• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal Sanctuary in East Texas

Sabal King

15 minutes ago, Allen said:

Great idea on keeping Sabals for the future!  Not trying to rain on the parade but I worry about the time to size up in a forest setting.  With competition from trees, etc the time for the Sabals to grow is way longer than realized.  If you can clear overhead competition and the palms can get plenty of water that will help.  Trunking time in a coastal forest with overhead trees is 10% at 42 years,  50% at 59 years for palmetto.  (McPherson & Williams 1996 Establishment Growth of Sabal palmetto).  Palms cared for with water, fertilizer, etc have a compounding affect over time that will make them trunk in a much shorter period.   

Precisely why I am going to let loggers clear and or thin pretty greatly that area here soon.  Initially I thought there were Sabals everywhere so I rules that out but now I have explored enough and can flag their areas off.  The loggers can either clear entirely or thin very much to just leave some of the smaller timber while leaving smaller stuff.  From there I can maintain things myself but now as it stands, I can’t do this myself it’s just too much.

• Like 2

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/sabalking.texas

• 3 weeks later...

Going out next week for spring break to clear out the area some more around the palms I planted, and am already planning the next round of planting...

PNGimage.thumb.png.806a186168c4d2f40a78f9ccdf16df49.png

Once I get this round done and more room cleared out (either with loggers or myself) I will start taking and planting things like

Sabal palmetto x causiarum

Sabal rosei

Sabal uresana (Augusta Rose)

Sabal DeFuniak springs

Sabal miamiensis

Phoenix canariensis

Brahea moorei

and so much more....  Thanks for following along, and for everyones' support... Look for updates next week!

• Like 5

Subscribe to my YouTube here  to follow along my Sabal obsession....  Quite possibly one of the biggest Sabal plantings in the US.

On 2/19/2024 at 3:24 PM, Sabal King said:

Precisely why I am going to let loggers clear and or thin pretty greatly that area here soon.  Initially I thought there were Sabals everywhere so I rules that out but now I have explored enough and can flag their areas off.  The loggers can either clear entirely or thin very much to just leave some of the smaller timber while leaving smaller stuff.  From there I can maintain things myself but now as it stands, I can’t do this myself it’s just too much.

Here's some more info. for you:

https://www.plantrealflorida.org/info/florida-ecosystems/sustaining-the-sabal-palm-floridas-state-tree/

• Like 1

Spent some time today, and got them planted as well as cleaned up the area.  Looks so much better already I’m more excited than I was last time!!!!

https://youtube.com/shorts/jX0DM61YA3I?feature=share

• Like 3

Wish I could remove my last post as I uploaded it wrong.... LOL sorry guys.  This is the full walk-through, not the one minute short.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Went back out and planted a few new palms and it sounds like, given some projects I will be back out there for a few days this upcoming week.  I plan on spending some time out there clearing and need to upload a video I did last time.... It's getting hard to keep up with the plantings here!!

I'll probably bring some more this time around, so come back and check out some more progress later on next week.  We haven't had any animals mess with anything, no matter how small so I just continue bringing Sabals out there, cleaning, and planting...

Links to the two part series of this trip below

Part 1 - 

Part 2 - 

- Sabal brazoriensis

IMG_0526.jpg.94905863a419b8a39364eaccd8c7a892.jpg

- Sabal causiarum

IMG_0537.jpg.0fc4feb78c1be8e15371d12ea1da73f9.jpg

- Sabal birmingham

IMG_0519.jpg.2d1eb21d7c41911f1881be6a7e1d13c6.jpg

- Sabal tamaulipas

IMG_0536.jpg.5ce390a27ebac84d6894e3963433ef94.jpg

- Phoenix canariensis

IMG_0520.jpg.deebe340f5708339cea7dfdc4070703f.jpg

- Phoenix theophrasti

IMG_0522.jpg.177e63151f200e21121e4762c03e25b3.jpg

- Sabal mexicana

IMG_0525.jpg.19aa5ce3fd9c901af14bfd6a315faaf2.jpg

We actually had a bit of a surprise and got a call last weekend from the loggers that they were going to start this Monday..... so they started clearing and thinning up at the front of the property, and when the branch dries out this summer they will get across the branch and get to this area.  This dream is moving along further and faster than I ever thought!

image.jpeg

• Like 5

Are you going to cut down the trees next to the "mother" sabal?

• Like 1

Zone 6b maritime climate

Do you amend your sabals when you plant them? or just directly in native soil with no amendments?

4 hours ago, Leelanau Palms said:

Are you going to cut down the trees next to the "mother" sabal?

Im going to have this entire seven acres logged but the area around the native stands and this planting area I’m doing I am marking off and will clear or thin myself….. so maybe…

3 hours ago, ZPalms said:

Do you amend your sabals when you plant them? or just directly in native soil with no amendments?

