Jump to content
  • WELCOME GUEST

    It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

    Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

    PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

    guest Renda04.jpg

5 canadian indoor beauties


Philly J

Recommended Posts

Ugly current configuration but we moved inside recently here in zone 2 and me and the missus are working on it 🥰

Howea Forsteriana 

Nannorrhops Ritchiana

Archontophoenix Cunninghamiana

Sabal Minor

Licuala Grandis 

 

98A848E1-2315-4A2C-8069-C268122C3841.jpeg

Edited by Philly J
Missed the pic
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

If I were growing palms indoors, I wouldn't keep 2/3/4 from your list. I would look to smaller plants, like Chamaedorea, Hyophorbe, and Rhapis.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, SeanK said:

If I were growing palms indoors, I wouldn't keep 2/3/4 from your list. I would look to smaller plants, like Chamaedorea, Hyophorbe, and Rhapis.

I dunno man, his collection is pretty amazing considering they have to be inside 10 months out of the year. You should check out his other threads and his YouTube. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, SeanK said:

If I were growing palms indoors, I wouldn't keep 2/3/4 from your list. I would look to smaller plants, like Chamaedorea, Hyophorbe, and Rhapis.

they have been in and out many years now 😉 you should check out my Chamaedorea Metallica and Hyophorbe Verschaffelltii and Rhapis Excelsa.  Pics are on the forum in various threads.  🥰

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/31/2023 at 12:37 PM, SeanK said:

If I were growing palms indoors, I wouldn't keep 2/3/4 from your list. I would look to smaller plants, like Chamaedorea, Hyophorbe, and Rhapis.

Why though? If it makes them happy and the palms are happy (which they really do seem happy) then why not?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2023 at 11:58 AM, PottedPalmPatio said:

Why though? If it makes them happy and the palms are happy (which they really do seem happy) then why not?

It’s because those three genus he listed are not as forgiving to normal household conditions (low RH maybe cooler temps and lower lighting), and I totally agree with that assessment.  It’s true that if I wasn’t keeping it warmer and having grow bulbs on them, they wouldn’t make it or at the very least they would look terrible.  But since palms are the only type of plant I keep and I’m obsessed with them I go out of my way to give them what they require when indoors 👍🏻🥰

 

he just didn’t know how crazy dedicated I am to specifically indoor palm care (because I live in zone 2).  Here is my current collection:

3986E5E7-B21B-4802-8E01-5172D7C676BE.jpeg

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/3/2023 at 12:06 PM, Philly J said:

It’s because those three genus he listed are not as forgiving to normal household conditions (low RH maybe cooler temps and lower lighting), and I totally agree with that assessment.  It’s true that if I wasn’t keeping it warmer and having grow bulbs on them, they wouldn’t make it or at the very least they would look terrible.  But since palms are the only type of plant I keep and I’m obsessed with them I go out of my way to give them what they require when indoors 👍🏻🥰

 

he just didn’t know how crazy dedicated I am to specifically indoor palm care (because I live in zone 2).  Here is my current collection:

3986E5E7-B21B-4802-8E01-5172D7C676BE.jpeg

Oh I know your dedication which is why I'm saying to let you live! Zone 2 is brutal for palms and you're an absolute legend for doing it.

Where I am everyone and their grandma has a fortunei on their property... Zone 2 you'll be a local legend.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...