IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2024 Dallas Palm Survival Report

smatofu

4 nights of freeze: 9F, 7F, 9F, 14F

2x Windmill palms - survived, some fronds damage, but so far they look good (heated and wrapped trunks)

1x Mexican Sabal - 80% maybe more fronds damage, but green in the center crown. Looks like a survival.  (heated and wrapped trunk)

2x Sago - all green, no damage (all plants heated and wrapped)

1x Jelly palm - all green, no damage (all plants heated and wrapped)

1x Queen palm - all green, no damage (all plants heated and wrapped)

1x Pineapple palm - all green, no damage (bottom heated and wrapped)

1x Sabal minor - all green, no damage, no protection

Edited by smatofu
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, smatofu said:

4 nights of freeze: 9F, 7F, 9F, 14F

2x Windmill palms - survived, some fronds damage, but so far they look good (heated and wrapped trunks)

1x Mexican Sabal - 80% maybe more fronds damage, but green in the center crown. Looks like a survival.  (heated and wrapped trunk)

2x Sago - all green, no damage (all plants heated and wrapped)

1x Jelly palm - all green, no damage (all plants heated and wrapped)

1x Queen palm - all green, no damage (all plants heated and wrapped)

1x Pineapple palm - all green, no damage (bottom heated and wrapped)

1x Sabal minor - all green, no damage, no protection

Electricity sure does come in handy! Wasnt too helpful in 1989 or for 2021 for most Texans.

My Brother in Austin ( many palms ) and many of my palms along the Brazos had no power for 3 days. I was lucky, I had it off and on, but my garage still managed to hit 19F, so I lost plants that even I thought I was protecting that would have been warmer buried under the snow drifts....

Fred told about the power outages in 1989, and then there was always risk of ice and no power, so with a 7 day forecast of below 32F, I knew wrapping most things was illogical and a waist of time.

I have been following Ercot since the freeze, they sure have been very close to running out of power during the heat waves and cold snaps with extremes that are only going to increase ..... I am certain it will happen again. Austin area now has a ton of solar powered homes now, I just would have backup batteries before buying. Or just save, and plan on buying more palms eventually. 

• Like 1

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

[many of my palms along the Brazos had no power for 3 days.

A generator is needed for a backup.

• Like 1

I got both.  Solar with batteries and a gas generator.  I'm prepared.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Chester B said:

I got both.  Solar with batteries and a gas generator.  I'm prepared.

Yeah, I had a generator that was stolen out of the back of my truck. Also, in 2021, I never left house, I wasnt going to be plowing my driveway. No one plowed roads to get any gas. Typically here, a weather watch everything shuts down. I prefer hurricanes, I go storm chasing, but I have lived on the south shore of lake superior, done with snow. Lived up there in Zone 4 during the coldest winter on record, and also the snowiest on record. No longer in my 20s. No issue snow shoeing as long as it is on Lake Superior, even with a -70 windchill. Texas Zone 9, no thank you.

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

9 hours ago, Collectorpalms said:

No one plowed roads to get any gas. Typically here, a weather watch everything shuts down

Right!

2 solutions:

• multi-fuel generator: gasoline, propane, natural gas. They are not much more expensive.  For example, this one available at Costco: Firman 7500W Running / 9400W Peak Tri Fuel Generator. The point is that propane can be stored forever, never spoils.  If you have a NG connection, it is even better.
  • alcohol-free gasoline: available at some gas stations, Buc-ees... It can be stored for, I think, 2 years. Perfect for small engines like lawn mowers, trimmers, etc.

Always store the generator with empty gas tank!

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 8:46 AM, smatofu said:

Right!

2 solutions:

• multi-fuel generator: gasoline, propane, natural gas. They are not much more expensive.  For example, this one available at Costco: Firman 7500W Running / 9400W Peak Tri Fuel Generator. The point is that propane can be stored forever, never spoils.  If you have a NG connection, it is even better.
  • alcohol-free gasoline: available at some gas stations, Buc-ees... It can be stored for, I think, 2 years. Perfect for small engines like lawn mowers, trimmers, etc.

Always store the generator with empty gas tank!

