• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Suggestions on fertilizer

Ltapia

Anybody have any experience with these fertilizers  Osmocote and Palm gain which works better for my location dry and hot I am growing windmill palms and filiferas im in the SW desert area with sandy dirt ?

I have used Osmocote Plus with good success. PalmGain has been highly recommended. Start slowly, especially in the heat. Pay attention closely to the labels. Share lots of pictures!

• Like 1

Zone 6b maritime climate

3 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

I have used Osmocote Plus with good success. PalmGain has been highly recommended. Start slowly, especially in the heat. Pay attention closely to the labels. Share lots of pictures!

I appreciate the response I have PalmGain already I was thinking about switching to Osmocote as the guy I bought my last filifera from was using and his palm collection was stunning in his yard I know they have different ratios as I didn’t know if there were benefits to one or the other for sandy dirt which I have I will definitely post some pics .

They're not the same.  Compare the labels, Osmocote is a a general all around fertilizer.  I'd stick with the Palmgain for palms and osomocote for the rest.  Palmgain will not break down unless you water, it would stick around for months for me in Oregon in the dry seasos unless I watered it at least once a week.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chester B said:

They're not the same.  Compare the labels, Osmocote is a a general all around fertilizer.  I'd stick with the Palmgain for palms and osomocote for the rest.  Palmgain will not break down unless you water, it would stick around for months for me in Oregon in the dry seasos unless I watered it at least once a week.

Appreciate it ok I’ll stick to the PalmGain I just didn’t know if different Palms need different fertilizer I just have Filiferas and Windmills .

• Like 1

For what its worth, Osmocote and osmocote plus are different. I like the convenience. Agree that Palmgain is the gold standard. 

• Like 1

Zone 6b maritime climate

5 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

For what its worth, Osmocote and osmocote plus are different. I like the convenience. Agree that Palmgain is the gold standard. 

Cool is PalmGain ok for potted seedlings too ?

Most people do not fertilize seedlings right away. I have used osmocote plus for my filibusta and trachy seedlings--carefully and erring on the lighter side.

• Like 1

Zone 6b maritime climate

15 minutes ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Most people do not fertilize seedlings right away. I have used osmocote plus for my filibusta and trachy seedlings--carefully and erring on the lighter side.

Ok I’ll try that !