IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

First Cool Front

NBTX11

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 22 2007,18:37)

(SoLando @ Oct. 22 2007,16:55)

Still freaking hot here. The car said 94 driving home from school today. Is that insane or what? I wake up at 6:30, and it's already 75. Nice fall.....not.

Yes......still far above normal here for this time of year.  My station hit 91.0F today.  I believe normal is around 84F.  I am actually ready for a cool front to come through.  This same time last year we dropped into the low 50's.

Relief is on the way here.  Lows for the next 4 nights here are 50 to 52 degrees.  Gonna be a big and welcome change.  But, I am not sure of the wisdom of that African Oil Palm I just bought.  I am running out of microclimates.  Ce la vie.

BTW - Crawfish season is around the corner.  Better start planning your trip back up here to see your relatives soon.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

It's supposed to get into the upper 40s tonight here.  First time below 50 for us since early April, more than 6 months ago.

Ok, I'm ready to move.  It got down to at least 52 this morning, only 4 degrees warmer than in St. Louis, Missouri.  Why the $E(*& do I live 12 feet above sea level, surrounded by water if it can get like this so early in the season? How I managed to get all these tender palms through 2-3 winters outside is BEYOND ME.  

The wind is the only part that did damage to plants- blew over most of my potted stuff (which has never happened before), SHREDDED my bananas and traveler's palm  :(  into a thousand pieces.  They are ready to be chopped to the ground now.

And this is after my stuff survived hurricane Humberto, with maybe one tear on one leaf on the traveler's palm at that time.

This is a very sad end to my last enjoyable season living here  :(

Forgot to mention I also got a broken window last night, presumably related to the wind somehow.  :angry:

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

(surgeon83 @ Oct. 23 2007,11:56)

Ok, I'm ready to move.  It got down to at least 52 this morning, only 4 degrees warmer than in St. Louis, Missouri.  Why the $E(*& do I live 12 feet above sea level, surrounded by water if it can get like this so early in the season? How I managed to get all these tender palms through 2-3 winters outside is BEYOND ME.  

The wind is the only part that did damage to plants- blew over most of my potted stuff (which has never happened before), SHREDDED my bananas and traveler's palm  :(  into a thousand pieces.  They are ready to be chopped to the ground now.

And this is after my stuff survived hurricane Humberto, with maybe one tear on one leaf on the traveler's palm at that time.

Forgot to mention I also got a broken window last night, presumably related to the wind somehow.  :angry:

Hate to tell you this, but unless you're going to Key West, you're going to see much lower than 52F anywhere in FL.  Tampa and Orlando for example, average about 50-52F for lows in Jan (same as you), so they are going to see their share of 40s, and some 30s on occasion.

(surgeon83 @ Oct. 23 2007,11:56)

Surgeon-

This time last year (10/24/2006), it dropped to 50F here at my house in Tarpon Springs.

On the same date, it was 47F at the Melbourne AP, 54F at the Palm Beach AP and 57F all the way down at the Ft Lauderdale Airport.

Key West dropped to 68F.  So, as Jim has noted, thats about where you need to go to be pretty much assured to avoid 50's in late October.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Dang.... A few days ago I saw that our low for Thursday and Friday were around 62ish... But, of course they're back up to 71! What a joke! Apparently by next week we're supposed to get back to the 60s for a low. That'll be nice.

Woke up this morning and it was at 78.7! Ridiculous much? I'm ready for sweatshirt weather [60s] - but not triple sweatshirt weather [<60s].

I haven't been keeping up with the weather much, as AP classes are definitely hard this year. Plus, I have to dance at Disney shows a LOT up until Christmas. ...Every day has been basically the same thing since April/May, so I hardly bother. The palms here are still growing like crazy.

Tell me about it. My car said 104F in the parking lot at school when I went home, and 90.8F in my yard..again! I love the heat but a nice fall day (82/62F) would really be nice. It also poured sat AM over 2" and more sunday afternoon. This is a VERY unusual October with over 6" at my house total, triple the normal. That part is rrrreeeeal nice....Greg in HOT HOT Tampa Bay

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

First morning here in the 60s (68 for a low) since I moved in!! Woke up during the night to close windows, turn off ceiling fans. Brrrr!!!....

