IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jubaea chilensis

MobileBayGarden

Does anyone know a good source for Jubaea chilensis seeds? I have tried ordering from eBay and another online seller and both times the seeds were very old and desiccated. I ended up cracking the shells on them all and by the end of that stressful ordeal only had 3 semi viable endosperm. I have had no growth after 2 months of babying them and am about to throw in the towel. 😭 The next step is buying a plane ticket to California and wandering the parks with ziplocks. Lol I appreciate any advice y’all may have. 

Philippe

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MobileBayGarden said:

Does anyone know a good source for Jubaea chilensis seeds? I have tried ordering from eBay and another online seller and both times the seeds were very old and desiccated. I ended up cracking the shells on them all and by the end of that stressful ordeal only had 3 semi viable endosperm. I have had no growth after 2 months of babying them and am about to throw in the towel. 😭 The next step is buying a plane ticket to California and wandering the parks with ziplocks. Lol I appreciate any advice y’all may have. 

Philippe

If you're planning on buying a plane ticket to collect seeds in CA,in person,best wait until November to February time period when they ripen... :lol:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

20141123_152207.jpg

20141119_111047.jpg

20141119_111053.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

39 minutes ago, aztropic said:

If you're planning on buying a plane ticket to collect seeds in CA,in person,best wait until November to February time period when they ripen... :lol:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

20141123_152207.jpg

20141119_111047.jpg

20141119_111053.jpg

Oh my!!! Those are beautiful! Sounds like a great trip idea for this fall to me. 🎉🍾🌴 In the mean time to feed my addiction, do you happen to have any seed from this last winter that I could buy or trade off you by chance?🙏

Philippe

I managed to stop by and pick these seeds up while on a business trip to San Diego several years ago. Haven't collected any since. These seeds are now mostly 15 gallon potted plants, selling for $250 each. 😄 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230605_144311583.jpg

• Like 7

Mesa, Arizona

9 hours ago, aztropic said:

I managed to stop by and pick these seeds up while on a business trip to San Diego several years ago. Haven't collected any since. These seeds are now mostly 15 gallon potted plants, selling for $250 each. 😄 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Wowsers! That’s beautiful. If all else fails I might have to make an Arizona road trip. Lol 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Man that looks great, do you have any in ground specimens? I didn’t they did very well in the low desert/Phoenix, and I didn’t see any around town when I lived there. 

• Like 1

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Actually,I DO have a good sized in ground specimen already pushing the boundaries of the 6' x 6'  corner space,which was all the land I could allot to it.

From that pile of seeds,I got about 50 trees,and have sold over 30 of them locally over the years;mostly in 3/5 gallon size. (less than 10 left - mostly 15 gallon plants now) Some of them HAVE to still be surviving in people's Arizona gardens. 🤷‍♂️ 

I also know of a few Arizona palmtalkers that are growing this species. @96720,@Garcia3,@Billdacat8. Only real problem has been locating one if you want to grow them. Traditionally,it's required a drive over to California to pick one up,as local nurseries generally do not stock them, except for moon valley, who now sells them consistently in 48" boxes,2 ft trunks,for $15K each,planted. (out of the average palm collectors price range)

They actually seem to survive pretty well here in the Phoenix area, although those planted fully exposed to all day summer sun do get a little burned around the edges.:greenthumb:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230606_133823966.jpg

IMG_20230606_133737682.jpg

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

Message me in late July to the middle of August. There are a few large ones by my house that I sometimes collect from. I had a picnic below one at a park last week and noticed plenty of unripe seed hanging in a really nice, blue jubaea. The trick is always beating the squirrels, since they've developed quite the appetite for the meaty part of the seed. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Message me in late July to the middle of August. There are a few large ones by my house that I sometimes collect from. I had a picnic below one at a park last week and noticed plenty of unripe seed hanging in a really nice, blue jubaea. The trick is always beating the squirrels, since they've developed quite the appetite for the meaty part of the seed. 

I would be interested in seed if they become available, especially the blue one.

6 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

Thank you man!!! I really appreciate it. I set a battle of the squirrels reminder. Let me know if there is anything you are interested in from my part of the county. Have a great night!

