IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Should I remove rotten roots?

andrebazhen

Hi all, I'm germinating Washingtonia (1 inch height seedlings, look good and grow by 2-3 millimeters per day, 2-3 inch roots) but some of them got root rot. Some seedlings have 1 root, some have 2 (second is healthy)

Of course, I will now transplant them into larger cups with drainage holes and will stop overwatering. But should I remove this black and brown parts? Maybe H2O2 soaking? Is it possible that such a black tip appeared because of the heating mat?

Thanks!photo_1_2023-06-04_14-00-05.thumb.jpg.fb8dd2cb9334280e9b33131c9feae00b.jpg

photo_2_2023-06-04_14-00-05.jpg

photo_3_2023-06-04_14-00-05.jpg

Honestly, i would repot them and let them be. Those roots look healthy to me, the black part on that last image, im not sure what that is. You could pull it off, or not, it probably wont matter. If the seedling has the will to survive, it will continue producing more roots. Not all seedlings will survive, this is just nature. When i tried to germinate Bismarckia seeds, i got 3 out of 10 to germinate, 2 to survive long enough to get a leaf above soil level, and now i only have one left that is trucking along as any palm should. Maybe im just not experienced enough? Not sure, but honestly im okay with not having 5+ bizzies to protect every winter.

Palms - 4 S. romanzoffiana, 1 W. bifurcata, 4 W. robusta, 1 R. rivularis, 1 B. odorata, 1 B. nobilis, 4 S. palmetto, 1 A. merillii, 2 P. canariensis, 1 BxJ, 1 BxJxBxS, 1 BxS, 3 P. roebelenii, 1 H. lagenicaulis, 1 H. verschaffeltii, 9 T. fortunei, 1 C. humilis, 2 C. macrocarpa, 1 L. chinensis, 1 R. excelsa

Alright, thank you!

I’ve got almost 30:) Just because some of them gonna die

• Like 1

Agree with @JLM . Seedlings look fine. Don’t obsess over each little root or you may nit pick your palms to death.

• Upvote 2

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I dont wanna start a new thread but I have a trachy seedling that was struggling and barely growing roots and I pulled it out of the pot and it has some black root parts which I have rinsed the roots and soaked in hydrogen but do I cut the bad parts or do I just leave it be and replant it back into a substrate more aerated?

• 2 weeks later...

Palms in Vladivostok? That's cool. I germinated washingtonia seeds in a seed tray with great success; they literally germinated within few days. I hope you make it. Are you planning to ever plant them outdoors?

• Like 1

previously known as ego

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/18/2023 at 8:30 PM, ego said:

Palms in Vladivostok? That's cool. I germinated washingtonia seeds in a seed tray with great success; they literally germinated within few days. I hope you make it. Are you planning to ever plant them outdoors?

100% I will. We've got sea, sun, islands and we are 43north (my guys in 9a Sochi are 43, meh) but winter is terribly cold - thanks to the Asian monsoon. Now we gotta fix this historical injustice

Growing palm trees in Russia has its own nuances. Due to the shutdown of SWIFT payments, it is almost impossible to buy something abroad, and almost no one grow some species here. For example, I am now germinating Bismarckia from seeds, but I want to buy an already sprouted one for insurance. In Vladivostok - not a single offer. In Moscow, oddly enough, not a single offer. I don't want to pay 300 bucks for a 1 meter tall tree and that's why I'm flying to another city to buy 5 seedlings next week. Together with the flight and the purchase, it will also cost me $300 :)

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 11:51 AM, andrebazhen said:

100% I will. We've got sea, sun, islands and we are 43north (my guys in 9a Sochi are 43, meh) but winter is terribly cold - thanks to the Asian monsoon. Now we gotta fix this historical injustice

Growing palm trees in Russia has its own nuances. Due to the shutdown of SWIFT payments, it is almost impossible to buy something abroad, and almost no one grow some species here. For example, I am now germinating Bismarckia from seeds, but I want to buy an already sprouted one for insurance. In Vladivostok - not a single offer. In Moscow, oddly enough, not a single offer. I don't want to pay 300 bucks for a 1 meter tall tree and that's why I'm flying to another city to buy 5 seedlings next week. Together with the flight and the purchase, it will also cost me $300 :)

wow you really are dedicated. When are you planning to plant them in the ground? This year? 

Amazing that both Vladivostok and Sochi are on the 43d parallel but one is 9a and the other 6a!! Crazy. Do you think Washingtonias will make it? Tbh it's gonna be tough. Perhaps trachycarpus?

At least you don't have to worry about the red weevil in Vladivostok!

When I was little I used to see Washingtonias only in southern Greece when I went on holidays and for me they were the epitome of exoticism. Now that I live in South Greece and they are everywhere, they are the epitome of boredom..

previously known as ego

On 7/5/2023 at 9:51 AM, andrebazhen said:

Growing palm trees in Russia has its own nuances. Due to the shutdown of SWIFT payments, it is almost impossible to buy something abroad, and almost no one grow some species here. For example, I am now germinating Bismarckia from seeds, but I want to buy an already sprouted one for insurance. In Vladivostok - not a single offer. In Moscow, oddly enough, not a single offer.

Don't you have an alternative payment system with China now? People must be growing them in Southern China. $60 for a sprouted Bismarckia is silly money; I'd probably pay that for a sprouted Voanioala seed if I could ever find one, but not a lot else. Look in China before you pay vastly over the odds for a common palm.

5 hours ago, PalmsandLiszt said:

Don't you have an alternative payment system with China now? People must be growing them in Southern China. $60 for a sprouted Bismarckia is silly money; I'd probably pay that for a sprouted Voanioala seed if I could ever find one, but not a lot else. Look in China before you pay vastly over the odds for a common palm.

Germinated Bizzie itself costs about $15-20 (1 inch spear). I just don’t trust our postal service and this is a funny reason to visit a new city in summer 

• Like 1