Jump to content
IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

Spring 2024: What did you plant this week?


Xenon

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Dwarf Fan said:

Are they from Patrix?

Yep

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spring 2024: What did you plant this week?

I'm waiting for Spring 2024 to report on my plantings for that period.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am still trying to acclimate these to the sun before putting them in the ground.  Today's sun is the first sun in over a week so it's making the acclimation a bit trickier!  From right to left is Livistona alfredii, Tritrinax acanthocoma, Phoenix roebelenii x loureiroi and Chrysalidocarpus pembana.  All I have grown from seed except for the pembana (I do have several smaller seedlings that I germinated but are still too small).

 

IMG_20240122_140740.jpg

  • Like 8

Jon Sunder

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have a few in containers that I will plant in a couple of months. I will hold off ….for now. I hope to have at least two of five Wodyetia’s ( 5 gallon) survive and a couple of other smaller palms that I dug up from behind my A.C. Unit on the side of my house , volunteers from some of my Chamaedoreas and I dunno how in the heck they got back there. I also divided some Rhapis Excelsia that was getting into my pathway. A friend gave me some seed from his Wodyetia and I just planted them in the ground and a couple in 1 gallon containers , one came up a couple of months ago , but I ain’t moving that one . The Wody seeds that I put in containers haven’t surfaced yet. This is the only Wodyetia that germinated so far. 

IMG_3655.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well , I have changed my mind again and that for a reason . I have two Queens that survived but look like crap . Not all fried but just look like crap.  It takes till late FALL to see a decent looking crown.  Originally I wanted to plant a Mule palm in front of my house , not anymore.   When the polar vortex was headed our way the forecast was a roller coaster going from 14f to 19f . My area most likely ended up with a low of 18f .Got lucky !  But I was glued to the phone checking the weather every hour like people in Florida checking NHC from May to November. Maybe I'm too old , boring or lazy but the Queens I have are going to be relocated to a place where I can forget about it. Me personally I like it simple,now so my plan is to plant two more Cali fan palms in my yard that I'm already growing in a pot.  My California fan palms in the back of the house look completely undamaged . Our winter in SoCen Texas are very unpredictable.  I'm not going to plant a palm that I need to protect anymore.  I'll stick with 100% bulletproof palms from now on.  Washies recover so fast in May you'll forget that there was any cold event. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/21/2024 at 5:54 PM, Chester B said:

A couple of them have more filifera traits to them, so we'll see what happens.  I did harvest some seed from a filifera in Phoenix so plan on germinating them.  I very much so prefer filifera over robusta but getting a pure one seems to be a tall order.  These are more of "filler palms" to give me something of size relatively quickly while my slower Sabals and hybrids will be slowly chugging along.

You should just stop by here in SA . The vast majority of Washies here are Filifera.  I grabbed seeds from a few palms at the Riverwalk not too long ago. These palms saw multiple extreme weather conditions from cold to hot. The Texas Filiferas are most likely hardier than the ones from the Southwest because of our temperature lows we get from time to time. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MarcusH said:

You should just stop by here in SA . The vast majority of Washies here are Filifera.  I grabbed seeds from a few palms at the Riverwalk not too long ago. These palms saw multiple extreme weather conditions from cold to hot. The Texas Filiferas are most likely hardier than the ones from the Southwest because of our temperature lows we get from time to time. 

Yeah I saw a ton of them the other week when I spent my last night on the road getting here.  I wanted to grab some but it was night and just didn't have the energy after being in the car for close to 10 hours.  I did grab a few seeds from some in Phoenix, so hopefully they turn out.

There are a ton of Robusta leaning hybrids in my neighborhood so I think these will likely be fine either way.  I have two that are more robusta like and three with fat little trunks, so it will be interesting to watch them all grow up.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Planted non palms. Bulbs like amaryllis, daffodils, tulips etc.. Still waiting on the city to bulldoze front yard for new sidewalk and waterline. I do not think they are ever going to get to it, so it is hard to plan what It will look like with most everything gone, before starting over.

Once the rain stops, I may try and clean up my property from all the death and heat related projected, I never completed.

My potted Cycads hybrid collection is doing well. Included one from Xenon. 

