• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Southern Hemisphere growing season 23/24

Tyrone

Christchurch did see a very near May record of -6C before it warmed again by dawn. Wonder how the Rhoopies at the Botanical Gardens are going there, if they are undamaged must be some of the hardiest ones in the world.  The city centre there does catch a little more coastal influence however so likely didn't see quite that temperature.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, cbmnz said:

Christchurch did see a very near May record of -6C before it warmed again by dawn. Wonder how the Rhoopies at the Botanical Gardens are going there, if they are undamaged must be some of the hardiest ones in the world.  The city centre there does catch a little more coastal influence however so likely didn't see quite that temperature.

It would be interesting to see how the Christchurch BG went. 

Yesterday we hit 28.3C, then around 2pm a dead pine tree fell on my shadehouse and by 5pm we had a bit of rain on and off through the night. Itwas a warm night. Around midnight it was still 17C, but around 7am about 12.8C. It’s sunny today which will help in cleaning up my damaged shadehouse and tending to the injured in there. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Incredible, latitude 37'50" and half sky  up to directly overhead is growing red with the arora tonight.

20240511_205744.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cbmnz said:

Incredible, latitude 37'50" and half sky  up to directly overhead is growing red with the arora tonight.

20240511_205744.jpg

We are just heading down to the coast to take a look. It’s meant to be visible in about 40min from now. Real cool. 

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

21 minutes ago, Tyrone said:

We are just heading down to the coast to take a look. It’s meant to be visible in about 40min from now. Real cool. 

It's been naked eye visible right up to the top of NZ near 35S, quite amazing.

• Upvote 4

Last nights arora 

87B26400-6C0B-4729-86D5-F69B8E605937.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Only a week out from winter and we had a min of 6.5C (not unusual this late in May) and a max of 27.2C. This has been a warm May. 

• Like 2

The first few days of winter are going to be in the 20s C. Tomorrow we get to 15C before coming back to just above 20C. Very mild. 
Right now I’m listening to distant rolling thunder off over the ocean. Some decent rain is coming and the last couple of days of rain have wet the garden down nicely. 

Well and truely into the dry season now, can do some light work outside without having clothes being wringing wet. For me the rains stopped very suddenly in early April. Although just a kilometre away they got two storms of around 50mm each for the month (April) causing a big surge in the river level.

Rainfall for May was zero, average is 18.5mm (first month of the official dry season). Average minimum temp for the month was 21.8, average maximum 35.0, and now with the start of June it's cooling down and dry until at least September.

forecast240601.thumb.jpg.eda85086f3b9efc9a9ac26e857782ecf.jpg

On 6/1/2024 at 8:20 AM, tropicbreeze said:

Well and truely into the dry season now, can do some light work outside without having clothes being wringing wet. For me the rains stopped very suddenly in early April. Although just a kilometre away they got two storms of around 50mm each for the month (April) causing a big surge in the river level.

Rainfall for May was zero, average is 18.5mm (first month of the official dry season). Average minimum temp for the month was 21.8, average maximum 35.0, and now with the start of June it's cooling down and dry until at least September.

forecast240601.thumb.jpg.eda85086f3b9efc9a9ac26e857782ecf.jpg

I see a few mins below 20C. Better get the doona out of storage. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2024 at 7:48 PM, cbmnz said:

https://www.1news.co.nz/2024/06/06/new-zealand-has-experienced-its-coldest-may-in-15-years-niwa/

I think April was really cool as well. No frosts where I am here in Dunedin but its been quite gloomy. Winter has been better weather so far with more sun and higher temps. 

• Upvote 1

It’s technically winter now, but we had a minimum of 15C today and a max of 22.8C with around 6mm of rain. I’m hoping for a mild frost free winter but there’s a lot of winter to go yet. 

On 6/6/2024 at 10:52 PM, Tyrone said:

It’s technically winter now, but we had a minimum of 15C today and a max of 22.8C with around 6mm of rain. I’m hoping for a mild frost free winter but there’s a lot of winter to go yet. 

You get warm temperatures there in winter and spring that NZ upper NI never sees but extreme minimum for the year is simillar.

I see the value now of letting these lady finger develop on the plant for as long as possible, these have grown to the proportions of supermarket bananas, just shorter. Thanks for the tip, Palmcode I think it was. 

20240609_103414.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cbmnz said:

You get warm temperatures there in winter and spring that NZ upper NI never sees but extreme minimum for the year is simillar.

I see the value now of letting these lady finger develop on the plant for as long as possible, these have grown to the proportions of supermarket bananas, just shorter. Thanks for the tip, Palmcode I think it was. 

Those are looking good mate. Hopefully these ones will taste much better.

• Like 1

17c here today, and its been cloudy and drizzling for 3 days but generally warm. It looks there there could be some heavier rain coming tonight/tomorrow. Good growing weather for the cloudy forest palms at least this time of year.

20240609_142324[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 6/5/2024 at 8:06 AM, Tyrone said:

I see a few mins below 20C. Better get the doona out of storage. 

It's all relative. But, over the past few days I have heard that word "doona" mentioned a few times.

• Upvote 1