IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My Tifton Hardy was damaged by last winter , but I think it's going to be OK ?

WSimpson

I noticed that there was no growth on my Tifton Hardy palmetto and the spear had turn to a straw color . I gave it a tug and sure enough it pulled right out . If the palm  doesn't make it ,  I can at least make a broom out of the center part that pulled out lol . 

Below is the  spear that pulled out .

52934855722_bae1e5eaa6_b.jpg

I put a mark on a stick after pushing the stick downward till I hit hard tissue . Below is a couple weeks ago . 

52935793745_be5e4e26f2_b.jpg

Below isa picture taken  today . I think it's growing  . 

52935792910_cc337a8fa9_b.jpg

My larger HC Palmetto had only a little tip damage .

Below is an overview picture of the palm . 

52935863518_94c6e23d4e_b.jpg

Thanks for looking .

Will

• Like 4

On 5/31/2023 at 5:04 AM, Alex Zone 5 said:

No, thanks you, for sharing your pictures🌴

Keep us updated. 

Thanks Alex ; when I first pulled out the spear I tested the hole and it seemed really mushy kind of deep . I thought I would cut horizontally  down on the trunk till I hit hard live  tissue , but when I tested again it seemed like I hit  hard tissue not  that deeply  down into the bud . I poured some 3% hydrogen peroxide down into the hole a few times and I think the new spear  is growing . 

With all the rain I've had I think I will pour a little more peroxide in the hole as soon as I finish  typing this message to you . 

Will

Update , and it's officially growing now . For a while I thought maybe I didn't push  the stick down far enough , but in the new picture I am definitely at solid tissue and it's moving upwards pretty fast . I was a little nervous when a few weeks ago I pushed the stick into mush that I was worried went all the way into the bud . 

That  stick is an old dead petiole from that plant that I cut off to use as a measurer . It's not attached to the palm anymore . Looks like a good 2" of growth in about a week .

52959346602_151e98f50b_b.jpg

Edited by Will Simpson
  • Like 2