IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why not grow orchids?

Matt in SD

On 5/8/2019 at 10:41 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Depending on where you're located, will determine which Genera / Species you can grow. Then again, Central America is home to a good number of Orchids we here in the states grow ( depending on location of course )  Generally, Orchids will fall into 3 classifications: Cool, Intermediate, and /or Warm growing.  Any species from near sea level / lowest elevations in the Tropics will generally require warm conditions. As you move higher up in elevation, or latitude, growing conditions are often cooler. I'd imagine you should have few problems growing all sorts of stuff.. I'd suspect there are likely several sp. that grow on trees, rocks, etc in any forested spot nearby.

The American Orchid Society has a really good website worth looking into to gain info on things like what each type likes light, temperature, and moisture-wise. There are also at least a couple nurseries located where you're at who i have met and purchased from at international Orchid festivals in California and Florida.  They always bring really hard to find / cool stuff that's not always easy to find here.. Very nice people as well.

Thank you for the tip, I will research on that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

EZ, yes easy grower:  Maxillariella tenuifolia.

20190526-104A3635.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

Look what accidently I did to my very first Psychopsis Mendenhall 'Hildos’ inflorescence. :rant: Did I ruin it (like when you cut the top tip off a new bamboo shoot), or is it possible that it will still put out buds?

A315CB16-475D-422C-8F9C-116D13214DDB.jpeg

• Like 1

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

1 hour ago, Missi said:

Look what accidently I did to my very first Psychopsis Mendenhall 'Hildos’ inflorescence. :rant: Did I ruin it (like when you cut the top tip off a new bamboo shoot), or is it possible that it will still put out buds?

Orchid abuse!!   Guess this means you'll have to give up custody:mrlooney: Lol..    Seriously though, it may still produce a new shoot from the node below where it broke off, like Phalaenopsis can when you remove a spent portion of the flower stalk on them.. unlike things like Cymbidium..    ..a real bummer when the flower stalk gets broken off those..:rage:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Incredible flower color on these Cleisocentron gokusingii .  These flowering specimens are not mine, I was merely admiring them at Andy's.

20190615-104A3901.jpg

20190615-104A3902.jpg

20190615-104A3903.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/29/2019 at 10:35 AM, Silas_Sancona said:

Orchid abuse!!   Guess this means you'll have to give up custody:mrlooney: Lol..    Seriously though, it may still produce a new shoot from the node below where it broke off, like Phalaenopsis can when you remove a spent portion of the flower stalk on them.. unlike things like Cymbidium..    ..a real bummer when the flower stalk gets broken off those..:rage:

Thanks! I'll keep holding out hope for it! The open part has since healed over. Just waiting to see what it does next. It hasn't died off, so it MUST be planning on doing SOMETHING....MUSTN'T it...:unsure:

• Like 2

Lemboglossum cordatum is opening flowers on this spike right now.  If I recall the flowers hold for a moderate amount of time, maybe 1.5 - 2 weeks.  Not as short a bloom as my Sobralia flowers but not as long as some of my winter blooming Laelia's.

20190624-104A4007.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Epidendrum nocturnum, one of the most common native epiphytic orchids in South Florida.

D815CC2F-F241-4550-9A08-A6C1C17F1368.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

The color, size and overall appearance of this Sobralia sanderae's flowers are just hard to beat!

20190716-104A4236.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 5/29/2019 at 8:56 AM, Missi said:

Welp, I had high hopes of a flower this year, but now that might be dashed - AGAIN. It did put out a new spike on the broken spike, then just now a hawk flew over my house screaming and sent my macaw into a panic. He decided to crash land on one of my plant shelves and busted the new spike off. :rant::rant: Hopefully in another 2 months it’ll try to put a third spike out. :hmm:

2EE7FBED-78FA-406C-88A6-1DC48B993BE1.jpeg

• Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 9:22 PM, bar said:

I'm in Sacramento, but I've discovered quite a few orchids that handle our winters!

Bruce

P6272760.JPG

P7232793.JPG

Spectacular. What are their names? And what kind of protection do you give them from winter rain / cold?

