IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

November 07 Thread

NBTX11

Absolutely beeeeautiful the first week of Nov in South Central TX, sunny every day, highs in upper 70s/low 80s, lows in 50s...

10 day forecast for San Antonio, TX:

Tonight

Oct 31  Clear 55°  

Thu

Nov 01  Sunny 79°/52°

Fri

Nov 02  Mostly Sunny 82°/57°

Sat

Nov 03  Partly Cloudy 82°/54°

Sun

Nov 04  Sunny 83°/55°

Mon

Nov 05  Sunny 83°/59°

Tue

Nov 06  Partly Cloudy 78°/53°

Wed

Nov 07  Sunny 79°/53°

Thu

Nov 08  Mostly Sunny 77°/54°  

Fri

Nov 09  Sunny 77°/58°

10 day weather thread for New Iberia, La.  Fall is typically dry and perfect temperatures in Louisiana.  Will stay like this typically till late December.  The tropical plants really start to shine all the way up to average first frost around Dec 15.  Lately, we have averaged maybe 10 days with a light frost and 5 days with a light freezes here in the garden.  One year we had neither.  Last year we dipped to 27 but only for a couple of hours.  Temps usually hang right near freezing and then dip between 4 and 6am, before immediately rising again.  Last year we had only 7 total hours for the winter below 32 degrees.  Winter here is January and February.  Most years last frost date is about Feb 15.  Some years we get a late March or even April freeze right after everything breaks out for spring, and that really sets things back a bit, but it is not that common.

Forecast Conditions High/Low °F Precip.

Chance  High Temperatures Low Temperatures Precipitation Wind Speed  

Today

Nov 1  Sunny

84°/56° 0%  

84°F

Fri

Nov 2  Sunny

78°/51° 0%  

78°F

Plan a Scenic Drive

Sat

Nov 3  Sunny

76°/48° 10%  

76°F

Sun

Nov 4  Sunny

76°/49° 10%  

76°F

Mon

Nov 5  Sunny

75°/57° 10%  

75°F

Plan a Scenic Drive

Tue

Nov 6  Few Showers

79°/48° 30%  

79°F

Wed

Nov 7  Sunny

76°/49° 10%  

76°F

Thu

Nov 8  Showers

74°/52° 60%  

74°F

Fri

Nov 9  Sunny

73°/55° 0%  

73°F

Sat

Nov 10  Mostly Sunny

79°/57° 0%  

79°F

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Looks like we all have something in common with the projected weather conditions.  Here's the 7-day forecast for Los Angeles [can't find 10-day on NWS  :(  

Today : 76 Sunny

Tonight : 57

Friday : 78 Sunny

Friday Night : 64

Saturday : 85 Sunny

Saturday Night : 64

Sunday : 85 Sunny

Sunday Night : 64

Monday : 84 Sunny

Monday Night : 52

Tuesday : 79 Sunny

Tuesday Night : 53

Wednesday : 75 AM Clouds/Sunny

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I should see my first 50's this weekend. I hate to admit that I am looking forward to it. I am sure I will be complaining when those 30's are forcast in about a month or so.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Happ - Something has changed radically from what was forecast. It looks like the rest of the week is a range from mid 60s to low 50s. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'd prefer a mild Santa Ana any day over this. Can't imagine the plants having any fun.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

(osideterry @ Nov. 05 2007,20:17)

Happ - Something has changed radically from what was forecast. It looks like the rest of the week is a range from mid 60s to low 50s. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I'd prefer a mild Santa Ana any day over this. Can't imagine the plants having any fun.

Yes Terry, the NWS got it wrong [believe it or not  :laugh:  Actually, all the computer models predicted a modest santa ana event but did not see a Pacific cut-off low ["cut-off low is a weatherman's woe"] spining towards California.  The "low" has won out and pushed marine air in.  It was quite nice up until today.  Looks like the low pressure system is too weak to produce rain as it eventually moves over California later in the week.  Until then, more of the same  :(

LA : 70/56

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

November so far, highs in 80s, lows in 50s:

H    L

1   81  55  

2  80  51  

3  81  58  

4  82  53

Today was in mid 80s, haven't seen official high...

