IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First Cool Front

NBTX11

Jim, I'm with ya...  I went to Savanna, GA last St. Patty's day.  I froze my you know what's off!  If there was good health care (like a 30 year old boy should worry about health care) and other of the resources that make life so comfortable and easy (that I have grown so accustomed to and spoiled by), I would move further south in a heartbeat...

I think Steve is saying in his signature block that Atlanta weather is perfect for humans.  I diasagree   Too cold in the ATL in winter for me.  I used to live in North Texas, which is about identical to Atlanta weather wise, and that was too cold for me, so I moved to south Texas.  If anything, I will keep moving south and/or into FL.  This is as far north as I go.

Perfect for humans?!!!  Just for the record our bodies are close to two/thirds water... WATER FREEZES AROUND THOSE TEMPS!!!  If that is perfect temps for a human, I'm renouncing my claim to being human...        

I guess that is all relative.  I'm from Michigan originally.  I've lived in Georgia for almost eight years now.  Having daytime highs in January get into the 50's or 60's still blows my mind.  Just being able to grow a palm outdoors is cool to me.  Plus it is a nice conversation piece here in North, GA.  I do prefer the warmth though.  Unfortunately, my wife lived in Lakeland, FL for a while and swears she will never live in FL again.  She says it was the least favorite place she's lived because of the nasty summer heat & humidity.  So I guess moving southward on this coast is off limits to me unless I can land a job that pays huge $$.  That would probably grease the wheels a bit.  It does get a bit cold here at times, but the balance of weather overall is nice.  Plus I still have my winter clothes from Michigan.  I've got jackets that you'll sweat in at 30F.  As long as the air isn't cold enough to make my snots freeze inside my nose, it's not that bad.   Plus the cold season is pretty short here.

We don't get earthquakes, very few tornados, and we only get the last remnants of hurricanes.  I live on top of a hill that is at least a couple hudred feet high, so a flood at my house is pretty much out of the question.  

We are running out of water though in the midst of a drought.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

(Steve @ Nov. 02 2007,13:17)

I think Steve is saying in his signature block that Atlanta weather is perfect for humans.  I diasagree   Too cold in the ATL in winter for me.  I used to live in North Texas, which is about identical to Atlanta weather wise, and that was too cold for me, so I moved to south Texas.  If anything, I will keep moving south and/or into FL.  This is as far north as I go.

Perfect for humans?!!!  Just for the record our bodies are close to two/thirds water... WATER FREEZES AROUND THOSE TEMPS!!!  If that is perfect temps for a human, I'm renouncing my claim to being human...        

I guess that is all relative.  I'm from Michigan originally.  I've lived in Georgia for almost eight years now.  Having daytime highs in January get into the 50's or 60's still blows my mind.  Just being able to grow a palm outdoors is cool to me.  Plus it is a nice conversation piece here in North, GA.  I do prefer the warmth though.  Unfortunately, my wife lived in Lakeland, FL for a while and swears she will never live in FL again.  She says it was the least favorite place she's lived because of the nasty summer heat & humidity.  So I guess moving southward on this coast is off limits to me unless I can land a job that pays huge $$.  That would probably grease the wheels a bit.  It does get a bit cold here at times, but the balance of weather overall is nice.  Plus I still have my winter clothes from Michigan.  I've got jackets that you'll sweat in at 30F.  As long as the air isn't cold enough to make my snots freeze inside my nose, it's not that bad.   Plus the cold season is pretty short here.

We don't get earthquakes, very few tornados, and we only get the last remnants of hurricanes.  I live on top of a hill that is at least a couple hudred feet high, so a flood at my house is pretty much out of the question.  

We are running out of water though in the midst of a drought.

Steve, I also am from Michigan originally, and know exactly what you are talking about (especially the snot freezing in your nose when walking outside).  I've seen my share of -20F windchills.

But, I got spoiled living in Florida for 5 years before moving to Texas.  At first, I moved to North Texas (Wichita Falls) along the Oklahoma border.  About the same temps as ATL on average.  I said, this isn't going to work, so that was one of the reasons among many I moved to San Antonio.  Of course you have to go where the jobs are, but I have said, this is as far north as I go...

OK, Winter's here (alright, Fall...) in SoFla finally :( . Dropped to 65 last night, supposed to be upper 50s tonight. Time to see if the heating cable works in the prop case...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I see both Tampa and Orlando have low 50s in the 5 day forecast, Jacksonville has 40s forecasted.  Be interesting to see how cool it gets...

58.1F at my house at 6:13am. Yesterday's high only got to 81F or so and today looks to get to about the same, so my first cool weather of the season.

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

55.8 here at 6 AM...Time to turn the furnace on and go back to bed. Brrrr...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

58.5F low here today at 629AM.  It was definitely the coolest morning of the season thus far.  It felt great.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

55.6F here this morning. Might be even cooler tonight. I agree with you Larry, I love the 50s, I am not too crazy about the 40's and lower though.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

65 degrees F.on my car thermometer this morning.Low humidity, blue skies and sun. Our first cool breeze.

