C).

Nypa01.jpg

Nypa02.jpg

• Like 1

Regards,

Pietro Puccio

I remember a day spent at the beach in southern Thailand and having half a dozen baby sprouted Nypa float by over the space of the day in the surf. I collected them all then sent them back out to sea at the end of the day. These can handle (at least while still unrooted) sea water. Whereas a coconut must grow above the high tide mark, Nypas will grow wherever a coconut grows but below the high tide mark. Further upstream Nypas inhabit the muddy watercourses with varying degrees of salinity, and they get huge. I would imagine that anything less than 20C would slow them way down though.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.