  • Like 4

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Chasing the sun planting this today but the king palm is in!!! Next to the jaboticaba and the Thai Monstera, pumping up the tropical factor a ton. One day the jabo will be fruiting and the view is going to be killerrrrrrr. So happy guys 😆

 

PXL_20240207_235551022.thumb.jpg.4e62db22d8a29dec2cd01cb304716f32.jpg

PXL_20240207_235715235.thumb.jpg.e1787a25085a1f8454b721e934be5769.jpg

PXL_20240207_235819382.thumb.jpg.2b79142bc541fe76bdad4918366591b2.jpg

  • Like 5

Jonathan

Katy, TX (Zone 9a)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm stuck planting new irrigation heads, a fence and patio.  Until that happens, my palms are stuck lingering in their pots.

On a positive note I do have 5 needle palms on the way from Florida.  They may be one of the hardiest palms, but I still love them, especially when they get huge.  Haven't seen one around here yet.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I'm stuck planting new irrigation heads, a fence and patio.  Until that happens, my palms are stuck lingering in their pots.

On a positive note I do have 5 needle palms on the way from Florida.  They may be one of the hardiest palms, but I still love them, especially when they get huge.  Haven't seen one around here yet.

Maybe some drip line?

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nothing yet! Impatiently waiting for all the frost and freezing to pass 😭

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Allen said:

Maybe some drip line?

I may convert a couple of the heads to that.  Right now a whole crew of people were here looking at it.  Sounds like the whole irrigation system is in poor shape.  What I've been told by numerous people here is that you actually have to water the ground, to keep it moist.  Otherwise this "gumbo clay" dries up and cracks and can damage your foundation.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Chester B said:

I may convert a couple of the heads to that.  Right now a whole crew of people were here looking at it.  Sounds like the whole irrigation system is in poor shape.  What I've been told by numerous people here is that you actually have to water the ground, to keep it moist.  Otherwise this "gumbo clay" dries up and cracks and can damage your foundation.

You can change one zone (Valve) to a drip system if you have a valve box near where you are doing beds and lay drip line throughout bed later then you can run the system on your irrigation controller.  You can't water thick vegetation well on a spray

https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/hunter-0-5-15-gpm-drip-zone-assembly-1-in-fpt-pcz-101-25

https://www.dripdepot.com/half-inch-polyethylene-pressure-compensating-drip-line-emitter-spacing-18-inch-flow-rate-one-gallons-per-hour-roll-length-100-feet

Consider a wifi controller to make life easy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ864Y9/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAbEE&th=1

 

Edited by Allen
  • Like 1

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

I may convert a couple of the heads to that.  Right now a whole crew of people were here looking at it.  Sounds like the whole irrigation system is in poor shape.  What I've been told by numerous people here is that you actually have to water the ground, to keep it moist.  Otherwise this "gumbo clay" dries up and cracks and can damage your foundation.

It’s true. If you have a certain clay, it will crack your foundation if you do not water evenly around your foundation.

I have a huge crack now because my new neighbor did not water their yard during the last two droughts. Zero property line. 
My former neighbor always kept it green with perfect Saint Augustine grass for 25 years. Then bam! New College kid moved in that parents bought, killed his grass and every plant, by not turning on sprinklers. They eventually just pulled all the plants out. St Augustine grass is pretty nice, but it has to be kept moist, once it dries up it’s dead for good. Bermuda is better for drought, but it gets into every flower bed, and impossible to control and pull. 

  • Like 2

Current Texas Gardening Zone 9a, Mean (1999-2024): 22F Low/104F High. Yearly Precipitation 39.17 inches.

Extremes: Low Min 4F 2021, 13.8F 2024. High Max 112F 2011/2023, Precipitation Max 58 inches 2015, Lowest 19 Inches 2011.

Weather Station: https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KTXCOLLE465

Ryan (Paleoclimatologist Since 4 billion Years ago, Meteorologist/Earth Scientist/Physicist Since 1995, Savy Horticulturist Since Birth.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, Allen said:

You can change one zone (Valve) to a drip system if you have a valve box near where you are doing beds and lay drip line throughout bed later then you can run the system on your irrigation controller.  You can't water thick vegetation well on a spray

https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/hunter-0-5-15-gpm-drip-zone-assembly-1-in-fpt-pcz-101-25

https://www.dripdepot.com/half-inch-polyethylene-pressure-compensating-drip-line-emitter-spacing-18-inch-flow-rate-one-gallons-per-hour-roll-length-100-feet

Consider a wifi controller to make life easy

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZ864Y9/?tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AwEAAAAAAAAAAbEE&th=1

 

I ran drip at my last house.  I was surprised at how well everything stood up.  I would usually have on or two broken fittings in spring, usually because I stepped on them, but was pretty easy to maintain.  This is a professionally laid system over the entire property, and its a mess.  it does a have a wifi controller in the garage.  I just received the quote to fix it, and I'm not sure if I even want to bother.  Never had one before, and got along just fine.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay I caved into the peer pressure. 
 

