Jump to content
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Lyto


JohnAndSancho

Recommended Posts

I want to plant mine out in Spring. I think barring another wild winter event, it'll be ok here and I know it took Palmageddon to kill @Matt N- Dallas's. One question though - since I've been back at my mom's house AKA feral cat colony, it's been knocked over 3 times and had significant amounts of soil knocked out of the pot and I think some roots broken. Would this hinder it?

It's already been brought back inside a few times due to cold temps and rain, too, and I'm planning to protect it from the cats with one of those tomato wire cages.

 

I know that it being in a pot is also hindering growth, too and losing tons of soil def doesn't help. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/4/2024 at 7:49 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

I know it took Palmageddon to kill @Matt N- Dallas's.

I thought it survived if I mber correctly.

Mine is in absolute beast mode right now. Mine did well in a pot but grew out of pot sizes pretty quick. 

T J 

20231105_124526.jpg

  • Like 12
  • Upvote 2

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I thought it survived if I mber correctly.

Mine is in absolute beast mode right now. Mine did well in a pot but grew out of pot sizes pretty quick. 

T J 

20231105_124526.jpg

What size did yours start as? How low of a temp has it seen? Mine was shipped in a shock absorber box in 2021 and now it's in a 5g. Cats got the tallest fronds but it's good and rooty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, JohnAndSancho said:

What size did yours start as?

Had to look back thru my emails to Jog the memory. This particular one started off as an 8x12 which was well established. I had gotten a liner sized one before and I babied it to death haha This palm has seen 17° at its lowest which was really dry and it spear pulled. It was its first year in the ground so my guess it can go lower as a normal queen is good for only 19° normally. 

T J 

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

Had to look back thru my emails to Jog the memory. This particular one started off as an 8x12 which was well established. I had gotten a liner sized one before and I babied it to death haha This palm has seen 17° at its lowest which was really dry and it spear pulled. It was its first year in the ground so my guess it can go lower as a normal queen is good for only 19° normally. 

T J 

That makes me a little nervous, we saw 12° a few weeks ago and some spots reported 9°. Plus I think I'll need to buy one of those tomato cages to keep the stupid cats off of it, but that's whether it stays in a lot or not 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, JohnAndSancho said:

That makes me a little nervous

I think you will be able to protect for a couple years in the ground. Definitely isn't bulletproof for your area =/ 

T J 

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2024 at 6:16 PM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I think you will be able to protect for a couple years in the ground. Definitely isn't bulletproof for your area =/ 

T J 

Nothing is safe from these stupid cats 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/7/2024 at 8:29 AM, OC2Texaspalmlvr said:

I thought it survived if I mber correctly.

Mine is in absolute beast mode right now. Mine did well in a pot but grew out of pot sizes pretty quick. 

T J 

20231105_124526.jpg

What a Beauty !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2024 at 8:42 PM, Robbertico18 said:

What a Beauty !

I would agree ! Much nicer then your standard mule imo. So far it's also better looking then my BxPJT at similar size. I do believe the BxPJT will be better looking once both are trunking. 

T J 

20231105_124520.jpg

  • Like 4

T J 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 7:49 PM, JohnAndSancho said:

I want to plant mine out in Spring. I think barring another wild winter event, it'll be ok here and I know it took Palmageddon to kill @Matt N- Dallas's. One question though - since I've been back at my mom's house AKA feral cat colony, it's been knocked over 3 times and had significant amounts of soil knocked out of the pot and I think some roots broken. Would this hinder it?

It's already been brought back inside a few times due to cold temps and rain, too, and I'm planning to protect it from the cats with one of those tomato wire cages.

 

I know that it being in a pot is also hindering growth, too and losing tons of soil def doesn't help. 

My Butia x Lyto survived and continues to grow well. 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...