IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Need help with identification

hyak107

Hello, 

I just bought a house in Rockport, Texas (on the coast). The yard is full of different plants and trees that I want to learn how to take care of. I haven't been able to identify the palm in the photo, I used two different plant ID applications, one came back with a California Fan Palm and another with Chinese Fan Palm. I would very much appreciate if someone could help with identification. 

It clearly needs help but I have no idea how to take care of it, so any pointers would be welcomed. It's a beautiful palm and I'm happy to have it on the property, so I definitely want to keep it healthy. 

If I can develop a green thumb there's room for more palms :). 

Thanks, 

Steven

IMG_3595.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hyak107 said:

Hello, 

I just bought a house in Rockport, Texas (on the coast). The yard is full of different plants and trees that I want to learn how to take care of. I haven't been able to identify the palm in the photo, I used two different plant ID applications, one came back with a California Fan Palm and another with Chinese Fan Palm. I would very much appreciate if someone could help with identification. 

It clearly needs help but I have no idea how to take care of it, so any pointers would be welcomed. It's a beautiful palm and I'm happy to have it on the property, so I definitely want to keep it healthy. 

If I can develop a green thumb there's room for more palms :). 

Thanks, 

Steven

IMG_3595.jpg

Looks like california or mexican, it is a washingtonia species palm and it looks fine, probably just some cosmetic cold damage. You can cut some lower fronds for better aesthetic look but otherwise it looks great! It will shoot up in a couple years!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ChicagoPalma said:

Looks like california or mexican, it is a washingtonia species palm and it looks fine, probably just some cosmetic cold damage. You can cut some lower fronds for better aesthetic look but otherwise it looks great! It will shoot up in a couple years!

Awesome, thank you!

Welcome to PalmTalk.  We have several PalmTalkers in/around Corpus Christi.  If you would like to plant more palms, then they could give you suggestions. 

Andrei W. Konradi, Burlingame, California.  Vicarious appreciator of palms in other people's gardens and in habitat

18 hours ago, hyak107 said:

I used two different plant ID applications, one came back with a California Fan Palm and another with Chinese Fan Palm.

I'm not sure it isn't Livistona chinensis (Chinese Fan Palm).  Washingtonia palms have well defined thorns on the leaf petioles (stems) and also have cottony fibers - neither of which I can see in the photo posted.  Livistona chinensis usually have smaller thorns and sometimes no thorns at all.  I have a mature Livistona chinensis and the leaf petioles are almost smooth.  I don't recall seeing Washingtonia leaves with such short leaflets like the older fronds touching the ground.  It looks like it had some freeze damage also and I doubt that Washingtonia leaves would burn at 24° F but Livistona chinensis leaves would.  I believe that 24° F was the coldest temperature in Corpus this past winter.  Can you post a photo with a close-up of the trunk and leaf petioles?  That would be helpful for a more definitive ID.

Jon Sunder

2 hours ago, Fusca said:

I'm not sure it isn't Livistona chinensis (Chinese Fan Palm).  Washingtonia palms have well defined thorns on the leaf petioles (stems) and also have cottony fibers - neither of which I can see in the photo posted.  Livistona chinensis usually have smaller thorns and sometimes no thorns at all.  I have a mature Livistona chinensis and the leaf petioles are almost smooth.  I don't recall seeing Washingtonia leaves with such short leaflets like the older fronds touching the ground.  It looks like it had some freeze damage also and I doubt that Washingtonia leaves would burn at 24° F but Livistona chinensis leaves would.  I believe that 24° F was the coldest temperature in Corpus this past winter.  Can you post a photo with a close-up of the trunk and leaf petioles?  That would be helpful for a more definitive ID.

I'm heading back to the new house this weekend and will take more photos.

40 minutes ago, hyak107 said:

I'm heading back to the new house this weekend and will take more photos.

I was able to zoom in on your photo using a different device and it does look like a Washingtonia - more likely a hybrid.  Very common and doesn't need much attention besides trimming the dead fronds.

• Upvote 1

Jon Sunder