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Woke to 67F here with dewpoints way down in the lower 50's!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

It is 10 AM here in the Acreage and it is only 73!  Finally, one day of relief from the heat this fall.  And I think it will be in the low 80's through the weekend.  Maybe I can get some heavy work done in the yard without dying from the heat!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

WOW, guys.... this weather is really screwed up.... October has been the warmest here on record, with most days in the mid-high 70's & low 80's and the nights around 60f... Today it dropped to around 60f and it's gonna start to get down into the 50's now.. but I just started packing all my palms, bananas, & citrus up for the winter. Last weekend people were at the beach swimming....

GO GLOBAL WARMING !!!!

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby-

Its great to see you back here posting!

Thanks, Larry... Yeah, I've been so busy over the past few weeks with work that I haven't had time to come on the board.... Most of my big projects have been completed now.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

That cold front that went through on monday kicked all the heat and humidity out of here.  It is absolutely gorgeous now.  Cool nights, warm sunny days 77-80F, with absolutely no humidity.

Bobby, it's been weirdly warm and wet down here.  Last weekend, I was planting a Satakentia, Chuniophoenix, a Trachy, and a bunch of other plants in soggy, 80 degree weather.  This morning was cloudy and chilly.  Still overcast.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I'm loving the weather today, opend up all the doors and turned off the a/c at the office for the first time this year...  

Wunderground.com reports:

Temperature: 79.9 °F / 26.6 °C

Humidity: 71%

Dew Point: 70 °F / 21 °C  

Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 2.2 m/s  from the North  

Wind Gust: 9.0 mph / 14.5 km/h  

Pressure: 29.89 in / 1012.1 hPa (Steady)  

Heat Index: 83 °F / 28 °C  

Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers  

UV: 6 out of 16

Clouds: Few 1900 ft / 579 m

Can't wait till it starts to cool off this year!  My house doesn't get opened up until the mid 60's!

:cool:

EDIT:  YO BOBBY!, Where ya been brudda?!

EDIT:  YO BOBBY!, Where ya been brudda?!

Hey Bill, how goes it?  I have a TON of pics to post on here... This was one of the best summers ever in NY and my stuff has all grown (and still is growing) by leaps & bounds.. My 24ft queen needs to be repotted - the guy who stores it for me will have to rent a bigger truck next year because I expect this thing to grow another 1-2ft by next year... I'll post some pics in the next couple days...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Yeah guys, I guess I will occasionally be cold no matter where I wind up.  Only thing is Galveston takes eternity to recover from cold fronts, with pitiful daytime highs.  Our overnight lows for the last 3 nights have been 52, 54, and 54 and that will probably continue for 2-3 more nights.  I'm mainly bitter about the winds destroying my prized Ravenala, but you don't have to remind me that Florida can be quite windy at times too  :o

My view of Florida is biased now, because when I left Houston on Tuesday afternoon it was freezing, but when I got to Orlando that night, it was about 85 and humid as all get out even at 9pm.  That is because we flew ahead of the cold front, but still.  Hasn't felt that hot here (to me, anyway) in over a month.

My brother lives in Houston and he and his neighbors were lighting their fireplaces for the first time this season with lows in the low 50s.

I cant imagine temperatures that cold.I have not been exposed to a temperature below 65F for more than six years.People actually die here in the highlands when temperatures drop into the 40s.

Scott

El Oasis - beach garden, distinct wet/dry season ,year round 20-38c

Las Heliconias - jungle garden ,800m elevation,150+ inches rainfall, year round 15-28c

I remember some very cold nights in FL in the low 30s when I lived in Brandon FL.

Many times in winter Central and North FL can actually be colder than South Texas.  How, you ask.  Well, occasionally, there is a big dome of high pressure sitting over TX, keeping us warm and pushing all the cold fronts east.  When that happens, we are frequently warmer than FL in mid winter.

It was warm and humid here (90s) up until 3 days ago.  Just as warm/humid as FL, until that front went front went through.

Not many places in the country heat up as fast as inland South TX.  Can get hot like someone turned on a lightswitch and go from cool to hot.

I think we are one of the only areas of the country to have 100s in just about every month of the year on record, including Feb and March.  Not many places can say that.

It did get quite cool the other nigh with lows in the 40s.  Some would say cool, others would say refreshing.  Days are around 80F with low humidity for now.

Scott

There's a standing joke in Houston that once the first "cool" front moves in (we're talkin' nighttime low's in the low 50's), lots of folks turn their AC down to 50F so they can throw a few logs on the fire and feel all "fall-like".  There is some truth to this.  I can probably go outside right now and smell wood smoke coming from somewhere.

Nuthin' like conspicuous consumption.