Forecast, brief cool down tomorrow in 60s, then upper 70s and 80s with lows in 50s/60s.

7 day forecast:

Overnight: Patchy fog. Otherwise, partly cloudy early, then becoming cloudy, with a low around 61. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northeast.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 66. Northeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 50. East northeast wind around 10 mph.

Wednesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 73. East northeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southeast.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 54. South wind around 5 mph.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 78. South southeast wind around 5 mph.

Thursday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 61. East southeast wind around 10 mph.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 82. Southeast wind around 10 mph.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 63. South southeast wind around 10 mph.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 63.

Veterans Day: Mostly sunny, with a high near 79.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62.

Monday: Partly sunny, with a high near 78.

Tues 45/31

Wed  44/30

Thurs 50/34

Fri 48/33

Sat  55/37

Sun  57/47

Mon  65/46

Gotten a few frosts here, but have not gone below 32 yet.  I planted out several species just to see what temp fries 'em.  No damage to report so far on cocos, wodyetia, chamaerops, chamaedorea elegans, washingtonia filibusta, phoenix dactylifera, livistona chinensis,  pindo, windmill, or needle palms.

Although the pot farm had to be moved inside just because I figured the dirt would freeze quicker in a pot.

Its warm here, 94F yesterday with a 56F overlight low(yeah the desert can vary up to 40 degrees overnight when its dry). Humidity has been 12-25% relative.  Today a 92 high is forecast, tomorrow 91, then thursday we supposedly get a drop off to the low 80's.  My Bizzies, queens, butias, braheas, chamaerops and sabals continue to open spears.  This year seems like almost 7 months of 90+F highs.  No rain since sept except sprinkler/irrigation dripper rain.  Winds are almost nonexistent.  Funny how with a range of 56-94F during the day and bright sun its very comfortable most of the time, but too cool for swimming.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

Next two nights here are 42 and 41.  Yuck.  But back to the 80s for the weekend.  :-)

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yesterday was pretty hot, but less so than it seemed.  The offical high was 93F.  November is the month that transitions into the rainy season which starts in December normally.

Here are the present conditions.  No big change from yesterday.  But, then again big changes never occur here.

Current Weather Conditions

Eduardo Gomes International, Brazil

(SBEG) 03-02S 060-03W

Conditions at

2007.11.07 1100 UTC

Wind from the ESE (110 degrees) at 5 MPH (4 KT)

Visibility 3 mile(s)

Sky conditions mostly cloudy

Temperature 78 F (26 C)

Dew Point 73 F (23 C)

Relative Humidity 83%

Pressure (altimeter) 29.83 in. Hg (1010 hPa)

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

We got our first freeze.  It was 31.5F at my house this morning.  I've got a potted r. rivularis outside.  I'll have to see how it manages over these next couple weeks.  I don't really have a place for it inside anywhere where it would get enough light.  I may just leave it to the elements and replace next year.  They are so cheap at Home Depot, it's almost best to do that since I didn't get much growth out of it this year anyway.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

we have a freeze watch for tonight and possibly tommorow night:(

forcast low of 31- 33 depending on the source. this seems ridiculous considering thats the forcast for northern states such as ohio.

only zone 10 palms I have are my christmas palm and areca. which are under the carport tonight(pots) My Majesty palm from Lowes is lookng spectacular and it will stay outside in a spot close to the house in its 7gallon pot.

Im gonna bet my meter dopesnt drop below 34degrees or so as my location seems to be a bit warmer than the regional airport where the temps are recorded at. normal first freeze is mid novemeber so we are a bit early this year.

also very dry.

PS: the record low for this date is 30 degrees back in 1974....