@MarcusH avert your eyes!

 

IMG_8962.jpeg

IMG_8963.jpeg

IMG_8965.jpeg

IMG_8966.jpeg

IMG_8967.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Chester B said:

Okay I caved into the peer pressure. 
 

@MarcusH avert your eyes!

 

IMG_8962.jpeg

IMG_8963.jpeg

IMG_8965.jpeg

IMG_8966.jpeg

IMG_8967.jpeg

Looking good buddy . It's too cold over here in San Antonio for Queens and tender palms. We're a warm 8b and not a 9a .For the Queen replacement I have my 2 Filiferas already planted two weeks ago . There are still very small though ( 12" max. height) So far counting 3 Filiferas ( 12" , 35" , 45" ) planted in the backyard.  One Filifera ( 12" ) in the front yard and one Robusta ( 18"  clear trunk , no fronds at the moment ) also in the front yard.  I like to keep things trouble free and simple from now on . If I would have a bunch of money I would even plant Sabal Palmettos all over. Wrapping palm trees isn't my hobby lol , too much of a hassle for me. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, MarcusH said:

Looking good buddy . It's too cold over here in San Antonio for Queens and tender palms. We're a warm 8b and not a 9a .For the Queen replacement I have my 2 Filiferas already planted two weeks ago . There are still very small though ( 12" max. height) So far counting 3 Filiferas ( 12" , 35" , 45" ) planted in the backyard.  One Filifera ( 12" ) in the front yard and one Robusta ( 18"  clear trunk , no fronds at the moment ) also in the front yard.  I like to keep things trouble free and simple from now on . If I would have a bunch of money I would even plant Sabal Palmettos all over. Wrapping palm trees isn't my hobby lol , too much of a hassle for me. 

You should really get some Brahea armata.  They would do great in your climate and add another color to the garden.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Chester B said:

You should really get some Brahea armata.  They would do great in your climate and add another color to the garden.

What's the cold tolerance of that palm , remember it gets down to 15F.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

What's the cold tolerance of that palm , remember it gets down to 15F.  

B. armata is a great palm for zone 8 temps, should be able to take that 15F, in fact I know so. I've seen them around S.A. 

  • Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

HomeDepot had queen palms in today for $20, they're 4-5 feet tall.  I caved (again) and bought one, but this will be the control palm as I have Santa Catarina and a Littoralis queens that I have been growing up.  I plan on sticking all along the same side of my yard so they'll have similar conditions.  The HD one is larger so if it burns and these other don't that will be some interesting data.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m waiting also for spring temps to hit the PNW to assess the damage done to my yard..Thinking of getting out of this palm business as it’s been too brutal the last couple of winters. Lost so many varieties to the point where it’s useless with the unpredictable PNW weather. Sticking with Trachys as they are the only ones to stand up to this climate. Will still be around PalmTalk to see your beautiful palm trees 🌴 Who knows if our winters become warmer may get back in the Palm growing game again!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Put a waggie in the ground today! The picture is deceiving it’s bigger than it looksIMG_9222.thumb.jpeg.cfcc2c89c52f6b73eb7d2c1ac45191e1.jpeg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just waiting for the tropicals to arrive to chicago.. AHEM.. april and may.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, teddytn said:

Put a waggie in the ground today! The picture is deceiving it’s bigger than it looksIMG_9222.thumb.jpeg.cfcc2c89c52f6b73eb7d2c1ac45191e1.jpeg

Where did you get it? Looks great!

What is the palm behind it?

Edited by Leelanau Palms
  • Like 1

Zone 6b maritime climate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well went to HD for some lights and they got me! They had some spindles which they never have (only ever bottles) so I made it my patio palm until I find a permanent home for it. 

PXL_20240211_185947930.jpg

  • Like 4

Jacksonville Beach, FL

Zone 9a

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/9/2024 at 7:31 PM, Chester B said:

HomeDepot had queen palms in today for $20, they're 4-5 feet tall.  I caved (again) and bought one, but this will be the control palm as I have Santa Catarina and a Littoralis queens that I have been growing up.  I plan on sticking all along the same side of my yard so they'll have similar conditions.  The HD one is larger so if it burns and these other don't that will be some interesting data.

