IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bird’s Nest fern hardiness

NC_Palms

Today I bought a bird’s nest fern at a local nursery. Does anyone have any data on how cold hardy these are? I saw one on Hilton Head a few years back and I would love to see if I could get it to survive here in zone 8 NC

• Upvote 1

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

They won't survive zone 8. Yours is probably A. nidus, which is very tender. A. antiquum, which looks similar but isn't super closely related is the most hardy of the birds nest ferns - and it wants a stable z9b or warmer.

1 hour ago, thyerr01 said:

They won't survive zone 8. Yours is probably A. nidus, which is very tender. A. antiquum, which looks similar but isn't super closely related is the most hardy of the birds nest ferns - and it wants a stable z9b or warmer.

Cool thanks. Makes sense to why Hilton Head is now considered zone 9b. 

Im probably just gonna put this BN fern in my frog enclosure. It will like the humidity and I am running out of space in my heated greenhouse lol 

• Upvote 2

Zone 8a/8b Greenville, NC 

Zone 9a/9b Bluffton, SC

16 minutes ago, NC_Palms said:

Cool thanks. Makes sense to why Hilton Head is now considered zone 9b. 

Im probably just gonna put this BN fern in my frog enclosure. It will like the humidity and I am running out of space in my heated greenhouse lol 

Anthurium or Asplenium? ( Fyi, Bird's Nest portion of Anthurium is tucked within it's own section, Pachyneurium )  Both Genera are commonly referred to as " Bird's Nest Ferns".. True that many Anthurium are tender, though there are " hardy / hardier " sp.  a few of which are grown outdoors in parts of S. Cal.. at least closer to the coast.  and in FL.. So, even if one of the tender-er sp, your typical humidity should be fine when you keep it outside.   Grew one up in San Jose ( Cooler winters / further in from the coast )  and it did fine, as long as i kept it in shade / moist on the hottest days.

Specimens offered for landscape application / planting. USF ( Tampa ) Fall Plant Sale, 10 /11/ '14: 

SAM_3531.thumb.JPG.a4bf0ecac70064ffe85028cc0da7d88e.JPG

I'll have to find it again ..or just get another shot, but, appears some of these might take some heat too ..as long as they're in shade.. Were definitely one of the Bird's Nest Anthurium  sps.  Anyway, ..found a couple BIG, potted specimens growing under a covered porch in Alamos, Sonora while doing some recent street view recon. ..

While more humid -overall- , Alamos can get about as hot ( and dry ) as we do here in the April / Mid June timeframe,  before Monsoon season kicks in down there ( ~Roughly~ late - June, or about a week to 10 days before we start seeing rain,  on average.  ) About the same elevation as where i'm located ..above 1K ft.

15 minutes ago, Silas_Sancona said:

I'll have to find it again ..or just get another shot, but, appears some of these might take some heat too ..as long as they're in shade.. Were definitely one of the Bird's Nest Anthurium  sps.  Anyway, ..found a couple BIG, potted specimens growing under a covered porch in Alamos, Sonora while doing some recent street view recon. ..

While more humid -overall- , Alamos can get about as hot ( and dry ) as we do here in the April / Mid June timeframe,  before Monsoon season kicks in down there ( ~Roughly~ late - June, or about a week to 10 days before we start seeing rain,  on average.  ) About the same elevation as where i'm located ..above 1K ft.

Here we go..  Didn't see the kiddos planted in the ground on the far right last time..

Anthurium108FranciscoI.MaderoAlamosSonora.Mexico.thumb.jpg.213c9ffdef9e1f9c5b66edaa8e517525.jpg

Exact Address:  108 Francisco I Madero, Alamos, Son. Mex.  Captured  10 / '21

• Like 1

Asplenium scolopendrium is hardy enough but not sure about zone 8

previously known as ego

My Asplenium nidus is maybe 30 years old, it took a lot of freezes, the last and the heaviest was in 2018, -5°C, I thought it was gone, there was no green left, but it returned like tree ferns do. Though, I thing it is its ultimate limit

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tomas said:

My Asplenium nidus is maybe 30 years old, it took a lot of freezes, the last and the heaviest was in 2018, -5°C, I thought it was gone, there was no green left, but it returned like tree ferns do. Though, I thing it is its ultimate limit

In Indonesia where it is a native, it grows very slowly. I had one when I was living there and in 3 years I noticed almost no growth despite being in optimal conditions and receiving plenty of rain water. How slowly does it grow for you in Italy, especially losing its leaves in the winter? 

previously known as ego

10 minutes ago, Than said:

In Indonesia where it is a native, it grows very slowly. I had one when I was living there and in 3 years I noticed almost no growth despite being in optimal conditions and receiving plenty of rain water. How slowly does it grow for you in Italy, especially losing its leaves in the winter? 

Here it is when I transfered it to the garden. It doesn'l lose the leaves normaly, maybe some damage, but it keeps them, I do not observe it really closely, you can see the "trunk". Slugs are the big problem for me

275680430_4888270164589283_787259476365523124_n.jpg

Edited by Tomas
  • Like 2

I    grow t he Osaka birds nest fern in Jax without proble ms ---- also Asplenium kenzoi ----they are supposed to be cold hardy to 20°F

Asplenium antioctim.jpg

asplenium Osaka 1.jpg

asplenium Osaka 2.jpg

asplenium osaka.jpg

• Like 3