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

It seems to be a trend recently of the weather service kind of sensationalizng the lows which never quite seem to come to pass.  That being said, I have been surprised in recent years to find out how much colder Talahasse can be than other places of the same latitude.  I follow a website based out of that area, www.floridata.com which has increased my awareness that you guys seem to be a solid Zone 8.

floridata is a good site.  The owner lives here in Town and does have a good bit of knowledge.

If we were along the coast the climate would be a bit more mild. Also the Tallahassee airport is the official weather station here.  It i located outside of town and seems to be in one of the colder microclimates around. I am only a few miles from it but record a few degrees  warmer on the coldest nights.(which is a lot when is come to freezes here)

my official low for last years winter was 23.4 while the airport logged 18/19degrees in feburary 07.

But i agree, it seems the sensationalize the freezing temps or anywhere near.  lot of people want it to frost over as they thinks its fun ???

???  ???

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

The coldest morning of the year by far at 50F at my house this AM.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I have got a very nice start of November, but from the beginning of this week we have got more rain and wind. Now the next day's to sunday we got heavy winds, today and tomorrow the most strongest winds.

The whole netherlands coast has sequirity now! The spell very high water along the coastline, stormflood. The last time that the whole coast has sequirity was in 1976. The night that is coming is not so restless.

The have also give Code Red for today.

NLTodaycolor2.gif

EuropeToday0color.gif

And for tomorrow

NLTomorrowcolor.gif

EuropeTomorrow0color.gif

Southwest

Robbin

Good luck  :o hope it doesn't flood

It is cloudy & cold today.  The nearness of the low pressure system produced thick overcast & prohibited afternoon warmth.

LA : 62/58

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Why are you guys so cold.  The heat is on here.  Low tonight is 62F.

Little cool yesterday, but nothing remotely resembling a freeze here, seems the bulk of the cold went east of here...

Tonight

Nov 08  Partly Cloudy 60° 10 %

Fri

Nov 09  Partly Cloudy 86°/64° 10 %

Sat

Nov 10  Partly Cloudy 86°/63° 20 %

Sun

Nov 11  Mostly Cloudy 84°/64° 20 %

Mon

Nov 12  Partly Cloudy 86°/65° 10 %

Tue

Nov 13  Isolated T-Storms 86°/60° 30 %

Wed

Nov 14  Scattered Showers 78°/59° 40 %

Thu

Nov 15  Partly Cloudy 82°/59° 10 %

Fri

Nov 16  Showers 79°/55° 60 %

Sat

Nov 17  Sunny 81°/54°

This morning the weather looked good, no clouds, no wind so I broke out my 4 gallon back pack sprayer and filled it w/round up.

By the time I was 99#% finished spraying it began to rain.  Where the hell did that come from???????

I hate rain in my desert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the weeds will grow even faster   :angry:   :angry:

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

HAD A MORNING LOW OF 46.5 TODAY HERE N.W OF TAMPA.

Scott   :cool:   Citrus Park FL. N.W Tampa   www.aroundmyhouse.com                                                                                                      

It's dropped below 10C (50F) for the first time this winter. It's 9C (48F) right now at 5AM...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Nov. 10 2007,07:56)

It's dropped below 10C (50F) for the first time this winter. It's 9C (48F) right now at 5AM...

Same here Jack (first time below 50F).  Its waming up fast here now, but did drop to 48.4F at 720AM.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Good to get out of chilly FL for awhile. It's 69 F in Austin, TX at 7:30 AM, on it's way to 84 today.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

We got our first frost on Tuesday Night - (34f - the coldest night of the year so far), but it was very patchy... I still have some small stuff outside (Dypsis Decaryii, Hibiscus, sagos) and so far everything came through with flying colors. The lows have been hovering around 38-42f consistantly with highs in the mid 50's..... just feels really damp & bone chilling, but it's actually been alot warmer than normal.. The leaves just started to turn colors less than a week ago with still alot of green around.. I hope we have a mild winter.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Warm and humid, highs in 80s, lows in mid/upper 60s.  Hope it lasts, but can't last forever.  Let the good times (warm weather) roll.

Drrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

After a brutal August and a wet Sept, Oct was very hot here. Many days over 90F and I actually recieved over 6" of rain. Now fall arrived. CHILLY nights the past week into the upper 40's, days beautiful and cloudless 70-76F and low humidity with not a cloud to be seen for 7 straight days! It is a nice break to get a lot of yard work, and potting/planting done. Watering is less frequent in the cool air and low sun angle. While I love the heat, it is a nice break! I am even keeping my tan....Greg in New Port Richey with 69.9F at 940am under another cloudless sky! Dry season  has arrived (not that summer was all that wet..)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

(BobbyinNY @ Nov. 10 2007,10:56)

We got our first frost on Tuesday Night - (34f - the coldest night of the year so far), but it was very patchy... I still have some small stuff outside (Dypsis Decaryii, Hibiscus, sagos) and so far everything came through with flying colors. The lows have been hovering around 38-42f consistantly with highs in the mid 50's..... just feels really damp & bone chilling, but it's actually been alot warmer than normal.. The leaves just started to turn colors less than a week ago with still alot of green around.. I hope we have a mild winter.

Hi Bobby!

Long time no see here ...

Robbin

Southwest

Can't beat the weather in Austin today--on the way to 87! Record is 89.

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Like summer here in LA the past couple days.  High temps around 30C (85F) and my low this morning was 20C (68F).

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Looks like I'm heading home to FL just in time--supposed to hit 36 tonight in Austin! Strong, cool winds yesterday afternoon erased the endless Summer. Oh well, it was great while it lasted...

_____

I think you are bringing it back with you  :P

Supposed to hit 36F in NE Hillsborough county come friday night. 38F all the way down into NE Manatee county. I am forcast for 45F that night..Brrrr....

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

It's cold, I don't want to be here.  Two nights of about -4°C (25°F).  Wake me up in April please.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Jimbean

Fantastic graphic  :P  wish local weather services provided the same for Cali

Inversion dropped to 1200' w/ heavy fog [visibility less than 50 ft/80.4 km early this morning.  A wet marine layer  :D

A typical waxing & waning/yin-yang of coastal air followed by continental easterly winds.  Humidity will plummet later this week  :o

NWS-LA 11-18-07 0300

TO MAKE   MATTER WORSE...MODELS SHOW EXTREMELY LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITIES    ACROSS MUCH OF THE AREA WED NIGHT THROUGH SUN.  A VERY PROLONGED    PERIOD OF EXTREMELY DRY CONDITIONS. THIS WILL BE A POTENTIALLY  SERIOUS SITUATION...ESPECIALLY IF WINDS DO INCREASE ADDITIONALLY  IN THE FRI TO SAT TIME-FRAME. THE ONLY SLIGHT BIT OF GOOD NEWS IS THAT THIS WILL NOT BE A WARM OFFSHORE EVENT...WITH TEMPS MAINLY  IN THE 50S AND 60S IN THE MTNS AND IN THE LOWER TO MID 70S IN THE VLYS AND IN CSTL SXNS.  

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It was actually a bit cool yesterday and today.  Maybe the winter rainy season is actually kicking in.  It is getting about that time of year.  This is about as cold as it gets around here, except for a real freak occurance where it may hit 60 F or so at night.

I also hope that this early cold spell up north is not a sign of things to come.  Does La Niña have any impact on the penetration of cold fronts south in North America?

Here is how it has been here at the lowland equator since midnight.

Nov18.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Cold air is descending on the nation including California  :o   Frost/freeze warnings are being issued for parts of NorCal & the high country in SoCal for tomorrow night.

Winds will pick-up later this wk & scour out the fog.  Good chance that night temps will drop below 50F/10c for first time since April.  Seasons are changing  :(

LA: 68/51

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23