Multi fuel is nice, propane stores pretty much infinitely. Pretty expensive to use long term. Non-ethenol gas is the only thing I purchase for any of my small engines, lawnmowers, chainsaw etc... fortunately it widely available around here. Not sure if it because of the Lake and all the boaters or why but you certainly don't need to hunt very hard for it around here. 

NG is great if you have it, and I do have it at my house. I do seem to recall reading that NG wasn't working either in Texas during the big freeze, I might be mistaken on that though. 

I have gone strictly diesel for home backup generator. The fuel stores ~ 2years without issue, I have a diesel tractor so always have fresh diesel on hand. They sip fuel in comparison to gas generators and will run weeks on end without flinching. I do like the battery backup like @Chester B has and it is something I have considered building into my emergency backup system. Just low on the to-do list right now. 

• Like 1

@RJ I doubt I would've bought the battery backup to be honest as its over $20k before installation and not including the solar panels, controllers, etc..  Not the best solution in summer because an AC will chew through it, unless you sparingly use the AC.  The house I bought had it installed by the previous owner a couple of years back, so it was a really great bonus.  I was looking to put in a whole home NG generator.  From what I read the supply was uninterrupted during palmageddon.

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

@RJ I doubt I would've bought the battery backup to be honest as its over $20k before installation and not including the solar panels, controllers, etc..  Not the best solution in summer because an AC will chew through it, unless you sparingly use the AC.  The house I bought had it installed by the previous owner a couple of years back, so it was a really great bonus.  I was looking to put in a whole home NG generator.  From what I read the supply was uninterrupted during palmageddon.

If it wasn’t interrupted then that’s the way to go for sure. I could have swore I read  on here that it was. I’m sure some locals can chime in and clear the air. 

I’ve done enough electrical work that I would do my own battery back up, but you’re right for 20k I wouldn’t go that route. I’m more interested in for load shedding. I have cheap electricity except for 3 hours of peak “demand” hours each day. In the winter it’s in the morning, in the summer it’s in late after. If you man age your loads around the time frames you can save a ton of money. My off demand rate is .05/kwh I think last I looked. When I first moved here it was .04/kwh . 

5 minutes ago, RJ said:

If it wasn’t interrupted then that’s the way to go for sure. I could have swore I read  on here that it was. I’m sure some locals can chime in and clear the air. 

I’ve done enough electrical work that I would do my own battery back up, but you’re right for 20k I wouldn’t go that route. I’m more interested in for load shedding. I have cheap electricity except for 3 hours of peak “demand” hours each day. In the winter it’s in the morning, in the summer it’s in late after. If you man age your loads around the time frames you can save a ton of money. My off demand rate is .05/kwh I think last I looked. When I first moved here it was .04/kwh . 

Yes you can schedule battery usage.  So if you are in an area with time of demand rates, at least with mine you enter that into your settings and it will optimize so that the battery is used primarily during that period.  You can also elect to go into Off Grid mode manually.  

Last month I averaged 47% power from the panels directly, 47% from the batteries and 7% from the grid.

So the system switches to batteries throughout the day to conserve costs.  In the event of a power outage, the switchover is seamless.

16 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Yes you can schedule battery usage.  So if you are in an area with time of demand rates, at least with mine you enter that into your settings and it will optimize so that the battery is used primarily during that period.  You can also elect to go into Off Grid mode manually.  

Last month I averaged 47% power from the panels directly, 47% from the batteries and 7% from the grid.

So the system switches to batteries throughout the day to conserve costs.  In the event of a power outage, the switchover is seamless.

Very cool, perhaps when you have a moment you can PM some of the manufacturers details. That does exactly what I’m looking for 👍

On 2/5/2024 at 2:43 AM, RJ said:

I do seem to recall reading that NG wasn't working either in Texas during the big freeze, I might be mistaken on that though. 

There was isolated incidents of this happening, but I believe they were accidentally shut off for fear of freezing. I wish I had NG at my new place but will have to settle for a propane tank instead 😕 

T J 

• Like 1

T J 

On 2/5/2024 at 9:40 AM, RJ said:

NG was uninterrupted for households. NG did not freeze.

The main thing about NG at time was that power plants that used NG had some parts frozen.  

• Like 1