Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Some nice little licuala ramsayi seedlings


happypalms

Recommended Posts

A tough licuala the ramsayi just add water and a great growing palm cold tolerant not frost but a fair amount of cold for a tropical climate palm on mass they look stunning or planted as a specimen tree there wort( growing I paid a dollar a seedling for these ones about 4 years ago not really getting much attention accept for watering almost time to repot them into 7 inch containers or some six inch containers I could do that now or at the start of spring iam not to worried about doing now but preferably in spring would be better but a great shade loving palm worth growing.

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg

IMG_5883.jpeg

IMG_5886.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looking good! Harry

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Could you explain please, what you have in mind for cold tolerance?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, happypalms said:

A tough licuala the ramsayi just add water and a great growing palm cold tolerant not frost but a fair amount of cold for a tropical climate palm on mass they look stunning or planted as a specimen tree there wort( growing I paid a dollar a seedling for these ones about 4 years ago not really getting much attention accept for watering almost time to repot them into 7 inch containers or some six inch containers I could do that now or at the start of spring iam not to worried about doing now but preferably in spring would be better but a great shade loving palm worth growing.

IMG_5880.jpeg

IMG_5881.jpeg

IMG_5885.jpeg

IMG_5883.jpeg

IMG_5886.jpeg

IMG_5884.jpeg

IMG_5882.jpeg

Funny, your babies have already segmented leaves but still no spines along the petioles 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Phoenikakias said:

Funny, your babies have already segmented leaves but still no spines along the petioles 

Cold tolerance as in temperatures as low as 2 degrees Celsius with medium chill hours in a subtropical climate not frosts but certainly a cold tolerant licuala in comparison to others in the genus but very try them in Greece for sure if a chamaedorea sefritzii lives a ramsayi will and as for segemented leaves I really didn’t notice or the lack of spines it might be an Australian thing as we Australians do it better 😂

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a few public buildings not far from my house that have L ramsayii planted among various philodendrons. They've been there for years and survived -3c nights quite a few times, however they are totally protected from frost.  Mine has lived in a pot on the back patio for 3 years and shown no sign of cold damage. It is starting to get too big for the patio so will have to be planted sometime this year.  (or I can get a really huge pot and sit it in the shade and hope we don't get frost !

Peachy

  • Like 1

I came. I saw. I purchased

 

 

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, peachy said:

There are a few public buildings not far from my house that have L ramsayii planted among various philodendrons. They've been there for years and survived -3c nights quite a few times, however they are totally protected from frost.  Mine has lived in a pot on the back patio for 3 years and shown no sign of cold damage. It is starting to get too big for the patio so will have to be planted sometime this year.  (or I can get a really huge pot and sit it in the shade and hope we don't get frost !

Peachy

I think they are a real beauty of a palm plumtree pocket nursery has unreal ones planted in a creek bed they look amazing and in perfect condition I recommend a wet place for your one with room to grow it will live in your garden don’t worry about the cold if you’re frost free 

Richard 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/5/2024 at 9:38 AM, happypalms said:

Cold tolerance as in temperatures as low as 2 degrees Celsius with medium chill hours in a subtropical climate not frosts but certainly a cold tolerant licuala in comparison to others in the genus but very try them in Greece for sure if a chamaedorea sefritzii lives a ramsayi will and as for segemented leaves I really didn’t notice or the lack of spines it might be an Australian thing as we Australians do it better 😂

Here are mine, seeds from Mena Creek 😉 They grow in a mix exclusively of leca and pine bark chips and and experienced at least once temps around 0 C.

20240608_152604.thumb.jpg.7fb652505055f3245052b0a84e71d27f.jpg20240608_152612.thumb.jpg.495c407035524353723fb90d31a1b64a.jpg20240608_152639.thumb.jpg.5297bf6c5afa37a5bd327595d378358d.jpg20240608_152753.thumb.jpg.69e8dc83e10a13390524727c5db355cb.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here’s one sold to me as a Licuala ramsayi back about 10 years or so ago.