Philippe

• Like 1

Those are magnificent palms. Wish we could grow them here.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

On 6/6/2023 at 5:39 AM, Xerarch said:

I didn’t think they did very well in the low desert/Phoenix, and I didn’t see any around town when I lived there. 

Swung by moon valley to see what they had in the way of Jubaea... Looks like they already sold the several they had in the spring,and now have a new,slightly bigger batch up on deck at the same price. Since we are now almost into summer,they are offering 1/2 off specials which brings these down to $7500; delivered,planted,and guaranteed. If I only had more land,I actually think I would spring for one and buy some time...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230609_143401479_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230609_143012593.jpg

IMG_20230609_143429837_HDR.jpg

Edited by aztropic
  • Like 5

Mesa, Arizona

1 hour ago, aztropic said:

Swung by moon valley to see what they had in the way of Jubaea... Looks like they already sold the several they had in the spring,and now have a new,slightly bigger batch up on deck at the same price. Since we are now almost into summer,they are offering 1/2 off specials which brings these down to $7500; delivered,planted,and guaranteed. If I only had more land,I actually think I would spring for one and buy some time...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Great to see such Jubs for sale those look excellent, I hope they do well, but man that’s pricey, geez. I’m still not super convinced of long term viability, but I hope to be proven wrong, if they did well there should be some very large ones around.  I wonder if they’re kindof like Butia, there quite a few around town and they some look good at small to medium sizes but I see nearly no Butia that are large and look great in PHX. 

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I think you might be proven wrong on this one... The reason you didn't see any Jubaea when you lived here,is that no nurseries or big box stores ever brought them in until now. Unless you were a palm nut driving to CA to buy one, the common populace never even knew they existed. Survivability has nothing to do with it. I have about 100 different palm species planted around my yard,all surviving,with only about 4 or 5 that you might have found for sale locally after a lot of searching. Local availability is a big factor in the material you will see planted. Bismarckia didn't exist here at all when I imported mine from Florida 23 years ago. Now,every single big box and local nursery always has several on hand year round.

Large butia are also less rare now in my part of town,since the big box stores started carrying them. I could show you a dozen Butia within 5 miles of my house with 5 -10 feet of wood trunk.Here's a pic of one of mine planted as a 3 gallon from HD. Things,they are a changin'. :shaka-2:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230609_180401808_HDR.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

4 hours ago, aztropic said:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Wow those are beautiful!!!! How old do you think they are? 

10 minutes ago, MobileBayGarden said:

Wow those are beautiful!!!! How old do you think they are? 

They 'claim' that those trees are already 25 years old. At the rate mine are growing,I actually believe it. Those were some pretty big trees - 2 feet wide by 2 feet tall trunks!

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Mesa, Arizona

You can get them down to around 30% of original price if you are willing to take and plant it yourself with no guarantee. Or atleast that’s what they offered on a tree I looked at, at one point.

4 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

I missed this topic in 2020 and appreciate the chance to see it now. 

I also missed the chance to see Tim’s garden and many others while on the IPS trip. 

Looks like the wedding of my middle child will be in June 2024 near LA so already planning on another trip to HI as a pre or post trip….

3 minutes ago, ASHCVS said:

We hope to see you in Santa Monica then!

On 6/9/2023 at 8:34 PM, aztropic said:

I think you might be proven wrong on this one... The reason you didn't see any Jubaea when you lived here,is that no nurseries or big box stores ever brought them in until now. Unless you were a palm nut driving to CA to buy one, the common populace never even knew they existed. Survivability has nothing to do with it. I have about 100 different palm species planted around my yard,all surviving,with only about 4 or 5 that you might have found for sale locally after a lot of searching. Local availability is a big factor in the material you will see planted. Bismarckia didn't exist here at all when I imported mine from Florida 23 years ago. Now,every single big box and local nursery always has several on hand year round.

Large butia are also less rare now in my part of town,since the big box stores started carrying them. I could show you a dozen Butia within 5 miles of my house with 5 -10 feet of wood trunk.Here's a pic of one of mine planted as a 3 gallon from HD. Things,they are a changin'. :shaka-2:

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230609_180401808_HDR.jpg

Look’n good! Hope to see some big Jubs in the future!

On 6/6/2023 at 5:46 PM, Josue Diaz said:

I just need someone to cut the flower bracts when they first open and overnight them to me here in Florida for hybrid experiments.  