• Like 1

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

On 7/25/2019 at 2:24 PM, Missi said:

Welp, I had high hopes of a flower this year, but now that might be dashed - AGAIN. It did put out a new spike on the broken spike, then just now a hawk flew over my house screaming and sent my macaw into a panic. He decided to crash land on one of my plant shelves and busted the new spike off. :rant::rant: Hopefully in another 2 months it’ll try to put a third spike out. :hmm:

2EE7FBED-78FA-406C-88A6-1DC48B993BE1.jpeg

I think its time for you to put this poor thing behind some Bulletproof Glass and a metal cage, lol. :lol:

• Like 2

This is Paphiopedilum delenatii, a lady's slipper orchid, enjoying a few warm, humid, rainy days outside.  It is normally too hot from May-September for this species here.

Paphiopedilum_delenatii.jpeg

• Like 2

This is Pelatantheria scolopendrifolium, a creeping epiphytic species from southern portions of South Korea, China and Japan.  Based on climate data from some of the species' native range in South Korea, it may be the world's cold hardiest epiphytic orchid species.

Hardiest_Epiphytic_orchid.jpeg

• Like 6

13 hours ago, palmsOrl said:

This is Pelatantheria scolopendrifolium, a creeping epiphytic species from southern portions of South Korea, China and Japan.  Based on climate data from some of the species' native range in South Korea, it may be the world's cold hardiest epiphytic orchid species.

Some of the more cold hardy species don't like it too hot.  What has been your experience with this one?  It looks like it will have small to miniature flowers based on the leaves.  Neat find!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tracy said:

Some of the more cold hardy species don't like it too hot.

I guess I should have looked it up first.  Intermediate to Cool; 52°F min. to 80°F max according to Andy at Andy's Orchids. for Pelatantheria scolopendrifolium.  Sounds like it would do well in my climate with a protected spot during our winter.  Another bonus is that it's supposed to be free flowering throughout the year!

• Like 4

Tracy, I have had it for a year now, and initially grew it indoors in one of those glass globes with live sphagnum moss at the bottom.  After that, I just kept it in a windowsill and watered it once per day.  During this time, it was in a low humidity environment and survived, though it didn't grow at all.  I now have it in a bright bay window inside a Gatorade bottle for humidity and it is growing new roots.  No flowers yet, but I am going to keep it in a humid spot outside during the winter and I anticipate this will result in some blooms.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Summer in the northern hemisphere is coming to an end soon with Autumn less than a week away.  It's announced by the opening of some Miltonia regnellii in my garden.  Both Miltonia regnellii variation alba and a regular Miltonia regnellii.  They are an easy grower that appreciates water when mounted like mine on sticks.

20190918-104A4803.jpg

20190916-104A4799.jpg

20190916-104A4776.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/2/2014 at 9:44 AM, Cindy Adair said:

I don't know this gardener but spent quite awhile last night admiring his photos after reading your post last night!

It looks like many were taken in Caguas which is one of many areas of PR I have yet to spend time in. I would certainly like to meet him and would be delighted to trade plants anytime! Do you know if he has a business selling plants?

Thanks so much for sharing the link!

It was wonderful randomly meeting you at the Huntington Orchid Show!  I just heard from a little bird that you actually got to visit Mr. Jardin Boricua! :O  That's awesome!!  When did you visit?  Did you ever post anywhere about it??   I'd sure love to see some pics!  :D

35 minutes ago, epiphyte said:

It was wonderful randomly meeting you at the Huntington Orchid Show!  I just heard from a little bird that you actually got to visit Mr. Jardin Boricua! :O  That's awesome!!  When did you visit?  Did you ever post anywhere about it??   I'd sure love to see some pics!  :D

Ayh @epiphyte, lol.. where you been hiding..  Any pictures from Huntington's show?

• Like 2

11 hours ago, epiphyte said:

Yes it was one of those great PT

coincidences and a pleasure to meet you. 

I did get to see a couple of amazing gardens last January. And I did take photos, but can’t recall posting them anywhere. I will add that to my rather lengthy to do list. Better to come to PR and see everything in person....

• Like 2

Cindy Adair

On 11/4/2019 at 3:41 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Ayh @epiphyte, lol.. where you been hiding..  Any pictures from Huntington's show?

Been trying to grow my local plant group on FB.  The goal is to connect all the crazy plant people in the Los Angeles area!  

At the Huntington Orchid Show I didn't take many pics.  Did take one pic of a nice Seidenfadenia orchid though!  Norm (Orchids.com) wanted $65 for it.  Wasn't a bad deal because there were multiple plants on the mount, but it's from the Philippines so the chances aren't very good that it can survive the winter here.  

20191020_144047.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

:greenthumb: Gotcha.  Just L.A. area plant geeks?, lol. 