Nope.  Straight up sandy loam.  Maybe someday when I have a side by side I’ll bring some compost but for now it’s such a long walk and wagon pull down there it’s brutal lol…. The dirt seems to support Sabals so I am going to native all the way!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sabal King said:

Im going to have this entire seven acres logged but the area around the native stands and this planting area I’m doing I am marking off and will clear or thin myself….. so maybe…

Nope.  Straight up sandy loam.  Maybe someday when I have a side by side I’ll bring some compost but for now it’s such a long walk and wagon pull down there it’s brutal lol…. The dirt seems to support Sabals so I am going to native all the way!

Ooh awesome! maybe I'll do the same because my yard is the sandy loam too and I'm tired of amending soil. Thanks! 😁

Edited by ZPalms
  • Like 1

On 3/29/2024 at 10:25 PM, Sabal King said:

Maybe someday when I have a side by side I’ll bring some compost but for now it’s such a long walk and wagon pull down there it’s brutal lol…

Since you're on acreage I'm guessing you have at least a riding mower. A metal D shackle to connect your wagon handle to the mower will run $10 or less. Even if it won't ride across the branch it'll sure make hauling tools and dirt near the house easier. Might consider a couple cans of slime as the tires will surely get invisible punctures. 

On 4/1/2024 at 6:39 AM, 5am said:

Since you're on acreage I'm guessing you have at least a riding mower. A metal D shackle to connect your wagon handle to the mower will run $10 or less. Even if it won't ride across the branch it'll sure make hauling tools and dirt near the house easier. Might consider a couple cans of slime as the tires will surely get invisible punctures. 

yea ultimately, now that the loggers are here, they are widening, and in some places creating roads for me here.  When this is all completed, or when it's clear enough we'll begin the search for a side by side and that will help me get tools, palms, or really do anything around here.  No mower as the only grass I have right now is in my meadow and the neighbors horses come by periodically and help keep that short.

Soon enough once the groundwork is done here, I will have a reason to get some machines to get some more things done.

It will be really amazing once the branch dries up and the loggers can get across to fix that side up.  Seeing what they have already started doing over here, gets me excited about that side.

• Like 3

Great thread and project !!!!   I'm a sabal fan as well and I collect seeds from my S. Mexicana, S. Minor's each year and gorilla sow them in the greenspace, my subdivision has running through it.   I suspect I toss a couple thousand seeds each year....  now on my 4th year!   I'm hoping one day in the future, they'll be a few sabals growing throughout the greenspace.   The typical lack of rain in far-west Bexar county will probably be the determining factor on how many germinate over the years.

As for the hardiness factor previously discussed, I too can attest that the "highlands" uresana (I call it 'Sonoran Blue' per it's origin) is the hardiest sabal, and akin to the hardiness of S. Minor. and Palmetto.   During the artic outbreak, I had an overall low of 8F and the Sonoran Blue, Palmetto and Minors were the only sabals that had no damage at all (totally unprotected) !  I also have a S. Mexicana that must have some hybrid properties, as it only had minor (<20%) damage, vice the other Mexicana's in my yard and around the area that typically had 50% or more in damage!

Look forward to watching the project progress and seeing these great palms have a safe place to flourish !    Jv

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

On 4/2/2024 at 7:00 PM, iamjv said:

Great thread and project !!!!   I'm a sabal fan as well and I collect seeds from my S. Mexicana, S. Minor's each year and gorilla sow them in the greenspace, my subdivision has running through it.   I suspect I toss a couple thousand seeds each year....  now on my 4th year!   I'm hoping one day in the future, they'll be a few sabals growing throughout the greenspace.   The typical lack of rain in far-west Bexar county will probably be the determining factor on how many germinate over the years.

As for the hardiness factor previously discussed, I too can attest that the "highlands" uresana (I call it 'Sonoran Blue' per it's origin) is the hardiest sabal, and akin to the hardiness of S. Minor. and Palmetto.   During the artic outbreak, I had an overall low of 8F and the Sonoran Blue, Palmetto and Minors were the only sabals that had no damage at all (totally unprotected) !  I also have a S. Mexicana that must have some hybrid properties, as it only had minor (<20%) damage, vice the other Mexicana's in my yard and around the area that typically had 50% or more in damage!

Look forward to watching the project progress and seeing these great palms have a safe place to flourish !    Jv

Thank you.  This project is ambitious and possibly a little crazy, but I have more room than I know what to do with back here and eventually, while wild now, it will be tame, have paths, and be a destination.  Sooner I can get these sabals in the ground the more they can grow!  Appreciate your kind words and following along.