Since ik your in Summerwood, a great nursery for "pushing it" palms as well as all the phoenix sp, + bismarkia, adonidia, coconuts, super tropicals, and hardy ones like braheas and jubeas, butia etc is Nautilus Nursery in kingwood/humble area, 21837 highway 59 n, Kingwood, TX 77339

  • Like 1

Lucas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Little Tex said:

Since ik your in Summerwood, a great nursery for "pushing it" palms as well as all the phoenix sp, + bismarkia, adonidia, coconuts, super tropicals, and hardy ones like braheas and jubeas, butia etc is Nautilus Nursery in kingwood/humble area, 21837 highway 59 n, Kingwood, TX 77339

I actually went there in December when I was flew down here to buy a house.  I've been looking forward to going back there.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Chester B said:

I actually went there in December when I was flew down here to buy a house.  I've been looking forward to going back there.  

oh yeah you def need to go when they have the spring stock

  • Like 1

Lucas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We are still in the low forties here. Some days upper 30’s but up on my hill I am 3-4 degrees warmer . It is still too cold right now and there is another round of rain coming our way by the weekend. Status quo for my potted friends , maybe start digging a couple of holes next month. I really hope my Wodyetia’s hold on . I have had terrible luck with them. I bought 5 of them late last year for a clearance sale price from a private grower and at least two of them look like they will be fine so I will leave them in the 5gal. containers. It is hit or miss with them around here. Last year I waited to plant my Livistona Australia and it paid off. I just went down the hill and cleared around the base of the palm and it has really done well down there with all the rain. It was so sad when I got it . Harry

Edited by Harry’s Palms
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have relatives in Tomball that I plan to visit. I would like to plant a palm in their yard while there. They have boys and dogs. What should I plant?

Zone 6b maritime climate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Officially got my first two palms in the ground in. Texas. It’s a huge yard so it’s baby steps at this point. Two down and like 100 to go. 

IMG_9032.jpeg

IMG_9031.jpeg

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/10/2024 at 7:13 PM, southpacific73 said:

I’m waiting also for spring temps to hit the PNW to assess the damage done to my yard..Thinking of getting out of this palm business as it’s been too brutal the last couple of winters. Lost so many varieties to the point where it’s useless with the unpredictable PNW weather. Sticking with Trachys as they are the only ones to stand up to this climate. Will still be around PalmTalk to see your beautiful palm trees 🌴 Who knows if our winters become warmer may get back in the Palm growing game again!

I agree with you the last few winters have been pretty cold . I've come across this article where it explains the impact of solar activity and it appears to be that we're in a cold cycle for quite some time.  I look if I can find that article again.  We aren't blessed in Texas either.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, MarcusH said:

I agree with you the last few winters have been pretty cold . I've come across this article where it explains the impact of solar activity and it appears to be that we're in a cold cycle for quite some time.  I look if I can find that article again.  We aren't blessed in Texas either.  

https://www.livescience.com/61716-sun-cooling-global-warming.html

Here's the article.  I'm not a scientist or have any knowledge about solar cycles but I thought it was interesting since the sun has an impact on our climate.  There's also another artice published from an official government agency that shows the rapid increase in sun spots since 2020 but so far the winters have been I would say normal . We're are just spoiled of decades long milder winter temperatures.  I'm in zone 8b here in San Antonio so technically temperatures from 15f to 20f are normal.  If you don't want to worry about protecting your palms and all that just pick a palm that can withstand the ultimate lows that you have seen the past 30 years.  After a few cold winters I've decided to stop to zone push and plant palms that grow here for many decades.  Sure ,each to their own if replanting palms and other plants aren't a big deal for you.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/15/2024 at 6:05 AM, MarcusH said:

I agree with you the last few winters have been pretty cold . I've come across this article where it explains the impact of solar activity and it appears to be that we're in a cold cycle for quite some time.  I look if I can find that article again.  We aren't blessed in Texas either.  

Yes you guys have had it bad in the  last couple of winters like us! Thought Texas would be safe being so far south but I guess not but you do have the Gulf of  Mexico to push in warmer air for plants to recover.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, southpacific73 said:

Yes you guys have had it bad in the  last couple of winters like us! Thought Texas would be safe being so far south but I guess not but you do have the Gulf of  Mexico to push in warmer air for plants to recover.

We are cursed lol.  We aren't as blessed as most parts in Florida and California where you can plant so many different kind of palms.  The cold air can reach as far as the Rio Grande Valley . We're prone to cold winter outbreaks.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...