Steve

p.s. we started working up some Christmas music in my brass group on Monday night - I got all in the spirit right away with the cool weather!

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Frost advisory for tomorrow morning in W TX.  High today was 73, tomorrow should be 75, but tomorrow a.m. we will see the 30's.  We went from summer to winter virtually overnight a little over a week ago.

Martin Farris, San Angelo, TX

San Angelo Cold Hardy Palms and Cycads

Jul - 92F/69F, Jan - 55F/31F

Lows:

02-03: 18F;

03-04: 19F;

04-05: 17F;

05-06: 11F;

06-07: 13F;

07-08: 14F 147.5 Freezing Degree-Hours http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?sh...ee+hours\;

08-09: 23F;

09-10: 12F 467.6 Freezing Degree Hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 24.2F;

10-11: 13F 1,059.5 Freezing Degree Hours with Strong Winds/Rain/Snow/Sleet, Average Temperature During Freeze 19.4F;

Record low -4F in 1989 (High of 36F that p.m.) 1,125.2 freezing degree hours, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.6F;

Record Freeze 1983: 2,300.3 Freezing Degree Hours with a low of 5F, Average Temperature During Freeze 13.7F.

All I can tell you is that even a little drop in temperature feels good when you live in South Florida.Our climate may not seem to have seasons to people from other area's but I can tell you that a low around 50 degrees F. would be a thing of beauty. And so goes life on the Tropical Savanah....

What you look for is what is looking

(bubba @ Oct. 26 2007,14:45)

Our climate may not seem to have seasons to people from other area's but I can tell you that a low around 50 degrees F. would be a thing of beauty.

Go move to CA, you traitor!  Just shut up and enjoy the upper 60s :cool:  :D

I've got Lagerstroemia macrocarpa and L. speciosa I'm trying to keep the leaves on so I can sell them at the Ramble next month...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

(syersj @ Oct. 25 2007,16:23)

I think we are one of the only areas of the country to have 100s in just about every month of the year on record, including Feb and March.  Not many places can say that.

Jim

California is that other area. Historic data of 90F/32.2c + is widespread in SoCal.  Coastal valleys [simi/San Fernando/Santa Ana] & foothills [santa Monica/Santa Susana/San Rafael] have recorded 100F in every month + low desert [Coachella/Imperial].  

Frequency of such extreme temperature is solely Texas [ gives the impression that the lower Rio Grande valley is hot but also quite dry in winter, right?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

(happ @ Oct. 26 2007,23:12)

(syersj @ Oct. 25 2007,16:23)

Jim

California is that other area. Historic data of 90F/32.2c + is widespread in SoCal.  Coastal valleys [simi/San Fernando/Santa Ana] & foothills [santa Monica/Santa Susana/San Rafael] have recorded 100F in every month + low desert [Coachella/Imperial].  

Frequency of such extreme temperature is solely Texas [ gives the impression that the lower Rio Grande valley is hot but also quite dry in winter, right?

Happ, of course you're right.  I'm much more familiar with TX and FL weather data, having lived in both states for quite a while.  Not that familiar with CA weather patterns as you are.

As for the RGV, it is a semi arid climate.  Not desert, but arid (25-30 inches of rain annually, appx.)   Coastal TX seems to be as humid as FL, but with less actual rainfall.  Except for the upper gulf coast of TX, they may get more than FL (50-60 inches a year)

I think it's interesting to drive from West to East anywhere across TX.  You can literally see the changing landscape as you drive.  The trees get bigger, and the vegetation denser as you drive east, corresponding with more rain.  I can drive an east of here and be in thick pine forests, drive west and be in sub desert areas with scrub type vegetation.  The in between areas is a transition zone to forests.  The hilly areas of central tX also create their own vegetation and rainfall patterns.

Fastfeat, You are so dang fast, I don't even get time to explain my post! First, I am sure happy for you that you actually experienced 68 degrees F. because it did not reach here and I am quite ready to feel a nice 68 degrees F.Also, I promise I am no traitor. I was just poorly attempting to make the point that we do have seasons in South Florida and if you live here long enough you learn to enjoy a low of 72 degrees F. instead of 80 degrees F.And January is a thing of beauty.As for California, it is one of my favorite places to visit and as you well know a truly incredible climate.

