• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trunkless Sabals

ahosey01

I just got a haul of strap leaf trunkless Sabals.  They're going to be low palms to fill in the lower level of a fully planted bed of palms.

I have:

• Sabal 'Tamaulipas'
  • Sabal minor (blountsdown dwarf form)
  • Sabal minor (regular form)
  • Sabal minor (Gary's NC form)
  • Sabal miamiensis
  • Sabal 'Louisiana'
  • Sabal etonia

I have a couple more spaces to fill.  Are there any trunkless sabal varieties that are interesting that I don't have?  Serenoa repens doesn't count because they do awful around here.  Every one I see looks like hell - I think it's the soil.

Was also wondering if anyone knew where to find grass Butia.  That might be cool.

• Like 1

You've covered at lot of them.  A few others.

Sabal minor "Emerald Isle Giant"

Sabal brazoriensis - kind of trunking

Slow growers - Birmingham

The huge stands of native Sabal minor by me are a large type, up to 8' tall (maybe more) and easily that much around.  I call them "Lake Houston Giant" .  Everybody else gets to name a local variety so I have now too.  I'm getting good germination on some seeds I collected in January.  I can send you some seedlings once they get larger, or seeds this fall if you want.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chester B said:

You've covered at lot of them.  A few others.

Sabal minor "Emerald Isle Giant"

Sabal brazoriensis - kind of trunking

Slow growers - Birmingham

The huge stands of native Sabal minor by me are a large type, up to 8' tall (maybe more) and easily that much around.  I call them "Lake Houston Giant" .  Everybody else gets to name a local variety so I have now too.  I'm getting good germination on some seeds I collected in January.  I can send you some seedlings once they get larger, or seeds this fall if you want.

Send me some seedlings for sure.  I don't have the infrastructure for reliable germination.  I travel a lot and space is limited.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ahosey01 said:

Send me some seedlings for sure.  I don't have the infrastructure for reliable germination.  I travel a lot and space is limited.

They started popping a week ago, so I can send some in a month or so.  The great thing about fresh palm seeds is that a community pot left outside works pretty well.  

15 minutes ago, Chester B said:

They started popping a week ago, so I can send some in a month or so.  The great thing about fresh palm seeds is that a community pot left outside works pretty well.  

You know of anywhere up there selling brazoria?

4 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

I just got a haul of strap leaf trunkless Sabals.  They're going to be low palms to fill in the lower level of a fully planted bed of palms.

I have:

• Sabal 'Tamaulipas'
  • Sabal miamiensis
  • Sabal 'Louisiana'
  • Sabal etonia

I have a couple more spaces to fill.  Are there any trunkless sabal varieties that are interesting that I don't have?  Serenoa repens doesn't count because they do awful around here.  Every one I see looks like hell - I think it's the soil.

Was also wondering if anyone knew where to find grass Butia.  That might be cool.

Sabal minor ‘Emerald Isle Giant’

Sabal minor ‘Wakulla Dwarf’

Sabal minor ‘Chipola Dwarf’

I’m not aware of any Butias other than odorata available anywhere in the US. Most so-called ‘capitata’ are actually odorata. Hurricane Ian destroyed my lovely Butia yatay and I can’t find a replacement. I’ve never laid eyes on grass or dwarf Butias. I’d love to try some, too.

• Like 1

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

3 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

You know of anywhere up there selling brazoria?

Nope.  I've only seen minor, palmetto and mexicana here.

Barton Springs nursery in Austin has been my source for Brazoria palms. They have the famous mother plant that is often pictured here on Palm talk.

• Like 1

Just now, Dwarf Fan said:

Barton Springs nursery in Austin has been my source for Brazoria palms. They have the famous mother plant that is often pictured here on Palm talk.

I called them but they didn't have any...  Will have to keep calling.

Sabal King also has Brazoriensis but they are probably not going to be as large in size as Barton Springs typical offerings.

14 hours ago, ahosey01 said:

I have:

• Sabal 'Tamaulipas'
  • Sabal miamiensis
  • Sabal 'Louisiana'
  • Sabal etonia

Are there any trunkless sabal varieties that are interesting that I don't have? 

I am sure I missed a few but this is my list:

Sabal minor ‘Louisiana’

Sabal minor 'Welfare TX’

Sabal minor ‘Taliaferro‘ GA

Sabal minor ‘Tamaulipas’

Sabal minor Tamaulipas ‘San Carlos’

Sabal minor ‘McCurtain’ OK -24F

Sabal minor ‘Knoxville’ TN -22F

Sabal minor ‘Lawrence’ KS -16F

Sabal minor ‘Cherokee’ AL -11F

Sabal minor ‘Warren’ AR

Sabal minor ‘Emerald Isle Giant’ NC

Sabal minor 'Cape Hatteras' NC

Sabal Minor ‘Manteo’ NC

Sabal minor ‘Baker’ FL

Sabal minor “Chipola FL Dwarf’ 

Sabal minor ‘High Springs FL Dwarf’

Sabal minor ‘Castor LA Dwarf’

Sabal minor ‘Wakulla FL Dwarf'

Sabal minor ‘Blountstown FL Dwarf’

Sabal minor ‘Liberty TX Dwarf’

So far I have had ZERO success locating ANY of the grass Butias below, please let me know if you run across any of these:

Grass Butia: 

Marmorii

Exospadix

Campicola

Leptospatha

Microspadix

l have Butia paraguayensis and I know Butia eriospatha is in some Palm Talkers gardens and out there some where.

We had one nursery in Oregon that sold eriospatha and still do.  Those of us who had them managed to kill them over the last two winters, but they would do well down here in Texas.  Never seen a grass butia.

I'm attempting to germinate some Phoenix acaulis seeds too, but not sure how fresh they are.  I did have one before, but it declined after shipping but I can say it was a nice looking small palm.