965A18BB-068E-44B8-8EB0-3EFFA09C525F.thumb.jpeg.a4c07b4c462dd4db371dbc1aef8c1409.jpeg

 

CDA17B25-46FA-4743-9584-3488AC176391.thumb.jpeg.0a3a3fe8ca7226920f0a8d448d0bdfdc.jpeg

 

970A65A7-C9AD-4473-9A26-D4CDBD3F339D.thumb.jpeg.18e0237c11b8519d6f87d0a3f3bedff7.jpeg

  • Like 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are a few long term survivors of L ramsayi in Melbourne so can definitely take below freezing under canopy at least as suggested above. But still not a palm I’d call cold or cool tolerant. They really are much better suited to the subtropics or at least warmer temperate climates like Sydney. For comparison, Lanonia dasyantha seems more tolerant of cool conditions than Licuala ramsayi. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Tim Brisbane

Patterson Lakes, bayside Melbourne, Australia

Rarely Frost

2005 Minimum: 2.6C,  Maximum: 44C

2005 Average: 17.2C, warmest on record.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, tim_brissy_13 said:

There are a few long term survivors of L ramsayi in Melbourne so can definitely take below freezing under canopy at least as suggested above. But still not a palm I’d call cold or cool tolerant. They really are much better suited to the subtropics or at least warmer temperate climates like Sydney. For comparison, Lanonia dasyantha seems more tolerant of cool conditions than Licuala ramsayi. 

Hi Tim I guess when I say cold tolerant I forget there are people in zones 9 to 8 even lower growing palms who require cold tolerant palms to me that is the death zones of palms in comparison to a MAPU which i would never consider planting so there is a blurred line of cold tolerance in palms that are called cold tolerant I guess cool tolerance would be a better word for the palms iam growing in the subtropical zones that are cold areas such as places in my area that get as low as minus 2 degrees Celsius to me that is the death zone for palms not sunny cold 🥶 Melbourne or Tasmania also i only get around two months of cool weather places like Canberra are cold for almost 6 months they start to get frosts months earlier than I do or Dubbo I guess it’s a geographical location thing yes lanonia once was a licuala so it gets even more confusing for cold tolerance with certain palms palms can be tricky sometimes a grower can grow a palm in one area and ten minutes drive away you can’t grow the same palm.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

Here’s one sold to me as a Licuala ramsayi back about 10 years or so ago.

965A18BB-068E-44B8-8EB0-3EFFA09C525F.thumb.jpeg.a4c07b4c462dd4db371dbc1aef8c1409.jpeg

 

CDA17B25-46FA-4743-9584-3488AC176391.thumb.jpeg.0a3a3fe8ca7226920f0a8d448d0bdfdc.jpeg

 

970A65A7-C9AD-4473-9A26-D4CDBD3F339D.thumb.jpeg.18e0237c11b8519d6f87d0a3f3bedff7.jpeg

I would love to see your garden doomsdave you have a green thumb for sure and grow a lot of good stuff but tha cursed syngonium I would destroy there a weed in my garden 🪴 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, happypalms said:

I would love to see your garden doomsdave you have a green thumb for sure and grow a lot of good stuff but tha cursed syngonium I would destroy there a weed in my garden 🪴 

You’re welcome any time mate!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

You’re welcome any time mate!

When I book my ticket i will let you know 😄

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, happypalms said:

When I book my ticket i will let you know 😄

I’ve had visitors from Oz a number of times already, including @Tassie_Troy1971

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I visited Dunk island in 1984.  These palms were so numerous at one location that they formed a closed canopy.  The wind flowing through the fronds made the best sound ever !

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

I visited Dunk island in 1984.  These palms were so numerous at one location that they formed a closed canopy.  The wind flowing through the fronds made the best sound ever !

Hi Darold i could only imagine there beauty In habitat I have only seen one grove of them growing along a creek bed out of habitat and I was amazed so much I gained a new found love for this licuala variety they are something special.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...