Just curious since I hadn't seen any recent posts on your blog either..  Starting to wonder if you packed it all up and disappeared to an island somewhere:D

Looks like an interesting Orchid. See sometimes sold as an Aerides also.. and likes it warm. You planning on mounting it in one of your trees? 

Btw, what ever happened w/ the Vanilla  sp. you'd posted about quite sometime ago?  Asking because, in doing a curiosity search, saw some posts over on the Tropical Fruit Forum of people successfully growing/ flowering V. planifolia outdoors around S. Cal. And your old thread here from 2011.   Been putting together my future " To acquire, master Orchid list" ( up to 12 pages now ) and had  3 Vanilla sp. on it as well.  Diving headlong into the Orchid Dungeon once back in CA. Big focus on Catasetum Alliance stuff / Stanhopea... and 11 pages of other goodies. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 11/5/2019 at 5:09 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Been putting together my future " To acquire, master Orchid list" ( up to 12 pages now ) and had  3 Vanilla sp. on it as well.  Diving headlong into the Orchid Dungeon once back in CA.

Don't miss out on all the easy growing orchids in the Laelia family.  Mexican winter bloomers like this  Laelia gouldiana are beautiful for the holidays no matter which ones you celebrate around the solstice.

20191215-104A5268.jpg

20191215-104A5269.jpg

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Don't miss out on all the easy growing orchids in the Laelia family.  Mexican winter bloomers like this  Laelia gouldiana are beautiful for the holidays no matter which ones you celebrate around the solstice.

20191215-104A5268.jpg

20191215-104A5269.jpg

Oh  L. gouldiana ..and all the other Lealia are on my list for sure..   Had both L. anceps, and gouldiana for years before moving here.. Anceps flowered every year, Got flowers once on gouldiana. Yours looks great btw.  Various forms of Cattleya percivaliana, and Cat. trianae are other " Winter / Christmas - season" Orchids i'll be trialing also.

Edited by Silas_Sancona
edit
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2019 at 3:27 PM, Silas_Sancona said:

Had both L. anceps, and gouldiana for years before moving here.. Anceps flowered every year, Got flowers once on gouldiana. Yours looks great btw. 

Sure i've posted before but..

My L. anceps,  back in Bradenton. Licuala peltata v. sumawongii in  the background. Rip, both of them :(
1559765563_122415075272.thumb.jpg.f4ecbfe5ce172b6250f76a69b0d214bd.jpg

Dendrobium aggregatum.. Also back in Bradenton.  Throwing this one in because it should be another easy Dendrobium for anyone in most of CA.  Had this one for a couple years before it started flowering. Picked up as one of those tagged/bagged orchids in the houseplants section at the blue big box. Grew it like D. nobile types.
1067396834_022180005273.thumb.jpg.49f69a76dac2c59466fe86453f93893a.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/16/2019 at 2:10 PM, Tracy said:

Mexican winter bloomers like this  Laelia gouldiana are beautiful for the holidays no matter which ones you celebrate around the solstice. 

Three weeks later and still going strong with blooms!  A real winner.

20200107-104A5403.jpg

20200107-104A5404.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

A not so delicate small orchid with close up of the flower and the entire plant, Epidendrum (Nanondes) porpax.  It is a late winter to early spring bloomer very dependably and a good grower.  It is one that I try to keep reasonably moist but it doesn't seem to fuss about water quality as it always looks good even watered with off the spigot San Diego hard water for 4 years now.

20200212-104A5597.jpg

20200212-104A5596.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Cochlioda beyrodtiana in blossom.  Another gift my wife selected with a little help from Andy.  Native to Bolivia, Andy's recommendation is to grow it in cool to intermediate gardens which should match my shaded areas most years. 

20200214-104A5634.jpg

20200214-104A5637.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tracy said:

Cochlioda beyrodtiana in blossom.  Another gift my wife selected with a little help from Andy.  Native to Bolivia, Andy's recommendation is to grow it in cool to intermediate gardens which should match my shaded areas most years. 

20200214-104A5634.jpg

20200214-104A5637.jpg

Very nice Tracy, will have to add this to my list..

Proof of how much i wish i had some orchids, any orchids around:  Standing in the florist dept. at our neighborhood Safeway admiring a couple nice ( and fragrant ) Zygopetalum specimens on a shelf, contemplating buying one.. Knowing full well it would likely be dead by the end April, even in the house..  ( Sigh ) :rolleyes::D

Already know two nurseries i'll be visiting pretty regularly once out there.. lol..

• Like 2