(bubba @ Oct. 29 2007,08:08)

Fastfeat, You are so dang fast, I don't even get time to explain my post! First, I am sure happy for you that you actually experienced 68 degrees F. because it did not reach here and I am quite ready to feel a nice 68 degrees F.Also, I promise I am no traitor. I was just poorly attempting to make the point that we do have seasons in South Florida and if you live here long enough you learn to enjoy a low of 72 degrees F. instead of 80 degrees F.And January is a thing of beauty.As for California, it is one of my favorite places to visit and as you well know a truly incredible climate.

Just giving ya a little grief there, Bubba.

I'm actually getting ready to go drive to Austin, TX to work for awhile, contemplating how much Winter clothing I'll have to go buy. (Planning on camping out there--my company's idea, not mine--so I can take my dog with me. Supposed to be 46 there tonight.  Brrr...) Not to mention, I have to hook up all the container plants here on an auto drip system to keep most stuff alive while I'm gone...

Too much to do, not enough time, too cold to where I'm going...OK, I'm done whining (for now...)

_____

(fastfeat @ Oct. 29 2007,08:18)

(bubba @ Oct. 29 2007,08:08)

Just giving ya a little grief there, Bubba.

I'm actually getting ready to go drive to Austin, TX to work for awhile, contemplating how much Winter clothing I'll have to go buy. (Planning on camping out there--my company's idea, not mine--so I can take my dog with me. Supposed to be 46 there tonight.  Brrr...) Not to mention, I have to hook up all the container plants here on an auto drip system to keep most stuff alive while I'm gone...

Too much to do, not enough time, too cold to where I'm going...OK, I'm done whining (for now...)

Brrr????  Hahaha.  Only someone from FL would call the current weather in Austin cold righ now.  Highs are supposed to be in the 80-85 degree range, lows in the 50s for the foreseable future.  Remember the low comes at about 6 am in the morning, not that cold all night.  Looks like gorgeous weather to me.  Sunny and 80F.  

5 day Austin Forecast.

Today: Plentiful sunshine. High around 75F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight: Generally clear. Low around 50F. Winds NNE at 5 to 10 mph.

Tomorrow: Sunny skies. High near 80F. Winds light and variable.

Tomorrow night: Clear skies. Low 53F. Winds light and variable.

Wednesday: Sunny. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 50s.

Thursday: Mainly sunny. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the upper 50s. Friday: Mainly sunny. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the mid 50s.

Well, I really think that is it.  There is a very good chance that Oct. 22 was the last day of the year that will reach a high of 80 in my neck of the woods.  October 22... Usually we go until at least mid November with occasional 80s.  Probably won't hit 80 again until late March if we're LUCKY- .  

Woe is me

The coast must be a lot colder than interior TX, because we're in the 80s every day, and will have tons of 80s every months this winter.

10 day forecast for San Antonio, TX:

Tonight

Oct 31  Clear 55°  

Thu

Nov 01  Sunny 79°/52°

Fri

Nov 02  Mostly Sunny 82°/57°

Sat

Nov 03  Partly Cloudy 82°/54°

Sun

Nov 04  Sunny 83°/55°

Mon

Nov 05  Sunny 83°/59°

Tue

Nov 06  Partly Cloudy 78°/53°

Wed

Nov 07  Sunny 79°/53°

Thu

Nov 08  Mostly Sunny 77°/54°  

Fri

Nov 09  Sunny 77°/58°

Bubba, the weather right now is absolutely gorgeous.  Coolish at night, warm and toasty during the day.  Low to moderate humidity.  Perfect...

I had to scrape my car windows on Tuesday before I left for work.  We got down to 34.5F at my place.  It's supposed to be pretty nice for the next few days here.  Highs in the upper 60s or low 70s, and lows in the 40's.  Next week we have another chance for a freeze.

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Jim, Those temperatures remind me of Medellin, Colombia. Perfect all year around.

(Steve @ Nov. 01 2007,11:55)

We got down to 34.5F at my place.

Perfect for humans?!!!  Just for the record our bodies are close to two/thirds water... WATER FREEZES AROUND THOSE TEMPS!!!  If that is perfect temps for a human, I'm renouncing my claim to being human...   :P  :P  :P

Bill, I think perfect came from Jim and I when we were discussing San Antone weather this week ,which sounds like Medellin year round. To make matters worse the women in Medellin are beautiful too.

I think Steve is saying in his signature block that Atlanta weather is perfect for humans.  I diasagree :)  Too cold in the ATL in winter for me.  I used to live in North Texas, which is about identical to Atlanta weather wise, and that was too cold for me, so I moved to south Texas.  If anything, I will keep moving south and/or into FL.  This is as far north as I go.