IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachy F. Recovery From Sudden Christmas Freeze

GregVirginia7

Removed a few more terminal fronds from this past winter…I guess my biggest wake up was sudden freeze v. gradual acclimation into winter…if the weather scenario happens again, all I can do is protect the crown and the emerging spears from exposure damage… this will go a long way to getting a more aesthetic recovery as the exposed spears got fried on the exposed portions and they show it… live and learn! I think by the end of the season, all the 2022 winter fronds will be gone and it will have replaced about 2/3rds of them…great palm for sure. Let’s see what El Niño has to bring…🤔😳😂

image.thumb.jpg.bd1a7bef05bd67c9a2fc75f88bfcca09.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, GregVirginia7 said:

Let’s see what El Niño has to bring…🤔😳😂

I'm hoping for a couple of above 10F winters to get some real nice growth back too.  Palm is looking great

YouTube https://www.youtube.com/@tntropics - 60+ In-ground 7A palms - (Sabal) minor(7 large + 27 seedling size, 3 dwarf),  brazoria(1) , birmingham(4), etonia (1) louisiana(5), palmetto (1), riverside (1),  (Trachycarpus) fortunei(7), wagnerianus(1),  Rhapidophyllum hystrix(7),  15' Mule-Butia x Syagrus(1),  Blue Butia capitata(1) +Tons of tropical plants.  Recent Yearly Lows -1F, 12F, 11F, 18F, 16F, 3F, 3F, 6F, 3F, 1F, 16F, 17F, 6F, 8F

4 minutes ago, Allen said:

I'm hoping for a couple of above 10F winters to get some real nice growth back too.  Palm is looking great

Thank you…I remember you commenting on my optimism after the flash freeze…I went back and looked at pictures right after and I was so fooled. Everything looked great but the damage you predicted showed up shortly thereafter…only thing is, Allen, this palm has been through way worse for much longer duration and I never got those little holes in the segments nor did I get the overall damage…I guess it was just such a combination of factors that it’s hard to apply an outcome to every situation…but I know now…mild winter to single digits to mild winter is a disaster for cold hardy palms…but I will make sure to light up the crown this winter and cover the exposed spikes with thick socks…I’ll build the “shroud” again for the Chamaerops, too. It only makes sense…under normal circumstances, cold hardy palms need time to acclimate to the cold…if weather patterns don’t comply, we have to react…It’s a fun, unpredictable hobby but well worth the effort…

• Like 2