• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Washy after a short time at 21F . Is it still respectable , or are the fronds toast ?

WSimpson

I don't like it when I see temperatures below 24F since my Washy starts showing damage  below that temperature , but on the morning of November 30th I had a short period at 21F . I was 25F at about 5:00am and then the winds died and it dropped to 21F for an hour or so  before moving back up  . I'm pleased to know that that Washy can take a quick dip to 21F and still look respectable . 

Before below 24F :

IMG_4140.thumb.jpeg.eb940997726cb9dae82bbc43f6bd6f07.jpeg

It's good to know that it doesn't get totally bronzed  out  by a SHORT   period  below 24F . Maybe I'll get into January with it looking respectable now that it got through the first cold snap   :

IMG_4169.thumb.jpeg.9ea2f3435a96a42ee34fc18aa5c29349.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, BigBilly said:

Looks good 👍

Thanks Big Billy . Are you sure you aren't an 8A ? What town are you near ? I'm now 8A but all around me are pockets of 7B . My 30 year average lowest Low is 11.2F .

34 minutes ago, Will Simpson said:

Thanks Big Billy . Are you sure you aren't an 8A ? What town are you near ? I'm now 8A but all around me are pockets of 7B . My 30 year average lowest Low is 11.2F .

I'm on the 7B side of the 7B / 8A line in Statesville, According to the NWS station but my neighborhood is around 2F warmer 90% of the time. 

Edited by BigBilly

Looks great! I'm hoping we make it with green fronds through January! Got mine all decorated for Christmas, so I need them to stay green at least until then😆

On 12/6/2023 at 7:55 PM, SeanK said:

Looks good so far. Still, January is not too far off. Will you wrap it or is it too big?

I'll wrap it if I see temperatures getting below 15F . Some winters I don't need to protect it .

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Virginia Palmetto said:

Looks great! I'm hoping we make it with green fronds through January! Got mine all decorated for Christmas, so I need them to stay green at least until then😆

Mine has so much robusta in it I doubt I'll ever have a winter where the fronds are green throughout the entire winter .I would have to have a winter with the lowest Low of 23-24F . That's never happened here in my experience . 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

I'll wrap it if I see temperatures getting below 15F . ...

That must be a ton of fun, or do you wrap in advance based on the projected forecast.

7 hours ago, Will Simpson said:

Mine has so much robusta in it I doubt I'll ever have a winter where the fronds are green throughout the entire winter .I would have to have a winter with the lowest Low of 23-24F . That's never happened here in my experience . 

I'd really like to try a robusta seeing how it's done so well for you but i can't find any just yet