Anyone out there willing to assist in this???

😁

On 6/11/2023 at 5:37 AM, Scott W said:

I just need someone to cut the flower bracts when they first open and overnight them to me here in Florida for hybrid experiments.  

Anyone out there willing to assist in this???

😁

There's no way I'm getting that high up 😅

20180322_165703.jpg

20180810_121425.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Josue Diaz said:

There's no way I'm getting that high up 😅

20180322_165703.jpg

Well maybe someone knows of some smaller statured ones that are flowering 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

stopped by today and they are not ready yet. Maybe a few more weeks? Few have fallen to the ground but the squirrels have gotten them. The bunches up top are starting to get some color so I think they'll start dropping by the hundreds soon, and the squirrels won't keep up with them. 

20230722_155237.jpg

20230722_155335.jpg

20230722_155316.jpg

20230722_155309.jpg

20230722_155229.jpg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 3

Stopped by moon valley today. Low and behold, they brought in 6 more huge Jubaea,with funky trimmed trunks. There's obviously a market for them in Arizona. Apparently, 'If you bring them in,they will sell'. 🤷‍♂️ 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230723_110139134_HDR.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

I picked up a bunch of seed last year from the blue jubaea at mission bay and some from one of the green ones . Got about 40 of each . Just finishing their first leaf In 1 gallon pots . Couple a few of the blues look to be hybrids for sure much faster growing and slightly different look 

• Upvote 1

On 7/23/2023 at 11:01 PM, JubaeaMan138 said:

I picked up a bunch of seed last year from the blue jubaea at mission bay and some from one of the green ones . Got about 40 of each . Just finishing their first leaf In 1 gallon pots . Couple a few of the blues look to be hybrids for sure much faster growing and slightly different look 

Do you have any pics by chance?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2023 at 9:20 PM, MobileBayGarden said:

Do you have any pics by chance?

Sorry for the late

response here are some of them 

5F6C791C-7E9E-4FAB-B255-97ECB34AF633.jpeg

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:53 AM, JubaeaMan138 said:

Sorry for the late

response here are some of them 

5F6C791C-7E9E-4FAB-B255-97ECB34AF633.jpeg

Cute little guys! They are slow growers I’m guessing. Can you see a difference between the blue form and green yet? 

On 7/23/2023 at 8:03 PM, aztropic said:

Stopped by moon valley today. Low and behold, they brought in 6 more huge Jubaea,with funky trimmed trunks. There's obviously a market for them in Arizona. Apparently, 'If you bring them in,they will sell'. 🤷‍♂️ 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230723_110139134_HDR.jpg

But how many will burn up (full all day sun), or dry up (treated like a Brahea)?

Hi 97˚, Lo 74˚ Hilary clouds

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego

On 8/18/2023 at 11:08 AM, MobileBayGarden said:

Cute little guys! They are slow growers I’m guessing. Can you see a difference between the blue form and green yet? 

Sorry I’ll send a comparison next week getting ready for this hurricane ticking the seedlings away from winds . The blues are already on their second leafs standard greens first leaf has just finished . But physically I don’t see a different just growth speed 

38 minutes ago, Tom in Tucson said:

But how many will burn up (full all day sun), or dry up (treated like a Brahea)?

Hi 97˚, Lo 74˚ Hilary clouds

Who knows? It's a multi state company bringing them in. Probably wouldn't go to all the trouble if they were just going to lose money. They do the delivery,digging,planting,and then guarantee them for a year. 🤷‍♂️ 

The 15 gallon pots I have growing ARE in full,all day sun,and mine aren't burning...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230721_123624319_HDR.jpg

Edited by aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

21 hours ago, JubaeaMan138 said:

Sorry I’ll send a comparison next week getting ready for this hurricane ticking the seedlings away from winds . The blues are already on their second leafs standard greens first leaf has just finished . But physically I don’t see a different just growth speed 

No problem, be safe!

23 hours ago, aztropic said:

Who knows? It's a multi state company bringing them in. Probably wouldn't go to all the trouble if they were just going to lose money. They do the delivery,digging,planting,and then guarantee them for a year. 🤷‍♂️ 

The 15 gallon pots I have growing ARE in full,all day sun,and mine aren't burning...