What you look for is what is looking

When it gets cool down there in Florida and South Texas, at what temperature you you all set your thermostat.  I'm just curious if people further South set the temps in their house warmer or not?

We (my wife controls the temp) usually have it set at 73-75F in the summer, and 67-68 in the winter.  I sometimes sneak it up to 70F at night because if it's 68 at the thermostat, it's about 65 in our bedroom.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Talk about radiational cooling and warming...48.9F this morning with obviously 100% humidity as everything was soaked in dew. It is 944am and its already 66.7F. That's 18F in 3 hours! Suppose to hit near 80F today but yesterdays' sea breeze kept it in the middle 70's. 40'sF predicted for mid week. YUK! But, its sunny and the humidity is comfortable. Greg in  New Port Richey  (my therm is in the shadiest, lowest, darkest part of the yard btw)

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

(Steve @ Nov. 05 2007,09:13)

When it gets cool down there in Florida and South Texas, at what temperature you you all set your thermostat.  I'm just curious if people further South set the temps in their house warmer or not?

We (my wife controls the temp) usually have it set at 73-75F in the summer, and 67-68 in the winter.  I sometimes sneak it up to 70F at night because if it's 68 at the thermostat, it's about 65 in our bedroom.

I put mine on 78 in summer during the day and 74-75 at night.  It is so hot here that anything lower than that and the AC would itself into the ground running non stop 24/7.

Winter, I put mine on 70-72.  Most winter days it only kicks on at night, unless it is cold out/cloudy.  The sun warms it up to higher than that on sunny winter days.

49.6F at 6:59 AM this morning. Greg, you are right about the radiational cooling. I am surpised it got into the 40's last night but it did. I keep my thermometer in the most open part of my yard with no canopy about 30 feet from my house or any other structures. The sensor is on a pole about 4.5 feet from the ground. It does read very cold when other thermometers (like on weatherunderground) in my immediate part of the county read much higher. I am usually only 1 or 2 degrees warmer than the NWS in Ruskin (which is about 2 miles to the northeast from me) so I am pretty sure I am getting pretty accurate readings at night. Daytime temps on my thermometer are not usually accurate because even though it has a passive solar shield, it does not work well enough to take the sun out of the equation.

My Weather Station

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Winter is coming tonight.  Lows for next couple of nights will dip to low 40s in South Louisiana.  Days will be back near 70, but as far as we are concerned this is winter.  Way too close to frost temperatures for my comfort.  There was a heavy fog this morning as well, another sign of winter's arrival.  And today, my first day to cope with daylight standard time too, ughhhh.  Barely got home in time to position the sprinkler before dark.  Can you say depression?

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Hey Keith, I used to date a Boudreaux from Jeanerette haha, good to see some more folks from Louisiana.

Seems like things actually warmed up here in Houston today, still waiting on the "colder" weather...

(ruskinPalms @ Nov. 05 2007,17:16)

Daytime temps on my thermometer are not usually accurate because even though it has a passive solar shield, it does not work well enough to take the sun out of the equation.

Bill-

I fought with that for a bit when I first started messing with remote temperature sensors.  My final conclusion was that a fan ventilated enclosure for the sensor was needed.  When I installed my weather station in May 2006, I placed the temp/humidity sensor in such an enclosure and have always gotten excellent daytime readings.

Larry 

My station has just barely managed to stay in the 50's for lows the past few nights.  When I say just barely, I am not kidding!  It was 50.9F this AM and 50.0F yesterday AM.  Perhaps tonight will be the night to drop into the 40's as its already about 54F at 1015PM.

Larry 

(Steve @ Nov. 05 2007,09:13)

When it gets cool down there in Florida and South Texas, at what temperature you you all set your thermostat.

My wife has commandeered the thermostat in our house :D

As such, it stays at between 72-74F year round.

Larry 

Strange year this is shaping up to be...  Its not often that my winter temps are warmer than Larry's.  We had 1 little bout of cool on the 24th of last month (down to 51) and now all I see into the future is high 70's daytime to low 70's nightly for the comming week.  If i could see about 10 more weeks into the future and see nothing but that fcst, that would be great!!!!

Weve had the windows open here since about the 24th :P :P :P

Gotta love those 50$ electric bills!!

Allen

Galveston Island Tx

9a/9b

8' Elevation

Sandy Soil

Jan Avgs 50/62

Jul Avgs 80/89

Average Annual Rainfall 43.5"

(galveston1602 @ Nov. 10 2007,02:52)

Strange year this is shaping up to be...  Its not often that my winter temps are warmer than Larry's.  

Allen-

48.4F here this AM!

As is the norm, the prime parts of town stayed much warmer (downtown St. Pete was 58F).

But, the forecast looks good going forward and into the low-middle 80's next week.

Larry