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

IMG_20230721_123624319_HDR.jpg

Please don't think I'm trying to "call you out" as being a liar, but in a different thread when I asked you about "full all day sun", I thought you said that they did get afternoon shade. If you wouldn't mind I'd be very appreciative if you could capture an image (wide angle) of any Jubaea you own at 2:00PM to 4:00PM from a distance showing there is nothing casting any shade between 1:00PM and 5:00PM.

Hi 98˚, Lo 74˚ Hilary clouds

No Tom,you are confused. I DO have a larger Jubaea planted in the ground,that DOES get afternoon shade provided by cement block walls. The 15 gallon saleable plants ARE in FULL ALL DAY SUN! I've invited you out previously to come check things out,but you declined. I don't know why you are such a doubting Thomas...

You are still invited to take a look at them next time you're in the area...🤷‍♂️ You don't have to buy anything. Hopefully,that will make you a believer.:lol:

Also, PLEASE locate this other post where you think you saw the 15 gallon plants had any afternoon shade and post it here. If you can't find it,I hope that will put an end to your uncalled for accusations!

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Edited by aztropic

Mesa, Arizona

On 8/19/2023 at 7:55 PM, aztropic said:

Who knows? It's a multi state company bringing them in. Probably wouldn't go to all the trouble if they were just going to lose money.

It's Moon Valley,  ..if someone said Redwoods could be grown in the desert, they'd probably rush to get a bunch going to sell 🤣..   Moon = Used Lemon Peddlers,  nothing more.

• Like 2

On 8/20/2023 at 7:56 PM, aztropic said:

No Tom,you are confused. I DO have a larger Jubaea planted in the ground,that DOES get afternoon shade provided by cement block walls. The 15 gallon saleable plants ARE in FULL ALL DAY SUN! I've invited you out previously to come check things out,but you declined. I don't know why you are such a doubting Thomas...

You are still invited to take a look at them next time you're in the area...🤷‍♂️ You don't have to buy anything. Hopefully,that will make you a believer.:lol:

Also, PLEASE locate this other post where you think you saw the 15 gallon plants had any afternoon shade and post it here. If you can't find it,I hope that will put an end to your uncalled for accusations!

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

Rather than me trying to find the post of the 15 gallon plants, why not just do me the favor of either re-posting the image, or better still taking a new picture as I asked. BTW, I don't think I ever declined your invitation, on the contrary I would very much like to see your collection.

Hi 96˚, Lo 67˚ (now) T-storm in progress

On 8/19/2023 at 9:24 PM, Tom in Tucson said:

or dry up (treated like a Brahea)?

Are they under-watering them? I've noticed they look pretty rough at some nurseries. 

sticker.gif?zipcode=78015&template=stick

8 hours ago, Tom in Tucson said:

Rather than me trying to find the post of the 15 gallon plants, why not just do me the favor of either re-posting the image, or better still taking a new picture as I asked. BTW, I don't think I ever declined your invitation, on the contrary I would very much like to see your collection.

Hi 96˚, Lo 67˚ (now) T-storm in progress

Tom,you KNOW you've started something that you just can't finish... You "thought" I said something in a post. Then you use that "thought" to call me a liar unless I take specific pictures, just for you, at specific times of day? Seriously? You've really lost it old man. FIND that post where you "thought" and SHOW IT to the group to save YOUR reputation. Now YOU are being called out as the real liar,for making up imaginary posts and using them as "fact" to attack people with... Unfortunately,you'll never find that post to save yourself, because it doesn't exist. 🤷‍♂️ 

Palmtalk is supposed to be a friendly forum where people share information and interact with each other in a friendly manor. Apparently,you didn't get the memo. Your style of insinuations,and demands,are not welcome on this board,and you really should be ashamed of yourself for the way you have acted here. Next time you're feeling inclined to accuse or attack someone,put it in a private message and leave the group out of it,or better yet,just keep it to yourself. Nobody needs your drama... 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona

8 hours ago, Meangreen94z said:

Battle of the titans.

I think a full online tour of both of your yards is overdue.😀

I don't think Tom has ever posted a single picture of his garden,the entire time he's been a forum member. He's got some catching up to do... :lol: 

aztropic

Mesa, Arizona 

• Upvote 1

Mesa, Arizona